• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Mirage Of Tales: The Ages Of Faith [ ALL PROLOGUES RELEASED ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hey there. c: This hack looks really interesting! I have only played a bit, but so far I love the changes and differences that seem to be unique to this hack. Sometimes I feel as if your sprites do not have enough contrast, though (they're too light around their outlines especially) but overall it's a cool experience. I do have some bugs to report, though. I don't know if they've been mentioned to you before, but in case they haven't, thought I'd share them with you here.

Spoiler:

I do plan to play more of Zhafira's as well as the other prologues! Thought I'd just mention the above while it was still fresh in my mind, haha.

Thanks so much! Do you mean the sprites at the beginning screen or in general? I definitely appreciate the spriting feedback as I don't think I'm that good and could always be improving, I think the light-outlines situation stems from having "never use black, it's too harsh!!!" drummed into me by my Art teacher at school hahahaha

Those bugs got reported already :) the ow changing thing isn't Avaras fault so she can't fix it yet. :P

What I want to know is when she is going to quit making this game in favor of the first Mirage Of Tales!!! More people would want to see that than this game tbh

I switch between working on both depending on how I feel, so progress is happening slowly =P

I really l liked the look of your older hack though I did not get to play it but this oh boy I am loving the whole medieval theme and lack of tech, looking forward to the future of this hack.

Edit: ok now I've played through them and I cant seem to get past the chapter one screen. So I've played through each game and when I hit the screen saying chapter one and then I can't pass that screen, I can however bring up the start menu so it hasn't crashed.

The C1 screen signifies the end of the prologue! Only the prologues are available at the moment; I only released them so people could vote on which character should get the first beta (as I find it really difficult to work on them all at once and it would probably never get done lol)

I decided to stop by when I saw my name in the credits. ;)

This looks amazing. Really excited for this.

And it always will be! Thanks mate =)

New sprites:

p2C1Y19.png
LM3qWCE.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 13, 2016
I keep trying to play it, and I make sure to patch it to a clean ROM, but instead it gives me a glitched out FireRed intro :(

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
I keep trying to play it, and I make sure to patch it to a clean ROM, but instead it gives me a glitched out FireRed intro :(

Make sure you're using the correct FireRed Rom, as some of them have already been modified to support hacks (even though they're technically "clean") or they're one update (1.1) above the hack's (1.0) or vice-versa.
Download both the american version (U) 1.0 and 1.1 then try to see which one works the best for you.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
when i play any prologue i get a chapter screen and then nothing happens after even if i press any button.what do i do now

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
im playing evandors prologue on my boy on my phone but i cant proceed from the screen where its written chapter 1 izantine the arena. plz help

Years
im playing evandors prologue on my boy on my phone but i cant proceed from the screen where its written chapter 1 izantine the arena. plz help

the current beta ends after prologue so you can't proceed further than that atm.

by the way, i probably forgot to post here before. the hack seems promising but i like the 1st mot better. and what happened to the 4th hero of this hack? did you abandon him?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
the current beta ends after prologue so you can't proceed further than that atm.

by the way, i probably forgot to post here before. the hack seems promising but i like the 1st mot better. and what happened to the 4th hero of this hack? did you abandon him?

Thanks! Yes I removed Anders' story because it just didn't fit in well with the rest of the theme of the hack really (one character in a completely different snowy region vs three residing in the same desert region). I haven't 100% abandoned him forever though, I might use him for something else one day =)
I will add a fourth (male) character to play as at some point, I just can't decide who it should be yet =P for now my priority is fixing the OW issues I have since (understandably) your sprite changing all the time is something people really can't get along with lol

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 26, 2021
The different routes seem interesting so far, but I think Kala's and Zhafira's were much longer and better than Evandor's. If I had to choose which I like best, Zhafira's tale would be first and Evandor's last. It just seemed so short and nothing seems to have happened. I hope it will storywise get on par with the other two.
I like the idea of a medieval setting since I once thought about something like that in a ROM-Hack too.

While playing the prologues I encountered a few bugs or things that bug me (I think those haven't been mentioned before, but I didn't read the sixth page, so maybe they were stated there already):

Spoiler:

I hope this massive amount of things doesn't demotivate you or something like that. I just want to be helpful ^^
I wish you good luck with this hack and hope you will manage it to do MoT and this one simultaneously!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Are the download files only designed to play the cutscenes, or is one supposed to be able to play them also?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 29, 2016
KALA is stuck at chapter 1 screen, and EVANDOR can't do anything after talking to his squire buddy. I've tried patching multiple FR Roms

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
The different routes seem interesting so far, but I think Kala's and Zhafira's were much longer and better than Evandor's. If I had to choose which I like best, Zhafira's tale would be first and Evandor's last. It just seemed so short and nothing seems to have happened. I hope it will storywise get on par with the other two.
I like the idea of a medieval setting since I once thought about something like that in a ROM-Hack too.

