• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Like A Virgin

Melody

Banned
Years
  • Teenage pregnancy isn't necessarily a good thing unless the couple is already independent, and are already as responsible as any adult, AND they have parental permission to have a kid. Beyond that, I think it should be illegal and result in VERY STIFF PENALTIES such as having the kid taken away until they reach adulthood.

Now for having a kid outside of marriage or having pre-marital sex in general, I don't believe it's wrong. It's not a real sin, for it says in the bible that we should all "be fruitful and reproduce" anyway.

Now I do admit the bible does caution against pre-marital sex/childbearing because of the obvious problems attached with that. Usually an unmarried couple isn't fully ready to support a kid yet and provide all the things it needs such as necessities as well as love and mentoring from BOTH parents.

Years
  • The point of the "no children until after marriage" thing, at least in ancient times, was to ensure that the child has a devoted father and a devoted mother to care for them. That's why, even in today's modern society, it's highly recommended that both parents be involved in the child's life even if they are divorced/separated.
    I think it was also that men wanted to know they were raising their biological offspring (not that men did a whole lot of raising, historically speaking) and not someone else's because plenty of men are sensitive like that.

That's the biggest deal with teen pregnancies. They're teenagers with raging hormones they don't feel like controlling (they certainly didn't have a child because they wanted one). With an accident like this, typically there is gonna be little devotion from the mother, and almost zero from the father, which is why this type of behavior should be discouraged. At least adults feel some responsibility for an unwanted child; teenage guys aren't going to accept any of this 90% of the time. If I messed up and had a child, I am sorry to admit I wouldn't accept him/her, and I would tell the mother to put it up for adoption.
    Adults have hormones, too, and they might have had a longer time to learn to control them, but they have their own places, don't have curfews, and generally are more free to have business time. I don't think the difference between teens and adults is as big as you make it out to be.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • All I can say to this is people have sex when they feel they're ready. There should be no law to tell them when and when they can't have sex with someone, to a degree. I do believe 16+ is a good age.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Teenage pregnancy? A no for me.
    Pregnancy before marriage? Go ahead. My parents have had me and my sister, and they're not married. If you can support a family go for it.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I don't support pregnancy in any form outside of marriage, and I think teen pregnancy is a real problem. Children deserve a mother and a father, not just one parent, and we have enough kids in the orphanages without adding to the problem. Of course, there is a way to completely prevent pregnancy, but some people don't have the self-control, I guess? Obviously, rape victims are exempt from this.
    I'm not attacking you or anything, but where do you stand on lesbians using a sperm donor (or whatever)? Just out of curiosity.

I've been in 3 different high schools, and each one has had abstinence-only education. Guess what? Pregnancy everywhere.
    Really? The school where I go basically laughs at abstinence. They know it will never happen and teach how to have sex safely.

Apparently, kids today are too retarded to go to the store and buy a box of condoms. You don't even need a box, men's restrooms have condom vending machines.

You have to remember that out of the many teenagers who do have sex, this is true for only a tiny proportion of them. Not every teen is pregnant you know.

Years
  • Children don't need a mother AND a father. I hate this way of thinking. You don't need both, it is fine if you're a single parent or in a homosexual relationship. Why exactly do we need both? You aren't going to become messed up from having just one parent or one gender parenthood.

Plenty of parents raise children on their own, be it IVF, partner leaving them or their partner passing away. People seem to be stuck to the idea that you MUST have a mother and a father, when it makes no real difference.

As for sex, teenagers will have sex. Some will sleep around, others will stick to one partner. It's up to them. We can't stop them so we need to just accept that it's NATURAL.

And as for love, you can love at any age. When you're an infant, you will love the person who raises you, are you saying this isn't possible? When you're 14, whats to stop you finding the love of your life? I've read stories of people who started dating at 12 and are happily married at 50 or so. Age is not the factor in love, maturity is.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    If you've got the money and the means to provide for a child then why not.

However in my opinion you're throwing away the best years of your life.

If I was a pregnant teen, I would give my baby up for adoption.

