• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
Years
  • Rating: 10/10
    Reason: This map is great! I like how the entire thing is a big twist and it kinda just dead-ends. But, is the exit on the right intentional? Probly is, buuut. Yeah, 10/10!
    I know that my map got 0/10, buuut, I'm still allowed to rate.
    It didn't deserve 10/10. That was a useless rate and had no sense. It was a waste of post. Just because your maps are pathetic doesn't meen everybody else's maps are great.
    Ok. Here is a new map (completely custom). I apologize for not rating Anselection's, but my ratings are noobish, as I have no idea what good maps are.

Map Name: ENIGO BRIDGE

ROM Base: FireRed

Hack Name: Pokémon: Wrath of Enigma

Comments: Ok. This is the place that leads to ENIGO CAVE (in progress) where you fight the final legend of my hack. I apologize in advance for the tile errors at the bottom right and left corners of the lake, I can't find the rock corners... This is connected to a map only at the bottom, so the trees at bottom are a roadblock.

NOTE: This is supposed to be a mountainous area. Also, there would be a picture above this text, but it won't let me copy/paste like I did the first time:(
    Oh, Darkest Shade of Light, Darkest Shade of Light, Darkest Shade of Light... you really didn't learn from the last time, did you?

This map, oh, this map is almost WORSE than the first one. And that is kind of sad. Well, I guess that I will rate by section.

Border 0/10
    You have none, and that is a massive problem. Playability is a main issue in hacks, and you're map is unplayable. Mostly because of the border. You see, your rocks and trees are messed up. You would see something totally terrible.

Tile Errors 2/10
    Tree shadowing, rock errors, stair errors. Your tree shadows are all messed up and look wrong. You're stairs have no shading. And your rocks look messed up - why are there those 2 going off of the side? It makes no sense. Also, the water is one big tile error.

Squareness 7/10
    Your map is basically unsquare, but the pond is an unsightly mess of tile errors and epic squareness. And those 2 caves look odd and out of place.

Total 9/30 Pathetic
    Route 1 was an imporvement, this one is pathetic. An idea - read more tutorials.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • Ok. Here is a new map (completely custom). I apologize for not rating Anselection's, but my ratings are noobish, as I have no idea what good maps are.

Map Name: ENIGO BRIDGE

Comments: Ok. This is the place that leads to ENIGO CAVE (in progress) where you fight the final legend of my hack. I apologize in advance for the tile errors at the bottom right and left corners of the lake, I can't find the rock corners... This is connected to a map only at the bottom, so the trees at bottom are a roadblock.

NOTE: This is supposed to be a mountainous area. Also, there would be a picture above this text, but it won't let me copy/paste like I did the first time:(

well........

your map just doesn't look natural, the mountains are not good at all!
    and your map is also not playable because you just have not one border, and from every side you could find an exit of the route to an other......

the lake is also toatly unnatural, it is too square......

and the cave also havn't got their place there......

I really don't know how to rate it, I couldn't give more than 2/10, sorry :(

you second map was much better than the first and this last one, I thought you understood the princip of mapping but.......finaly I see that you still didn't understand ........

I think you will need much help for mapping.......

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Border 0/10
    You have none, and that is a massive problem. Playability is a main issue in hacks, and you're map is unplayable. Mostly because of the border. You see, your rocks and trees are messed up. You would see something totally terrible.

Tile Errors 2/10
    Tree shadowing, rock errors, stair errors. Your tree shadows are all messed up and look wrong. You're stairs have no shading. And your rocks look messed up - why are there those 2 going off of the side? It makes no sense. Also, the water is one big tile error.

Squareness 7/10
    Your map is basically unsquare, but the pond is an unsightly mess of tile errors and epic squareness. And those 2 caves look odd and out of place.

