• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mauville & New Mauville Discussion & Speculation thread

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Probably the best insight that could possibly be given on this. From the map, it's really difficult to tell what exactly that structure is; a wall, a new building, or what, but the artwork is a little more detailed and close-up, so it's easier to see what's going on. There's some obvious additions, and I don't know what they could entail. There was never a 'central' city in Hoenn, so they could be trying to convert Mauville into something like that. o:

I'm not sure if they will make Mauville the "central city". I feel that Rustboro and Lilicove cities share that role.
    Of course though Mauville's redesign could have something to do with it being a "crossroads" city as it leads to multiple routes.
    As I said in my earlier post I think Wattson is proably the reason. Also I mentioned it in the Hoenn map thread that the walls could be a reference to the castle in the city Mauville was based off, which was said to be impenetrable.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure Slateport or Lilycove fits the role of the central city. Maybe there is something new that will be placed in Mauville. Maybe they redesigned the whole city considering the Game Corner won't be back in this remake. I don't really know. But one things for sure, they are adding gates to the place :/

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Mauville could be this game's version of Castellia and Lumiose, as it's quite clear that none of the other cities have such drastic alterations.

Burritoburger

Shiny Hunter/Trader
    Years
  • Perhaps if it is a redesign it's a way of referencing how Wattson loves to experiment with his city (Volknor, and to some extent Elesa also did that by putting panels and having a whole new gym even though there was an old one she could've just remodeled respectably) (at least in the manga he did). Also chances are the Game Corner will be gone now, so they'll have to add something new to the city since that building made up a decent chuck of it.

Well if that's the case, then doesn't that mean that some period of time has passed since RSE? If it were in the exact same time period then it wouldn't make sense to drastically change it like that.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • It looks like transmission towers...

Perhaps Mauville supplies all of Hoenn's electricity?

Or maybe some new power plant, like the one in Kalos right outside North Lumiose.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Well if that's the case, then doesn't that mean that some period of time has passed since RSE? If it were in the exact same time period then it wouldn't make sense to drastically change it like that.
    Generally the accepted train of thought with remakes is that they become retroactively canon. So they can make just about any change they want as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else. Changing the town up shouldn't cause any problem in that department. And any problems that do arise can just be retconned in a later remake.
    So it's not really indicative of time passing in the RSE world.

Salzorrah

Years
  • The drastic change of Mauville is kinda reminiscent of the changes that happened in GS and HGSS. Like Viridian Woods for example. In GS, the trees were cut down, but in HGSS, they were perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the timeline whatsoever. Pokemon is weird that way haha xD

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Mauville is my favourite City in Hoenn too, I really hope that they don't over do it and redesign it so that it looks and feels completely different. I'd say the only change is those four pillars are connected to New Mauville underground and the City now has a wall surrounding it, after all it did have a sort if wooden fence in the originals.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Mauville is Hoenn's (early) hub city. It's in the center of all directions, and is close to the daycare, games corner, cycling road, trainer tower (Emerald), and all major routes. Mauville links to so many places. So a trainer spends a lot of their time there, and the case is, mauville was pretty small in RSE. It was my favourite area to hang around, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why. But the fact is, it's because Mauville is so central. I imagine it getting a makeover and extension somewhat like Goldenrod, in the style of Sunyshore City (more technological).

I'm completely cool with it getting a redesign, mainly because it was bland, with a twist of charm, before. Now I'd be excited to see it become more alive.

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    After seeing the new design, I'm thinking maaaybe the roles of New and "old" Mauville have been exchanged. MAybe the power plant is now on the surface and the city and stuff is underground

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • After seeing the new design, I'm thinking maaaybe the roles of New and "old" Mauville have been exchanged. MAybe the power plant is now on the surface and the city and stuff is underground
    That's only possible if you get Surf really early in game.

Unless the gym is located within new Mauville, then yes.

Salzorrah

Years
  • Now it makes me wonder where the gym is. I hope you can just take the middle tower down to New Mauville level and find that the gym is there haha XD Maybe it could be the antithesis of Lumiose considering Mauville and Lumiose are both the central hub cities, both are encountered early in the game, has Electric type Gyms, and hopefull have the gym in the middle wherein Lumiose has the leader battle at the top while Mauville's at the basement XD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Now it makes me wonder where the gym is. I hope you can just take the middle tower down to New Mauville level and find that the gym is there haha XD Maybe it could be the antithesis of Lumiose considering Mauville and Lumiose are both the central hub cities, both are encountered early in the game, has Electric type Gyms, and hopefull have the gym in the middle wherein Lumiose has the leader battle at the top while Mauville's at the basement XD
    Mauville may be a central city but it is greatly overshadowed by Rustboro, and Lilycove that are larger (their real life counterparts are too compared to it's counterpart) and have more important things in them (Devon for Rustboro, and the Master contest hall/ contest hall (emerald), and the Department store for Lilycove) so perhaps it's redesign is to give it something special. Especially considering the chances of the game corner returning which was the main thing to do in Mauville.

Maybe one tower can be the gym, and the other lead to New Mauville. The other two...well they could be extras, maybe for post game (Hey GF put Zekrom in one please...)

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    It seems like he finished New Mauville, but it also seems like ORAS is gonna take place at the same time as the originals… soo………… I dunno

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Yeah, what with the electrical towers I'm going to go with the theory that Mauville got a redesign and that's it. Maybe its also the power center of Hoenn as well, like mentioned above too.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I just don't get the logistics behind Mauville's redesign and no major redesign of any other city apparent as of yet.

Back