• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendary Mascots Discussion & Speculation

Years
  • There is a kind of flower in Hawaii, ʻōhiʻa lehua, which supposedly sprouts up after lava has flowed through an area. They're associated with goddesses like Pele and Laka. That would make for a nifty Grass/Fire type legendary: a flower that thrives in lava and fire. And to contrast it you could have a rain/storm Pokemon that's Water/Electric. Both would have a kind of destruction/renewal aspect to them since volcanos and lava are damaging, but leave behind fertile soil and storms are also damaging, but bring rain for things to grow.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    There is a kind of flower in Hawaii, ʻōhiʻa lehua, which supposedly sprouts up after lava has flowed through an area. They're associated with goddesses like Pele and Laka. That would make for a nifty Grass/Fire type legendary: a flower that thrives in lava and fire. And to contrast it you could have a rain/storm Pokemon that's Water/Electric. Both would have a kind of destruction/renewal aspect to them since volcanos and lava are damaging, but leave behind fertile soil and storms are also damaging, but bring rain for things to grow.

Grass/Fire has been on so many wishlists for so long. Like how Volcanion is Water/Fire, I think it would be awesome to introduce that type combination as a legendary mascot. The only problem with that though is that I think they'll unfortunately be directly related to the Sun and the Moon, rather than related to the region it might possibly be based on. I could see that as another legendary, for sure, but I think I would prefer if they did actually follow through with the matching of Sun/Moon.

I like Master of Meme's Sun Griffin, definitely. Not entirely sure about a bat, given how everybody already feels about Zubat, but a Sun Griffin is very much wanted. Let's make a legendary equal to Ho-Oh in aawesomeness. :')

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • So I mentioned in the Lunatone and Solrock thread that perhaps we'll see the concept of the 'Black Sun' used. It happens to be a phase that is spoken of in Alchemy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suns_in_alchemy). There is also a concept by the same name in Aztec mythology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_(mythology) If it uses the Alchemical view then it can be a Lion (green?) while with the Aztec view it can be a serpentine creature or a butterfly (legendary bug mascot!)

Edit: So looking at the concept more. Black Sun is related part of the first step of the Nigredo (blackening) or decomposition. It is apparently connected to the creation of the philosopher stone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigredo

Perhaps those crystals on the covers are components, halves/thirds of philosopher stones, or whole philosopher stones. Actually this kind of ties to the concept of Ash Greninja. It's only obtainable by a strong bond. I wonder if their bond was so strong that a part of Ash melted and melded into Greninja. Perhaps a similar thing will happen in S/M.

Last edited:

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • While I think it's entirely possible that we'll get our typical 2 Legendaries for 2 games like we've gotten since Gen 2, I had just thought of something... what if we get only one Legendary Pokémon, but it has two alternate Formes depending on those crystal items that are in the logos? In one game, you get the Sun-Forme, and in the other game you get the Moon-Forme?

Years
  • While I think it's entirely possible that we'll get our typical 2 Legendaries for 2 games like we've gotten since Gen 2, I had just thought of something... what if we get only one Legendary Pokémon, but it has two alternate Formes depending on those crystal items that are in the logos? In one game, you get the Sun-Forme, and in the other game you get the Moon-Forme?

That'll be interesting. Only time we've gotten something like this is with B2W2, but those were sequels within the same generation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Digimon beat you to it on like, 2007.... Sorry....

So what ? That doesn't mean Digimon has dibs on Apollo and Diana.
    I bet , Pokemon will create much better version of Apollo and Diana.

PS : The Sun Mascot might be a Pegasus

pkmin3033

Has anyone considered that we might not have Legendary mascots this go around? This is something I've been pondering more and more as we speculate. Simplification of the plot would mean no Legendaries, in all probability...and the first gen titles, which they're supposedly going to be drawing from in some fashion, had the starters as mascots, rather than Legendaries. Whilst the second gen had Lugia and Ho-Oh, neither of those played a role in the story either.

So, what if DO get Solrock and Lunatone as mascots to tie in with the region's motif - whatever that may be - and don't get mascot Legendaries instead? Or what if the games don't have mascots at all? It seems unlikely, but I think it'd be interesting to see how these games would be seen without the cutpasted half-arsed Legendary Pokemon plotline we've been forced to endure since the third generation.

There are a ton of fantastic ideas they could take inspiration from...but would you really WANT them to do so, when it's almost a guarantee that they're going to receive the same lack of development and exposition as every Legendary that has come before them? They're always Eleventh Hour Superpower or Doomsday Weapon creatures you capture just to keep the bad guys from getting their grubby mitts on them. If that's going to happen again - especially if the designs are as amazing as they have been in the past - I think it'd be better if we didn't have mascot Legendaries.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • That'll be interesting. Only time we've gotten something like this is with B2W2, but those were sequels within the same generation.