There are plenty of couples dying to have kids that can't conceive who would give these children loving homes and stability. Adoption is fair for the child, the mother and the childless couples.

Of course none of this would be necessary if kids today just used contraception.

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • Teenage pregnancy / pregnancy without getting married? What do you think?

Discuss~

like a virgin, touch for the very first time
    Teen pregancy = Lol
    W/O getting married = oh lol we have a piece of paper and a 1337$ ring, how much different were we from a few days ago?

I don't think it's good at all. Fornication's a sin by my book.
    Lol a book, go by your life man. Just because some book said it doesn't mean you have to listen.

If they're worried about divorce, they shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
    You never know what crap can jump up.

1. I don't think homosexual couples should be allowed to adopt, because I don't believe in homosexual relations period. No offence intended.

2. But we're not animals :/
    1. Lol he's gay let's put him in the zoo with the shimpanzas, hell no. What's wrong with gay peps adopting kids?

2. Something that finds an X and Y shouldn't be called an animal (damnit trigonometry and other math crap nobody cares about >.>)

Humans are animals.
    Personally I think what "humans" class as "animals" are better than ourselves. Animals never had a war.

And homosexual couples have something to do with this thread, as they can adopt children in states that they cannot marry.

Plus homosexuality is found in 60,000 animals species and I have dated more women than I have men so, clearly they exist, therefore, you can't NOT believe in them.
    War is because a stupid side won't just let their discipline go.
    Animals doesn't adopt children lol.

Let's keep this topic on a matter of maturity and pregnancy rather than the act of sex or any of that business there, okay? Just fyi, I'll be monitoring this thread.
    Finally a post that looks like more of a post..
    Somewhat.
    Teenage pregnancy is entirely dependent on the situation. If the person has decided thats definitely the route she wants to take in life and she is mentally mature enough to handle pregnancy and motherhood, as well as having the correct resources for a child, then why not, although having all three of those things seems unlikely. On a personal level, I wouldnt want to be a father until at least 30, because that will give me the time to do all the other things in life other than create; even then it wouldn't be a priority for me.

Yeah a 17yo guy has so much work places to work at and can bring a lotta money to home.
    And it IS unlikely to have the resources.

As for Teenage Sex in general, I dont have much of a problem with that, but once again i would stress that both parties should be emotionally prepared for it.

What about financially prepared?
    I wonder about the family reaction..

Sex and pregnancy without marriage? I dont see any moral, emotional or physical reason why marriage is necessary for sex. Although, once again I think that the couple should be financially ready and responsible. What difference is there between having sex and having sex with a certificate in a cupboard somewhere?

I'd again lol at people who overrate marriage, just tbh I can marry but I didn't do much about it, oh some time later nobody remembers it.

Oh god, this thread is absolutely hilarious.

Teens have sex. Accept it. Teens get pregnant too. That's what happens when you have sex without protection. Our schools suck at informing teenagers about what they can do to protect themselves. I've been in 3 different high schools, and each one has had abstinence-only education. Guess what? Pregnancy everywhere.

Never knew I'd meet someone who can say the truth.

Apparently, kids today are too retarded to go to the store and buy a box of condoms. You don't even need a box, men's restrooms have condom vending machines.

Some aren't retarded, I won't both going to a store to get condoms, but a 16yo buying condoms is a little lol, but they'll sell it anyway, no law to not sell it.

Not if you ask for forgiveness.
    Forgiveness about something you didn't do bad..?

I predict a warning coming my way.. so opinions expressed.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    1. I don't think homosexual couples should be allowed to adopt, because I don't believe in homosexual relations period. No offence intended.

2. But we're not animals :/

Well offense taken pal.

Why shouldn't gay people have the right to be happy just because they were born different from you.

Heres something to think about. You can actually believe in God and (heaven forbid) think for yourself, instead of being spoon-fed religious dogma that only acts as a coward's shield for bigotry and hate.

Anyway a lot of gay relationships are better environments for raising kids than some straight ones.

https://www.youtube.com/user/depfox?blend=1&ob=4

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Umm. Usually teenagers don't want to get pregnant. Being a parent is unbelievably demanding, and takes away from time you should be spending on things like getting an education. So yeah, I'd heavily advise against it.

