• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I'm starting a new hack WhiteGarnet and this is my region map for the game:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Please comment!

I'm not going to ask how you're going to make all that.

It looks very nice, but it's crowded. Really, really, crowded. There's way too much stuff.

Years
    I'm starting a new hack WhiteGarnet and this is my region map for the game:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Please comment!

In addition to what Ninja Caterpie said about it being too busy, there are way too many dead ends. Of course, this leads to too much back-tracking. I will say that you did do a good job on the geography of the map, but it's just a giant cluster that's not very well planned out.

My suggestions: Remove about a fourth to a half of the cities and routes, and modify the routes to flow and connect with one another. The occasional dead end is fine, though I would suggest 3, maybe 4 max. Remember, there doesn't have to be a town at each route intersection, either. And just remember, the key to a map is flow.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Map Name: Wayward Path
    Map Game: FireRed
    Comments: For my upcoming hack, I must apologize for (a few) tile errors though.

Spoiler:

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Ok, Ima rate and comment, the maps are very good, but I have a question, on Route 102, was it really needed to have so many sets of stairs in the map? But the whole thing with the cave near the beginning seems kinda cool. 9/10

at least one person rated and comented :D

well, maybe your right, the right part of the map of route 102 with the rock and all these stairs going up, back down and so is useless, I think I'll need to make the map mor playable^^

and the cave in fact I also wanted to change it, but if you say its cool I'll leave it^^
    in fact the cave leads at ounce to an island in the middle of the ocean without passing through a tunnel or something so so I thought it was unrealistic, but maybe I'll just add a long tunnel then it will be more realistic ;)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    it really hurts me, not one person rated or commented my maps :( :( :(

I have the total opposite opinions to the other two raters sorry :\

Route 102:

The wild grass is a big problem, it covers most of the map but in a weird pattern so there are lots of gaps, which are often flowers.

The flowers are another problem, there are way too many of them in my opinion. There is very little plain grass.

The rocks in the puddles are just... wrong. If you want rocks in the water then block edit the normal rocks.

Trees: small trees should not be used to make 'forest' type patterns like you've done with big blocks of them. Use both kinds of trees instead of only using the big ones for the border.

Too many 1tile walking spaces.

Personally I think you have tried to put too much in one map, with all the puddles, rocks, grass flowers and ponds. It could do with being less busy.

3/10

"The other one"

Again, this has a similar feel where you have tried too much at once.

2 (3? Is that thing by the waterfall even usable?) caves and a Gym and houses and a Pokémon center. Then there is wild grass, sand, grass, flowers. It's all mind blowing to be honest XD.

The cave in the pool of water should totally go, you have used the tiles for seawater for one thing, why would there be a random pool, inland, as deep as the sea?

Next there are a lot of trees in this desert, but it kind of works to some extent - perhaps take the patch out that is right in the middle of town.

PATHS. This town needs paths so much, it's just sand everywhere and so it looks boring, which is probably why you overcompensated with so many trees and things. I honestly can't remember what types of maps ruby ROMs have but maybe get a ROM-base that includes some for you to use.

The little maze to get to the gym is annoying and pointless and so should probably be abolished.

The grass in the top of the town map should probably be part of a route instead, but I'll ignore it for now as it's not in the main part of the town.

4/10

One problem I have noticed after seeing both your maps is that you are trying to include a lot of connections to each one. The first map has two gaps on each side, and the town has a possible 4 routes of exit from it. Try making more defined routes from the town.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Spoiler:

hmm.........I really don't know what to say^^

well, first......

route 102:

with the wild grass your right, I put too much and also too many flowers, in fact the problem was that I hadn't enough different tiles but I didn't want the map to be empty

then, the trees it's the same, I was not yet finished with the tiles so I couldn't mix the big and small trees, but now I got many different kind of trees ;D

then the rocks in the puddle its the same problem of tiles^^

finaly, the one-tile walking places this is really a big problem I think, when hacking I was always testing it and when I needed to cross this route it was always so difficult^^

but anyway, I got a good news!!
    I posted this map just to know your opinion but anyway I already looked forward to change it, and 2 weeks ago I all suddenly got a problem with my rom and many maps just dissapeared of the rom -_-'
    but at least now I need to redow the map and I'll take note of all what you said ;D

then, dewford town:

I just realized that I put the older map ^^
    this maps I already changed it a few time ago......