Yeah, although what I had in mind is a little different from Kyurem. I'm imagining something like this; a singular Pokemon that's pretty plain in design and maybe small(I'm having something like Eevee and Zigzagoon in mind). But when you have it hold one of the two special Items that it's linked to, depending on which of those it either transforms into its powerful and elaborately designed Sun Forme or Moon Forme.

Has anyone considered that we might not have Legendary mascots this go around? This is something I've been pondering more and more as we speculate. Simplification of the plot would mean no Legendaries, in all probability...and the first gen titles, which they're supposedly going to be drawing from in some fashion, had the starters as mascots, rather than Legendaries. Whilst the second gen had Lugia and Ho-Oh, neither of those played a role in the story either.

So, what if DO get Solrock and Lunatone as mascots to tie in with the region's motif - whatever that may be - and don't get mascot Legendaries instead? Or what if the games don't have mascots at all? It seems unlikely, but I think it'd be interesting to see how these games would be seen without the cutpasted half-arsed Legendary Pokemon plotline we've been forced to endure since the third generation.

There are a ton of fantastic ideas they could take inspiration from...but would you really WANT them to do so, when it's almost a guarantee that they're going to receive the same lack of development and exposition as every Legendary that has come before them? They're always Eleventh Hour Superpower or Doomsday Weapon creatures you capture just to keep the bad guys from getting their grubby mitts on them. If that's going to happen again - especially if the designs are as amazing as they have been in the past - I think it'd be better if we didn't have mascot Legendaries.

I'm all for the idea of not using Legendaries for mascots too, although I think I would much rather have them use new Pokemon instead of new ones. Unless Solrock and Lunatone gain much-needed Megas(I totally wanted this to happen in ORAS to make Tate and Liza more challenging, but alas), I don't think it would be as appealing to use old Pokemon to ring in a new Generation.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    We could always get the Zygarde cores, technically they're considered "new Pokémon" despite being only formes.

Core and Cell aren't considered Pokemon according to the Anime, only that they are used to make the new forms. Core and x number of cells are needed to make Zygard 10%, Zygard 50%, and Zygard Complete. So only those three are "New Pokemon".

Years
  • Core and Cell aren't considered Pokemon according to the Anime, only that they are used to make the new forms. Core and x number of cells are needed to make Zygard 10%, Zygard 50%, and Zygard Complete. So only those three are "New Pokemon".
    Well 10% and Perfect/Complete Zygarde are, 50% was in XY (and Zygarde 50% was officially revealed in the Corocoro after XY came out irc). Only newly introduced formes are considered "New Pokémon", alongside actual new ones.

Perhaps we won't get Pokémon as mascots...that'll be interesting...

NightmareClown

NightmareClown
    Years
  • Sun could be based on a Fox -vulpix, nine-tails, fenniken... Fire/psychic

Moon could be based on a panther- Umbreon... Dark/water

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I went through the Pokedex listings to see what type combos we don't have for Fairy yet, and I came up with a couple. Fire/Fairy for Sun, and Ice/Fairy for Moon. I chose Ice instead of Water because the sun's main purpose is to give off light/daytime and heat. When I think of the moon as a foil and opposite to the sun, I think of cold and darkness/nighttime. I went with the Fairy typing because I think combining it with Fire and Ice would make unique typings for the Legendaries.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I went through the Pokedex listings to see what type combos we don't have for Fairy yet, and I came up with a couple. Fire/Fairy for Sun, and Ice/Fairy for Moon. I chose Ice instead of Water because the sun's main purpose is to give off light/daytime and heat. When I think of the moon as a foil and opposite to the sun, I think of cold and darkness/nighttime. I went with the Fairy typing because I think combining it with Fire and Ice would make unique typings for the Legendaries.

I'd love to see these as the legendary mascots, and it's probably one of the most viable suggestions I've seen. Maybe the Ice/Fairy Pokemon would be the 'nicer' one in a twist, and that the Fire/Fairy one is darker, like opposite to Yveltal and Xerneas in a way. Interestingly if they added another forme of Xerneas, and made Grass/Fairy, and added another forme for Yveltal - each could be seen as opposites to Kalos' legendaries. Like, Fire/Fairy defeats Grass/Fairy and Ice/Fairy defeats Dark/Flying, so I can see that definitely tying into the connections Kalos has.

Years
  • The clouds on the covers makes me think that they might be flying types. Perhaps they could even be Ho-oh and Lugia...but in a new forme/Mega/Primal.

Years
  • Admittedly the way they're teasing the boxarts and saying "we can't let you see the pokemon yet!" kind of worries me that it may potentially be pokemon we already know.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Personally I'm hoping for a Lion for Sun version and a Wolf for Moon version. Types I'm unsure of, but I want those animals.

Back