• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    pokemon game base: Fire red
    Pokemon game: I haven't named the game yet

this is the starting town for my game

I already earased the flowers by the upper left house, i just had them there so then i could see where things had to go

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Right, I love mapping caves now...

Name: Rockfall Cave
    ROM: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove (Tiles and Pallettes)
    Notes: I hate mapping, but I like mapping Caves. It was originally a bit different, but now it is like this, so... Consider this the revised map, in a way.

Map:
    Spoiler:

Can someone please rate this? Took me ages to make, and any criticism would be appreciated.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    There really isn't much to say about that map expect that it's perfect. I give it a full 10/10. Everything's the right color and placed in the right spot, and the a mount the rocks is just right. Great job!

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    I have another map for the game

rom base: firered
    game name: i still haven't named it

this is route 1

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    Ninja caterpie's map: i give it a 9/10 because it looks like you kept the indigo plato oval at the same area, as well as some other circles.

now for me:
    i'm putting my 2 older maps and 1 new one on this post

all from: firered
    all for: a game i haven't named yet that i'm making.
    there is the starting city (no name yet)(i deleted the flowers near the upper left house), route 1, and the 2nd city (not named either)(i deleted the sign by the stairs)
    EDIT: i added route 2

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Base ROM: FireRed English (BPRE)
    Map name: Black Burrow
    Map:
    Click!
    Comments: The new HG/SS cave tiles are here!
    Those may look like 12345's, but I ripped them myself.
    Oya, you have to use Flash in the cave.

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    i need mine rated so i know what to improve for my beta 1.
    and the flowers by the upper left building in the first city have been remored, as well as the sign by the stairs in the 2nd city.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    i'm putting my 2 older maps and 1 new one on this post

all from: firered
    all for: a game i haven't named yet that i'm making.
    there is the starting city (no name yet)(i deleted the flowers near the upper left house), route 1, and the 2nd city (not named either)(i deleted the sign by the stairs)
    EDIT: i added route 2
    I cannot even describe how bad some of these are.
    I have a random map I created.

A world map.

xP

Map Rating/Review Thread
    '

I was trying to make it Emerald-styled, but that only works with islands.

>_>
    Pretty good world map. The only things I don't like are the tiny islands, and the fact that the city in the upper left corner is a bit too far up (unless that's where you have the League and the top half is for that, but otherwise, I think you should move it down one tile.
    There really isn't much to say about that map expect that it's perfect. I give it a full 10/10. Everything's the right color and placed in the right spot, and the a mount the rocks is just right. Great job!
    A perfect rating never helps.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    okay then explain. what is bad about them outside of what i pionted out?
    i don't care if you say they aren't in a beauty standard, i need playability,
    and a little beauty. so please explain why.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    okay then explain. what is bad about them outside of what i pionted out?
    i don't care if you say they aren't in a beauty standard, i need playability,
    and a little beauty. so please explain why.
    Eh. It's pretty un-explainable, but I'll try.
    Tile errors. Look at some Niniendo-made maps.
    Squareness. Never a good idea to be overused.
    Size. Nevem make maps so big if they don't need to be.
    Emptiness. Again, can be used sometimes but not too much.

Also, let's not talk about tree shadowing.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    Eh. It's pretty un-explainable, but I'll try.
    Tile errors. Look at some Niniendo-made maps.
    Squareness. Never a good idea to be overused.
    Size. Nevem make maps so big if they don't need to be.
    Emptiness. Again, can be used sometimes but not too much.

Also, let's not talk about tree shadowing.

1 the empty areas are there because you can get on 2 sides of it, but not in it.
    2 the maps are not to square, but i start by making it square adiidng buildings, then take away squareness
    3 i have them the size they should be for the game, and besides everyone, even nintendo, has at least 1 map with extra, unneaded room.
    4 if you say tile errors piont it out. and what areas have the tile errors.
    5 does it matter for tree shading when you play the game? also piont out where tree shading is wrong.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    1 the empty areas are there because you can get on 2 sides of it, but not in it.
    2 the maps are not to square, but i start by making it square adiidng buildings, then take away squareness
    3 i have them the size they should be for the game, and besides everyone, even nintendo, has at least 1 map with extra, unneaded room.
    5 does it matter for tree shading when you play the game? also piont out where tree shading is wrong.
    I am sure that all the answers to your questions stand right in front of your nose.