Total 9/30 Pathetic
    Route 1 was an imporvement, this one is pathetic. An idea - read more tutorials.
    ---About the borders, there is a tree border surrounding this, every place you could see the border, would make sense, and where the rocks run off the level, there is either an impossibility to reach the sight area, or, it is connected to a map below it.
    ---About the water, I would really like to see the tile errors here, I know it's square, but I can't really make a circle with square tiles, and I can only think of two tile errors that, after half an hour of inspection, seemed minor, those tiles are the bottom corners.
    ---The stairs: I just noticed after reading your post, that there was a difference in the two stairs, a little shadow. I was planning on editing this (or just plain deleting it) anyways, so I'll keep the stair thing in mind.
    ---Once again, thank you for the review, I'll keep in mind that I have a problem with mountains from now on. I'll read any more tutorials I can find, and implement what I learn into the maps.

@simdu68, I can't see anywhere to leave the map but south...

EDIT: I'm adding a map of the Itrave (I-trave) forest where my Celebii Event Occurs.

Map Name: Itrave Forest

Comments: Like I said, this is the map for the Celebii Event in Wrath if Enigma. There is supposed to be a lot of open space here, because there are a bunch of things I will be putting into this map event-wise... Celebii would be in the top left-hand corner of the pond (bigger pond), 1 space in(down and right 1).

I still can't copy/paste in maps!!! :( Any help on that part?

Last edited:

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • Map Rating/Review Thread

can someone please rate

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Well, looking at the recent map by you DSOL, I would say that there is too much empty space. Which in this case is the main problem. Also there is too many flowers, which, by the way are positioned unnaturally. The lake looks very wrong. How many lakes have that kind of shape? it doesn't look very natural. Take a look at the documents and tutorials section, are good tutorials back there, one by a fellow named link, check it out and see what you could learn. Tile errors are very minimal, I only spotted 1 thing for tile errors, which are the tree outlines on the bottom of the map you used the wrong tree tile there.

3/10

Total 9/30 Pathetic

Your need to learn something called respect. Why in the hell would you write pathetic? Your entire post seemed like a bombardment of insults. Please learn how to communicate with people properly, your directly insulting a member. THAT is pathetic. An idea - don't insult others or post in a way that can be.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Your need to learn something called respect. Why in the hell would you write pathetic? Your entire post seemed like a bombardment of insults. Please learn how to communicate with people properly, your directly insulting a member. THAT is pathetic. An idea - don't insult others or post in a way that can be.

Hot n cold knows what she is talking about. Honestly, her post wasn't an insult, it was a substantial piece of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. And it wasn't like she was going " Oh Your map is so pathetic! It wasn't even a map! Ohh burnn!!," as what she said was more as a way to describe a map. Pathetic was the desired adjective :P,it was worse than bad, but pathetic is sure better than horrible or piece of crap. Be less sensitive :P, one word shouldn't piss you off :P

Map Rating/Review Thread

can someone please rate

A good nintendo style map ^^. I like the general format, but as said earlier, the one block wide paths, (the southern one and the middle one) need to go :P. Take away several of the bumps, and maybe add some more grass blocks.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I think I just made the world's worst map. It's for WhiteGarnet. Give me all you got, I really want to improve. Cool?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Not yet.
    Map Game: FireRed, I think.
    Comments: First time making a sand-surrounded town/city/village. So please check it out!

Map Shot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Border 0/10
    *facepalm* utter failure. This is the worst thing ever. I don't even want to know what this looks like in-game. Just give up, please.

Tile Errors 0/10
    Countless errors along the edge of the water. And the standard rock tile doesn't look good over water. It looks like it's floating. Rocks don't float...retard. Gosh.

Squareness 0/10
    There's no consistency here. The beach tiles are curved here and then completely straight there. The bushes are so ugly that I can't even think of anything to do to myself that would be painful enough to distract me from their awfulness. And the one-tile-wide paths are the worst thing since your border (see section "Border").

Total 0/10 Utterly and completely abysmal
    This map is one big tile error. An idea - learn to give constructive criticism.

Also:
    Playability is a main issue in hacks, and you're map is unplayable.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Border 0/10
    *facepalm* utter failure. This is the worst thing ever. I don't even want to know what this looks like in-game. Just give up, please.

