• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meet the PokeCommunity'ers #14: Kanzler (Televisor, Cyanide & Happiness, How LOTR Should Have Ended) [Daily Bloggity Entry #186]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    [css-div="background-color:#996666 ; border-style: solid; border-color: #000000"]
    hRPxKg5.png

Kanzler

"Meet the PokeCommunity'ers" is a series of the Daily Bloggity in which I have a one-on-one with specific members of PC in which we can get to know them more. All responses are in their own words, and questions were made on a general basis. If you would like to see a specific user in the next edition, comment below! This will be a weekly series appearing in the Daily Bloggity at 5 PM Eastern Time every Sunday.

Date: 12 November 2014
    Time: 2:17 PM ET
    Mood: Embracing my inner Ron Burgandy

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]When did you become a member of PokeCommunity and how did you come across it?[/css-div]My join date points to 2008 and I don't really remember much about those strange early days. I had just learned about romhacking via Whack-a-Hack, and googled Pokemon rom hacking and voila! I was at Pokecommunity. I downloaded Shinygold and was really impressed by a GSC hacker yomamathecableguy as well as Swampert Tools.

I leave PC for a couple years and return in 2011 to respond to a thread in, unsurprisingly, D&D about whether it's selfish to have children started, unsurprisingly, by our very own Shining Raichu Sodom. And then I leave again to come back in 2013 and was finally here to stay :P

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Gotta ask, because I'm probably not the only one who was wondering this: what is Whack-A-Hack?[/css-div]Whack-A-Hack is a Spanish-language website for Pokemon rom hacking. Not only was I introduced to rom hacking, but also to the use of Google translate to navigate foreign language websites! It's still up, except nowadays it's been Web 2.0-ified so not even Google translate can help me navigate it anymore :(

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Why did you end up leaving PC in 2011 and what made you come back in 2013?[/css-div]I was in a bad personal situation back in 2011 hanging out with a hater that wanted nothing (well nothing I could tell) but to stop me from doing things that made me happy. Then I broke away from the hater and then I realized no one should be stopping me from doing things I enjoy 

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]What is the significance or origin behind your username? Past usernames?[/css-div]I have a couple MMORPG characters by the name of Kanzler and it simply comes from the word for the German head of state, or Chancellor. I think it sounds pretty cool and you can shorten it to Kanz and stuff like that so it's convenient and all.

I used to be BlahISuck which was partially ironic but partially self-pity and nobody ever liked the name but I thought it seemed reasonably self-deprecating which is really good in D&D where things might get heated. I thought having a name like that would make me easier to get along with and assume a more neutral and balanced stance towards discussion.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]How do you think you are perceived overall by the community nowadays?[/css-div]I don't think I'm perceived much by the community, tbh. I'm not around all that often so I feel that I only leave impressions on people who already know me. Most of the time I'm posting in D&D and I see a lot of familiar faces. Overall I think I'm a respectable, if low-key member.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Which forum do you see yourself gravitating towards the most and why?[/css-div]Obviously D&D. I'm not as involved with Pokemon as I've used to, mostly because I've binge played the games to death within a year or so and that really cripples my long-term attraction to the games.

I've always been in love with D&D, and at certain times almost hate it. My vision for the place has always been for it to be a place where you can learn something new about the world at large – things like science, history, politics, philosophy, and things of that sort. I think it's best if it's modelled somewhat like a university tutorial: everybody's able to speak their minds and the focus isn't about who's right or wrong but that you get to share perspectives and develop them further. Ultimately you learn more because you're trying to understand an idea or issue in as many ways as possible instead of just convincing the next guy that you're right and he's wrong.

I also used to frequent Chit Chat & Polls but now I don't because I've made a pact with myself that I shouldn't spend so much time on PC to the detriment of my career and I guess I kind of emotionally insulate myself from my desire to get to know people better.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]I feel you on the "binge playing" of the Pokemon games and it ruins it for you, that's what happened with me in '09 when I opened up a trade center here. Ruined the games for me, that's what it did. That aside, what would you say was your favorite set of games to play/do you have a favorite region to play in?[/css-div]I loved the culture and music of Johto so HG/SS were my favourite games. I've been hooked to its music even before I could feel nostalgic about it. In fact, G/S/C are still pretty fun, probably even more than R/S/E. Actually, I've played the Hoenn region more than any other, so it's probably tied with Johto as my favourite region.

