• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Look, a surfing Rhydon!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I have seen a lot of Pokemon fans, myself included, that use the term "Pokemon logic" to explain something in Pokemon that doesn't make sense at first glance. But what exactly do you think is "Pokemon logic?" Do you believe that all those nonsense Pokemon concepts could have a more concrete explanation than just two words?

EDIT: Do note that I'm not talking about the concept in the thread title in particular.

Last edited:

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
    Years
  • Well, I must say. I can't describe the logic behind everything that Pokemon does. However, I actually came up with a reason as to why Rhydon can learn Surf a while ago.

Rhydons horn is reportedly harder than diamond.(Stated in several poke dex entries) How is something that strong created (keep in mind, rhyhorns is not reported to be as strong)? Only immense heat, probably DEEP in the earths crust. Maybe rhyhorns that used to be in caves, or even land, had something environmentally drastic happen, such as an earthquake that made them fall into the earths crust. How did they deal with this drastic event? Evolve. They evolved, to something that now has, not a horn, but a drill. My guess is that the earthquake caused a tsunami(s), obviously flooding the lands, by evolving because of this event, rhydon can now learn surf, and has a drill. Rhydon is said to beable to withstand heats of up to 3,600 degrees. (Stated in several poke dex entries) Which is conveniently a sustainable temp to survive the heat needed to create a material harder than diamond.

May not be right, but better than Pokemon logic

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    For the most part, Pokemon makes a lot of sense. But Pokemon doesn't necessarily need to be logical, the term "Pokemon logic" is just something people use to explain what isn't logical in the real world. The creators have the power to do whatever they want, Pokemon is a magical place, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that something doesn't make sense. But it does come as a surprise, because Pokemon often is quite logical.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    For the most part, Pokemon makes a lot of sense. But Pokemon doesn't necessarily need to be logical, the term "Pokemon logic" is just something people use to explain what isn't logical in the real world. The creators have the power to do whatever they want, Pokemon is a magical place, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that something doesn't make sense. But it does come as a surprise, because Pokemon often is quite logical.

This. Separating logical and illogical in Pokémon is like trying to figure out why people say that swan is a duck. It's not something I could dabble on, but it is a magical world, so I think we should be surprised that so much is logical, in fact.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • "In the world of animals that have superpowers" is how I frequently explain logic in the pokemon universe. This is a fictional world with its own set of rules. I think there's more to it than just "pokemon logic", but we need to first detach ourselves from the rules of this world and have an open mind to the rules of theirs.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Boringly enough, I attribute "pokémon logic" to the limitations of the gaming system.

A world where villains flee if their pokémon are defeated by a kid, rather than pull up a gun or beat the kid down, it must work differently than ours. But we take it for granted as we play, watch the anime, write fanfics... poké-logic; that's just the way it is.

My particular example, I can explain in other ways though... In a fanfic I'm writing now, I'm having people in the pokémon world believe it's taboo to lay hand on a trainer if they have pokémon. It's like, unthinkable. Religion, if you so will, or just the way people live in that world.

Not all things are explainable though - like the surfing Rhydon. Game mechanics is what it comes down to :/

Years
  • Pokemon logic... just a lazy term for something that happens in Pokemon world that would be unthinkable and/or inexplicable in real life for various reasons, including what Red hawt chibi pellipers mentioned.

Back