• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
i think that some of the pokemon made are plan pointless

Years
i think that some of the pokemon made are plan pointless

Y'know something like this comes up every time a new Gen is introduced. Not saying you're wrong, mind you, I respect your opinion but some Pokemon are made just to be there, you know? Imagine being the designer, or even worse the person who has to decide the stats and the location. Plus, they don't have a lot of time, believe me I think they wish they could improve some designs or movesets but what's done is done.

To be honest, if I was a Gamefreak employee I'd feel like there's always something missing to Pokemon, like every Gen starting from 1 was..rushed.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
Years

Y'know something like this comes up every time a new Gen is introduced. Not saying you're wrong, mind you, I respect your opinion but some Pokemon are made just to be there, you know? Imagine being the designer, or even worse the person who has to decide the stats and the location. Plus, they don't have a lot of time, believe me I think they wish they could improve some designs or movesets but what's done is done.

To be honest, if I was a Gamefreak employee I'd feel like there's always something missing to Pokemon, like every Gen starting from 1 was..rushed.

I agree completely.

And on top of that, they want Pokemon to appeal to everyone, not just some people so there is just a lot of different types, animals and colors!

Everyone single Pokemon is liked by at least some people out there.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
i agree with yall but you know i think i more of and old school person i dont have gen 5 games yet so i guess ill have to grow to like them but you know its just me being picky ive been a pokemon fan starting with red and blue i just think they verd away from the aspect of pokemon being animals in someways

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
i agree with yall but you know i think i more of and old school person i dont have gen 5 games yet so i guess ill have to grow to like them but you know its just me being picky ive been a pokemon fan starting with red and blue i just think they verd away from the aspect of pokemon being animals in someways
Well, I wouldn't exactly call Magnemite and Voltorb animals. There have always been Pokemon based off of inanimate objects.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The ice cream pokemon still gets me, and so does Klink. It kind of proves that Game Freak was really searching the bottom of the barrel for ideas on new pokemon, even their evolution patterns stink. It basically stole the trend of Diglett and Magnemite:

Gears > More Gears > Gears with Spikes

Ice Cream > Bigger Ice Cream > Two Ice Creams

It kind of makes me wonder whether their sole existence is to be a joke or not.

Adam.

Knowledge isn't everything.
Years
It basically stole the trend of Diglett and Magnemite.

I actually think this was the intention; having Pokemon that have some similarity between past ones would happen in this reigon.
But, I was also apprehensive over the Klink-line at first but, I'm come to grow to it as it just seems like a good set of Pokemon, the same with the Vanilite-line.

(Oh and both first-evolutions in these lines are adorable!)

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I personally don't like kyurem's design. It looks so small and weak compared to Reshiram and Zekrom. I personally think they shouldn't have put Kyurem into the energy trio. In fact, the other two trios should have been discarded and a trio of pokemon similar to kyurem should have been made instead in place of them..

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
I personally don't like kyurem's design. It looks so small and weak compared to Reshiram and Zekrom. I personally think they shouldn't have put Kyurem into the energy trio. In fact, the other two trios should have been discarded and a trio of pokemon similar to kyurem should have been made instead in place of them..

Yeah but apparently Kyuremu is all damaged and beaten up, with broken wings. That is why it is predicted it will have a bigger and better form in the Third Game. So maybe it was made a little smaller for that reason? I personally don't mind the size of him.

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
Years
Among my favortes are Serperior, Oshawott (and evos), Roggenrolla, Scolipede, Sandile (and evos), Darmanitan, Scraggy, Zorua, Zoroark, Reuniclus, Joltik (so cute), Eeelektross, the Musketeer Trio, Litwick, Accelcord, Fraxure, Pawniard, Rufflet, Braviary , Sazandora, Volcarona, and the mascots (much better than Dialga and Palkia's designs , in my opinion).

Im not really a huge fan of the genie trio, and there are quite a few designs that are just plain unoriginal, such as Emboar (looks like Magmortar a bit) Pidove, Carragosta, Vanilluxe, Sawsbuck, Buffalon, Kling and evos.

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
Im really impressed i pretty much liked all of them once i saw the artwork for them

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
The ice cream pokemon still gets me, and so does Klink. It kind of proves that Game Freak was really searching the bottom of the barrel for ideas on new pokemon, even their evolution patterns stink. It basically stole the trend of Diglett and Magnemite:

ya, it's like, with ice cream Pokemon, what can't be turned into a Pokemon now?
I hope they aren't adding 2 eyes to a house and call that a Pokemon in Gen 6.

Those elemental monkeys drive me mad too, basically those 6 Pokemon are more or less the same thing, and they call it 6 pokemon
They should be FORMES instead of SPEICES.

Oh, also Nageki and Dageki, aren't they more or less the same too?