-the waterfall place is reachable
    -there are only 2 routes of exit of it, up which leads to a route and right which lead to the sea
    -the gym was changed also
    -the cave in the pool has gone(I myself noticed that it was totaly useless^^)

thats all.......

if not to what you said further,

so as I already told the upper part where is grass it doesn't really belong to the city it rather belongs the the route above, so ignore it^^

the trees I put them because th map just seemed too empty .....
    put I did a new tileset(I don't know if you know but I'm am tiler^^)
    so I will put paths in the town to put less trees

well, I think thats all.......just a last thing, I don't really think I tried to put too much on one map, because as you can see these are 2 bis maps so when you play in it if you see one thing you don't see the rest and it doesn't seem at all as if I put everything possible on one map^^

well, anyway thanks, you helped me very much :)

I'll son repost the maps when they will be redone with also all new tiles I did ;D

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
    here a new map [remember the first map i posted here a better and simple version] yes it meant to be simple!
    Map Rating/Review Thread

credit to zein

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    I think I just made the world's worst map. It's for WhiteGarnet. Give me all you got, I really want to improve. Cool?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Not yet.
    Map Game: FireRed, I think.
    Comments: First time making a sand-surrounded town/city/village. So please check it out!

Map Shot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think I just made the world's worst map. It's for WhiteGarnet. Give me all you got, I really want to improve. Cool?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Not yet.
    Map Game: FireRed, I think.
    Comments: First time making a sand-surrounded town/city/village. So please check it out!

Map Shot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

It's not the worse, but there are a few improvements.

Where the water meets the sand there are a few corner mistakes.

The border of this map is an absolute mess >< that needs fixing. The way you have tried to cut off the map is very weird and makes the whole island look very confined, and islands should be nice and space-y. - As in, how you have blocked off the water.

The unenterable houses are probably un-needed and the others are so close together! The other part of the high ground is empty.

Hedges are horrible, small bushes and flowers please, maybe even a small tree or two.

Erm... 4/10 probably, needs a lot of improvement though.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Map name: Route 1006
    Game: Pokemon Sunlight
    Orig. Rom: Fire Red
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Just a little map I made.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Map name: Route 1006
    Game: Pokemon Sunlight
    Orig. Rom: Fire Red
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Just a little map I made.

Your map is incredibly empty. If your going to make a big make so much space. I see a tile error by the mountains, and that tile error is cause by a huge wrong looking mountain pattern. Again the empty space is a really bad thing to have. Remember that the player's view radios is 7 steps, so a lot of places in your map is incredibly empty which doesn't look good in a game.

rating 5/10

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Map Name: Ecruteak City (Pre-Earthquake/Prototype)
    ROM: Fire Red
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Another remake of a prototype map.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Map Name: Ecruteak City (Pre-Earthquake/Prototype)
    ROM: Fire Red
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Another remake of a prototype map.

Your map is incredibly square, there is an abundance of straight positioned trees and the entire wall thing is a tile error, try to use a fence instead. Once again even the lake is square. I think it would be better if you placed your trees in other than straight lines, and paths in more less square patterns, also there is alot of free space as well.

3.5/10

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Your map is incredibly square, there is an abundance of straight positioned trees and the entire wall thing is a tile error, try to use a fence instead. Once again even the lake is square. I think it would be better if you placed your trees in other than straight lines, and paths in more less square patterns, also there is alot of free space as well.

3.5/10

I don't understand what you mean about the wall-thing - that is supposed to be the railway.

The map's based on this:

Spoiler:

Although now that you mention it, I might add a few more houses to the map.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Ok, well the railway on the remake doesn't look like a railway i thought it was a messed up wall, no offence. Another thing is that it still doesn't look appealing in on third gen, take a look at a few maps around here (that have been rated over 7.5), they usually tend to be good :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I might take your advice on curving the pathway round to the Tin Tower a bit. I want to add more houses to the map too.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    forgive me
    Map name: Caves
    Rom: Ruby
    Poke II
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I hope you enjoys~
    Your map's basis is a good idea. I see what you are trying to do - however, you did not do it too well. I see you wanted to make a map with grass and caves and the sea. This usually doesn't work, but I admire you for trying.

You have many tile errors, mostly corners that should have grass underneath them but still have remaining rocks under them.

I don't know if you were trying to make a bridge leading up north, because if you weren't, you should know that you did. Also, if you didn't mean to do that, there is a border error going on. :)

Usually don't go with 1-width stairs, they are ugly.

Hmm... total 3/10.
    Here is mah newest creation (sadly)
    Map Name: ENIGO ISLAND
    ROM: Pokémon FireRed
    Hack Name: Pokémon: Wrath of Enigma
    Map Rating/Review Thread

EDIT: Ignore the "DSoL" above (/\), I put that there for claiming reasons when I put the map in the game...
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Plain and simple, this map is terrible. I know you told me to ignore DSOL, but it is terribly ugly and should be removed imediately. The grass and the flowers are completely utterly unnatural and look like they were just randomly thrown in to the map. It is terribly square.

The mountain is ugly and full of tile errors, and is very, very square and un... passionate. It looks like you made this map out of force rather than fun. It is ridiculously terrible.

Your hedges are terribly unnatural and are full of nature errors and are perfectly straight, which is perfectly the wrong way to do things.

The grass in the checkerboard shape looks terrible and should be fixed immediately. It is not shaped at all like it should be. I suggest you read a mapping tutorial before you post a map because all you will get is a bad rating.

0/10

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back