Daily Video - "Neon" by Televisor
    Spoiler:
    [css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Do you think it's possible to transform D&D into this envision you have for it? If so, how would you personally try to make that happen? [/css-div]Short answer: no. I think I've learned a lot from my stint modding about the limitations on the moderator's ability to contribute to community building, all of which are interconnected in some way which goes to show how difficult it is to truly transform the section.

Firstly, the subject matter. Topics in D&D, which include philosophy, current events, domestic and world politics, religion, morality, and social issues – in a word discussions of a public nature, tend to cause most people to shy away. This is especially true of PC where the userbase is very wide because it is more likely that a user would be interested in Pokemon, music, or video games than what is offered on D&D. In fact, D&D has a bit of a stigma rooted in the perception that it gets heated easily (I'll address this issue further below). I don't know how true that is, but I've heard over the years that it's the reason many people don't participate. Overall, I think the most basic obstacle to transforming D&D is the simple fact that most people aren't as interested in D&D topics as what else is offered on the forum at large.

Related to the issue of a less-accessible subject matter is the high level of discussion I'd like to see. I notice that the best reasoned posts are usually written by those with some level of university education, which again is not in the majority of the userbase. Moreover, a high level of discussion isn't only determined by one's education but also one's ongoing interest in a certain subject matter. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most people stick to their own area of expertise, although there's a few who post in pretty much all subjects. But that's a small minority and it gets boring to hear the same few voices discussing variations of a topic over and over. It's difficult to retain really knowledgeable users, and hence good contributors, because there aren't many people to talk to. To summarize: even though D&D might span a wide range of discussion topics, there are only a few users who are interested in or can discuss at a high level specific topics (excluding hot button social issues which I'll address further below) and that makes the quality of discussion I'm looking for difficult.

I don't have much respect for hot button social issues, because it's mostly excessively political without much real discussion. I feel that in these threads people tend to talk at each other than talk to each other, and you don't need to really think about the issue much to spout a popular opinion. As well, it's these threads in particular that "get heated" and that discourages a lot of potential users.

This leads me to a key contradiction in D&D that is evident even in its title – should Discussions and Debates focus more on discussion or debate? A lot of people get turned off by heated debate, and not only that, the language can get vitriolic which leads to mod action. But at the same time, some people like the idea of verbal sparring and for them it's that excitement that keeps them returning. Personally, I prefer a discussion where ideas are exchanged versus thrown at each other, and I accomplished this pretty well with my mod partner at the time, Scarf. As chill as we were, we might have been too moderate as moderators for those who want a more assertive style of discussion. I'm still not certain whether it's better for the section that D&D should focus more on discussion or debate.

Now, as negative as I've been for the past six hundred words, I'm still cautiously optimistic for D&D to improve. The most important thing for D&D to "work" is to 1) get people thinking and 2) have those thoughts posted – pretty much the same as any other section.

One factor which could be important is creativity. I'm sure there's a lot of untapped subject matter or ways of presenting it that could be more appealing. Just recently Dark Avenger made a thread about personal identity that I felt was very original and certainly got me thinking. I hope a discussion can be spun out of it in addition to just posting results to the poll.

Another thing that should be fixed is that worthy threads shouldn't be moved out of D&D, even if they could also belong elsewhere. For example, I've noticed that threads about popular culture's/video games'/technology's impact on society tend to be moved out of D&D to their specific subforums. This happened even under my watch and I think it was a mistake not to be more assertive about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with a thread being able to belong in both D&D and another subforum. But moving a thread simply because it's about culture/video games/tech deprives D&D of material that is genuinely worthy of a good discussion. Furthermore, it induces a chilling effect in which people come to the (false imo) understanding that threads about culture/video games/tech DON'T belong in D&D even though the discussion is about their social impact and this creates unnecessary constraints on what people feel is appropriate for D&D. That's my opinion.

The last thing I want to address (and there are many others) is timing. I suspect that D&D activity is dependent on the US presidential election cycle, and that heightened political interest in campaign season has a spillover effect on discussion on other topics. 2015-2016 would be a good opportunity for the D&D community to grow.

