• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft registers Microsoft-Sony.com and Sony-Microsoft.com

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • That's assuming that the domain will ever be used (lots of companies copy domains for 'just in case' purposes - even Nintendo with Pokemon game names which have not yet been used and may never will!) and if so they would use it for a game - maybe it would be only with other products instead of a gaming console? Idk, just seems a bit too vague to speculate upon with no other news of a merge or whatnot.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Be aware that Sony and Microsoft also work on electronics; if this is true, then it's probably just some snazzy camera or computer.

Any deal is probably at very early stages and it's very unlikely it'll go through.

If it does happen then Nintendo have lost the next generation.

Naaaaaah. They clearly have some sort of vice if they can sell so many 3DS's on launch.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    There's a strong rumour that the PS4 will utilise kinect-like technology. Could be something to do with that.
    Let's all hope not though eh?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My first thought is that this is just them registering a ton of domain names with their name in it so that other people don't do it and reap benefits from their trademarks/copyrights (...not that they wouldn't be doing the same thing?).

Otherwise, I think Luck is probably right. If there's some collaboration going on, it's likely in regards to something wholly unrelated to the gaming industry. It just doesn't make sense that they'd collab on anything. They obviously aren't going to shake hands and merge the next Xbox and Playstation, and I doubt Sony would share the Playstation Vita as a joint entrant in the handheld industry. I just can't see any possible reason for them to collaborate.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Be aware that Sony and Microsoft also work on electronics; if this is true, then it's probably just some snazzy camera or computer.
    And phones too.

There's a number of electronic devices this could be about outside of gaming, if it is in fact something. I think it's just future-proofing for whatever reason.

If it has to be something gaming related, I would guess a handheld, but Vita's already announced. Purely blue sky thinking though

Years

• Naaaaaah. They clearly have some sort of vice if they can sell so many 3DS's on launch.
    Nintendo hasn't aimed at the same "gamer" market as the other two since the Gamecube/GBA era. Neither Sony or Microsoft has much to gain by a merger.

It's more likely to be Windows Phone 7 on Sony Ericson phones than a combined gaming console. That said, I'm pretty sure that nothing will come of this. As mentioned by other posters above, companies do this all the time. They buy domain names not only to keep them for possible future use, but to stop other people from using them. Domain names are a market, where larger companies will often pay a lot of money to take an address from someone who bought it as an investment.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • It's probably just some sort of "someday maybe we can use this" things. I doubt there's anything in the works for it right now.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Basically, what Erica and Luck said. They could just be using the domain so that no one uses it for somehing else for future reference, and if they do collaborate, it could be for something entirely unrelated to the video game industry, since both companies make electronics other than video game consoles, such as phones, computers, etc, especially since the Vita has already been announced.

Back