• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modern Queen of Pop?

Years
  • So some people have been saying either Lady Gaga or Britney Spears will take over Madonna as the current Queen of Pop in modern-day media. Who do you think should deserve or might (as in, have a high chance) of becoming the new Queen of Pop?

I'm guessing maybe Britney Spears as she's quite alike to Madonna. Also, I don't really like Lady Gaga that much. :>

Post away!~

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Lady Gaga, definitely. Despite the intense amount of controversy she creates, she has a following so overwhelmingly large that it makes Britney fans look like the Mickey Mouse Club. Besides, she's Lady Freakin' Gaga.

Britney doesn't really do much these days anyway, her songs don't generate much talk and most of us still have trouble getting the image out of our minds of her bald and beating up a car.

Years
  • Lady Gaga certainly has a Sarah Palin-esque quality about her, that is, she attracts attention for everything she does even if it's not really important, newsworthy, or interesting to most people. She has the most media attention. That makes her the the top pop star at the moment. Because what else can you objectively base it on?

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Lady Gaga. She has that kind of Madonna feel about her, especially in her song "Born this way", It reminded me of Madonna. I also find Gaga to be creative and very unique with how she expresses herself, so I think she deserves to be be the "Modern Queen of Pop" more than Britney Spears does.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would say Britney Spears (don't kill me Gaga fans).

Lady Gaga's been popular for 3 years. Britney's been around over a decade, and there's still no one who doesn't know her name. Her latest album still had songs reaching number 1 on the charts. Part of being a queen is that you have to have lasting value, songs that are wildly popular year after year. One of the big reasons Madonna is so huge was that she shocked people and yet made great music for over 25 years. When you're in your 20s, it's easy to be popular (relatively). Not so easy in your 30s or 40s.

But then again, what do I know, I already dislike Lady Gaga for multiple reasons. xD;

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2015
    I'd say Britney since she's been around longer, but Gaga can sing, writes her own music, and is just a walking piece of art.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I don't really care for either of them. (Although I did secretly have a listen to Lady Gaga's new album, it did make me feel a bit gay though) But I would have to say Lady Gaga. Everything the woman does creates attention. All her songs have millions of views on Youtube, a lot of the songs that were released as singles have HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of views on Youtube.
    This woman could make a one song album of her farting, and guaranteed thousands of people would still buy it.
    It's just insane the amount of popularity this woman has, especially for a woman who said early in her career that she didn't really want fame or attention, she was just in it for the music.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I don't really care for either of them. (Although I did secretly have a listen to Lady Gaga's new album, it did make me feel a bit gay though) But I would have to say Lady Gaga. Everything the woman does creates attention. All her songs have millions of views on Youtube, a lot of the songs that were released as singles have HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of views on Youtube.
    This woman could make a one song album of her farting, and guaranteed thousands of people would still buy it.
    It's just insane the amount of popularity this woman has, especially for a woman who said early in her career that she didn't really want fame or attention, she was just in it for the music.
    She sure did a 360 to that attitude by starting to wear meat dresses

Novalis

Hisorian
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    I can see either one being the Modern Queen. The fanbase that they have managed to get is huge, and only growing.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Beyonce

Nobody can ever top what Madonna did. Everything the pop stars are doing today are just doing what Madonna inspired them to do.

I think we're a long way off from having someone that deserves that title, but Gaga's closer to it than Britney. Anyway, people these days just use the term to refer to their favourite pop star, rather than someone who has clearly done something to deserve such a title; hence why people are saying Gaga doesn't deserve it simply because they don't like her.

Last edited:

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    Britney is forever and always the queen in my book. Femme Fatale is great! Brit is gonna keep making and selling tons of albums for many ages to come

Shining Raichu

Years

• Part of being a queen is that you have to have lasting value, songs that are wildly popular year after year.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm fairly sure Bad Romance will be around until the end of time lol, and this is just the beginning of her career.

She sure did a 360 to that attitude by starting to wear meat dresses

One meat dress. She wore one meat dress, and all of a sudden she's that lady who wears meat dresses :P

I truly believe Gaga will be around for quite a while. I'm sure Madonna had her detractors in her time, saying that she would never manage to top her previous album, however she has always managed to. I think people are starting to grow so accustomed to Gaga's over-the-top displays that they are beginning to write her off as one giant publicity stunt, but I don't think underestimating anyone who is willing to go as far as she goes is a smart idea.

Years
  • I truly believe Gaga will be around for quite a while. I'm sure Madonna had her detractors in her time, saying that she would never manage to top her previous album, however she has always managed to. I think people are starting to grow so accustomed to Gaga's over-the-top displays that they are beginning to write her off as one giant publicity stunt, but I don't think underestimating anyone who is willing to go as far as she goes is a smart idea.

Well, I'm not really accustomed to her beginning to act totally of-the-hook, especially from the music videos of Judas and Born This Way. I mean there's a difference between outstanding and just plain freaky. She's like scaring kids out there with her ever-growing creepy designs. I'm not hating on her, I used to like her music. Her old ones like Poker Face, Paparazzi and Love Game but since the time of Telephone with an explicit video of her you-know-what, it just disgusted me to think why and how she just....changed into something very unexpected and uncalled for overnight... I mean I just wish for her to return back to being the Lady gaga I once knew...not someone from Gotham Asylum.

The reason why I'm thinking Britney will be crowned the next one, once Madonna decides to step out of the music industry and most likely spend time with her family, is because Britney Spears have been longer than Gaga and there was no one like her since 1998, and from then on, several people have been copying her formula.

And then we had that big hoohah between Christina Aguilera and Lady Gaga, so that one actually confuzzled me...and I am still confuzzled till today. x_x Also, let us open this discussion, how about Kesha, Avril Lavigne, Pink, Mariah Carey and Katy Perry? I'm sure there'll be some fans of those around here. I think I can safely say that Kesha is the queen of auto-tuned pop. XD

Shining Raichu

Years
  • She's like scaring kids out there with her ever-growing creepy designs.