To conclude: even though there are a lot of obstacles to making D&D "work" effectively, it's certainly not impossible and there are multiple things to help make it better. I think D&D is fundamentally a good idea. But it suffers mostly due to its small size which makes it hard to sustain discussion beyond that of "social issues" which I perceive as the lowest common denominator. The challenge will be in growing D&D until it is able to sustain itself even if a couple regulars disappear every now and then.

So I suppose the long answer is yes, although it will not be caused by a few individuals nor will it be predictable when the transformation is occurring or has been complete.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]If you could make any improvement to the site, what would it be and why? If you can't think of anything, what would you like to stay consistent?[/css-div]Hmm, I haven't really involved myself with the site lately so I can't say, but I've heard that the new generation of mods are a lot more involved with their section and I'm really happy for that. I like the idea of mods being community leaders, with I suppose more emphasis on community than leadership. Not that a mod isn't a leader, but more so that he engages well with the topic and with people with similar interests – in a word: a community-builder. So it's good that this keeps up.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]If you could moderate any section which section would you choose and why? What would be the section you would least like to moderate?[/css-div]I don't think I would want to mod any section but D&D – I've modded it before and my opinion hasn't changed. It always delights me to see people exploring new ideas and venturing into discussing things that are unfamiliar. I also have an interest in moderating the discussion itself – literally in the sense of keeping the discussion about the ideas and trying to divert the attention away from posts (and posters!) that are, well, abrasive, to put it lightly. After all, we can't have a discussion if everybody's getting defensive and impolite, can we?

Least favourite? Probably PokeAni cuz I haven't watched it since Grade 6 and thus have the weakest relationship with that section. I'd be completely lost.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Who would you consider a role model for yourself, in real life and/or on PC?[/css-div]Role models? I don't believe in role models! I've always had a bit of an independent streak and never give people the credit they deserve. Scratch that – my good friend Denny Hamlin is a model for warmth and honesty. Also my girlfriend is also a model for good faith and discipline as well.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Congratulations on the girlfriend? How did you guys meet?[/css-div]Thanks! We met as colleagues working together on a research project. Then we went to Mexico and romance blossomed! (That's how I remember it.)

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]What is your favorite pokemon and why?[/css-div]I have four fave Pokemon that are all fire types: Charizard, Houndoom, Blaziken, and Arcanine. Charizard and Arcanine have always been classics, but Houndoom pretty much came out of nowhere when Gen 2 came out. I thought Blaziken had a wicked concept and typing and it was kickass in Gen 3 to boot.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]If you were granted a wish and could wish for anything - besides more wishes and more genies - what would you wish for and why?[/css-div]Right now? A couple more hours in the day since I was going to get stuff done but watched a movie instead.

Daily Comic - "Passive Aggresiveness" by Cyanide and Happiness
    Spoiler:
    [css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]More important question: was the movie any good?[/css-div]Yeah! It was pretty good – Think Like A Man.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]What is your favorite video game or series and why?[/css-div]Right now I'm pretty heavily invested in games by developer and publisher Paradox Interactive, specifically the latest in the Europa Universalis and Victoria series. They're basically historical simulator strategy games, and are the focus of what Paradox does (in addition to series like Magicka, for example). Paradox Interactive has games spanning history from the Middle Ages to WWII, so if you're into history and country-managing definitely check them out. I also like playing First Person Shooters, but mostly out of experiencing historical context than anything else.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]I've never heard of those games before. Are they similar in concept to the Civilization games, because that's the impression that I'm getting.[/css-div]Yeeeeees in a way. That's how I initially compared it too, since Civ was the closest thing I had for comparison. However, they're a lot more detailed oriented and less gamey with a lot of attention to accurate historical modelling. This means you don't have a grid system as in Civ, but each region is realistically modelled to a historical province or region. So for example Italy wouldn't be composed of several hexagons in the shape of a boot, but have regions like Venice and Rome that actually look like what Venice and Rome look like on a map. And you can't have infinite soldiers as long as you can pay for them, you can only recruit from a limited manpower reserve which is also geographically determined (you'd be able to hire more soldiers from New York than say, Nevada).

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"] Who is your favorite video game character and why?[/css-div](Gordon Freeman. He doesn't talk much.)

