• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magic: Individual Card Discussion

KLS

PC's Eternal Witness
Years
  • KLS is back..
    and since Kenny didn't post this week's COTW, I guess I'll be your host.
    ^^.
    I'm going to review a card from the recently released "Saviors Of Kamigawa".

Blood Clock
    (4)
    Artifact
    At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player returns a permanent he or she controls to its owner's hand unless he or she pays 2 life.

History:
    This card was released back in the old days with a different name (that which I can't seem to remember).

Potential:
    9/10, hands down.
    Can anybody say combo-bait?
    If you made a deck with this and Chittering Rats, then your opponent practically can never draw, AND they take 2 or bounce one of their permanents.

Let's abuse him as much as possible.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • It's all combo, no mambo/bombo. It runs the same idea as the skull collector of bouncing chittering or ravenous rats over and over again to slap your opponent. Generally a combo deck would run both to maximize the chances of the bouncing fun. ;)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Ok then so since just about most of them are gone anyways, i may as well revive this a bit...

this'll be in the same format as Y(GO)-COTW

Magic: Individual Card Discussion

Mistform Ultimus 3U
    Legendary Creature - Illusion (New Legend Rule Taking Effect)
    Mistform Ultimus is every creature type. (Even if this card isn't in play)
    (Can Attack[Only wall with no Defender ability])
    3/3

Rulings:
    Oct 4, 2004 - The "this is every creature type" text is a type-changing ability, so it is not turned off by effects that remove abilities.
    Oct 4, 2004 - If this card is changed to a specific creature type by a spell or ability, then that effect replaces all the creature types with the one determined by the spell or ability.

Thoughts:
    Definitely one of the crazier cards in magic history. This thing can combo with all of the creature type targeting spells too. quite amusing actually.

Rayquaaza

The trainer of Dark Pokemon
    Years
  • Have not understood about what one talks here, but also I play with the Magic cards. I have an unbelievable deck, my deck Goblin. Whether you know the Goblin and their lowest strategies know that a deck Goblin can be lethal if built well.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Before that, Trige, it is important to note that there is a more important card to be reviewed (and by reviewed I mean show you, since it's good anyway):

Damnation 2BB
    Sorcery
    Destroy all creatures. They cant be regnerated.
    Planar Chaos Timeshifted Rare

gg boys. Black just got even. 10/10

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Green Ball Lightning

Nuff said. I always thought ball lightning was a very RED ability, but now it's green for some reason. I don't think any amount of BSing in MaRo's part will EVER justify this puppy, IMO, flavour-wise.

Mechanistically, it's awesome, since it's 6 to the head. lol

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Shivan Meteor
    {3}{R}{R}
    Sorcery
    Shivan Meteor deals 13 damage to target creature.
    Suspend 2--{1}{R}{R} (Rather than play this card from your hand, you may pay {1}{R}{R} and remove it from the game with two time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, play it without paying its mana cost.)

...well, this was taken from the Planar Chaos primer, so i have no idea whether it's real or not cuz it seems so rediculous

(For those too lazy to listen to the Podcast, the Podcast Preview)
    Serra Sphinx
    3UU
    Flying, Vigilance
    4/4

(There was also a bunch of teasers about about the remake-color change cards there, so the older players may want to take a listen)
    (actually most of those interested in Planar Chaos should take a listen XD)

One more thing: (Also taken from the primer)
    Keldon Marauders
    {1}{R}
    Creature -- Human Warrior
    3/3
    Vanishing 2 (This permanent comes into play with two time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
    When Keldon Marauders comes into play or leaves play, it deals 1 damage to target player.

502.60. Vanishing

502.60a Vanishing is a keyword that represents three abilities. "Vanishing N" means "This permanent comes into play with N time counters on it," "At the beginning of your upkeep, if this permanent has a time counter on it, remove a time counter from it," and "When the last time counter is removed from this permanent, sacrifice it."

502.60b Vanishing without a number means "At the beginning of your upkeep, if this permanent has a time counter on it, remove a time counter from it" and "When the last time counter is removed from this permanent, sacrifice it."

502.60c If a permanent has multiple instances of vanishing, each works separately.

* Both vanishing and the suspend mechanic introduced in the _Time Spiral_ set use time counters. Most effects in the _Time Spiral_ block that deal with time counters, such as the ability of Jhoria's Timebug, can also affect permanents with vanishing that have time counters on them.