*sigh* I miss the Reputation button.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years

Actually, all of those those things do matter in a hack. If you're blaming your style on nintendo, almost anybody here will say that the nintendo maps sucks (further proving H20 Turquoise's point). You asked what you should improve your maps on for you beta, not defend against needed criticism.

Years
    Actually, all of those those things do matter in a hack. If you're blaming your style on nintendo, almost anybody here will say that the nintendo maps sucks (further proving H20 Turquoise's point). You asked what you should improve your maps on for you beta, not defend against needed criticism.

I agree with you and H20 Turquoise on everything but the bolded comment. Nintendo's aps don't suck. They may not be natural, but they are great examples of maps. 'Natural' maps lean towards beauty > playability whilst 'Nintendo' maps lean towards playability > beauty. Both of which aren't wrong, but merely a matter of preference over styles. I personally find Nintendo-styled maps much more attractive then the 'natural' ones, if pulled off well.

Anyway, @ siper x:
    You're maps have flaws. Deal with them. Don't just knock off people's critisism. Tree shadows are important. They are physics. Although some of the Pokémno games defy some real-life physics, tree shadows are shadows which happen everywhere. Just like you wouldn't have floating houses. It just won't happen. Now stop being a jerk and instead take in crit, otherwise don't post your maps. Kondekomon, 10/10 never helped anyone. :/

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years

OK, not all of the empty areas are accessible. In this example:
    Spoiler:
    There is a large area towards the top left part of the map that is just green. Does it serve a purpose? What people are getting at here is that the map could be made smaller, enabling it to be more playable and enjoyable.

I don't understand what you are getting at here, but I can empathise with you on this one. I find it incredibly difficult to make a map that is not square. Practice makes perfect on this one I'm afraid. :(

This, again is mainly because of the un-needed blank space. Fill these up. Make them exciting. Use different types of grass too. (Incidentally, the fire red base has four to choose from.) :)

OK, I have circled some of them in the following screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Firstly,the main tile map error on the first map is the grass on top of the mountain. I don't really know what you have done, but you have not done it right. I believe there is a tile that has a mountainous edge on it. That is the tile you should be using instead of the dirt floor.

Spoiler:

Actually, I quite like this map in a weird way. Although it is very simple, it is fairly easy on the eye. I have circled, however, the tree on the right. It just doesn't look right. This is by far the best map, just for the count. :)

Spoiler:

The same problem exists on this map as the first. The hills are not using the correct tile base. There is also a error on the base of the lake, where the bridge does not link all the way onto the grass. This is quite difficult to do, and something that took me and Magneto20 quite a while to master. Perhaps look at how other people map these areas. Also, the stairs heading down, that I have circled do not look right to me. I don't know why. They just don't.

Spoiler:

OK, the main bug-bare about this map is the roof's of the cave entrances. Although it might appear insignificant, there is a special tile which gives a nice rounded top to them, as opposed to the square, cut off look you have at the moment. Also, the mountain is very, very square. I have been told that the art of mapping is to give the illusion of diagonal tiles, while only having square, vertical ones. Try looking at how people like Master of Puppet's maps his mountains, or Deviation's indoor map a few posts up. Use these as inspiration, and practice makes perfect.

Yes. Tree shading is of the utmost importance. Although it is difficult (and I'm useless at this so I can't really help here I'm afraid) it just gives the map a little bit ore personality, and makes it look more professional.

Oh, and something else I have to point out. Flower placement. placing flowers in large blocks does not look good. In fact it looks terrible. Try placing them diagonally across from each other. I believe there was a tutorial on this by Sasquatchd00d, so it may be worth a look.

On the brighter side, the more you map, the better you will get. (Have a look at some of our original Septo Conquest maps if you don't believe me.) :)

Don't take this all to heart, all I am trying to do is help you improve your maps.
    Good luck with the improvements. :)

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    OK, not all of the empty areas are accessible. In this example:
    Spoiler:
    There is a large area towards the top left part of the map that is just green. Does it serve a purpose? What people are getting at here is that the map could be made smaller, enabling it to be more playable and enjoyable.