If you're somehow ridiculously rich and mature and want to spend all that time and exert all that effort, though, I guess it's okay.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • My hometown in Ontario is #1 in the county for drugs and teen pregnancies. There's at least 15 girls pregnant every year at one of our schools. Why? You can't afford a child, and I don't see your child's biological father anywhere! So why did you just risk your entire education and your life (since most can't and don't get back on track with their education after having a kid in their teens) for a spur-of-the-moment, unprotected fun ride?

If you're pregnant as a teen, you're not mature anyway. You can't raise a kid on 16,000$/year! And if you live with your parents, good job putting them in the hole for cash for the next few years :| If they bother to deal with you and your irresponsibility, that is.

I don't agree with it at all. Teens are technically the best time to get pregnant (when considering the body), but in today's world, it's not because you've barely touched your most important educational studies. 95% chance if you get pregnant, you just flopped your life financially, unless you marry a rich man / an educated man with a college or university degree.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • This. To be honest I think marriage is an outdated idea, I mean what's the difference between being partners and being partners with a slip of paper saying you are married.

As for teen pregnancy, I think that if she wishes to keep it then that is fine, but I personally would say that an abortion is the best idea, as having a child that early would restrict your future dramatically.

As for this. What exactly sets us apart from animals in your opinion then?
    Intelligence? If that's so why can apes and crows use tools just like we (as a genus) did?
    Warfare? Animals battle over territory just as much as we do, except we do it on a larger scale.
    Souls? Well I don't believe we have souls/spirits anyway, so you know
    What else is there to set us apart?

Question 1: Because if we take out that 1000 dollar piece of paper forcing legal obligations on people, there will be a boatload of shallow idiots that no longer feel obligated to treat sex and family as anything more than an animalistic urge. It would become inevitable that family and sex would become casualized.

These are what we call family values, and taking them out of the pictures goes a long way towards moral decay.

Also, Marriage involves a LOT more than that piece of paper. There are financial benefits, security benefits in having it be a legal thing as opposed to hi, we're married, you have no choice but to believe us.

Basically, Marriage has a big part in society and removing it without extensive planning would wind up being a catastrophe.

HOWEVER. On the TOPIC, I think it's not necessarily wrong for someone to get pregnant before marriage, just as long as their intentions are good. It's sort of situational.

Question 2: Best idea is not to get pregnant in the first place until you're ready. Just sayin', abortion is more of a last resort.

Question 3: Our belief that we have free will and animals do not is essentially what sets us apart from "animals".

Ayselipera

Well I don't think teenagers should be having babies, but I also think premarital sex when involving teenagers is okay as long as they use protection. Since I am a teenager and I of course am surrounded by teenagers five days out of the week I know that we/they are usually not mature enough to even handle their own silly problems never mind taking care of another human. When it comes down to it if you're young and are sexually active then use protection. Unless there is some kind of accident during, the two parties involved really don't have a great excuse for it.

I don't think it's necessary to get married before pregnancy. I personally don't see why people even want to get married. If I were to fall in love with someone I would be perfectly fine just being with them forever without getting married. I don't need a paper and a ring to define our love or be official in the eyes of the state. With that being said I'm fine with prepared adults having a child without being married.

Flipnotic

shroomylove.blogspot.com
    Years
  • im against it.
    only way i would have a child at my age (which is 20) is if i had paris hilton's money.
    i believe people shouldn't have a child until they are emotionally and financially stable..such as engaged/married with a decent house, car, and job.
    and can actually afford to have a child.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • However in my opinion you're throwing away the best years of your life.
    Ah, I really agree with this. You only get to be a kid once, that we know of, so I don't see why people need to rush into having children and marriage straight away. If you really like someone, sure, do whatever, but if you're still a teenager you should be out doing teenager things, not adult things. A lot of kids this generation don't even have the brains to raise a child, let alone the money.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Pregancy outside of marriage is perfectly okay to me. Come on, don't tell me you have not heard of single women in their forties? They are still capable of getting pregnant. Marriage, afterall, is just a certificate and rings obtained after going through all sorts of ceremonies. You don't need to be married to have a kid. All you need is money and love. Otherwise single people are unable to adopt, which is certainly not the case.

