• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most overrated game ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Definitely Undertale. It really isn't half as entertaining or clever as the fanbase would have you believe.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Life is Strange.

People make it look like it's the best interactive movie ever with brilliant storyline and setting and whatever.
    When in fact, the storyline is predictable, the setting is exaggerate depict of American high school (at least I hope, because if it's not exaggerate then... wow) which makes it immensely hard to relate to it unless you are actually US citizen. And despite the fact that I liked the time travel as a gameplay concept, the rules of time travel were all over the place.

User19sq

I mean, the thing is that these people you deride were the core market for GO; lapsed fans (or people who only have the most cursory knowledge of the heyday of the franchise) who had not been interested enough in the franchise to buy a game + relevant console for many years. It is an extremely accessible medium to rekindle interest in the franchise, by appealing to people who haven't really played much since Emerald at the latest; the numbers of which I would wager are at least three times the amount of active fans today. GO isn't really a game - it's simply a very successful advert that thrived on it being 'overrated' and overhyped. Viewing it in the context of being an advert for Sun & Moon makes the simplicity, and the flaws, of GO much easier to understand. Same goes for the people playing it who don't really know what is happening today, but would like to. GO did its job perfectly.

That's quite the assessment! Job well done! But one thing strikes me right now: if it's just an ad right now, yet they plan to update it a la Team Fortress 2 and Destiny, to include possibly more Pokémon as well as features, then doesn't GO have the potential to become a full-fledged game in its own right, and thereby fitting this concept to a tee?

Years
  • The Last of Us. I beat it when it first came out on PS3 and the AI was so terrible that I couldn't play it, even with friends. The story was pretty common as well, what with the Walking Dead being on TV as well as several books like The Road and a ton of TOR books involving survival.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Ocarina of Time and/or FF7 get a lot more blind praise than they deserve.

Years
  • Every "military" FPS game ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm down to play DOOM any day of the week, but the same old crap like Call Of Duty or Battlefield just all seems entirely the same, every single release.

Other than that... uhhh, maybe Assassin's Creed franchise?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Every "military" FPS game ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm down to play DOOM any day of the week, but the same old crap like Call Of Duty or Battlefield just all seems entirely the same, every single release.

Other than that... uhhh, maybe Assassin's Creed franchise?

DOOM is literally the most basic, bland shooter to ever be released. It's just a slightly updated Wolfenstein 3D reskin. At least each Battlefield has brought something new to the table, if only from a technical standpoint.

Years
  • It's kind of hard to defend any military shooter these days. When was the last time DICE released a Battlefield game that didn't have beaucoup problems and bugs? I remember Battlefield 3 had horrendous slowdown and broken servers the first year of release. Hardline was a huge let down, and don't bring up Battlefront. These days, every game has problems it seems, and more so often than there used to be. Maybe that's just technology advancing or standards being lowered?

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
    Years
  • It's kind of hard to defend any military shooter these days. When was the last time DICE released a Battlefield game that didn't have beaucoup problems and bugs? I remember Battlefield 3 had horrendous slowdown and broken servers the first year of release. Hardline was a huge let down, and don't bring up Battlefront. These days, every game has problems it seems, and more so often than there used to be. Maybe that's just technology advancing or standards being lowered?

In my opinion, alot of it has to do with people purchasing a bad product. I've purchased a PS4 for "Star Wars - Battlefront" and I was so underwhelmed with the game that I won't make that mistake again. I've played Call of Duty before and I wasn't impressed with that game either. What ever happened to FPS games like Half-Life?

I'm probably going to get some shade for this, but Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game I've ever played. I didn't play it when it was originally released, but I played the PS classic version on my PS3 and I wasn't impressed at all. The plot was thinly written, the characters seemed one dimensional, and the chibi graphics outside of battle and certain cut scenes just didn't do it for me.

Years
  • In my opinion, alot of it has to do with people purchasing a bad product. I've purchased a PS4 for "Star Wars - Battlefront" and I was so underwhelmed with the game that I won't make that mistake again. I've played Call of Duty before and I wasn't impressed with that game either. What ever happened to FPS games like Half-Life?

I'm probably going to get some shade for this, but Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game I've ever played. I didn't play it when it was originally released, but I played the PS classic version on my PS3 and I wasn't impressed at all. The plot was thinly written, the characters seemed one dimensional, and the chibi graphics outside of battle and certain cut scenes just didn't do it for me.

In comparison of villains from Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI had the main protagonist destroy the planet and become a god. I really liked The Emperor in Final Fantasy II.

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
    Years
  • In comparison of villains from Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI had the main protagonist destroy the planet and become a god. I really liked The Emperor in Final Fantasy II.

I love Final Fantasy VI for Kefka alone. I don't have a favorite Final Fantasy game, but VI is high up on the list. That's the game that needs to be remade instead of VII, but I can see how tough remaking that game could be, with so many characters and all.

Yukari

DOOM is literally the most basic, bland shooter to ever be released. It's just a slightly updated Wolfenstein 3D reskin. At least each Battlefield has brought something new to the table, if only from a technical standpoint.

Well, no. DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D are very different from a technical standpoint.

Wolfenstein 3D uses Raycasting, DOOM uses Binary Space Partitioning. And the latter is thousands of times more sophisticated and clever than the former. Wolfenstein just scans the players field of view and then renders that in a way that makes it appear 3D. Because of this everything is rendered the same size and on the same level so you can't have sections that are higher or lower than others. In other words, there are no stairs and all the rooms appear to have walls that are the same height and are on the same level. In DOOM the maps are all broken up into chunks that are rendered at different heights and levels. Ergo, you can have infinitely more complex levels in it because things can be rendered at points that are higher than others without using much of the processor at all. To this day it is still really brilliant from a technical standpoint, and is far from the way that Wolfenstein 3D worked. At the time it allowed it to overcome a lot of technical limitations and still work on really weak hardware; they even made a SNES port of the game which was thought to be impossible.

So yeah. DOOM is neither basic nor a reskin of Wolfenstein 3D.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Well, no. DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D are very different from a technical standpoint.

Wolfenstein 3D uses Raycasting, DOOM uses Binary Space Partitioning. And the latter is thousands of times more sophisticated and clever than the former. Wolfenstein just scans the players field of view and then renders that in a way that makes it appear 3D. Because of this everything is rendered the same size and on the same level so you can't have sections that are higher or lower than others. In other words, there are no stairs and all the rooms appear to have walls that are the same height and are on the same level. In DOOM the maps are all broken up into chunks that are rendered at different heights and levels. Ergo, you can have infinitely more complex levels in it because things can be rendered at points that are higher than others without using much of the processor at all. To this day it is still really brilliant from a technical standpoint, and is far from the way that Wolfenstein 3D worked. At the time it allowed it to overcome a lot of technical limitations and still work on really weak hardware; they even made a SNES port of the game which was thought to be impossible.

So yeah. DOOM is neither basic nor a reskin of Wolfenstein 3D.

And Battlefield 4 is a thousand miles away from Battlefield 1942 which is the exact point of my post.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    eh, those "jumpscare" games, i dunno, they sound good on paper but they never really do anything for me

Outlier

Going to mention GTA V since it was the most sold game ever despite being a step back from IV in terms of story and free mode.

Yukari

And Battlefield 4 is a thousand miles away from Battlefield 1942 which is the exact point of my post.
    Yes. And it also came out 11 years after Battlefield 1942. Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM were released a year apart.

It isn't in any way valid to make that comparison.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back