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Do you think that Half Life 3 is going to come out anytime soon?[/css-div]Sigh. I can wish, can't I? :P I still google for Half Life 3 every now and then.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]What would you say is your dream vacation?[/css-div]I think I'll pass on this one, requires way too much thinking. I'm not really a vacation person.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Why is that? (On the concept that you're not a vacation person.)[/css-div]There's so much that I can enjoy right here! I'm probably more likely to take up a video game/sport/interest in history/eat something new than travel.

Daily Video - "How LOTR Should Have Ended" by party247sometimes
    Spoiler:

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Who is your favorite artist/song?[/css-div]My favourite artist has been Televisor (I need to check if they've released anything lately). They make nu-disco. I like disco-related and dancey music in general.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Would you consider yourself a good dancer?[/css-div]Nooooooo not really I guess. I enjoy it, but I'm not better than the average person. At least I don't have to be drunk to dance? :D

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]What would you say is your favorite TV or cartoon to watch as a kid? [/css-div]I used to watch Pokemon, but I think the Digimon anime was better in terms of its plot. I don't remember too much about cartoons from my childhood though. I did latch on to binge-watching the Lord of the Rings and that consumed the later part of my childhood.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]If you're a fan of the Lord of the Rings series, what is your opinion on the new Hobbit movies that have been released in the last few years?[/css-div]The short answer is that they are good.

I recognize that PJ has done a lot to give the Hobbit the epic character that the Lord of the Rings so thoroughly embodied. People criticize him for turning away from the lighter tone of the book, but here's the deal.
    The movies are fun to watch. That's all that matters. The barrel sequence was one of the most exciting scenes I've seen in a long time. The movies might not have been what you had in mind, but as long as it's fun to watch, it passes the test.

One thing I do object to is the amount of CGI used and how, I don't know, it makes the graphics look cartoony? Perhaps the film has been edited so the colours are more vibrant, and I liked the more natural colouring of LOTR better. As well, the abandoned Dwarven Kingdom Under the Mountain was really sanitized, compared to the dankness of Khazad-dum in LOTR (although Khazad-dum is ancient and has been abandoned for a millennia actually that makes sense so it's reasonable that the kingdom under Erebor is so clean). Overall, the movie is significantly less gritty than LOTR to the point of seeming World of Warcrafty. But it's still a good movie to me because I enjoyed myself.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Outside of PokeCommunity, what are your favorite hobbies? What interests you?[/css-div]My favourite hobbies involve reading and thinking about politics, actual history, and alternate history. I don't really do anything with it, for example write articles, which is something I should really consider doing.

I'm learning ballroom dancing which is kind of cool. I used to work out but then studying over the summer got the better of me and now I weigh 20 pounds heavier since I stopped going to the gym.

Other than that, I school. It's not exactly a hobby but it's what I invest a lot of my time into.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Have you ever considered using your blog on PC to practice your writing? It's a little time consuming, yes, but I've found it extremely helpful in my writing growth, and plus it's putting it to a good use if you have fun doing it. Plus #2, you're a pretty interesting character so I strongly believe that people would actually be interested in what you have to write/talk about.[/css-div]You know what? That is a really good idea! I read a lot of history and international politics and I think it's about time I move on from just reading and develop my thoughts further in writing. Although I'm not too sure if people are interested in political reform in China or my struggles in understanding what the Holy Roman Empire was.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]What are you studying currently in school/what do you hope to do as an occupation?[/css-div]I double major in political science and biochemistry for my undergraduate degree, but I've applied to medical school and am working to become a doctor. If I do get in, a big question in my life will have been solved, that's for sure. I'm a person who likes structure and stability and I think work in medicine is something that I can be doing for the long term. There are other jobs that I could be comfortable with, but for me the pathway to becoming a doctor is most predictable in that there's a certain roadmap from now until I'm 30. Also I'll be paid comfortably by residency (which is like an apprenticeship) so I can think about the logistics of family early. I sound really old-fashioned, but I guess that is who I am.

[css-div="text-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000000"]Want to give a shoutout to a fellow PC'er?[/css-div]Raine. I dunno if you'll read this, but where the hell are you (on PC) nowadays? xP

What kind of questions do you have for Kanzler? Who would you like to see next? Comment below and I'll make it happen!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! And remember, rate each entry so I can know what you guys like and what to improve on! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- El Héroe Oscuro

Spoiler:

[/css-div]​

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    every time we talk results in some sort of argument therefore i dont actualy talk to you anymore but i do like reading what you have to say

Last edited:
    Back