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
Years
the pokemon seemed way to forced, i just played through leafgreen again looking back at the original 151 they were mostly natural. almost all of them were designed on animals with slight variations. Now we are at the point of pokemon that look like trash bags and ice cream? ok then

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
I like SWOOBAT!!!!!!!!! :D and galvuntula, LIEPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(suprised not very many people like it), LEAVANYY!!!!!!!!, Emolga, and ZORUA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
the pokemon seemed way to forced, i just played through leafgreen again looking back at the original 151 they were mostly natural. almost all of them were designed on animals with slight variations. Now we are at the point of pokemon that look like trash bags and ice cream? ok then

I agree with you completely on this. Even compared to Sinnoh the pokemon seem forced to me.

We've had a ball with eyes before, I wouldn't expect them not to...

LOL. This made my laugh. Which reminds me, I absolutely hate Amoonguss. It's an ugly ripoff of Voltorb/Electorde :x Combining a pokeball and mushroom? Wtf?

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years

LOL. This made my laugh. Which reminds me, I absolutely hate Amoonguss. It's an ugly ripoff of Voltorb/Electorde :x Combining a pokeball and mushroom? Wtf?

I originally hated Foongus and Amoonguss too when I first saw them for ripping off Voltorb and electrode too. But now I grew on them and I like them both :) idk I guess I was in denial or something when they were first revealed.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Well we have a fire ant eater so it would make sense for the Ant to have been something weak to fire like Steel/Bug...though they could have made the Ant eater (forget it's name) Water and the ant Fire...

That would've been cool... I wish Durant could at least learn some fire moves...

Personally, I feel that Generation V's introduction was rushed, and Generation IV's conclusion was rushed. There would've been no problem in delaying BW for a year. The anime could have had one more season involving the other Sinnoh Frontier Brains and more aimless adventures with Characters of the Day. Nintendo could have released that darn Azure Flute that apparently no one got. The anime could have also eased in a few Unova Pokemon. Yeah, Unova Pokemon are rare in other regions, but you'd expect a few Trainers to have visited there, toured, and returned home before Ash's journey there. Zoroark and Zorua weren't really showcased properly because it's just about a month before the actual games are released. A whole year before Generation V's introduction would have been decent, with maybe one to three Unova Pokemon appeared in the Lily of the Valley tournament as opposed to Takuto spamming legendaries.

As for designs being rushed...can't do much about that now. However, the game developers don't really have an excuse for maintaining more movesets and locations, as those could easily be fixed for Pokemon Gray Version via relocation; level-up move adjustments, move tutors, egg moves, etc. Maybe if Nintendo catered to the patient fans who care about quality as opposed to the subset of fans who want everything yesterday, we wouldn't have had Generation 5 causing "RUINED FOREVER!!!" so much before the generation even begins...

Well, a lot of Pokemon have exhibit that feature...

Two-headed Bird > Three-headed Bird (Dodrio line)
Rock Nose > Bigger Rock Nose With Mini-Noses (Probopass line)
Eggs/Seeds > Eggs/Seeds on a Tree (Exeggcutor line)
One Poison Mine > Two Poison Mines (Weezing line)
One Iron Ball > Two "Iron Balls" > Four "Iron Balls" (Metagross line)

It's been done for quite a while, so the Ice Cream Pokemon only seem to be perpetuating it and emulating a part of Kanto's Pokemon evolutionary families...

ya, it's like, with ice cream Pokemon, what can't be turned into a Pokemon now?
I hope they aren't adding 2 eyes to a house and call that a Pokemon in Gen 6.

Those elemental monkeys drive me mad too, basically those 6 Pokemon are more or less the same thing, and they call it 6 pokemon
They should be FORMES instead of SPEICES.

Oh, also Nageki and Dageki, aren't they more or less the same too?

Uh...Spices? I thought they were Species... :cer_confused:

As for the elemental wise monkey Pokemon, I think the pre-evos were fine as standalone. The evos detract from them quite a bit.

We've had a ball with eyes before, I wouldn't expect them not to...

:cer_laugh: We've had sludge with eyes and a blob with eyes/smiley face; anything's possible for Pokemon at this rate.

I originally hated Foongus and Amoonguss too when I first saw them for ripping off Voltorb and electrode too. But now I grew on them and I like them both :) idk I guess I was in denial or something when they were first revealed.

I like Tamagetake's Unova take on being a Poke Ball dupe. In past games, Trainers and Voltorb/Electrode would probably get pissed off at each other during such an incident (fake Poke Ball encounter), while with Tamagetake, you just can't help but go D'AAAAAAAAWWWWW, pet it, and go on your merry way, feeling happy that you had the luck to encounter such a cute Pokemon! ^^

200px-590Tamagetake.png

With Morobareru...you'd either just walk away without taking action, or burst out laughing at the amusing design and then walk away.

OMG 888th counted post! That means loads of good luck or something, right?! 8D

Last edited:
Back