Tile Errors 0/10
    Countless errors along the edge of the water. And the standard rock tile doesn't look good over water. It looks like it's floating. Rocks don't float...retard. Gosh.

Squareness 0/10
    There's no consistency here. The beach tiles are curved here and then completely straight there. The bushes are so ugly that I can't even think of anything to do to myself that would be painful enough to distract me from their awfulness. And the one-tile-wide paths are the worst thing since your border (see section "Border").

Total 0/10 Utterly and completely abysmal
    This map is one big tile error. An idea - learn to give constructive criticism.

o_O... OUCH.

Do you mind rating my map now? It's around the middle of the page, no one rated it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • For the first time in half a year, I found the inspiration to make another map. As usual, it isn't meant to be played in a real hack, so the areas that the player can't actually see are still meant to look good/ be rated. (Although it is still meant to be playable.)

Map Name: Crescent Lake

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I'm gonna skip the story behind the map this time, so I can see what you think before hearing me point out the billions of obvious problems. (Although, most of them are just because it's near impossible to make a natural map with Emerald tiles.)
    Third try's the charm? (As usual...)

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Name: Route 1007
    Game: Pokemon Sunlight
    Rom: Pokemon Fire Red(MasterOfPuppets' Rom Base)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Just a route I made for my hack.
    Please rate like this: Pros > Cons > Improvement Ideas > Rating(1-10)

Wow, your mapping has improved by a lot, I remember when I stalked read your post a few weeks back, it was no offence not the best, however now its looking much better. Just two things. One is the little path kinda area going away from the actual map, well it looks awkward. When your separating you should consider placing more than one tree to separate, which is done along the line of trees. Over all nice Nintendo/semi-natural mix :)

8/10

I reduced points because of the square section and the rest was based on the overall feel of the map. Nice improvement though.

Blitz said:
    And it wasn't like she was going " Oh Your map is so pathetic! It wasn't even a map! Ohh burnn!!," as what she said was more as a way to describe a map. Pathetic was the desired adjective ,it was worse than bad, but pathetic is sure better than horrible or piece of crap.

I donno it sounded pretty close to that :/

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Third try's the charm? (As usual...)
    The map seems pretty good by me. But, my ratings have been known to be WAY off, so... Ya, I agree about the Emerald Tiles part, but the map seems pretty natural the way you put it. Question: Is the single white dot in the bottom-right corner of the rocks in the lake just part of the beginning of the next wave effect, or is that a tile error?
    9.7/10
    It would've been a ten, but I get nagged because of borders, so I guess they're important, and from what I see, this can't have a border... Sry

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • The map seems pretty good by me. But, my ratings have been known to be WAY off, so... Ya, I agree about the Emerald Tiles part, but the map seems pretty natural the way you put it. Question: Is the single white dot in the bottom-right corner of the rocks in the lake just part of the beginning of the next wave effect, or is that a tile error?
    9.7/10
    It would've been a ten, but I get nagged because of borders, so I guess they're important, and from what I see, this can't have a border... Sry
    Thanks for the rate. I usually have to struggle to get one that says more than "Awesome. 10/10" these days. lol

Hmm, I didn't even notice that little dot... It's just part of the tile that is used in Emerald. I guess in game, the waves around the rocks end at that point, but it looks kinda weird in advance map lol. The border is fine, because you can't see the bottom edge or the right edge in game, and the other two will be connected to other maps, so you don't need a border.

