• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Years
  • I gotta say, I LOVE Trubbish and Garbador (not sure if I spelled Garbador right).
    At first, I was REALLY disappointed in those designs, but then I noticed "Hey! Those are based on garbage bags!" and I fell in love with them.
    Especially Trubbish. It's so adorable in its own way!

It was love at first sight for me and Erufuun.
    I'm so dismayed by the English name that I now refuse to use it. :c
    Erufuun is much more fitting than Whimsicott...
    Heh. c: Back on topic, I really have grown to love these new Pokemon.
    ...Except for that one dragon that looks like it belongs in Digimon. HATEHATEHATEHATE it.

I love almost all Pokémon except Garbodor and Trubbish. Sorry, but they aren't my cup of tea. If you talking about Druddigon then I agree. Hydriegon no because it looks awesome! But I've got to say Volcarona is my new favorite Pokémon. It used to be Gallade. I love Zekrom and Reshiram, but I feel like they could govern something like light and darkness (day and night). Reshiram has one lamentable thing though. That little tuft of hair... One more thing. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Reshiram be better because it uses special moves and Zekrom uses physical moves and he can get burned, poisoned, and etcetera because he uses physical moves. Unless most Pokémon with a contact-effect have less defense. Based on design I like Zekrom better because hebhas arms and wings and I tend to like dragons like that unless they're trying to ear you. xD lol

Last edited:

JFire

Quilava Lover
    Years
  • My Review of Every 5th Generation Pokemon

This list is based on my impressions from looking at them, not playing them. This will be harsh, and possibly biased. I don't feel like many of these pokemon belong with the rest. (Not even with Bidoof)

Victini - Umm, squirrel thing? Kinda stupid looking, but it has a plusle/minun vibe that I like.

Snivy Line - This has definitely been done before, and better. That said, Serperior is okay looking.

Tepig Line - 3 generations in a row with the Fire starter being paired with a fighting type, be original. This line looks stupid, though I've never been a fan of fat things.

Oshawott Line - Otter with red nose to badass looking otter to... skinny walrus??? The line makes no sense. Though it is probably the best looking of the 3 starters.

Patrat and Watchog - No terrible, though not original. It reminds me too much of Sentret.

Lillipup Line - Kinda just look like long haired show dogs, and I just don't like their overall look.

Purrloin and Liepard - Looks like Meowth mixed with Skitty, for stupid results.

3 Monkeys - These are retarded looking, and they kinda take the awesomeness factor away from the starters.

Munna and Musharna - I have a serious problem with this line, specifically Musharna. The thing looks like a fetus, and it just weirds me out.

Pidove Line - Generic bird line, not much to say other than I hate the decision to make Unfezant's head pink.

Blitzle and Zebstrika - Finally out of the generic normal types, but I still feel like the game is copying earlier designs. The line is unique and good looking enough that I'll give it a pass.

Roggenrola Line - Do these things even have faces? Roggenrola reminds me of Magnemite, but the other two look like Nosepass' evolution.

Woobat/Swoobat and Drillbut/Excadrill - I hate these like I hate Bidoof and his evo. That's bad.

Audino - Freaky ass teletubby?

Timburr Line - There is just no point to these at all. I feel like they're an attempt to match Slakoth's Line. Just bad looking.

Tympole Line - Poliway did you mutate into a freakish looking toad thing? D:

Throw and Sawk - I'm not even gonna go into Sawk's name, but these guys do at least seem original. They still don't fit pokemon.

Sewaddle Line - didn't they just do this in the forth gen?

Venipede Line - Gross. Overly pink. None of them actually look like centipedes.

Cottonee and Whimsicott - What are these I don't even.

Petilil and Liligant - I'll accept these solely on the fact that I accept Oddish.

Basculin - Knockoff piranha thing from 3rd gen. Cool that it has two forms though.

Sandile Line - Sure why not, it's interesting enough.

Darumaka and Darmanitan - These look like stupid imps I'm sorry.

Maractus - Cactus thing from digimon.

Dwabble and Crustle - a hermit crab and then Parasect with a minecraft block on his back, great.

Scraggy and Scrafty - Bidoof 2.0

Sigilyph - Is this Unown's evolved form or something? What the hell.

Yamask and Confagrigus - Yeah... No comment.

Tirtouga and Carracosta - Very interesting, I actually like these a little bit.

Archen and Archeops - Dodo's died for a reason.

Trubbish and Garbodor - Tangela and it's evolution, but worse.

Zorua and Zoroark - I kinda like these two.