Ugh who cares, she's not a children's performer. Not everything has to be child-friendly lol. If kids are getting freaked out, parents can stop them watching her :P

Diamond1304 said:
    Also, let us open this discussion, how about Kesha, Avril Lavigne, Pink, Mariah Carey and Katy Perry? I'm sure there'll be some fans of those around here. I think I can safely say that Kesha is the queen of auto-tuned pop. XD

I think Kesha is too trashy and Avril Lavigne is already trying too hard to remain relevant, and noone really thinks that much about her anymore. Mariah Carey was never that great or popular, was she? I mean, she's always been there, but never enough to be in my line of sight - but I can only speak for me.

Though I think Pink and Katy Perry are in with a fair shot.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Mariah Carey was never that great or popular, was she? I mean, she's always been there, but never enough to be in my line of sight - but I can only speak for me.

Um. She's one of the world's best selling artists. The second highest selling woman artist of all time, behind Madonna, and just above Celine Dion, and the world's best selling artist of the 90s. She's sold 200 million records while Lady Gaga has sold 15. Mariah Carey has been popular over 20 years now. She's won 17 World Music Awards, and I'm fairly certain Lady Gaga hasn't won any, although she does match her in terms of Grammy Awards.

Mariah Carey isn't a "omg shock you look I'm in the spotlight look at me look at me" kind of artist. If that's the kind of artists you listen to, then you haven't heard much of her music because she just makes music. Her demographic is above the people obsessed with Lady Gaga, to an older audience who isn't looking for shock value in their music. You don't hear about her because she's not out there shaving her head, wearing ridiculous outfits for attention, etc. Even her sequel Christmas album, the kind of thing very little people care about, was in the top 5 on the charts when it was released.

Mariah Carey has more of a running at the Queen of Pop than Katy Perry and Pink combined. They're both just blips on the radar compared to her.

Years
  • Mariah Carey has more of a running at the Queen of Pop than Katy Perry and Pink combined. They're both just blips on the radar compared to her.
    I assumed that the title of Queen of Pop was implicitly for artists who were blips because pop is the genre that's always changing.

But I agree with your assessment of Mariah Carey. She's not popular with the Gaga crowd, but she probably has more fans out there even if many of them are in their 30s, 40s and so on.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I assumed that the title of Queen of Pop was implicitly for artists who were blips because pop is the genre that's always changing.

I see it more as an artist that evolves with the times, that's what sets the Queen apart from other pop stars. She's popular when her music comes out, and popular years from now, and her new music changes with modern tastes in pop.

Years
  • Ugh who cares, she's not a children's performer. Not everything has to be child-friendly lol. If kids are getting freaked out, parents can stop them watching her :P

Well, you've no idea how large the range of Monsters there are. Parents stop them, then her fanbase goes down. And you know parents that are real concerned, will tell other parents and soon the whole neighbourhood avoids Gaga music.

Um. She's one of the world's best selling artists. The second highest selling woman artist of all time, behind Madonna, and just above Celine Dion, and the world's best selling artist of the 90s. She's sold 200 million records while Lady Gaga has sold 15. Mariah Carey has been popular over 20 years now. She's won 17 World Music Awards, and I'm fairly certain Lady Gaga hasn't won any, although she does match her in terms of Grammy Awards.

Mariah Carey isn't a "omg shock you look I'm in the spotlight look at me look at me" kind of artist. If that's the kind of artists you listen to, then you haven't heard much of her music because she just makes music. Her demographic is above the people obsessed with Lady Gaga, to an older audience who isn't looking for shock value in their music. You don't hear about her because she's not out there shaving her head, wearing ridiculous outfits for attention, etc. Even her sequel Christmas album, the kind of thing very little people care about, was in the top 5 on the charts when it was released.

Mariah Carey has more of a running at the Queen of Pop than Katy Perry and Pink combined. They're both just blips on the radar compared to her.

This, I like! /is a MC fanatic

I dislike how people says her songs are shallow. How dare they, I'll skewer them! XD

Also, according to Wikipedia (which isn't trustworthy), Lady Gaga wrote her piano ballad at the age of 13. But that doesn't mean anything when she doesn't use that talent in her music. All her songs are created by electronic music and I have yet to hear anything traditional from the instruments in them. Also, it is said that she was inspired by earlier pop artists i.e. Madonna, Whitney Houston AND Britney Spears. So, they say Gaga will be become queen, but IMO, a queen inspired by someone else, surely that someone should be queen. I mean, that's just common sense, right?

Agreed, with Toujours. But pop rarely stands far away from its original.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
  • To me, Gaga is the Queen of Pop. Her songs have vastly differing yet always empowering meanings other than the extremely overkilled love and dancing songs that are too frequent today, thanks to artists like Britney Spears. She uses multiple instruments and musical techniques though rarely sinking to autotune. The passion that she laces into her performances gets me every time. I honestly can't compare her to Madonna as Madonna was way before my time and I've yet to familiarize myself with her, but as for the current Queen of Pop, Gaga's got all the ingredients.
    All her songs are created by electronic music and I have yet to hear anything traditional from the instruments in them.
    Have you ever heard Speechless, Living on the Radio or You and I? Acoustic Poker Face or Paparazzi? Born This Way Acapella? She can play almost any of her songs acoustically at just a piano. Hit up Youtube if you'd like to be amazed.

LittleHope

Your Once Upon A Time.
    Years
  • Lady Gaga shall always sit on the throne of fame! Her voice makes me go Gaga! She will one day take over the world and sit next to the spirit of Micheal Jackson.

Back