• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy San

The fire-breathing Dutch-Boy
    Years
    Hi guys.
    Due to computer problems I couldn't map for a looooooooooooooooooong time.
    So with my new one, i'm starting to brush up my skills. (not hard if you don't have any.)

Here is my map: (no new tiles...)
    Map Rating/Review Thread

BTW: I know the mountain is too square, I'm working hard to make good mountains but this just didn't turn out right. It's too unnatural.

BTW2: All my maps are from scratch :P

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Hi guys.
    Due to computer problems I couldn't map for a looooooooooooooooooong time.
    So with my new one, i'm starting to brush up my skills. (not hard if you don't have any.)

Here is my map: (no new tiles...)
    Map Rating/Review Thread

BTW: I know the mountain is too square, I'm working hard to make good mountains but this just didn't turn out right. It's too unnatural.

BTW2: All my maps are from scratch :P

In response to BTW 1: It requires practice, you won't always get it on a first try. Look at some of the other maps throughout the thread for examples.

In response to BTW 2: 95% of people here do ^^

Rating: 2/10 Bad
    Comments: I'm afraid there isn't an aspect of this map I am a fan of. I hope you understand what I am about to say will be directed only to improving your map, and I hope it won't be harsh -.-. The water is square=Bad, the rock has poor shape=poor, every aspect of this map is poor. The cave placement is unstrategic, and badly done. There is a load of empty space, and spots in this map that need block editting. The map is generally bad. I'm sorry, but EVERYTHING in this map can be improved over a hundred fold before perfection. There is a lot of potential in every new mapper, and I hope you use some of the things I said above to your advantage.

Jordy San

Years
    thank you for the comment, i need to do a lot of work to get a part of my skills back :(
    And you weren't harsh, but honest ;)
    (The sad part is, I know what is wrong or right about a map, i've rated many maps before. But I can't seem to do it right myself :\)

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
    map name: ??? island
    hack of: fire red
    comments: this is the start map in pokemon reign of fire and everyone on the team likes it. im going to change it in a bit so any comments are good!

Map Rating/Review Thread

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Map Name: Ommakuro Village

Map Game: Firered

Mapshot: Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: This is my first map, so criticize away! Oh, the caves are actually houses, and the one with the sliding door is supposed to be more technological.

Edit: Credits to Lucario 9 for the base.

Going to quote myself, because no one ever saw it (I think).

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
    Going to quote myself, because no one ever saw it (I think).

OWWW MY EYES MY EYS!!!! *sheilds eyes* the palletes are way to bright and the blue door tile dosent look good on a cave. other than that good job for ur first map

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    Well everyone, I'll start rating maps again. No long reviews though like I do in RHN -.-
    But the ratings will be just as strict ;D

Rating: 4/10 Poor
    Comments: There are numerous tile errors, like, completely noticable ones too. The grass scattering is very poor, and you used the grass as a filler for empty space, which in this case is a horrible feat. There is WAY too much empty space, block edits done poorly, and the palettes (excluding the rock palette) are just plain bad. Sorry for my harsh rating, but there is just so much you can improve on with this map, but a good start ^^.

Thank you for being honest and harsh. No one will get any better if everyone just stated that a map is great. I would rather get a honest, harsh rating than get a barely looked at 7+/10. I find that if someone points out the flaws, I can learn from them and not make that mistake again in the next map.

I changed some stuff, and I fixed all the tile errors I could find. I fixed some of the empty space, but I'm not sure how well I did that. The palettes look fine to me, but that might be because I'm colorblind (I did lighten the water palettes a bit though). And if anyone could point out the tile errors that I missed, that would be great because as mentioned above, my eyesight isn't very good.

(Attempted)Fixed Map
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

.Iramet

Banned
    Years
    Thank you for being honest and harsh. No one will get any better if everyone just stated that a map is great. I would rather get a honest, harsh rating than get a barely looked at 7+/10. I find that if someone points out the flaws, I can learn from them and not make that mistake again in the next map.

I changed some stuff, and I fixed all the tile errors I could find. I fixed some of the empty space, but I'm not sure how well I did that. The palettes look fine to me, but that might be because I'm colorblind (I did lighten the water palettes a bit though). And if anyone could point out the tile errors that I missed, that would be great because as mentioned above, my eyesight isn't very good.

(Attempted)Fixed Map
    Spoiler:
    Their are some errors in the mountains, the ledges, some of the have grass.
    But errors aside, I give it a 9/10.
    Great shape.

Jordy San

Years
    In response to BTW 1: It requires practice, you won't always get it on a first try. Look at some of the other maps throughout the thread for examples.

In response to BTW 2: 95% of people here do ^^

Rating: 2/10 Bad
    Comments: I'm afraid there isn't an aspect of this map I am a fan of. I hope you understand what I am about to say will be directed only to improving your map, and I hope it won't be harsh -.-. The water is square=Bad, the rock has poor shape=poor, every aspect of this map is poor. The cave placement is unstrategic, and badly done. There is a load of empty space, and spots in this map that need block editting. The map is generally bad. I'm sorry, but EVERYTHING in this map can be improved over a hundred fold before perfection. There is a lot of potential in every new mapper, and I hope you use some of the things I said above to your advantage.