* Vanishing is similar to the fading ability from the _Nemesis_(R) set. However, it plays much more like suspend does. The card starts out with a number of time counters on it, an ability triggers at the beginning of your upkeep that has you remove a time counter, and an ability triggers when you remove the last time counter that has you do something with that card.

* Note that the vanishing rules include an "intervening 'if' clause" that stops the counter-removing ability from triggering if there are no time counters on the permanent. This extra clause has minimal impact outside the _Magic Online_(TM) interface, so it doesn't appear in the vanishing reminder text.

* If the last time counter is removed from a permanent with vanishing and the sacrifice ability is countered, that permanent will remain in play indefinitely with no time counters on it. Neither of vanishing's two triggered abilities can possibly trigger again. Similarly, if a permanent without time counters on it that's already in play becomes a copy of a permanent with vanishing, it will stay in play indefinitely. If a permanent with one or more time counters on it that's already in play becomes a copy of a permanent with vanishing, it will vanish as normal.

Last edited:

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Calciderm 2WW
    Creature - Beast
    Vanishing 4
    Can't be target
    5/5 (TS uncommon)

Welcome back, blastoderm. :3 8/10

Sinew Sliver 1W
    Creature - sliver
    Slivers get +1/+1
    1/1 (TS common)

A much more awesome welcome back, Muscle sliver. :3

Anyway. Basically this set is relatively overpowered, since they brought back so many "goodies" one more time. Fun times, fun times. :D

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Been playing around off the reckless wurm (arrogant wurm). Looks to be decent. Too bad red doesn't have a mongrel equivalent, else RG madness can probably outspeed UG madness.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • Sinew Sliver 1W
    Creature - sliver
    Slivers get +1/+1
    1/1 (TS common)

One of the most abusive cards ever. It's a 2/2 (except under specific circumstances) that costs as a 2/2, but that also gives +1/+1 to other creatures, and only Slivers, which mean your creatures, and worst enough, to SLIVERS!!!!

All Slivers should be killed. >:)

That's a 20/10 or so.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Sinew Sliver brought back the old muscle sliver and placed it into the more weenie colour (white). Funny thing was that muscle sliver and glorious anthem actually traded places in Planar Chaos. The abusability of this sinew sliver is slightly higher than that of muscle sliver, being in the aggro-control colour as opposed to a strict aggro colour. In older formats, this translates to a UW aggro-control deck as opposed to the UGW versions that saw play many years ago. Is Sinew Sliver "that darn good"? Not really. Taken into the context of strictly this generation of slivers, nothing really goes on, and with the sliver counter being a sliver that is just better than all the other slivers, how good the slivers are has dropped significantly.

Verdict? Sinew's good, but not brokenly good. It does bring back the memories of good ol' muscle sliver and its reigns of terror back in their days, though.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • Verdict? Sinew's good, but not brokenly good. It does bring back the memories of good ol' muscle sliver and its reigns of terror back in their days, though.

OK. This time is +1/+1, but Slivers in general grant incredible abilities and are incredibly undercosted.

Gemhide Sliver (1/1) 1G - T:Add 1 mana of any color
    Spinneret Sliver (2/2) 1G - Can block fliers
    Quilled Sliver (1/1) 1W - T: Deals 1 damage to target attacker or blocker
    Vampiric Sliver (3/3) 3B - Whenever a creature dealt damage by this goes to a graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on this

Not all of them used to be like that. Some of them were, you know, 'fair'. (Talon Sliver, Barbed Sliver)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    ya, i remember someone pulled out 4th turn sliver legion during a "future-sight only" test-decks with poison slivers right around it XD quick win that was XD

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • OK. This time is +1/+1, but Slivers in general grant incredible abilities and are incredibly undercosted.

Gemhide Sliver (1/1) 1G - T:Add 1 mana of any color
    Spinneret Sliver (2/2) 1G - Can block fliers
    Quilled Sliver (1/1) 1W - T: Deals 1 damage to target attacker or blocker
    Vampiric Sliver (3/3) 3B - Whenever a creature dealt damage by this goes to a graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on this

Not all of them used to be like that. Some of them were, you know, 'fair'. (Talon Sliver, Barbed Sliver)

With the exception of gemhide sliver, none of the slivers you've provided were any good in competition with the tempest guys. Seriously, the common cycle in tempest were at the bare minimum good (talon sliver, clot sliver), and the rest were too good (muscle, winged, heart). Nothing in the current mixture of slivers could match these guys, except gemhide and sinew, and maybe sidewinder.