While playing the prologues I encountered a few bugs or things that bug me (I think those haven't been mentioned before, but I didn't read the sixth page, so maybe they were stated there already):

Spoiler:

I hope this massive amount of things doesn't demotivate you or something like that. I just want to be helpful ^^
I wish you good luck with this hack and hope you will manage it to do MoT and this one simultaneously!

Thanks so much for all your help! Some of those bugs have been mentioned already but I hadn't heard of some of those before, so I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know, I'll get around to uploading the prologue bug fixes soon. I've just switched to nightshift in my new job and I'm finding it pretty hard to get used to!

As for the Kabuto bag-thing, it isn't that simple to just disable the start menu temporarily; or I would have done it, lol. I wish it was! =( I did attempt to have a script that would detect if you pressed start on each walkable tile in the map to try and avoid this, but all it did was make the game lag and made movements look strange. So sadly that's something I'm not able to come up with a fix for at the present time =(

I know what you mean about Evandor's prologue - for the exact reason you mentioned I was surprised he was the most popular character lol. I guess it seems like there's nothing much happening, but what I was mainly trying to do with it was put everything in place to set up the storyline for the next chain of events and to introduce you to important characters. I wanted it to seem like Evandor and his family had a relatively nice care-free life before the war to come. Also, there are a few crucial choices included there that will affect gameplay later - such as whether you choose to make him favour Leon above Helen or vice versa. =)

Are the download files only designed to play the cutscenes, or is one supposed to be able to play them also?

Yep, you can play them up until the Chapter 1 screen! I'm going to release updated prologue patches to replace the ones in the main thread as they are very outdated now, I just can't seem to find the time right now haha.

KALA is stuck at chapter 1 screen, and EVANDOR can't do anything after talking to his squire buddy. I've tried patching multiple FR Roms

As stated in the main thread and a few posts above, the demos stop at Chapter 1 as they only contain the prologues; that's why you can't get past the C1 screen =)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 19, 2017
How can I download the links. Its an '.ips' file that wont play on my OpenEmu gameboy emulator

Years
How can I download the links. Its an '.ips' file that wont play on my OpenEmu gameboy emulator
you need a clean fire red (U) rom and the "Lunar IPS". open lunar ips > patch the ips file to the fire red rom > done. then play the fire red rom on your emulator.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been so inactive. Work is getting in the way of life, as we all know it does =P Since hitting a lot of brick walls in the development for this game, I've been thinking a lot about its future.
Rom hacking is really fun for me but the fact that it has so many limitations for what I want to do is extremely annoying - I am kind of considering moving to RMXP for this exact reason - not having to worry about space just sounds amazing haha. Although, I know this would mean a lot of you guys wouldn't be able to play (those with mobile devices/macs.)
My other alternative would be to make AoF a series on its own, which could work as it's a lot more linear than MoT anyway. This is due to the fact that there just isn't enough space in the rom for everything that I want to accomplish and the various limitations. There would need to be one game for each character, which I wouldn't mind doing, though it'd take a lot longer. Let me know your thoughts on either option!

Years
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been so inactive. Work is getting in the way of life, as we all know it does =P Since hitting a lot of brick walls in the development for this game, I've been thinking a lot about its future.
Rom hacking is really fun for me but the fact that it has so many limitations for what I want to do is extremely annoying - I am kind of considering moving to RMXP for this exact reason - not having to worry about space just sounds amazing haha. Although, I know this would mean a lot of you guys wouldn't be able to play (those with mobile devices/macs.)
My other alternative would be to make AoF a series on its own, which could work as it's a lot more linear than MoT anyway. This is due to the fact that there just isn't enough space in the rom for everything that I want to accomplish and the various limitations. There would need to be one game for each character, which I wouldn't mind doing, though it'd take a lot longer. Let me know your thoughts on either option!

I'm fine with moving this to RMXP, but I'm biased as I'm not playing on a Mac.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
What is RMXP? :p

Long story short, it's an engine for making games from scratch, so switching would mean the game was its own standalone .exe file and not a rom hack - the downside is that only Windows computers can run them. =/

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I find it hard to believe you could ever run out of space if you're using it efficiently. Have you tried expanding the ROM to 32mb? That's more than enough for anyone.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I find it hard to believe you could ever run out of space if you're using it efficiently. Have you tried expanding the ROM to 32mb? That's more than enough for anyone.

It's not just rom space as such, I'm talking about things such a the limitations of a certain number of maps, player backsprites, amount of songs, tilesets, palettes, amount of blocks in a tileset, OWs (I am aware that OWs can be expanded and I have tried it but although it worked it also caused more problems which I do not know how to fix, making it more trouble than it's worth). Engine limitations is more what I mean I guess haha. Also the fact that for the mechanics I wanted in this game, they are such a drag to maintain/implement/some don't even work properly (i.e, the player's OW not changing properly depending on character), but RMXP/Essentials has the capacity for them already working.

Also, if I really wanted to make my original idea into a reality, the outcome would be either 1 huge RMXP game or like 6 seperate rom hacks. The latter of which sounds the opposite of realistic lmao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back