• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
  • Scary Missingno.

Did you ever get scared of Missingno.?

This sounds a bit silly, but I always find him a bit scary. The reason being is that when you play the game, and really get into it, the characters seem real, they seem human. You think that these people are really talking to you. Even if you don't, it's nice to think that maybe GameFreak is talking to you.

But when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of it, it isn't human at all. It's all code, just telling Person19840324 to say "Hi! Did you know Pokemon can evolve through trade?"

I just find it sad and scary to think that it's all code. You get so into the game, you expect it to be real.

Anyways, did anybody else ever get scared of Missingno., and if so why?

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    No, it's not treally that scary.

THIS is a scary video game character:

Missingno

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • No need to get mad at me. I'm just describing my feelings of it.

BTW Unagi is not that scary, or hard to beat...

No one's getting mad. And, to me at least, Unagi was totally awesome. I remember how foreboding it seemed when I first played Mario 64, and how you'd get a little thrill every time it drew too close to Mario. But, yes, I oftentimes find myself getting way too involved into videogames, to the point that I accidentally refer to one of my friends named Brandon as Brendan. It's more fun to live in that artificial reality, however, regardless of what other say.

ty76hj

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2013
    missingno. is yoshi
    put the male over the
    female and it a yoshi sprite

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Here is a story I made about the origins of Missingno.
    The Orgin of Missingno.
    Missingno. was originaly the Pokegod of cloning, Dupflingo, the flamingo pokemon.
    One day, it had enough of it's low rank, even though it was the also the leader of the 3 legendary birds, and gathered several pokemon to rebel with him
    against the other Pokegods. They lost, and as a punishment, the other Pokegods turned him
    and the other rebelers into glithces and Lugia gained the rank of the Legendary birds leader. The other glitches fled all over Kanto with a few
    going to Johto, three to Hoenn, and a few to Sinnoh. Dupflingo claimed Cinnabar Isalnd.
    At this time it was the year 300000 B.C. Dupfling felt he was no longer a pokemon and
    that he was missing so he named himself "Missingno.". After a while, Missingno. got
    lonely so he cloned himself and named his clone "'M", but at that time Cinnabar was
    inhabeted by Kangaskhan, Ponyta, ect. so one of the Kangaskhan got mixed in while cloning
    and it became 'M's evolutions. 'M felt mad at the pokemon of Cinnabar for some reason
    so he cloned himself and Missingno thousands of times and ran out the pokemon. The Heatran
    of Cinnabar's volcano got mad at 'M and he made the volcano erupt. causing all of the
    trees and plants to burn. Cinnabar became a barren island that could not support life
    anymore. Missingno got mad at 'M so he ordered EVERYONE underwater. Eventually
    Missingno got board because of the barren island so he created another relm and
    tryed to make it look like the Pokegod world. It worked but it turned glitchy
    so Missingno named it "Glitch City". He then got the idea to move all of the clones other
    than him and the original 'M to Glitch City untill they found use for them. They stayed
    underwater for years until they saw humans coming to the island in 1386 A.D. Missingno.
    worried that they would be discovered. As the years went on, human technologay improved.
    Thats when he dicoverd they work working on cloning Mew from its DNA. Missingno
    used to be friends with Mew when he was still a god because Mew was also a lesser god.
    So Missingno got mad at the humans because they were taking his cloning job, AND
    thay were doing it to his old friend. So he interfered with the cloning adding different
    mutations to make Mewtwo agressive. 1 year after the building was abandoned, he saw a
    10 year old kid in a red wardrobe riding on a Pidgeoto comming from the direction of
    Viridian City. He landed and saw the kid get on a Lapras and surfed right above him.
    He had the perfect chance so he went to Glitch City and took a Misingno. clone. The
    clone battled the child first using sky attack then watergun. The clone slowly
    weakend and got captured. The captured MissingNo. clone had a little fun and hacked
    into his Hall of Fame data and corrupted it. Missingno. then brought out and 'M clone
    and the child defeated it causing a clone trigger to go off duplicating the kids items.
    This hapened many times during the next year. Then he stopped coming. The kid was the
    only source of Missingno's entertainment and he grew lonely again, even with 'M. He
    went on an outrage which angered the Cinnabar Heatran again causing him to erupt
    the volcano. Only the pokemon center survived. Missingno and the other glitches went
    into a deep sleep and Glitch City was destroyed...
    What do ya think? :D