Minccino and Cinccino - Okay, I like these, why weren't they the rodent normal type.

Gothita line - Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Solosis - I don't know what to say about this, it's cute but I don't get a pokemon vibe from it.

Ducklett and Swanna - I guess this hasn't been done before, but they're both just too cartoony.

Vanilite Line - A floating ice cream cone, words dessert me (get it!? Ha....)

Deerling and Sawsbuck - Bambi meets pokemon... These guys are okay in all honesty.

Emolga - Minun/Plusle vibe again, but twice in the same game? I don't know about that.

Karrablast and Escavalier - How exactly are these bugs? They joins the ranks of the stupid.

Foongus and Amoonguss - Is this like Voltorb meets Vileplume? That's just a stupid combination.

Frillish through Alomomola - Uncreative, stupid. Stupid.

Joltic and Galvantula - Actually pretty nice.

Ferroseed and Ferrothorn - I really don't care for plants too much, so I think you should take my description of "stupid" with a grain of salt as far as plants go in this list.

Klink through Chandelure - All freaking stupid

Axew Line - Starts out okay, ends badass looking. Looks like War Greymon or something, not a pokemon.

Cubchoo and Beartic - Stupid, polar bears with ice beards. This is the weirdest design ever.

Cryogonal through Bisharp - Stupiiiiiiiiiiiid

Bouffalant - Taurus is that you??? Did you grow and afro?

Rufflet and Braviary - Very nice, I actually do like these.

Vullaby and Mandibuzz - Umm, not great but not terrible. Could easily have been better.

Heatmor through Virizion - All stupiiiiiid.

Tornadus and Thundurus - Are these the same thing? What the hell.

Reshiram - Ugly, overpowered typing. I've never been one for legendaries though.

Zekrom - A lot better looking than Reshiram, honestly if I wasn't so hateful towards the rest of the pokemon in this game I would like this guy.

Landorus - Why is this guy after the two main legendaries from this game? Also why does he look exactly like the other two?

Everything else - Stupid.

So, out of all the new Pokemon, I only liked - Zekrom, Rufflet and Braviary, Joltic and Galvantula, Deerling and Sawsbuck, Minccino and Cinccino, Zorua and Zoroark, Tirtouga and Carracosta, the Sandile Line, and the Oshawott Line minus Oshawott. For a grand total or 18 out of 156. Barely 10% of the group.

I just cannot find myself enjoying this game, despite all of the graphic and gameplay improvements. I'm just hoping they decide to remake the third generation, and maybe forget most of the pokemon introduced in Black and White.

JFire

Quilava Lover
    Years
  • Very biased. Someone doesn't like Gen V very much. :o

It's just they don't fit with the rest for the most part. I did find some good in the bunch, but I didn't feel that the good made all of that bad worth it.

Some looked cartoony like Bidoof, others looked overly Metallic and shiny like a Digimon. I don't hate cartoons, I don't hate Digimon (actually I love digimon), but I don't like the fact that these were thrown into a game with very subdued and almost natural looking pokemon. A lot of them looked like they were weird just for the sake of being weird, the only one from Kanto that was like that was like Tangela.

I found some mildly okay, but even that number was well under half of the number that I thought were stupid. I'm just sad that they didn't stick with what worked well.

Still, my little cousins like it. So, whatever, maybe it's time to move on.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    That is great, but merged with our Likes/Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon thread as it is best suited here.

HXPET.gif

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Snivy Line - This has definitely been done before, and better. That said, Serperior is okay looking.

Purrloin and Liepard - Looks like Meowth mixed with Skitty, for stupid results.

Woobat/Swoobat and Drillbut/Excadrill - I hate these like I hate Bidoof and his evo. That's bad.

Timburr Line - There is just no point to these at all. I feel like they're an attempt to match Slakoth's Line. Just bad looking.

Scraggy and Scrafty - Bidoof 2.0

Sigilyph - Is this Unown's evolved form or something? What the hell.

Gothita line - Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Ducklett and Swanna - I guess this hasn't been done before, but they're both just too cartoony.

Karrablast and Escavalier - How exactly are these bugs? They joins the ranks of the stupid.

Frillish through Alomomola - Uncreative, stupid. Stupid.

Klink through Chandelure - All freaking stupid

Vullaby and Mandibuzz - Umm, not great but not terrible. Could easily have been better.

Tornadus and Thundurus - Are these the same thing? What the hell.

Everything else - Stupid.

I'm just hoping they decide to remake the third generation, and maybe forget most of the pokemon introduced in Black and White.

