• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • map name:route 1
    game hacked:fire red
    comments:this is for my first hack ever, so please rate.

map:

hope you like it !

i do like it
    7/10
    mainly because there are 4 entry points... unless it's meant to be central?

Map Name: Mt. GeoStone (it sucks)
    Map Game: FR
    Clikce!

Comments:
    It's the second route from my hack, from Argian Town to Rocky Town.
    Flame me all you's want.

first of all it's got nice geographical features.
    the only reason it's bad is because there are weird rock overlaps.
    8/10 without tile errors
    4/10 with tile errors

cheers

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    map name:route 1
    game hacked:fire red
    comments:this is for my first hack ever, so please rate.

map:

hope you like it !
    Very nice~

Rating: 8.9/10
    Errors: Empty space.
    Suggestions: Fill up the few empty spaces.
    Comments: A beautiful map by the brother of Luca 9~
    The shape is just so great. The tinyledges are nice. The pond shape is good, and how the grass and flowers are placed is nice too.
    Great job~

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Map Name: Claremont Heights
    Base: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments: The 2nd town in my hack. A mountain village sort.
    Spoiler:

Credits: Kyledove, Wesley FG
    Rating: 4/10
    Why the heck? This map really isn't that great, sorry to say. The first thing I notice is the awkward placement of all the buildings. They are just placed in a way that you would never see in a real city. The tree placement is pretty good, except there is a blocky feel to the shape. The paths are not my cup of tea. They are very fat, and uniform in size, and they are very straight. There is quite a bit of empty space, and that's kinda a drawback. The mountains are pretty good, however, they are a tad too straight.

Thanks I'll try to improve. But if you're talking about the palm trees with wrong shading then it was made by Peyi, who I think is an excellent spriter. Nope, I meant the shading on the regular trees, it wasn't used right ^_^

I'd like to post another map.
    Map Name: Dawn Town
    Base: Pokemon Ruby
    Comments: The second town in my hack.
    Spoiler:
    Rating: 7/10
    Why the heck? The tree shape is quite nice, it works with the way you placed the houses and path and those such things; however, you didn't use the tree shadows correctly again. The path shape is actually quite nice, it has plenty of bends and turns in it. I can't believe you have a tile error that blatantly obvious :P I like the placement of the buildings, it just compensates the maps whole feel. This map is still pretty empty, but I'll let it slide, because nobody else seems to care much about that :P The water shape is pretty good, but the larger pool seems to have a bit of a blocky feel to it. Also, the small patch should eb calm water, because there is nothing to move the water around. Overall, you did pretty good, keep it up.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    Name: Navel Island (Orange Islands)
    Game: Fire Red
    Comments: I don't think it's the best I could do butI need suggestions.

my.php

my.php

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • ok fixed the waterfall edges and the back a bit.
    Thing-1.png

:edit:
    I think I forgot to do the edges on in at the bottom of the middle waterfall
    That map is absolutely beautiful!
    The Mountains are perfect, the grass formation is flawless
    The Tree Placement is Flawless
    The flowers, sea, waterfalls, PERFECT! I could go on and on, but who'd read it? XD

I give it a 6/10 :D
    WOOT!

Just kidding, I give it a perfect, 10/10 (aside from the fact that you mentioned the tile errors) ;)

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • I worked on the third tileset for my Hack Legend of Fenju
    So now i want to see what you think of the things ive done so far (tiles and palettes)
    test.png

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    So now i want to see what you think of the things ive done so far (tiles and palettes)
    test.png

Are we meant to rate that map or it's tiles? The tiles are meant to go in the Tile and Palette rating thread...

Map rating:
    Mapping - 10/10 - Perfect: Perfect, Neti, simply perfect! You've outdone yourself again. :P Tree placement is great, and, as usual, mountain and water shape is beautiful.
    Creativity - 3/5 - Very good: Nothing much to say, but it's, ya know, really familiar sorta. It's simple (I like that too) but...it's not really that unique either. :\ Oh well, you did well.
    Playability - 5/5 - Perfect:Perfect, Neti. It's simple, so the player doesn't need to run around an obstacle course to get out, but it's very...uh...I can't think of a word to go here. xP

Years
    test.png
    The tiles are nice but i don't really like the palettes.
    The map overall is ok it's not one of your best maps,there still empty spaces i give it a 8/10.
    good work Neti !

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
    test.png

nice map :D
    i give it 8.5/10 [Awsome!]
    because I like the map shape, it looks easy to navagate and every thing is spaced out...

Tiles:
    nice tiles! but rnt the most of the buildings from Emerald? :D
    well tht doesnt matter! XD
    The trees dont look right though... [big tree] (probably because of palettes)
    7.5/10 [Awsome!]