I don't understand what you are getting at here, but I can empathise with you on this one. I find it incredibly difficult to make a map that is not square. Practice makes perfect on this one I'm afraid. :(

This, again is mainly because of the un-needed blank space. Fill these up. Make them exciting. Use different types of grass too. (Incidentally, the fire red base has four to choose from.) :)

OK, I have circled some of them in the following screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Firstly,the main tile map error on the first map is the grass on top of the mountain. I don't really know what you have done, but you have not done it right. I believe there is a tile that has a mountainous edge on it. That is the tile you should be using instead of the dirt floor.

Spoiler:

Actually, I quite like this map in a weird way. Although it is very simple, it is fairly easy on the eye. I have circled, however, the tree on the right. It just doesn't look right. This is by far the best map, just for the count. :)

Spoiler:

The same problem exists on this map as the first. The hills are not using the correct tile base. There is also a error on the base of the lake, where the bridge does not link all the way onto the grass. This is quite difficult to do, and something that took me and Magneto20 quite a while to master. Perhaps look at how other people map these areas. Also, the stairs heading down, that I have circled do not look right to me. I don't know why. They just don't.

Spoiler:

OK, the main bug-bare about this map is the roof's of the cave entrances. Although it might appear insignificant, there is a special tile which gives a nice rounded top to them, as opposed to the square, cut off look you have at the moment. Also, the mountain is very, very square. I have been told that the art of mapping is to give the illusion of diagonal tiles, while only having square, vertical ones. Try looking at how people like Master of Puppet's maps his mountains, or Deviation's indoor map a few posts up. Use these as inspiration, and practice makes perfect.

Yes. Tree shading is of the utmost importance. Although it is difficult (and I'm useless at this so I can't really help here I'm afraid) it just gives the map a little bit ore personality, and makes it look more professional.

Oh, and something else I have to point out. Flower placement. placing flowers in large blocks does not look good. In fact it looks terrible. Try placing them diagonally across from each other. I believe there was a tutorial on this by Sasquatchd00d, so it may be worth a look.

On the brighter side, the more you map, the better you will get. (Have a look at some of our original Septo Conquest maps if you don't believe me.) :)

Don't take this all to heart, all I am trying to do is help you improve your maps.
    Good luck with the improvements. :)

This is the most helpful post out of all the raters that rated my maps. thanks for pointing some of this out, but the mountain tiles i made for stairs that go down the back side were circled on the second city. why?

mitchel1

Rom-hacker/scripter
    Years
    Map name: Icey path xD (No orginale name in my head atm)
    Made for: Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina
    Rom: Pokemon fire red.
    Comments: Because I was bored I made this map xD. If iI look at it I think its still nice done and that between 30 minutes ^^ Please do not steal the map!
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Hope you'll rate it ^^
    ------------------------------
    Mitchel1

Years
    i think that the main thing wrong with this part of the map was the shading of the stairs downward. for some reason this just makes it look a bit like you are going upward. in firered there is also a tile that was already in the game on tileset 63

View attachment 50844

Hack: Pokemon omega
    Base ROM: FireRed English
    Map name: Route 62
    Map:
    View attachment 50846
    Comments: i put in the sprites just to show the purpose of the map a bit more

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Map name: Icey path xD (No orginale name in my head atm)
    Made for: Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina
    Rom: Pokemon fire red.
    Comments: Because I was bored I made this map xD. If iI look at it I think its still nice done and that between 30 minutes ^^ Please do not steal the map!
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Hope you'll rate it ^^
    ------------------------------
    Mitchel1

Owwh, I like this map. It's small, clever, and the right amount of decor for it to be beautiful. It has good playability too, and I like how you set up the ice/slide puzzle. And to boot it off, you need to have a abnormal perspective to see the key to the puzzle, and once you do, it is instantly solved. I like the teaser you set up to get the item in the upper right hand side, as it wuold be a pain for anybody to fall down the hole xD.

But there are some things to point out. The water leakage thing near the upper exit seems a little akward, but in another light, it fits in perfectly. I'm not sure how to improve it.

Also, the patterns of the mountains/cliffs seem to be the same and go in a pattern as they go down. It looks good from a perspective that the cave was cared out.

Overall i give it a 9-9.5/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back