• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Map Connection Error

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    Okay... So I am unsure of how to address this problem that I currently am having. It's one that I don't understand and I am unsure of how to put into words... But I will try my best.
    (By the way, this game is a rom off from Emerald.)

So here is my process:
    I was working on a map called THE ABSOLUTE which is meant to connect south into CHROM VILLAGE... I built the map using water tiles and then began to build upon that. I went into the Block Editor and developed new tiles in tileset number 7 using the Battle Tent tiles that I did not need. I made some tiles using palette color 12 and saving that change to the rom I finished making some tiles that I could use for THE ABSOLUTE. Both CHROM VILLAGE and THE ABSOLUTE use tileset number 7, and some of the tiles use water tiles from palette 12 instead of just the original color for water (which I think was palette 4). But then when I connect the two maps together, I find that when I go into the game to go to THE ABSOLUTE, there is a big wall of rocky walls and an odd tile that isn't in the tileset. I am also unable to enter THE ABSOLUTE, even if I set all tiles to a value of C.
    I tried using the same set up on another map, but the same result.
    Then I tried connecting an existing route to go north of CHROM VILLAGE and it worked. But then when I changed that route's dimensions to 19x19, it did that same thing.
    It's really confusing, and I'm unsure what it is I did wrong. Is it due to using the water block through a different palette, or is there some sort of glitch with tileset 7?

It's frustrating me, and I'm not sure how else to explain it or handle it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    Going into this in detail, I found that I may have actually corrupted the game some how with the Block Editor. Not sure if I can fix it now, but either than that, even when doing a Map Connection with the north direction of CHROM VILLAGE, it only works properly if the map is a certain size or larger, which I guess makes sense if the Block Borders are different. But even when I tested the Block Borders, I still had the same error and still could not enter that other area unless if I enlarged the map.

I'll add some screenshots in the spoiler below.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Lol well you were very thorough with your screenshots which is good. Try changing the background byte from 30 to 10 or 00 for the tiles that are changing and see if that does anything. Also make sure no level scripts are active that you aren't using. Also, open your ROM in Amap 1.95 and try doing the connections in that and see what happens. You can SEE the connection between the two if you use 1.95. The offsets might be off. Also, your border tile is the mountains and that could somehow be related but I don't see that being the problem. Try 1.95 first

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    Lol well you were very thorough with your screenshots which is good. Try changing the background byte from 30 to 10 or 00 for the tiles that are changing and see if that does anything. Also make sure no level scripts are active that you aren't using. Also, open your ROM in Amap 1.95 and try doing the connections in that and see what happens. You can SEE the connection between the two if you use 1.95. The offsets might be off. Also, your border tile is the mountains and that could somehow be related but I don't see that being the problem. Try 1.95 first

Sure thing, I will try 1.95. ^^
    I never did download 1.95, that's why I've been using 1.92. Hehe. Thanks though.

As far as the borders, they aren't the problem as I did check those before doing the screenshots and I had the offset on 0 for both after testing the connections multiple times. And the level scripts were removed if that had anything to do with it. I deduced that it was mostly a problem with tileset 7.
    I will try out the background bytes though. Thank you.

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    For the broken connection, have you tested it with a clean save?

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    So now that I have updated my Advance Map to 1.95, I have found the root of my problems. Apparently, a lot of my map connections or rather the maps themselves have been 'corrupted?' and each time I open the map in AM, I get an error message:
    "The MapFooter is not saved at an offset dividable by 4, this can cause map is Black in ROM. Loading it anyway."

I've tried multiple solutions with no success and I'm not sure what the MapFooter is, since it really isn't indicated anywhere in the program. I would really like to salvage these broken maps and actually use them, but I am afraid that if I copy the map to another map, it will corrupt that map too. What do I do in this situation?

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    I assume that the MapFooter problem is unsolved then?

I'll just have to work around those maps then, and move my current maps to different map locations... Such a hassle. :/

Back