Spinneret's nowhere near as good as winged. Quilled sliver has a terrible ability that contradicted with how slivers worked, unless you're playing a dormant sliver build. Vampiric sliver doesn't even have an ability that works (it's fair, since the ability would unlikely trigger anyway, unless it's coupled with quilled and dormant). Winged sliver alone outshined all three. When I was trying to come up with a T2 counter sliver deck, none of these guys made it in, with the exception of spinneret being a filler. This is why slivers are only in block tourneys, and not T2. They're just not good enough, unlike back then with the muscle, winged, crystalline, and hybernation combo. These guys were undercosted.

What wizards brought to the table that were good, were the multicoloured guys, and the opposition sliver. Legionnaire is hot, nectrotic was ridiculous, dormant created a completely different type of sliver deck, firewake was a fix on heart (heart was too good), Opaline was a fix on crystalline (weaker ability, but higher cost), etc. And might brought "big mana slivers" back on the table.

Plague Sliver killed it all this generation, though.

While we're at it, hybernation and crystalline slivers were the MVP slivers. Really the ridiculous power level of these guys I personally don't think will ever be matched. WotC is good at spotting the brokenness for the most part...

Well that was my rant. XD

ya, i remember someone pulled out 4th turn sliver legion during a "future-sight only" test-decks with poison slivers right around it XD quick win that was XD

Must be fun. :3

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • From Tempest, all uncommon:

Mindwhip Sliver 2B (2/2) - 2, Sacrifice: Target player discards a card at random. Play only as a sorcery.
    Armor Sliver 2W (2/2) - 2: This gets +0/+1 until EOT.
    Barbed Sliver 2R (2/2) - 2: This gets +1/+0 until EOT.

Are these the Tempest Slivers you are talking about? They seem pretty useless to me. I must admit there were some too good, but they were a reduced amount, and they were nothing compared to:

Fungus Sliver 3G (2/2) - Whenever a Sliver is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter.
    Fury Sliver 5R (3/3) - Double strike
    Pulmonic Sliver 3WW (3/3) - Flying and "If this would be put in to a graveyard [from play], you may put on top of its owner's library."
    Psionic Sliver 4U (2/2) - T: This deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 3 damage to itself.

You can't deny there's much difference between a good Tempest sliver and a GOOD time spiral sliver. Pulmonic Sliver is 10 times Winged Sliver even if it costs 3 more.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    No, what kenny refers to is the Tempest block, not just tempest.

In addition, take a comparison between Time Spiral slivers and the Tempest slivers
    The mana cost of the tempests are never more than three. You probably know this already, but the point of slivers is to swarm and gain a large control of the field. This is harder to do with the large mana costing slivers.
    Also, a note against Pulmonic sliver: not only is it three mana more, but its also dual white, which reduces the chances of you getting it by quite a bit, especially since its slivers we're talking about. Compared to Winged Sliver which, in a pure sliver deck, is an "all creatures gain flying", turn 2 is godly. For Pulmonic, turn 5 they probably already have at least one flyer, and even then, you're probably not gonna get it out turn 5.
    Most of the time, Psionic sliver translates to "T: Sac: Deal 2 damage to a creature/player." First, Slivers are meant to attack. If you had those 4 slivers out on field, i'm willing to bet that you'd be attacking rather than staying put waiting to kill off creatures. You can't use that sliver unless you have Synchronous, which, again, costs a lot. Acidic lets the player sacrifice a creature, rather than tapping, to deal damage. This means that you could deal damage as a reaction to damage rather than not deal damage at all because the sliver is tapped.
    Fury, well obviously double strike wasn't introduced til onslaught, so there aren't exactly any double-strikers, but for the same price, one could get 3 slivers with Flying, First Strike, and Shroud(Untargetable)<Honestly, are you really gonna be targeting your own slivers with anything?>.
    Fungus: Okay, this one i can say is good in my mind, obviously the one drawback is that it has to be damaged.

Back