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Thanks for the rate. I usually have to struggle to get one that says more than "Awesome. 10/10" these days. lol

Hmm, I didn't even notice that little dot... It's just part of the tile that is used in Emerald. I guess in game, the waves around the rocks end at that point, but it looks kinda weird in advance map lol. The border is fine, because you can't see the bottom edge or the right edge in game, and the other two will be connected to other maps, so you don't need a border.
    Yah, I guess the Emerald Tiles are kinda freaky. But, in ALL, I mean ALL, my maps, the border would work for any place that could be seen, and I still get straight zeros(0s)... Question: Is this gonna be the map that provides this regions oxygen for the game, that's a LOT of trees... Lol

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Yah, I guess the Emerald Tiles are kinda freaky. But, in ALL, I mean ALL, my maps, the border would work for any place that could be seen, and I still get straight zeros(0s)... Question: Is this gonna be the map that provides this regions oxygen for the game, that's a LOT of trees... Lol
    Haha, that's nothing compared to the last two maps I made. Plus I didn't know about the grosser block tool back then, so I had to make like 1000 trees, tile by tile, for each map.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • @Tropical Sunlight.
    Well I think personally that this map is beautiful, I know from presonal experience that mapping caves are challenging, but you seem to have almost mastered it, It is very unsquare and very smexy. I can see How playable it is, for you can only enter/exit from a certain exit//entrance by crossing the water which implies that that part is for later in the game. Meaning that maybe, this map has potential to be recycled (used twice ingame). I love the map!
    ------
    9/10
    ------
    The only bad points i think you have in the map is that in the top right corner it seems a bit empty if you know what I mean.
    I look forward to seeing more smexy caves, and smexy tiles ofcourse.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • ---About the borders, there is a tree border surrounding this, every place you could see the border, would make sense, and where the rocks run off the level, there is either an impossibility to reach the sight area, or, it is connected to a map below it.
    ---About the water, I would really like to see the tile errors here, I know it's square, but I can't really make a circle with square tiles, and I can only think of two tile errors that, after half an hour of inspection, seemed minor, those tiles are the bottom corners.
    ---The stairs: I just noticed after reading your post, that there was a difference in the two stairs, a little shadow. I was planning on editing this (or just plain deleting it) anyways, so I'll keep the stair thing in mind.
    ---Once again, thank you for the review, I'll keep in mind that I have a problem with mountains from now on. I'll read any more tutorials I can find, and implement what I learn into the maps.

@simdu68, I can't see anywhere to leave the map but south...

EDIT: I'm adding a map of the Itrave (I-trave) forest where my Celebii Event Occurs.

Map Name: Itrave Forest

Comments: Like I said, this is the map for the Celebii Event in Wrath if Enigma. There is supposed to be a lot of open space here, because there are a bunch of things I will be putting into this map event-wise... Celebii would be in the top left-hand corner of the pond (bigger pond), 1 space in(down and right 1).

this map is not that bad, it's of course much better than your first or third map, but this map is too square, there is juste one rown of trees every side, it never looks natural when it's square........
    but as I told this map is not that bad.....

raiting:
    4.5/10

you need to upload you picture somewhere (for example imageshack, you can upload pics for free, me I got a photobucket account, it's better because I can have an album so I can repost my pics anytime ;P)
    then you must copry the link and when you post something click on the "insert image" icon and enter your link, then press ok and you map apears ;)

RSC ELiTE

Is busy... Mappin'
    Years
  • Reposting~
    Although you can rate the tiles but don't include the rating in the mapping rating. Hope you get it

Before I Start...

Those tiles are sexy awesome ITS OVER 9000 Bloody Amazing!

The map looks natural and well made, and has no pointless crap along the edges. The paths are realistic yet give the player room the breathe. I have seen some maps that have 1 tile paths and completely maze like which means the player instantly looks at it and facepalms, before blowing it up, but this map is simple and calm; meaning players wont have to spend 60 hours, kill a thousand pokemon or battle an unrealistic amount of "smashable rocks"

I want to sleep with this map... 10/10

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • you need to upload you picture somewhere (for example imageshack, you can upload pics for free, me I got a photobucket account, it's better because I can have an album so I can repost my pics anytime ;P)
    then you must copry the link and when you post something click on the "insert image" icon and enter your link, then press ok and you map apears ;)
    Ok. Thank you for the rating and the help with Picture uploading. Ima get an account on photobucket or imageshack or something. Do you have any suggestions about fixing Itrave Forest, like where to move some trees, and how to fix the lake or something in specifics?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back