• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Legendary Pokémon, Rival and Rotom unveiled

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • It didn't happen with Manaphy according to Bulbapedia's list of Manaphy events, non of them match the release dates of regions.

However, we have had an event given a distribution since as early as BW with the Liberty Ticket. B2W2 followed up with Genesect, XY with a H.A. Torchic (with the Blazikenite), and OrAs with a shiny Beldum (with the Metagrossite). Irc Victini was revealed prior to BW's release, so we will likely we will get Magearna on November 18. I expect such an announcement to be made in this month's corocoro or next month's.

Wasn't the Manaphy Egg through Pokemon Ranger? Which came out before Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Meaning that Manaphy was obtainable as soon as the game out.

Or was that with the second Pokemon Ranger game?

Last edited:
    Years
  • It didn't happen with Manaphy according to Bulbapedia's list of Manaphy events, non of them match the release dates of regions.

However, we have had an event given a distribution since as early as BW with the Liberty Ticket. B2W2 followed up with Genesect, XY with a H.A. Torchic (with the Blazikenite), and OrAs with a shiny Beldum (with the Metagrossite). Irc Victini was revealed prior to BW's release, so we will likely we will get Magearna on November 18. I expect such an announcement to be made in this month's corocoro or next month's.

I think you have a point. If we got events released around the time of the game launch so maybe Magearna could be a possibility to be the event that launches Sun & Moon on release day.

Wasn't the Manaphy Egg through Pokemon Ranger? Which came out before Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Meaning that Manaphy was obtainable as soon as the game out.

Or was that with the second Pokemon Ranger game?

It was the first Ranger game I believe, the egg was obtained via a mission there and was able to be transferred to the Sinnoh games.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    Explore the Alola Region Trailer Discussion

Where my Pokemon fans at?? With Pokemon's latest trailer "Explore the Alola Region in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon!" There is lots of new information that needs to be analyzed. We're talking Solgaleo, Lunala, the mysterious Rotom Pokedex and more! Personally I'm feeling a little indifferent about the typing of the Legendary Pokemon. How the hell is Solgaleo "The beast that devours the sun", but he's weak to fire?? Also how will this mysterious Rotom pokedex work? It all seems a little weird to me. Comment below your thoughts and speculations. I'd love to hear them!

Original Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW14HO7C1Dg

Trailer Discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBkx-s-nqUI

Last edited by a moderator:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Where my Pokemon fans at?? With Pokemon's latest trailer "Explore the Alola Region in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon!" There is lots of new information that needs to be analyzed. We're talking Solgaleo, Lunala, the mysterious Rotom Pokedex and more! Personally I'm feeling a little indifferent about the typing of the Legendary Pokemon. How the hell is Solgaleo "The beast that devours the sun", but he's weak to fire?? Also how will this mysterious Rotom pokedex work? It all seems a little weird to me. Comment below your thoughts and speculations. I'd love to hear them!

Original Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW14HO7C1Dg

Trailer Discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBkx-s-nqUI

Solgaleo as the beast that devours the sun is likely based on the Green lion, plus the fact that Iron and metals accumulating in the core of the sun will cause it to shrink into a white dwarf after turning into a red giant. I think Solgaleo is based more on the White Dwarf state of our Sun than any other state.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Since our Rotom-Dex is technically a Pokemon per-say, I hope we get to nickname it like we do with normal Pokemon. I want to nickname it JARVIS.

Years
  • Solgaleo might be avoiding the Fire-type to avoid being associated with a Pyroar, for instance. Which is itself underwhelming, because type-wise it has a weakness to Pyroar. Possibly it attacks the sun, but only after multiple stats moves until it can OHKO the sun.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Since our Rotom-Dex is technically a Pokemon per-say, I hope we get to nickname it like we do with normal Pokemon. I want to nickname it JARVIS.

We might be able to have conversations with our pokemon.... "Jarvis, tell me what Jynx is saying..."
    "I'm Niki Minaj... bow before me"

Years
  • Wouldn't be the first time we've got a Pokemon that has a type weakness against what it's supposed to represent, though.

Legendary Pokémon, Rival and Rotom unveiled

Giratina is an interesting Pokemon, it's the only one who is weak against both it's typings. Lunala's weakness to ghost like Giratina also makes it weak against what it's meant to represent. But they are both ghosts and the type is weak against itself, or did you mean the Dark type?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Solgaleo might be avoiding the Fire-type to avoid being associated with a Pyroar, for instance. Which is itself underwhelming, because type-wise it has a weakness to Pyroar. Possibly it attacks the sun, but only after multiple stats moves until it can OHKO the sun.

I think this may be one of the main reasons for this. I am honestly really surprised that they brought Solgaleo out right after Pyroar. But now we can play Scar and Simba :P Simba is Pyroar and Scar is Solgaleo :p

Anyway, Solgaleo also reminds me a lot of one of the bit beasts from the Original Beyblade Series. Which name was in fact Galeon, but of a different color.

So Galeon and Solgaleo are probably based off the same thing.

Last edited:

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • Solgaleo's Psychic/Steel typing definitely surprised me as well. But as other said before, the fact that most suns have a steel core, it makes sense -> steel to store the sun's power/energy.
    Psychic legendaries always stroke me in a weird way - I guess that's because of the three lake guardians. But those dual typings, albeit not innovative, make for some cool change.
    For Lunaala I would've loved Ghost/Fairy, but Psychic/Ghost is fine as well.
    Psychic representing space for both of them is also a solid design.
    And I really love that those two don't get the same ability (or mirrored versions), like past duos.

