• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meet the PokeCommunity'ers #5: Vanille Sky (BoA, Dorkly, Pointy Bits) [Daily Bloggity Entry #63]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years

[supporter]Vanille Sky[/supporter]

"Meet the PokeCommunity'ers" is a new series of the Daily Bloggity in which I have a one-on-one with specific members of PC in which we can get to know them more. All responses are in their own words, and questions were made on a general basis. If you would like to see a specific user in the next edition, comment below! This will be a weekly series appearing in the Daily Bloggity at 5 PM Eastern Time every Sunday.

Date: 27 April 2014
    Time: 9:59 AM ET
    Mood: Embracing my inner Ron Burgandy

When did you become a member of PokeCommunity and how did you come across it?

I joined January 24, 2014! Which is not too long ago, and people are always assuming that I've been here way longer than I actually have (⌒▽⌒ゞIt was somewhat a spur of the moment type deal where I had just recently purchased a 3DS, and accompanied that with Pokemon X and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. So from the beginning of January to near the end, I was in the Pokemon phase, doing everything Pokemon-related; searching for tips, looking up Pokedex entries, and browsing through Pokemon forums. I came across a few well-known Poke communities other than PC while Google searching so I could have very well ended up on a different forum! Thankfully I think I made the right choice because it's been a while since I've been active in a forum community, so it was nice to have such a friendly environment from the get-go ( ⌒o⌒)人(⌒-⌒ )

What is the significance or origin behind your username?

Funny story, sort of. Originally, I wanted my username to be 'Vanilla Sky' because vanilla's my favourite scent, and sky is one of my favourite words, so why not put them together? Then I came across the movie, and thought, "I don't really want this name anymore..." People have come to me thinking that my username is based off the movie of the same name, which I only knew about when I Googled. So then I ended up changing to 'Vanille,' based on one of the characters in the Final Fantasy XIII game, and being that Final Fantasy is my favourite video game series, I figured why not? I think it worked out pretty well in the end ⌒∇⌒

Do you think you'll ever change your username? Are there any other usernames that might interest you?

I actually am going to change my username once that 4 month mark comes around! I've been thinking about it shortly after joining actually; I have a tendency to frequently change my online aliases, and have a hard time stinking to just one. At this point, I think people know me by at least 3 different names: my real name, my username, and the online alias that I prefer to be known as, Raine. With that being said, I'd like to change my username to Raine to get rid of the confusion ・・。

Which forum do you see yourself gravitating towards the most and why?

To be honest, one of the main reasons why I searched for a Pokemon forum was because I wanted to become familiar with the Pokemon games, seeing as X was the very first in the franchise that I've played TДT PC seemed like an active forum with knowledgeable members who could help me, but as I started becoming an active member, I found myself gravitating away from the actual Pokemon-related forums into the more general ones like CCC and D&D. To answer that question, I would have to say CCC and D&D since I have little to no knowledge of anything Pokemon other than the creatures themselves so I don't want to intrude into other forums that I would potentially sound like an idiot in. CCC was one place I started acquainting myself with early on because the topics there are not so specific to the point where people are isolated from them; everyone, and anyone can post their response. At the same time, I preferred the more serious discussions in D&D because I rarely have those kinds of conversations with people in real life; I needed somewhere to dump my opinions in a more intellectual manner, and D&D served that purpose ・v

For the most part though, I basically see you everywhere around PC; you can say you're pretty well-rounded as a poster! Speaking of which, you've almost surmounted 2,000 posts since joining this January. What keeps you so active?

Haha, thanks! ´ ▽ ` There have been a couple people who have implied that I post mainly for the sake of posting, but that was never my intention to begin with, just to clarify. I think the main reason why I've been so active since joining is because of the community itself; there are many users who share the same interests as I do. Even if they don't, at least that gives us a foundation for discussing our differences. I'm always opening to conversations with members, and simply socializing •‿• I find myself to be more comfortable talking to people online, despite them being nearly faceless strangers at the beginning, but regardless, it's a nice environment for an introverted person like myself to be able to communicate with others.

Daily Music -"Eat You Up" by BoA
    Spoiler:
    Who would you say is your biggest inspiration in your life?

To be honest, I've never really set a certain individual (not even family members) on this pedestal where I metaphorically slap 'role model' or 'inspiration' on their forehead ˙꒳​˙ The closest people whom I would consider to be my inspirations would obviously be my parents. They are the most amazing, selfless people I know; they've given everything they've worked for to my sister, and myself. For heaven's sake, they voluntarily bought me a new car last year without me asking! ╥﹏╥ I have no idea what I did to deserve such wonderful parents, but I wouldn't change a single thing about them.

What is your favorite pokemon and why?