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Our most advanced hackers have already found an intelligent answer to why does Missingno. exist. He was just a filler for the 256 possible solutions, and Nintendo knew of him, but thought they got rid of him. Silly Game Freak forgot all the right-side land (but, HOW?)

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
  • Here is a story I made about the origins of Missingno.
    The Orgin of Missingno.
    Missingno. was originaly the Pokegod of cloning, Dupflingo, the flamingo pokemon.
    One day, it had enough of it's low rank, even though it was the also the leader of the 3 legendary birds, and gathered several pokemon to rebel with him
    against the other Pokegods. They lost, and as a punishment, the other Pokegods turned him
    and the other rebelers into glithces and Lugia gained the rank of the Legendary birds leader. The other glitches fled all over Kanto with a few
    going to Johto, three to Hoenn, and a few to Sinnoh. Dupflingo claimed Cinnabar Isalnd.
    At this time it was the year 300000 B.C. Dupfling felt he was no longer a pokemon and
    that he was missing so he named himself "Missingno.". After a while, Missingno. got
    lonely so he cloned himself and named his clone "'M", but at that time Cinnabar was
    inhabeted by Kangaskhan, Ponyta, ect. so one of the Kangaskhan got mixed in while cloning
    and it became 'M's evolutions. 'M felt mad at the pokemon of Cinnabar for some reason
    so he cloned himself and Missingno thousands of times and ran out the pokemon. The Heatran
    of Cinnabar's volcano got mad at 'M and he made the volcano erupt. causing all of the
    trees and plants to burn. Cinnabar became a barren island that could not support life
    anymore. Missingno got mad at 'M so he ordered EVERYONE underwater. Eventually
    Missingno got board because of the barren island so he created another relm and
    tryed to make it look like the Pokegod world. It worked but it turned glitchy
    so Missingno named it "Glitch City". He then got the idea to move all of the clones other
    than him and the original 'M to Glitch City untill they found use for them. They stayed
    underwater for years until they saw humans coming to the island in 1386 A.D. Missingno.
    worried that they would be discovered. As the years went on, human technologay improved.
    Thats when he dicoverd they work working on cloning Mew from its DNA. Missingno
    used to be friends with Mew when he was still a god because Mew was also a lesser god.
    So Missingno got mad at the humans because they were taking his cloning job, AND
    thay were doing it to his old friend. So he interfered with the cloning adding different
    mutations to make Mewtwo agressive. 1 year after the building was abandoned, he saw a
    10 year old kid in a red wardrobe riding on a Pidgeoto comming from the direction of
    Viridian City. He landed and saw the kid get on a Lapras and surfed right above him.
    He had the perfect chance so he went to Glitch City and took a Misingno. clone. The
    clone battled the child first using sky attack then watergun. The clone slowly
    weakend and got captured. The captured MissingNo. clone had a little fun and hacked
    into his Hall of Fame data and corrupted it. Missingno. then brought out and 'M clone
    and the child defeated it causing a clone trigger to go off duplicating the kids items.
    This hapened many times during the next year. Then he stopped coming. The kid was the
    only source of Missingno's entertainment and he grew lonely again, even with 'M. He
    went on an outrage which angered the Cinnabar Heatran again causing him to erupt
    the volcano. Only the pokemon center survived. Missingno and the other glitches went
    into a deep sleep and Glitch City was destroyed...
    What do ya think? :D

I've always liked to think of Missingno as some sort of ungodly, primordial force from a bygone era, perhaps residents of the Distortion Realm.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    [sarcasm]Yes, Missingno. came from a universe where there is only 1 living being, and it can only be obtained in HGSS. Big whoop.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, are we gone again? We need a report to feed upon for about 3 months. Something from HGSS maybe?

