• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Match Call

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In Emerald, there was a feature where you could call trainers. In these games, match calls were essential to being able to rematch gym leaders, but otherwise, it's a pretty boring (and annoying) feature, as incoming calls were NOT skippable, and you couldn't deny match call numbers like you could in G/S/C with the Pokegear.

Did you make use of the "match call" feature in Emerald?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • you can't deny calls in gsc, only hgss if i'm not mistaken. but yeah uh didn't care for match call. no one really says anything as substantial as they did in gsc i feel like? but i like that most trainers at least get registered so that you get more chances for rematches as opposed to the limited amount of people you can have in gsc. overall though, i preferred the trainers eyes feature in RS. didn't need to talk to any of them people tbh lmfao. just need to know if you wanna battle or not so i can kick your ass again.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Both Ruby and Sapphire had the same system but it was named Trainer's eyes. Rematching trainers is great, good for xp and also a few of the trainers had held items which were the only way of obtaining, such as Blackbelt Nob's machoke having a black belt. I tend to notice in my sapphire copy that I often just go around talking to trainers who can rematch and they're willing to rebattle, even if the trainer's eyes or match call says otherwise. I assume this is something which is working as intended and that potentially being within "eyesight" of rematchable trainers makes them more likely to want to battle again.

My only biggest gripe with Emerald's Match call system is that when you finally get around to rematching Gym leaders, their teams are very underleveled initially, it baffles me that after beating the elite four your team is going to be around level 50-60. but a lot of if not all of the gym leader rematches start at about level 30-40. To me this is nonsense and should be at around 60 to start pushing up to like 70-90 by the time the final rematch is done.

Back