As for teenage pregnancy, what is done is done. Good luck raising/aborting/giving away the kid.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I'm not attacking you or anything, but where do you stand on lesbians using a sperm donor (or whatever)? Just out of curiosity.

For the sake of my online sanity, well-being and the lack of desire to offend others, I will keep my opinion to myself. I refuse to discuss homosexuality as well as a few other topics on the internet, mostly because no matter what stance I take, someone's gonna be offended, and these discussions are fruitless on teh interwebz (now, IRL, I'm not afraid to discuss it because those at least get somewhere instead of two people yelling at each other). As you can see, some people have insinuated it was wrong, and one person outright said it was wrong, and look at how they're being treated.

And why are so many people defending single parenting? There's nothing wrong with it, but it's a whole lot better to have two parents than just one. If it's just one parent, unless they are filthy rich, they're either gonna be short on parenting the kid or short on making a living. To all the people that were raised by a single mom or dad and got out well, good for you. I'm just saying what is typically better. One of my friends went to jail for a year, but he got out and now has a stable job with enough money to get by on. Is his life good? Yes. Would it've been better if he didn't go to jail? Almost certainly.

Pregnancy outside of a stable union can be very difficult. I'd be extremely impressed if they stayed together without any promise of commitment, such as getting married (even if it is "just a piece of paper," it's not something you can just walk out on).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I see it way too much in my school. I know girls that already have two children. It's insane. I'm personally disgusted with premarital sex in general for personal reasons. Most mothers in my school are just...well, not good. We know how they act in and out of school, we know what they spend money on...if it's a teenager who is responsible, and hopefully has a responsible father for that child, then okay, whatever. I hope they really love each other. None of my business anyway, of course. If you're living in the streets with no money and start having sex without protection, that's on your shoulders.

I'm not trying to sit here and attack people who do fall in that category, but...I don't know. Why waste your childhood? I'm only 17 and I'm realizing how fast it blew by. I'm just two weeks from graduating. It hits hard at that point. Not much left. I can't imagine going through high school with a child (maybe more in some cases) at home.

There's a couple at my school who are already married and have a child. It's crazy, I know.

And why are so many people defending single parenting? There's nothing wrong with it, but it's a whole lot better to have two parents than just one. If it's just one parent, unless they are filthy rich, they're either gonna be short on parenting the kid or short on making a living. To all the people that were raised by a single mom or dad and got out well, good for you. I'm just saying what is typically better. One of my friends went to jail for a year, but he got out and now has a stable job with enough money to get by on. Is his life good? Yes. Would it've been better if he didn't go to jail? Almost certainly.

Er, being raised by a single parent the majority of my life, I personally think it was better. My dad wouldn't have done anything if he and my mom had stayed married. It would just be me coming home to a bum lying on the couch. And that's not me hating on my dad, I love him, but he's just really lazy. It's not typically better if the father (sometimes mother even) is in no condition to raise children. I don't want to have a banker for a mom and a drug dealer for a dad. It'd be more healthy growing up with just my mom than with her and a drug dealer. Just an example, of course. There could be worse things out there. Just my two cents on that one, though.

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I think that teenage pregnancy is bad because I feel that the mother AND father are both really too young to have to have the responsibility of handling a child. They'll have very little freedom, time, and money, to do the things they want (like school) and have to make a lot of sacrifices for the kid. I also think that many of them need to experience a little more about the world and mature a lot before they're ready to bring up a baby.

Having a baby before marriage if the person is older, more prepared for the situation (a house, savings, a job, an education, and possibly a way of transportation or easy access to amenities) is perfectly fine as long as the couple plans to be together or can at least work together to bring up the child.

Either way, I just would like to see the child brought up in a GOOD environment where they could be looked after and brought up properly.

Back