Years
  • I really wish they would've gotten more unique abilities, though! Lunaala basically has Multiscale and Solgaleo has Clear Body, just with different names.

This is what I didn't like about these legendaries, not because we're sick of Psychic legendaries, but the fact their abilities were promoted as "new" when they're just a reskinned Clear Body and Multiscale.

You also have to consider how many legendary mascots never got unique abilities.

Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina only had Pressure slapped onto them, which was a common ability for legendaries up to that point.

Reshiram and Zekrom had what was essentially a reskinned Mold Breaker, while Kyurem (not counting its alternate formes) had Pressure as well.

Groudon and Kyogre had unique abilities, at least at the time of their introduction. They did the same purpose as each other, but the weather condition summoned was different. Rayquaza has what is essentially the same as Cloud Nine.

Xerneas and Yveltal had their own unique ability that wasn't a reskinned version of another. The two were the same except they powered up attacks of a certain type respectively, in this case Fairy and Dark.

Years
  • This is what I didn't like about these legendaries, not because we're sick of Psychic legendaries, but the fact their abilities were promoted as "new" when they're just a reskinned Clear Body and Multiscale.

You also have to consider how many legendary mascots never got unique abilities.

Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina only had Pressure slapped onto them, which was a common ability for legendaries up to that point.

Reshiram and Zekrom had what was essentially a reskinned Mold Breaker, while Kyurem (not counting its alternate formes) had Pressure as well.

Groudon and Kyogre had unique abilities, at least at the time of their introduction. They did the same purpose as each other, but the weather condition summoned was different. Rayquaza has what is essentially the same as Cloud Nine.

Xerneas and Yveltal had their own unique ability that wasn't a reskinned version of another. The two were the same except they powered up attacks of a certain type respectively, in this case Fairy and Dark.

Meanwhile Zygarde's ability reflected the abilities of XY back at them to reduce their Fairy and Dark moves. Giratina origin meanwhile got Levitate. Anyways, I wonder what move the third could get if they make another third following what happened to Zygarde. The abilities of Sol and Luna focus on protection. Solgaleo's against stats and Lunaala's against hits that lower it from full Hp. Going by that route I expect a third to get a version of Magic bounce or Overcoat. I also kind of expect it to be Dark/Water to resist their secondary types and guard against Psychic. In other words the opposite of the type relation of the Mortality trio.

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • I really wish they would've gotten more unique abilities, though! Lunaala basically has Multiscale and Solgaleo has Clear Body, just with different names.
    This is what I didn't like about these legendaries, not because we're sick of Psychic legendaries, but the fact their abilities were promoted as "new" when they're just a reskinned Clear Body and Multiscale.
    Hey, at least it's not Pressure [It's something \o/] But in my book, this is definitely a step in the right direction, although they are just reskins.
    But all the other legendaries could've been so much more awesome with cool, unique abilities. Shame. *sigh*

Meanwhile Zygarde's ability reflected the abilities of XY back at them to reduce their Fairy and Dark moves. Giratina origin meanwhile got Levitate. Anyways, I wonder what move the third could get if they make another third following what happened to Zygarde. The abilities of Sol and Luna focus on protection. Solgaleo's against stats and Lunaala's against hits that lower it from full Hp. Going by that route I expect a third to get a version of Magic bounce or Overcoat. I also kind of expect it to be Dark/Water to resist their secondary types and guard against Psychic. In other words the opposite of the type relation of the Mortality trio.
    Yup, I'm curious what our 3rd legend will bring to the table (IF we'll get one - ya never know with good ol' GameFreak).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yup, I'm curious what our 3rd legend will bring to the table (IF we'l get one - ya never know with good ol' GameFreak).

Game Freak love to surprise us lately, so there's the possibility we could not have a third legendary this time around. Especially considering how Zygarde was the first third-wheel mascot legendary to lack its own game.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Can't believe how quick E3 has come around. Hoping for something good again as past events have been good for reveals.

Years
  • A third legendary that's the personification of living stars or a comet or something would be nice, although considering we're talking about alchemy here as the supposed theme, I'm not sure how that would fit in.
    The star is a symbol in the occult and alchemy too.

So, I was looking for star symbols and then I decided to search up Platinum's symbol as Gold and Silver are linked to Sun and Moon respectively, and Platinum is our third metal. Well...what I found were the Moon and Sun symbols together with the moon to the left of the Sun. In order words it brings to mind the eclipse. So the symbol raises my confidence in two theories, that the third game if made will be eclipse, and possibly have a fusion of Solgaleo and Lunala, possibly based on a Manticore.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I hope the third "mascot" legendary is basically Cthulhu.

I don't know if octopuses have any symbolism within alchemy, but the name Marshadow, the Hawaiian belief about octopuses, Cthulhu's status as a Great Old One and resemblance to octopuses all make it a reasonable fit.

Years
  • I hope the third "mascot" legendary is basically Cthulhu.

I don't know if octopuses have any symbolism within alchemy, but the name Marshadow, the Hawaiian belief about octopuses, Cthulhu's status as a Great Old One and resemblance to octopuses all make it a reasonable fit.

You know, an octopus design based on Cthulhu would definitely support the speculation for it being part-Water. But like you said, I can't see where an octopus would fit in an alchemy theme.

Back