Imma go through and comment on the ones that stood out to me, because half the time I think your comments really have no reasoning or facts to back them up. Don't take this the wrong way, I'd just like to see your perspective better than just "stupid" when you're not actually suggesting how they could be changed, and then you've got the fact that a lot of people do generally like these Pokemon, etc.

Snivy: Done before? You mean Treecko? There's a bit of difference but personally I feel like Snivy seems to havemore attitude.

Purrloin: Hey at least it's not Purugly.

Woobat/Drillbur: Why do you hate them? Is there any specific reason? Maybe go through and look at the fanart of these Pokemon, since the second one is at least favoured competitively, soo.

Timburr: 99% sure they're closer to Machoke's line than Slacking, considering that these ones are fighting types etc.

Scraggy: Bidoof? o____O Pretty sure Scraggy looks nothing like Bidoof.

Sigilyph: Nope, it's unique :x

Gothita: Why is it stupid? How would you improve upon it, and the rest in its evolutionary line?

Ducklett: I actually find the cartoon aspect of them cute :3

Karrablast: Pretty sure Karrablast looks like a beatle at least.

Frillish - Alomomola: Why are they uncreative? Tell me how they could've been more creative. It's a jellyfish princess, what isn't creative about that :(

Klink - Chandelure: Why are they stupid? Could you come up with better ideas? If so, share.

Vullaby: How could've they been better?

Tornadus: Their designs are different actually.

Really from all of this, I'd not like to see your thoughts on generation 4, considering in most opinions, Black and White Pokemo were a step up from them, in fact... a lot of these Pokemon weren't that bad and I feel that if you think this way about these Pokemon, you'd generally be more judgemental about the rest. Or really, it could just be nostalgia reasons affecting your decisions. If these were the first Pokemon released I'm pretty sure you'd have a better opinion of them, having known them for over 10 years, whereas these ones literally only over a year or so. Either way, this thread allows you to explain why you think the Pokemon were stupid and how you'd improve upon them (since I kind of got sick of commenting on them) so share your thoughts on the changes you'd make :) Maybe even draw/sprite some, if you can and then maybe we'll agree with your comments, otherwise without anything further I'm afraid that we can't properly see your point of view.

Oh and the Pokemon from Black and White won't be forgotten by R/S remakes, they are there to stay.

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
  • What makes me sad about Gen V designs is that almost every Pokémon that looks cute evolves into something ugly.

535.png
    >
    537.png

602.png
    >
    Spr_5b_604.png

:(

JFire

Quilava Lover
    Years
  • Responses are bolded.

Snivy: Done before? You mean Treecko? There's a bit of difference but personally I feel like Snivy seems to havemore attitude.

It's like, they could've been more creative and make it like a rodent or something. I know there are some differences.

Purrloin: Hey at least it's not Purugly.

True.

Woobat/Drillbur: Why do you hate them? Is there any specific reason? Maybe go through and look at the fanart of these Pokemon, since the second one is at least favoured competitively, soo.

Drillbur was the better looking of the two (mainly his evo), though I just really hate that they're so cartoony.

Timburr: 99% sure they're closer to Machoke's line than Slacking, considering that these ones are fighting types etc.

They just look more like Slacking's line is all.

Scraggy: Bidoof? o____O Pretty sure Scraggy looks nothing like Bidoof.

I meant in derp factor.

Sigilyph: Nope, it's unique :x

I know. It just looks like it has an Unown for a head. I was trying to be a little sarcastic with a few of these "reviews"

Gothita: Why is it stupid? How would you improve upon it, and the rest in its evolutionary line?

Delete them.

Ducklett: I actually find the cartoon aspect of them cute :3

That's why they don't fit with the originals and on up to the 3rd gen, it's why I don't like Bidoof at all.

Karrablast: Pretty sure Karrablast looks like a beatle at least.

Sorta.

Frillish - Alomomola: Why are they uncreative? Tell me how they could've been more creative. It's a jellyfish princess, what isn't creative about that :(

Maybe those two were a little creative, but there are a lot of similarities between (Luvdisc?) and Alomomola

Klink - Chandelure: Why are they stupid? Could you come up with better ideas? If so, share.

They do not fit with everything else. It wouldn't make sense to have something that looks like a real lizard next to a Charmander would it?

Vullaby: How could've they been better?

The egg could've been removed, a serious face doesn't match a cutesy thing like a baby in an egg. On Mandibuzz the belt thing that it's wearing could've been kept closer to its belly.