пзо

zzirRusty
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Siddo Town

Siddo Town.
    Map of Fire Red
    I know its small, but its a random map I doodled just now.
    And its basic too!
    And also its my seccond map!

SiddoTown.jpg

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Siddo Town.
    Map of Fire Red
    I know its small, but its a random map I doodled just now.
    And its basic too!
    And also its my seccond map!

Spoiler:
    Rating 5/10[Average]{C}
    Why the Heck? The tree shape is quite nice, but the map is so small, it is a simple task to give the trees a good form. There seems to be a shortage of flowers, there are a few scattered around the map, and there should be a few more in my opinion. The path is way to thick, especially for a town that small. Also, the path dosen't even go to the doorsteps to both of the houses. There is an issue with some empty space, but, alas, I'm not counting off for that anymore, unless it is taken to the extreme. This map would probably look like rubbish with stock Fire Red tiles, so keep that in mind. All in all, the map is average, however it could be a lot better. Keep improving, and I hope to see more maps from you.
    Comments PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GIVE CREDIT FOR THE ROMBASE AND TILES USED!

Spoiler:

Im helping out with an rmxp game, here is the forest, as requested with dp tiles and nintendo style.
    Credit to keyldove for the tiles
    Rating 5.5/10[Average]{C}
    Why the heck? The tree shape is great, although you have a lot of space to work with. There is a big issue with the empty space in this map. There is enough to take off points for. This map just dosen't look right, with all the empty space and what not. The flowers are placed...awkwardly, to say the least. There are a few patches of flowers, instead of scattering them around the map, to fill up some of the space and what not. The wild grass has an issue with placement. All of the wild grass in placed linear, in lines and it's not scattered like it would be in nature. Furthermore, there isn't much of it, and the player dosen't have to go through any of it to get through the map, which is very boring in gameplay. You could have added more grass, and scattered it around more, to help with the emptiness issue. I know he requested it Nintendo-style, but the tree placement and such takes away from that factor. Overall, the map is a good try, but it has enough flaws to make it an average map. Keep improving, and keep mapping!

Last edited:

bugsbunny

Ain't I a Stinker?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2021
    Map 1:
    Name: Miele Forest
    Made in Photoshop
    Comments: The yellow trees are honey trees in FR/LG style.

Map 2:
    Name: Route Brücke
    Made in Photoshop
    Comments: Again, the yellow tree is a honey tree

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Well, I decided to try my hand at mapping with stock Fire Red tiles, and this is what happened.

Map Name Cesca Hollows

Game N/A

Base ROM Fire Red[English]

Mapping Time About 2 hours

Mapshot
    Spoiler:

Comments Even though it may not look like it, I did a lot of block edits.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk126/example_02/map-4.png?t=1229742675
    Im helping out with an rmxp game, here is the forest, as requested with dp tiles and nintendo style.
    Credit to keyldove for the tiles

If you tried to make it nintendoish you soughta failed.
    The grass doesn't fit in at all, the trees aren't lined very well and there are no paths, plus it is WAY TO EMPTY, even Nintendo didn't make it like that.
    4/10.

Well, I decided to try my hand at mapping with stock Fire Red tiles, and this is what happened.

Map Name Cesca Hollows

Game N/A

Mapshot
    Spoiler:

The overall map looks quite good, but in depth it's too difficult and annoying for the player.
    I find it surprising you used the wooden sign for the grass, even though someone would want to make a connection quite well and noticeable, and town signs for the mountains.
    Would you find it normal to see a metal sign in the middle of a mountain?

7.5/10

AdvanceMapper

Stop scaring the little kids!
    Years
  • Map Name: Aridano Town
    Map Game: Fire Red ( what do you thnk?)

Comments: It's a village turned big witht the vast amount of snow. Also, there's a bunch of ice because there was a river here before it froze.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Well, I decided to try my hand at mapping with stock Fire Red tiles, and this is what happened.

Map Name Cesca Hollows

Game N/A

Mapshot
    Spoiler:

Rating: 6/10
    Reason: I'm not being harsh on this. It's just the execution looks great from an overview, but wouldn't work quite well in-game. Sure, it looks phenomenal from an overview, but not the same ingame. You need to think of how the player would feel going through a complicated map such as this. There are a load of tree shadow errors, and the way the trees are scatter looks god awful. The mountain shape is a bit awkward, and there are 4 tile errors within each of the mountains (in total). Though it may look natural, it's far from perfect.

Note to everybody: I refuse to rate maps that will receive under a 5.5 in my opinion. I am an extremely harsh rater, but that can only help the person, not make them worse. If you disagree with my ratings, bring that up with me, don't rant about it in the thread, thank you. =)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back