• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Luck

Socratic

Howdy
Years
  • Pokemon may be a game of skill, or wits, or perseverance, or all three. However, there is one additional item of concern: Luck. From move accuracy, to breeding, to the chances of getting a Shiny Pokemon, many things have their basis laid in luck.

When have you been lucky in the Pokemon games? Alternatively, when has your luck failed you? How do you feel your overall luck is in the games?

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    My luck is average i guess. Every game i play i run into at least one shiny. I've heard people who played all the games and never run into a shiny except the red gyrados. My luck fails me in competitive battle sometimes, but sometimes I get lucky too. So, yeah, my luck is average.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    I guess my best luck has been with shiny hunting, I don't have the shiny charm but have found about 74 shinies. Mostly Friend Safari and Fish Chaining, but I have had 2 Masuda Method shinies and 4 full odds random encounter shinies including my first shiny since Red Gyarados. First ever random wild encounter shiny.

Probably my best luck in Friend Safari happened on Aug 7th of this year, I found 3 shinies in 33 encounters total, 18 for Kirlia, 4 for Magmar and 11 for Spiritomb.

I've also found an Espurr at 7, then followed with a 1st encounter Drowzee.

Both of my successful Masuda Method shines appeared super quick as well, 53 and 71 eggs.

Of course my next FS shiny took 956 encounters, but I look at it this way, I got the shiny I wanted so it was lucky. It was worth it. But most of my Friend Safari shinies appear in under 100 encounters, I've only gone past 600 twice, Chansey at 777 and Lapras at 956.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • The biggest luck I probably had is with shinies, but it's barely just a handful. I don't find them very often, haha. And they only came as accidental wild encounters; I think I only have a shiny or two that I found with chaining.

Then, I guess you can also count those times during battles where opponents would miss the moves that would finish off my Pokemon, and instead I get to win the battle. Love those.

Years
  • My luck used to be pretty bad in Pokemon, moves like Thunder, Blizzard etc would never hit when I needed them too, but recently that seems to have changed, I think I hit three Blizzards in a row against Cynthia in my most recent Platinum playthrough and things in general seem to go my way now. Also my shiny luck has increased, I found a shiny Manectric during my adventure in Omega Ruby when I wasn't even looking for one and when I did shiny hunt in X, I got a shiny Magcargo within 15 minutes in the friend safari.

So yeah, my luck is definitely getting better and I hope it continues.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Shiny wise...I get traded more shinies than I find them in the wild. That alone is enough to tell you how lucky I am when it comes to finding shiny Pokemon.

Battle wise, I've basically become able to predict when a status ailment will hinder my opponent. I just snap my fingers and quietly say "paralysis" to myself. It usually happens. Maybe my shrine to RNGesus has brought me closer to Him, gifting me his otherworldly hax powers.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Not a lot of luck I'm afraid. I get pretty decent Pokémon off WT but looking for shinies on my own I'm terrible. Even in battles I'm pretty bad, but I guess that's probably because the opponent has a competitive team and mine is just my favourites.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • Myself, I consider myself a little bit lucky. I've found a handful of Shinys, but not altogether too many. One thing I was very lucky with was in Emerald. I found a Feebas spot on the fifth tile I tried. In battles, I have so so luck; I don't tempt fate or anything, though, so it's a little hard to say.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Lady Luck has not been on my side as of late; I've yet to encounter a shiny in ORAS. Don't breed nor chain for shiny pokemon, so mine only come way of getting extremely lucky, and it's been pretty decent in that regard up until now.

Back