• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

lukomon Pokédex released for iPhone/iPod Touch! Android coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks!

Tomorrow we will make a final sprint to complete our database! Also we will implement two very cool features which I'm sure you're going to like!!
    We will announce them as soon as we're going to submit the app. Stay tuned ;-)

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks guys :)

Sorry we've been away for a while. Some things happened and I'm going to be honest with you. There's a competitor app in the iPhone App Store which seems to contain a similiar feature set as lukomon Pokédex. This had great impact on us. We've been working for months on lukomon and now, just a week before our release this app enters the App Store. Seriously, we didn't like that! We managed to convert this.. frustration into motivation and we've added some very cool features (which we will announce with the actual release) with which we hope to attract some people.

lukomon has been on our minds for so long and is really close to our hearts. Concepting, designing, coding, database work; hundreds of hours of work and love to offer a complete app for Pokémon players that is easy and fun to use and nice to look at. Now I cannot judge the other developer but he copy-pasted the open-source veekun database, wrapped it into a UI and sells it in the App Store for 2 bucks.

Things like these happen! We can't do much about it and we still believe in lukomon. At the moment we're working on those cool features and we plan to submit it this week. We have lot's of cool features on our roadmap which will make it into the app soon.
    Apologies for the delay, I hope we can get your understanding.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    Well if you can't really do anything if you released the source code :\, that really sucks though, whoever did that is a total douche.

EDIT: I found the app, and of course I am not buying it, and I am waiting for lukomon.. They totally copied you. I remember finding this app BEFORE "version 2" and it was a ****** pokedex that just showed pokemon's stats. Now they have everything you've worked hard on, because they know how to copy-pasta.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that, Kombo. I'm also going to be honest with you: that Pokédex app sure looks great. Maybe not as great as lukomon, but it does have a lot of info (more than you have?) So my question is, can't you 'just' copy/paste it too, like those guys did? Or will you then be breaking copyrights from veekun or something?

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I just found this; it definitely looks great so far.

Sorry to hear about the other Pokédex app; that must be a pain to live with. But technically, that should be illegal, since I don't believe you can sell something that's open-source and make a profit off of it. That's why all of those developers who work on open-source software/music (but that's more Creative Commons)/etc. say if you purchased it, you're being ripped off.

I will download lukomon just to spite the other "developer." Copy-pastaing is not true developing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Wow that's a good one TheAppleFreak. Isn't this guy just breaking copyrights? You can tell veekun right, or Apple at the least? I guess that would mean the app will be banned from the store, unless he makes it free or something (or he can make an agreement with veekun). So my advice is trying to contact veekun or Apple. Or have you already done that?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Well this is definitely an app I'll pay for. I don't have an iPhone or anything, so I can't express my dislike for the other app :P But when it comes to Android, I will definitely purchase it.

Still waiting patiently for it. =)

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Haha, I have a friend who also has an Android, so I guess he'll be very happy with the app too! Is the Android version coming along nicely, Kombo?

Also, I thinked a bit more about this guy with his app, and I looked at the screenshots. The more I look at his reviews and screenshots/description, the more I start to hate him. All those people don't know how lazy this guy really is (according to Kombo's explanation) and he just copied all those hard work from people at veekun... I'm really glad you're so close with the community Kombo, something the guy from that app isn't (at least, Google delivers nothing when searched). I'll definitely tell all my friend about this app! I really hope your app will be a succes, because I think you deserve it... :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Thanks for the kind words!

veekun's license allows user's to grab the data and do whatever they want with it, including selling it. I always thought it was licensed under Creative Commons like Bulbapedia. So there's nothing we can do against the other app except for creating a better app. I guarantee we will.
    We have to make some tough decisions. We could also use veekun's database but that would mean we'd throw away hundreds of hours of work on our own database. Plus we know our database model and it is more efficient. Another possibility is migrating some of the missing data from veekun to our own database. This means we can also easily include swarm and radio locations. We will decide today.

Meanwhile we implemented three cool features which I unfortunately cannot announce at this point. We will be more open again once we've entered the App Store/Market and that should be soon ;-)

The Android version is coming along nicely as well. We implemented some Android specific features like the menu and only have to recreate our graphics at different sizes since there are like 3 different Android resolutions!

I thank you all for your support and trust in lukomon!
    lukomon Pokédex released for iPhone/iPod Touch! Android coming soon!

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • No problem! This app is great and I'm going to support you guys thoroughly. In fact, I think I'm going to advertise this in my signature later today. :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Hah that's a nice one Serene Grace! I'll do that on other forums too (i'm not that active on this forum :P).

And @Kombo, no problem man, I really trust in this app. Also, what is that screen about? It looks like the iPhone resolution, or is this just a teaser? ;) Anyway, looks cool, especially that character!

sonlen

Hacking Noob
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2011
    Good work, I love the look of the app, and it really is all anyone will need, I will get this for sure, except for the fact I have $0.66 on my iTunes account, and no way to get more at the moment. :( I will look for the promo codes wherever they may be. Keep up the work and I am sure you will be more then appreciated.
    If you decide to give out promo codes, I would love to reserve one if it is even possible.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wow, this looks really good. It's definitely gonna be the best Pokedex app, as most of them are quite expensive, plus they only include one thing like moves, or locations, while this includes everything. I would definitely get this, except that I don't have and iPod or anything like that. Even though I can't get it, I can't wait for it to come out.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Wow, i will most deff get this :)
    This looks amazing. I might acc want to spend some of my 15$.

Also a useless suggestion:
    Music: Like add routes and city's music, or something? i dont know.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2012
    Serene Grace, Pokafreak: We'd love you for helping us out promoting when we're going to release! Thanks!
    The image is actually our splash screen with our lovely mascotte :-)

countryemo: we've actually looked at music but that would make the app to big in filesize.

Bluerang1: I don't really know the Symbiam or Maemo OS but we might port in the future :) That kind of depends on te success of lukomon on other platforms.

The extra features that caused the delay are implemented now and I can't wait to show them to you! Now we're just have to do some last testing!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back