Tornadus: Their designs are different actually.

The tail thingies are and their colors. Very lazy.

Really from all of this, I'd not like to see your thoughts on generation 4, considering in most opinions, Black and White Pokemo were a step up from them,

The generation 4 pokemon matched the rest of the existing pokemon well. My main issue with the new pokemon is that they look nothing like the old ones.

in fact... a lot of these Pokemon weren't that bad and I feel that if you think this way about these Pokemon, you'd generally be more judgemental about the rest.

I actually forced myself to look at these with as little subjectivity as possible and I found that I liked a few of them, but I hate the vast majority of them even more.

Or really, it could just be nostalgia reasons affecting your decisions. If these were the first Pokemon released I'm pretty sure you'd have a better opinion of them, having known them for over 10 years, whereas these ones literally only over a year or so.

Well sure, a lot of these look great alone, but my reasoning is that if they'd released these pokemon initially and then maybe the 4th generation pokemon after that, I'd be pretty pissed off when the 1 generation came after that.

Either way, this thread allows you to explain why you think the Pokemon were stupid and how you'd improve upon them (since I kind of got sick of commenting on them) so share your thoughts on the changes you'd make :) Maybe even draw/sprite some, if you can and then maybe we'll agree with your comments, otherwise without anything further I'm afraid that we can't properly see your point of view.

Most of them just looked a little stupid to me, I hate the new style that the new pokemon are being done in. Most of the pokemon look cartoony which the older pokemon kind of were, but not to this extent. The others were mostly okay looking, although some of them seemed a little too detailed.

Oh and the Pokemon from Black and White won't be forgotten by R/S remakes, they are there to stay.

Yeah, but at least I'll get to enjoy the first part of the game without annoying looking weird things.

Most of my complaints were that the new pokemon are either too cartoony or too realistic, there were a couple of these that irked me in Generation 4, but no where near as many. Honestly, the only pokemon that bugs me so much that I can't stand to play the game is Musharna AKA the fetus.

I kind of got lazy after about 90 or so of the new pokemon, so I started grouping up the ones I thought were stupid.

I'm definitely a little bit biased, but I just don't think most of these newbies work.

Last edited:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Responses are bolded.

Most of my complaints were that the new pokemon are either too cartoony or too realistic, there were a couple of these that irked me in Generation 4, but no where near as many. Honestly, the only pokemon that bugs me so much that I can't stand to play the game is Musharna AKA the fetus.

I kind of got lazy after about 90 or so of the new pokemon, so I started grouping up the ones I thought were stupid.

I'm definitely a little bit biased, but I just don't think most of these newbies work.

Such a professional review, huh?

Honestly, nobody wants to hear you rant when you don´t even elaborate. Like that other person said, be specific or use examples to help us understand you.

Also, "I´m definitely a little bit biased" is...definitely an understatement.
    How dare you call Musharna a fetus

Anyway, "cartoony" isn´t the word I would use, but these pokemon DO look different--it´s because they´re creative (by the way at this point it´s more of a general statement so it´s not directed solely at you).

YES, they do look different, but if Gamefreak were to keep making pokemon like they used to, all the pokemon would look like this:
    Spoiler:

And then everybody would complain because Gamefreak is running out of ideas. If you noticed, a good amount of Gen 1 and 2 pokemon are extremely uncreative. I have to say, Charizard is nothing but a child´s drawing in comparison to Musharna, which is based on both ancient japanese mythology and incense burners. And there are more pitiful examples. Like Caterpie, Spearow, Pidgey...I even have a picture for comparison.

Spoiler:

So, what I´m trying to say is that this is good change.

Of course, all my argument can change depending on the viewer´s preferences: to play a game with creativity or to play a game with animals you can see in real life, recolored.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2013
    I love some of them, like Excadrill and Serperior, and others I am quite fond of like Carracosta, Galvantula and Chandelure. Most of the rest I am indifferent to, but some, I cannot stand, like Klink (I don't like how little change there is between evolutions, and before someone accuses me of being biast I dislike magneton and dugtrio for the same reason) Vannilish (I just don't think an ice cream pokemon is a good idea) and the Tornados, Thunderus, Landorus trio just because their designs seem very lazy because of the similarities.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • I dislike most of the gen V pokes, and its mainly because for some you can see how the gen V pokes are taken from pokes of previous gens.

For example,
    Stunfisk-Dunsparce
    Woobat-Zubat
    Boufallant-Tauros
    Gothitelle-Gardevoir
    Emolga-Pachirisu
    It's like GF tried to make the unpopular or forgettable pokes into new pokes.

