• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samike360

Lover of May
Years
  • Map name: Russet Town (Russet is a reddish shade of brown)

ROM:
    Firered

Hack:
    An upcoming hack by me (no thread)

Comments:
    My favorite part of mapping is making the mountains on routes...so I decided to make an entire town in the mountains. This town will house the first gym, maybe (I don't want to use the overused rock type as the first gym). Also, I spent forever on the block editor trying to make the houses and gym not on grass.

Credits: I'm using MASTEROFPUPPET's rom base, and it rocks!

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Map name: Russet Town (Russet is a reddish shade of brown)

ROM: Firered

Hack: An upcoming hack by me (no thread)

Comments: My favorite part of mapping is making the mountains on routes...so I decided to make an entire town in the mountains. This town will house the first gym, maybe (I don't want to use the overused rock type as the first gym). Also, I spent forever on the block editor trying to make the houses and gym not on grass.

Credits: I'm using MASTEROFPUPPET's rom base, and it rocks!

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

I guess it looks okay, but I think it would be better if you had less rocks protruding from the ground. Apart from that, it's okay. 7/10.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • game: pokemon ruby
    map name: none
    comments:probobly one of my last freestyled routes.... please don't worry about border errors. you guys will either love it or hate it(preferably the first).
    credits: Ozuma and JH corp
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    comments:probobly one of my last freestyled routes.... please don't worry about border errors. you guys will either love it or hate it(preferably the first).
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

It looks okay, I see no tiles errors. However, I would say that you need to use less of the GSC revamped tiles and moe flowers, to make the map looks a lot nicer. :3

9/10 - Good map and would probably take hours to get through.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

9/10

It's a really great map in my opinion, there are many twists and turns throughout to make the map confusing and fun :) However, in many places the player would be ridiculously cramped, and with the addition of trainers, people, and items, the player would be very limited in mobility. Also, I'm not counting off for the tiles, but the ledges don't look great in my opinion on top of the rocks, and I'm not a huge fan of the johto trees.

-Omega-

Machu Pikachu
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    Map name : none
    Comments : this is the second route I've made.
    Sorry, there aren't any flowers, I'll add them later.
    Link - i45.tinypic.com/2n7oyu9.jpg

Last edited:

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • Map name : none
    Comments : this is the first route I've made.
    Sorry, there aren't any flowers, I'll add them later.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I actually quite like this map. The tree placement is good, however, tree shading is non-existent. Look at the tileset - there are 2 types of large tree. The other is for ones that are touching others, and has a slightly different shadow features, making the map look more complete.
    The main things that bug me are the path at the bottom - it doesn't lead to anywhere, or come from anywhere - is there a point to it? Also, towards the bottom of the map, there are several areas with only one square paths in which the player can walk in - not very good from a playability term. Remove some trees. Arrangement of the houses are poor also. Too square, and together.
    Anyways, a good map - 5/10, (6/10 with flowers) :)

incidentally, remember to place flowers in clumps of at least three, touching diagonally, as it looks a lot more realistic.

Good luck.

Also, please place images in link tabs or a spoiler as I have edited above - it makes replying a lot easier process. Thanks.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    Pynha Canyon
    FireRed
    You get to this area after becoming the Champion. The ruins have a legendary Pokémon in them.
    img513.imageshack.us/img513/660/pynhacanyon.png

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Pynha Canyon
    FireRed
    You get to this area after becoming the Champion. The ruins have a legendary Pokémon in them.
    img513.imageshack.us/img513/660/pynhacanyon.png
    Nice, I really like the rocks and their layout in order to make the place a maze, but it seems too square and boring in some parts. add some spicy terrain or small pouches of rocky areas around to make it look morel ike a cracked canyon. You seem to be improving, though.

7/10.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    Pynha Canyon
    FireRed
    I fixed the parts that were too square and added extra rocks.
    img192.imageshack.us/img192/660/pynhacanyon.png

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Pynha Canyon
    FireRed
    I fixed the parts that were too square and added extra rocks.
    img192.imageshack.us/img192/660/pynhacanyon.png
    It's definately an improvement, however not a big one. You don't have to post every time you do small changes in your map. Some places still seem square and boring to me (maybe it's just me!) so 7+/10.

-Omega-

Machu Pikachu
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    [/SPOILER]

I actually quite like this map. The tree placement is good, however, tree shading is non-existent. Look at the tileset - there are 2 types of large tree. The other is for ones that are touching others, and has a slightly different shadow features, making the map look more complete.
    The main things that bug me are the path at the bottom - it doesn't lead to anywhere, or come from anywhere - is there a point to it? Also, towards the bottom of the map, there are several areas with only one square paths in which the player can walk in - not very good from a playability term. Remove some trees. Arrangement of the houses are poor also. Too square, and together.
    Anyways, a good map - 5/10, (6/10 with flowers) :)

incidentally, remember to place flowers in clumps of at least three, touching diagonally, as it looks a lot more realistic.

Good luck.

Also, please place images in link tabs or a spoiler as I have edited above - it makes replying a lot easier process. Thanks.
    Thanks.
    By the way, why can't the houses be together and square ?

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • Thanks.
    By the way, why can't the houses be together and square ?

Oh, it was not meant to be a "the houses CANNOT be placed like that!" comment, it is just something that irritates me. Preferably, I like staggered houses, where they are not all on in a neat line. (if that makes any sense).

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I got skipped.

Map name: Unnamed coast - Unnamed mountain road - Unnamed village - Unnamed canyon
    ROM: Gold
    Hack: Pineapple (working title)
    Comments: I've had the idea for this for years.

For a gbc map that looks really nice. Very playable :P I wonder what it would be like in the GBA. :3

Rating - 8/10.

Years
  • Hey guys,
    I am working on my ROM hack, but I am a programmer not an artist.
    I finished mapping the first two areas, and scripting the first, but I want your opinion on my mapping.
    I am using the original fire red tileset, with a few modifications, for reasons that will be explained when I release my beta.

The northern area has three 'objectives.' One by the rocks in the north west, one in the house in the north west, and one in the tall grass in the south.

Suggestions?

* I just noticed the bridge in the north is a bit weird, I'm going to fix that :D

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Hey guys,
    I am working on my ROM hack, but I am a programmer not an artist.
    I finished mapping the first two areas, and scripting the first, but I want your opinion on my mapping.
    I am using the original fire red tileset, with a few modifications, for reasons that will be explained when I release my beta.

The northern area has three 'objectives.' One by the rocks in the north west, one in the house in the north west, and one in the tall grass in the south.

Suggestions?

* I just noticed the bridge in the north is a bit weird, I'm going to fix that :D

I don't like this map very much. I can't tell whether it's a ctiy or toue. It has too many tile errors. You have tried to combine Nintendo style mapping with natural mapping it looks really bad. Also, you have no grass in the player's way, which doesn't make th map very good, because then it's not very challenging.

I'm giving this a 3/10.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back