Pikachu! It will forever be my favourite Pokemon. Honestly speaking, I've never indulged into the Pokemon franchise other than watching a couple movies, series, and games here-and-there, but during my childhood, I loved watching the anime. Given that I probably didn't understand most of what was going on, the loyalty that Pikachu has for Ash was beyond adorable so I've always loved Pikachu for that.

You can never go wrong with Pikachu! But you're right about the connection that Pikachu has with Ash, it's pretty something! Considering it sounds like you're an avid series of the anime, do you have a favorite episode or arc of the series that stands out to you?

An episode that will forever be deeply ingrained into my brain one of the earliest ones where Ash finds an abandoned Charmander outside in the rain. That was absolutely heart breaking, but at the same time quite memorable; there have been a couple instances in the Pokemon anime where it has touched the heartstrings T⌓T

What is your favorite video game or series and why?

Final Fantasy, without a doubt is my favourite video game series. Sure, it hasn't had the best of years recently ever since X, but I still do enjoy playing them since I've been familiar with them since the PlayStation era; despite the complaints/negative responses from other gamers, I still respect the series, and have continued to appreciate what they're trying to do with each instalment. My reason for being particularly attached to this series is because, like any other game, it takes us, the players, outside of reality, and into this fantasy realm where things otherwise would not be possible in real life. But other than the games themselves, I appreciate the artworks, music, concepts, etc. that come along with them.

Is it wrong for me to say I've never played a Final Fantasy game except for Crisis Core for the PSP? For people like myself who don't have that much experience with the FF series, do you have any recommendations of which game to start with to hopefully hook them?

Personally, I loved Crisis Core, and thought it was one of the best games within the series! Aside from being a spin-off that answered questions in terms of events leading up to FFVII itself, it did a great job in developing Zack as the main protagonist, and I learned to love him by the end of the game. That ending though இ﹏இ Quite frankly, it's hard to give a solid answer as to which game within the franchise would be the one to interest people simply because I've only had experience with the FF games from VII onwards, but know nothing about anything earlier so others might have a different opinion. But based on the ones I have played, and comparing them to the general public's responses to the game, I think the top contender would be IX or X. I know that there have been mixed feelings about a few of the cast members of the latter, but I think IX has been well received by the audience; they're both pretty good games to start with "ヽ(´▽`)ノ"

Who is your favorite video game character and why?

Hm, that's a particularly difficult question to answer because I actually don't have an absolute favourite. Closest character I can think of would be Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII. I understand that a generous amount of people think he's overrated, which I can agree to, but regardless of what other people think about him as this quiet spoken, rarely emotional person, I can relate. Given that yes, it's a video game character, but there are characteristic traits within myself that I can see in him so I guess that's why I would consider him the closest person to being my favourite. Similarly, Aeris Gainsborough, from the same game, is also another character in the running simply because of what happened to her ;*△*; The role she played, and still plays, in regards to the remaining cast of VII is so influential, especially with Cloud.

Daily Comic - "The Daily Grind" by Corpse Run of Dorkly
    Spoiler:
    If you could have one wish and you could wish for anything, what would you wish for? And no, you can't wish for more wishes or another genie.

Haha, I wish I could ᵔ̴̶̤᷄ꇴ ॣᵔ̴̶̤᷅ But anyway, I would honestly wish that my parents could live a life without worries. One of the things my mom generally whines about is how they frequently mention how "broke" they are, but seriously, my sister and I snooped through their bank statement books (without them knowing), I have no idea what they're worried about. Regardless, I wished they could live a comfortable life where they could travel whenever they wanted to, give more money to charity, and just focus on living their lives without having to constantly worry about my sister, and my well beings. Not trying to sound conceited or anything, but I think they should give themselves more credit for raising us well enough to stand on our own feet.

Who is your favorite artist/song?

^^ゞEh, majority of people on PC (as far as I know) probably have no idea how into Korean music I am. But anyone could easily search this artist up, and she's been active in several countries other than South Korea: it's BoA! Interestingly enough, I was first actually introduced to her music through Inuyasha back in 2004 where she performed the ending son, and from there, I gradually migrated from Japanese pop to Korean pop, and these days 95% of my song library consists of the latter genre ´∀` I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan, by any means, but I do have a couple of her albums along with every song (even the ones sung in different languages) she's released on my computer. In terms of favourite song, I rotate through songs. Generally whenever a catchy song is recently released, I will listen to it on continuous loop for 500-1000 play counts, according to my iTunes.