All the others are just childish and lazy imo, except the Chandelure line, the Samurott line, and Timburr (not Gurdurr and Conkledurr)

JFire

Quilava Lover
    Years
  • Such a professional review, huh?

Honestly, nobody wants to hear you rant when you don´t even elaborate. Like that other person said, be specific or use examples to help us understand you.

Also, "I´m definitely a little bit biased" is...definitely an understatement.
    How dare you call Musharna a fetus

Anyway, "cartoony" isn´t the word I would use, but these pokemon DO look different--it´s because they´re creative (by the way at this point it´s more of a general statement so it´s not directed solely at you).

YES, they do look different, but if Gamefreak were to keep making pokemon like they used to, all the pokemon would look like this:
    Spoiler:

And then everybody would complain because Gamefreak is running out of ideas. If you noticed, a good amount of Gen 1 and 2 pokemon are extremely uncreative. I have to say, Charizard is nothing but a child´s drawing in comparison to Musharna, which is based on both ancient japanese mythology and incense burners. And there are more pitiful examples. Like Caterpie, Spearow, Pidgey...I even have a picture for comparison.

Spoiler:

So, what I´m trying to say is that this is good change.

Of course, all my argument can change depending on the viewer´s preferences: to play a game with creativity or to play a game with animals you can see in real life, recolored.

Cartoon looking faces =/= creativity. The fact that they took an animal like a rat or a crab and changed them just enough to make them huge icons is amazing. Now I look at these new pokemon and see how complex they are and it makes me die a little inside.

The awesomeness of the original pokemon was that simplicity. When you look at all of the pokemon up to the third gen, they all have this style that made them look like they could be real things and you felt you were living in the world. These pokemon look ridiculous with their stupid cartoony eyes, and the ones that they tried to be serious with, mostly fell flat.

It's my opinion, there's no need to flame me. I'm ranting, but there is a reason behind it. GF might have been a little more "creative" this time, but they forgot the appeal of the original pokemon.

By the way, the early game rodents and birds really don't count, they've always been simple and they have kept up with that trend.

Summersaurus

Rawrr ❤
    Years
  • I like the designs of Snivy, Oshawott, Minccino, Emolga, Alomomola and Solosis because I love how cute they look, I always have ❤
    I don't like the designs for both Mandibuzz and Gigalith >.<

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
    Years
  • User says it all, for me the best designs of generation five is the Scraggy > Scrafty evolution, Scraggy being awesome and Scrafty coming in close second. I also like the design of Snivy with it's smug-like look, and Conkeldurr, the moment I saw it I thought 'epic' with its two slabs of concrete in each hand however the designs for Simisear and Simipour do not appeal to me at all.. I think it's their arms and head respectively and Cryogonal! I don't even want to know what was going through their mind whilst designing that.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Favourites (i.e. ones I love the design of):
    • Dewott & Samurott
    • Lillipup & Herdier
    • Liepard
    • Pansear
    • Blitzle & Zebstrika
    • Excadrill
    • Whirlipede (I have no idea why)
    • Sandile & Krokorok & Krookodile
    • Scrafty
    • Sigilyph
    • Axew & Fraxure
    • Deino & Zweilous
    • Cobalion
    • Virizion
    • Keldeo

Least favourites:
    • Pignite & Emboar
    • Stoutland
    • Swoobat
    • Garbodor
    • Vanillite & Vanillish & Vanilluxe
    • Emolga
    • Ferrothorn
    • Klink & Klang & Klinklang
    • Elgyem & Beheeyem
    • Haxorus
    • Stunfisk
    • Golett & Golurk
    • Durant
    • Hydreigon
    • Tornadus
    • Thundurus
    • Landorus
    • Kyurem
    • Genesect

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    The new Pokemon are so badly designed and usually based on absolute rubbish... Literally in Trubbish's case!

Years
  • My favorites are
    Frillish, Jellicent
    Oshawott - Samurott
    Purrloin
    Cottonee - Whimsicott
    and many others, but the Pokemons I hate are:
    Trubbish, Emboar, Scraggy and Stunfisk :)

Last edited:

blakfyr999

PWNGE Trainer
    Years
  • ....the pokemon are crap. now ill admit...im playing it this very second and gaining what's known as a "Nostalgia Boner" from it lol. It's a darn solid game, with GREAT new ideas and content. The pokemon though? HAVE BUTCHERED the name of pokemon. (i loved Gen III though ^_^)

Back