• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mistaken evolutions

Crystal Glaceon

Devious
Years
  • I thought that Gorebyss was the evolution of Luvdisc as they are both pink and have a similar snout plus are both water types. Two generations later I expected Alomomola to be Luvdisc's evolution...so most of my mistakes revolve around that little pink heart shaped fish...

Same. I remember grinding that thing and trying to get its affection up but...nothing!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    I can't be the only person who though Emolga was an evolution of Pachirisu.

OMG me too haha.

Another one for me was Sudowoodo into Trevenant it just seemed to fit in my mind. Even though one looked happy and the other just looked dark it still would have been neat.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I got fooled by the Luvdisc -> Alomomola thing, too. I wish they made Alo a Mega Luvdisc. That'd be cool, in my opinion.

I think at one point, I thought Houndoom was an alternate evolution to Growlithe. Like, evolve via happiness at night for a Houndoom.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    OMG me too haha.

Another one for me was Sudowoodo into Trevenant it just seemed to fit in my mind. Even though one looked happy and the other just looked dark it still would have been neat.

Well Sudowoodo does appear in Horde battles with Trevenant in the Winding Woods. I like to think that Sudowoodo actually think it's tricking people into thinking it's a Trevenant. 'If I stand nears those grass type trees, then maybe people will think I'm one of them and won't squirt me with water' :t185:

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    Well Sudowoodo does appear in Horde battles with Trevenant in the Winding Woods. I like to think that Sudowoodo actually think it's tricking people into thinking it's a Trevenant. 'If I stand nears those grass type trees, then maybe people will think I'm one of them and won't squirt me with water' :t185:

That's a good way to look at it :) When I got my first pokemon game and was getting into it I know I also made the mistake of think Mew evolved into Mewtwo. Oh how silly I felt after finding out the truth.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    As a kid, I seriously thought that Lunatone and Solrock could evolve if I gave them a Moon Stone and Sun Stone respectively. I remember playing Sapphire, I had a Moon Stone and I went to Meteor Falls to catch a Lunatone just so I could evolve it. Of course my hopes were crushed when I read it couldn't.

Oh and I thought Remoraid evolved into Mantine because in one of Mantine's official art, Remoraid was on its wing.

This reminds me how I thought Eevee evolved into Espeon with a sun stone and Umbreon with a moon stone. To this day I still think that's how it should of been done.

And about the mantine thing. I thought if you caught a mantine maybe you would automatically get a remoraid because of it's sprite art!!! Back when I didn't know where to find remoraid in gsc I would catch a mantine and surf around in hopes it would attract them looooooool

(I just edited this so many times sorry tehehe)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    This reminds me how I thought Eevee evolved into Espeon with a sun stone and Umbreon with a moon stone. To this day I still think that's how it should of been done.

And about the mantine thing. I thought if you caught a mantine maybe you would automatically get a remoraid because of it's sprite art!!! Back when I didn't know where to find remoraid in gsc I would catch a mantine and surf around in hopes it would attract them looooooool

(I just edited this so many times sorry tehehe)

Actually that's how Eevee evolves in Umbreon and Espeon in Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. One of the only times that happens.

Last edited:

maxeneize

fire master
    Years
  • I watched the anime before playing any game, and after watching Ash battling Brock I thought that Onix was in Geodude family line.

Also, when I played Emerald for the first time, I believed that Swalot was related to Grimer and Muk in some way.

Years
  • The Pikablu thing was one for me.
    I also thought Mega Charizard X was only for shiny Charizard. (It was before the game came out or anything...)

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • i was on the almoaoaomaomaoalalala/luvdisc and buffo/tauros train too, but that was speccing before the game count so i wont count that.
    my theory to that is, anyway, that they originally planned Gen5 to have crossgen evolutions to other Pokemon, but scrapped that idea later - buffo and alaomaomamaoomsla were two pokemon that were meant to be evos for tauros and ludisc, but when they scrapped the idea they decided to keep them in for whatever reasons.
    that's what i believe anyway

ANYWAY

as for actual goofs post-release for me.
    Back when I played crystal, I thought that Miltank evolved into Magby (coz they were next to each other in the pokedex?? idk why i thought that when mil comes after mag LOL but w/e)
    i have distinct memories of the 8 year old me (or how ever old i was) spending a lot of weekends on my bed levelling up my miltank hoping it would evolve into a Magby...

SPOILER
    (it never did)

Years
  • When I first saw Slaking in Ruby, for some reason I thought it was an evolution of Slowking, or some other king Pokémon present. xP Boy was I mistaken.

Years
  • Because of typing and pokedex placement, back when I was first getting into pokemon in the Stadium days I thought that Fardetch'd was an evolutionary relative of doduo and dodrio. I'm glad that's not the case.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I'll admit, I honestly thought that the first time I saw Sylveon I thought that it's the evolution to Victini. While I was aware that Legendaries don't evolve, the fact that they look similar is kind of distracting. It only took me until the next minute to realise that Sylveon is actually an evolution to Eevee.

Back