I never would have guessed that! The only Korean artist that I can think of that comes to mind is PSY (obviously.) What did you think of that whole Gangnam Style craze when it came out, seeing as you seem to be an avid fan of Korean music? (and yes, I know this question is quite a stretch haha)

That phenomenon was, phenomenal. I never would have expected that song to be blown out as much as it did globally! It did give recognition to the whole Korean music movement though, which I appreciate whole-heartedly because I'd like people to know what Korean songs sound like, hopefully getting them into it ^▽^ Gangnam Style isn't my type of song that I would listen to on repeat, but apparently I was the minority, haha. People loved the song, the dance was interesting, but caught on relatively quickly making it this massive worldwide hit. I'm happy that more people are now aware of Korean music ˘◡˘

What would you say is your favorite TV or cartoon to watch as a kid?

Not entirely sure if people are familiar with the children's channel TreeHouse, but that basically defined my childhood in terms of TV watching〃▽〃Berenstain Bears was probably my favourite. I have no idea why, but it was; could have been because I could see the importance of each episode in terms of teaching children life lessons through these animations.

Oh my god I haven't heard of that in forever! I actually didn't know they had a TV show, but I remember reading the books all the time and I agree with the "life lessons" theme. Do you have a specific moment or episode of that show that really hit home with you? Or is it all just a haze considering it was probably so long ago since you watched it?

Yeah! It's been quite some time since watching them. Guilty pleasure of mine, up until probably around the age of 14 or 15, was to actually tune into that channel because I was so addicted to those childhood shows ^^ゞEverything's a blur to me now though, not only because of how long it's been, but also because I've never had that great of a memory regardless. I thought of those shows, particularly the Berenstain Bears, as a supplement to how my parents were raising me, and differentiating between what's right, and what's wrong.

Outside of PokeCommunity, what are your favorite hobbies? What interests you?

Sometimes I find it hard to distinguish between whether an activity is in my opinion a hobby, interest, or passion, but badminton is the first thing that comes to mind. I've been playing for 6+ years now, and I've had great success with my ladies' doubles partner back in high school that earned us spots in the provincials tournament so those were good memories. Even though I don't play competitively anymore, I do often play recreationally with friends because it not only gives me physical exercise, but also provides me with time to socialize with my friends, and the majority of them play so that's always nice to have once in a while, especially since we're usually in different cities for school ╥_╥ Another long-time hobby of mine would be web design/development, which I have recently used to change my career path from psychology to systems analyst (some sort of hybrid between computer programming, and business). Similar to badminton, I've been doing it for approximately 5-6 years now. That goes without saying that technology, in general, interests me; I've always been fascinated with computers from their hardware to creating programs.

Daily Video - "Pointy Bits (FF7 Parody) 18+" by animator OneyNG
    Spoiler:
    What made you give up badminton competitively?

Mainly because I've realized that once you get out of high school, there are a significant amount of people who will be better than you இ‸இ゚But within the last 8 months or so, I've been working on becoming fit enough to play singles badminton since I was mainly a doubles player before. I feel like I have the confidence to play at a competitive level again, and since there are a few tournaments throughout the year that I know of within my area, I'm considering playing competitively again next year o(≧∇≦o)

Considering you are really into web design, do you think there is anything that needs to be improved on a designer level here on PokeCommunity?

Being a web designer meanwhile also being slightly on the perfectionist-side, I can be quite nit-picky whenever it comes to designs made by others. Not to say that there's anything particularly wrong with how everything has been designed on PC thus far, but there are little elements here-and-there that do irk me from time-to-time. Nothing major though that would require an entire revamp. Also, I know that there are members who are far more knowledgeable within the web design field than I am ⊙…⊙ I'm the type of person to need everything a certain width; elements need to be aligned a certain way; even the slightest pixel that is off bothers me! It's basically borderline OCD, if you ask me, but like I said, I don't believe there's anything on PC that needs immediate attention/improvements. The ones I mentioned are just personal preferences/habits when it comes to designing.

Want to give a shoutout to a fellow PCer for their hard work on the site?

I'm not saying this simply to be nice or anything, but [supporter]elheroeoscuro[/supporter], thanks for giving me this opportunity ๑>ᴗ<๑ I was honestly surprised that you even asked because I don't consider myself to be one of the most interesting people anyone would meet; I'm pretty plain, and boring to be honest. Secondly, I'd like to give a shoutout to Dakota, and Cordelia for being the closest friends that I've made thus far. They were a couple of the first people who approached me, helped me become acquainted with everything, and are now good friends that I can go complaining/whining to whenever I have a problem ⌒▽⌒ Lastly, I think everyone (admin, moderators, and members) of PC should be given a shoutout because they're all wonderful people who have made my 3 month experience at PC a great one.

I think I may digressed from the initial question, but it goes without saying that everyone on PC have, in some way, contributed their efforts to keeping this place civilized, and one of the best maintained communities I have been a part of. So thank you!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:

Years
  • At the same time, I preferred the more serious discussions in D&D because I rarely have those kinds of conversations with people in real life; I needed somewhere to dump my opinions in a more intellectual manner, and D&D served that purpose ・v

+1

Back