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Okay, I will try to clear up some misconceptions I have noticed in this thread.
    Missingno. is not index 000, 'M is. 'M evolves into Kanghaskhan not Missingo.
    Missingno. is a very specific group of several pokemon in the first generation games.
    Any glitch pokemon that turn up in games after the first generation should not be referred to as Missingno. or Missingnos and neither should first generation glitch pokemon that are different to missingno. such as .4, LM4, 'M, A, a etc.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Our most advanced hackers have already found an intelligent answer to why does Missingno. exist. He was just a filler for the 256 possible solutions, and Nintendo knew of him, but thought they got rid of him. Silly Game Freak forgot all the right-side land (but, HOW?)

They didn't exactly try to get rid of it. It's just what happens when you try to read (certain) junk data. It's impossible to get rid of it, they just wanted it to be impossible to get it without hacking ('cos who really cares what happens with hacking).

You could imagine it as 200 files sitting on your computer named file001.ext, file002.ext, etc. But file152.ext (not really that number, but just work with me here) is actually a sound file (it's actually not, but just for example), not a Pokemon. When you open it with your 'Pokemon Reader' (as opposed to your 'Sound Reader') it comes out as a jumbled mess, a.k.a. MissingNo.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • ^^^^^

That has to be the best, simplest, and easiest to understand description of Missingno. I've ever heard. Bravo. *Claps hands* bravo indeed. I honestly get confused sometimes hearing guys describe why Missingno. exists (I mean I get the general idea though) and this is a perfect example. But instead of a sound file, Missingno. is your name, correct? It changes based off of the name of your trainer, because it is situated at an information dump. What always surprised me was how they took the time to translate him(from Japanese words to Missingno.)!!

I mentioned this earlier, but Missingno. sorta scares me. I know that sound silly, but hear me out...

When you're playing a Pokemon game you become so sucked into this incredible fun and amazing world, that you almost believe this is happening. It seems so human, so real. But then when you see Missingno. for the first time you get a sad epiphany. Prof. Oak and all the other characters who "talk" to you, are nothing more or less than numbers and digits. It becomes sadly fake. You realize that it is nothing more than a facade, and Missingno. changes it to a happy world of magical monsters, to a digital land of 1's and 0's.

But yeah...

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Not quite how it works. Each slot can hold pokemon data, move data, item data and character data. For example Hexadecimal slot 89/Decimal slot 137 holds move data for Glare, no item data and character data for J. The game's creators for whatever reason decided to set this placeholder "Missingno." into the pokemon data part of slots which held data for things but didn't contain anything in their pokemon data parts.
    The wild pokemon data on the cinnabar route comes from the game reading the 2nd, 4th and, 6th characters in your name. So using the example from before if J is your 2nd, 4th or 6th character the pokemon data will be a Missingno.
    Confusing I know, hope you understand.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Er... no, Game Freak just forgot to program the east coast of land and they used your name as a place to see wild Pokemon while the OLD MAN was catching a Weedle. Any place that should have Pokemon, but doesn't have any set Pokemon should have this error.

Anyway, the Cinnabar Route doesn't read your name as Wild Pokemon, the entire game does until you enter an area with set Pokemon inserted.

It's an improvement and still a theory, but it makes people understand this better.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Your name is stored in the same place that they store the "last area visited" pokemon data which is where the coast of Cinnabar draws it's wild pokemon from technically. Everything in my post was correct I just didn't explain that which I guess I should have.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Don't forget to use Repel when goingto Seafoam Island and avoid every trainer. The east coast there has Missingno. too! (The exact same one, actually)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back