Only 1 thing, thoe caves are houses. this hack plays in the ancient times.
    Still, i'm busy improving my skills.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2009
    Please critique my map.
    I need to make it good and professional.
    Thanks
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Im sure you won't find any tile errors (I Hope). I made sure of that XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    This map isn't very good...
    There are many empty spaces...
    You get 2/10.

And here, one more time a map:

img3.imagebanana.com/img/c1a9sntc/Map1.PNG

mfg,
    haefele

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'm back, and this is just a random map i made.

Map name:Oceanview city
    Hack of:firered
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    https://g.imageshack.us/img100/oceanviewcitynf6.png/1/
    Credits to: Alistair for the palm trees, and that should be it.

Oh, and i planned on putting flowers on the sand, but it wouldn't work on advancemap.

Edit: new one, just made an hour ago.
    Map name: N/A
    Hack of:Firered

Credits to: no one
    The guy in front of the waterfall is trying to crest it, and he gives you the HM waterfall, just if anyone is confused.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Please critique my map.
    I need to make it good and professional.
    Thanks
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Im sure you won't find any tile errors (I Hope). I made sure of that XD
    (Mapping)- It is a bit empty, especially up in the left hand corner you should fill it up. The flowers, they also seem randomly placed. Then, the tree placement looks erm. a bit awkward to me. Then, you have all those town signs for the houses, when it should be like the mailbox or something, the sign is weird.

(3/10)Tryplacing the flowers a bit more.. well strategically. Then, use the mailbox to identify houses. Lastly, put some stuff in the left hand corner.

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012

Map Rating/Review Thread
    https://g.imageshack.us/img100/oceanviewcitynf6.png/1/

Oh, and i planned on putting flowers on the sand, but it wouldn't work on advancemap.

The guy in front of the waterfall is trying to crest it, and he gives you the HM waterfall, just if anyone is confused.

Map 1 - It's a bit on the Empty side, especially one the mountain.. Paths are too symmetrical.. 6/10

Map 2 - Routes/Forest's/canyons/etc. Are your specialty's.. The mountains are formed Great, Everything Matches up, I don't see any clearly Visible Errors, and I like the overall shape 9/10!

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    This map isn't very good...
    There are many empty spaces...
    You get 2/10.

And here, one more time a map:

img3.imagebanana.com/img/c1a9sntc/Map1.PNG

mfg,
    haefele

Comments: This map is done really well. I love the placement of the trees and the placement of the paths are done quite well. I love the palettes too. No tile errors spotted.
    Suggestions: The fence behind the tree near the pond looks out of place and the fence near the tree line at the bottom looks odd. Those could be removed.
    Map Rating: 9.6/10

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 6.5/10 Okay
    Comments: There is really alot to look at in this map. But there are also alot of things to grill you on in this map. Slight tile error in the connecting beach thing in the south left isle. Another thing is there will be tons and tons of boarder errors, so I don't plan to see this map completely playable. The pathway does not really seem to fit the environment, and should be used for a bigger city area. The palm tree (the one not on the beach)'s shadow does not look properly done, and doesn't seem to fit like that. The cliffs seem a little straight at parts. After looking closer at the palmtree's right south to the cliffs, the block edit was not properly done >.< Yes I am going to down grade you for the lack of tree shading. This map is good overall, but far from perfect. ;D

Spoiler:

Rating: 4.8/10
    Comments: From first view, this is a damn beautiful map, from second view, there are hundreds of flaws with it! Let us start with the waterfalls. They aren't done correctly. Take a peak at Cape Brink, as pointed out by Colcolstyles. Then lets look at yours. Ingame, these would look awful. (I tried). I don't like how the water gets completely straight, then twists and turns and gets straight again. It shows that the water didn't really get planned and was put in last minute. Now, let me get to the point where I REALLY downgraded you. The cliffs. They are 100% horribly done. They look natural at first view, then after closer inspection, they turn out to be not right at all! The tiles used for the cliff do not work the way you incorporated them (talking about the right side)

I have harsh remarks, I'm sorry. But I grade maps the way I would in RHN =/

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
    3/10

Oh my.......
    For starters the end of the beach is terrible and curved into the mountian wich looks herendous.
    Another comment about the beach, it follows the mountain almost perfectley wich isn't too good.

I also hate the tiles, but I cant rate on that so I'll rate your usage of tiles.
    Why in the world would you use the stone ground edges?
    Why wouldn't you use the grass edge?
    Also the longhouse looks terrible, and you should never use two different types of houses, except for things like a lab, gym etc.

The path was formed badly and in some places too wide.

There is too much emptey space in the top left corner of the mountain.
    Again, too much emptey space in the water.
    I especially hate how you made the small trees and many others in straight lines.

Now my finall reason, the biggest one originality.
    This looks a lot like X rays map except ,sorry about this, a lot worse.

You just took his map and added things too it.

Last edited:

Dratii

Working on something new...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I haven't had any of my maps rated in a while so
    Map Name: Long, Long Cave
    Hack Of: Fire Red
    Time Taken: 1-2 hrs
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.