• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Uncreative Pokémon Designs?

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    why everybody say Dugtrio or Magneton or Exeggcute...
    when you have this ! -

i rest my case..

Years
  • I'm going to have to go with Plusle and Minun. It just feels as though on the day they were invented someone said:

"Right! let's take 2 Pichu's, paint one red, the other blue, and call them new Pokemon."

I mean, even their names are generic...

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't believe any are uncreative. The designs and even abilities/moves etc are actually based on quite creative ideas.

Best example from this thread is Klefki. Pagans believed that fairies stole small items like keys and that the fae were mischievous. Born from that comes Klefki, a steel/fairy type set of keys with the most mischievous ability, prankster.

Voltorb and Electrode, who appear around man-made power plants, appear to be the pokemon version of living bombs.

Diglett and Dugtrio - clearly they are moles. Moles pop up their heads up above the ground and rarely seen above the ground hence only seeing Diglett and Dugtrio heads.

Trubbish and Garbodor are the embodiment of land waste. It was never going to be pretty. Just like Koffing and Weezing are the embodiment of air pollution.

A lot of Pokemon are just based off of animals with some quirks to them either in colouring or additional things (like Floatzel's buoy looking thing around its neck, or Seaking's horn)

I have no issue in any design, really.

Garbodor's design maybe even cleverer then that. His design is a oppsite to tottoro, something that makes that very clear is this blogpost. I used to hate him, but after reading this and the fact that I used him in my playthrough of white made him one of my favorite designs in gen 5.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I agree with MorallyIncorrect: I don't really think Trubbish and Garbodor are the laziest designs in the Pokemon universe. They're bags of trash come to life. Simple concept, pretty simple design. Same with Voltorb and Electrode; they're Poke balls that somehow gained sentience. I think some of the laziest Pokemon designs I've ever seen are something that you'd figure would be more complex than what it actually is. Like Sudowoodo; this little thing with 3 green rocks on each finger mimics a tree... how exactly? Really look at it:

I'd assume something that mimics a tree would look a bit more like a tree. It's a stick figure with 3 green fingers on each hand. Another one is Luvdisc; it's literally a heart with a mouth and two eyes. You couldn't get any more simple. Aren't angel fish supposed to look a little less bland and simple? At least have some visible scales on the thing. And finally there's Klefki, which is officially Game Freak running out of ideas.

It's not so much the simplicity of the design that bothers me, it's the simplicity of the design matched with what the Pokemon is supposed to be. A tree mimic is supposed to look a bit like a tree. A fish isn't just supposed to look like a heart; the thing doesn't even have any fins. And then there's a Pokemon based on a bunch of keys. It can't be that hard to come up with something better than Klefki's design.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2015
    I honestly feel that the newer gens have some pretty good designs, as opposed to a lot of gen. 1 designs.
    I mean literally do I have to name all of them: Voltorb line, dugtrio, magnemite line, grimer line, raticate, exeggucute etc.
    I feel kanto pokémon are a little bit bland when you look at them in general.

To people saying newer gens are uncreative, please not that the designs are getting even more creative as gamefreak needs to push designs further with interesting backstories. Seriously klefki may look stupid at first but it's story makes sense pretty much and thetefore I don't dislike.

My conclusion is that first gen was pretty bland, the second till 6th gen is sorta perfect with only a few per region which are just ... off.

Years
  • I have to say I really hate trubbish and it's evolution. I think it is dumb but at the same time I understand why they made it. They made a pokemon to represent each of the waste. You have Muk, Weezing, and Trubbish. They all kinda go together well in that sense. Though I think this was talked about earlier in the forum.

Overall though I really hate that ice cream cone. Like seriously? Why? I also hate those inanimate object pokemon like Klefki, honedge, and that gear pokemon I forgot the name of all of a sudden. I just don't see a need for them. I say that about a lot of the newer pokemon though. I also hate kricketune. I feel they could have done so much better with something like that. I would have liked a cricket pokemon if it didn't look so dumb. Another I'm not too keen about is Combee. Like we already had beedrill. Did we really need another bee pokemon that looked so dumb. Just no. That could be said about Tympole. We really didn't need another toad or frog pokemon. We have politoed and toxicroak which have really solid designs. We didn't need a blue blob with warts all over it. It looks really bad. I have to add in nosepass and it's evolution. It's the dumbest looking of them all. It just grows a mustache and grows bigger with eyes. Like why? I wish it had never been made. On that note another I wish had never been made is timburr and it's evolutions. Every time I see a gurdurr I want to punch it in the face literally. I hate their design and the design of that whole evolution line.

I could add a bunch more but I'll stop there.

Years
  • Combee? Thank you so much for mentioning that jerk that cheats you out of its evolution. I actually liked it for a little while back in 2007 when I found out how rare females were, but many years later I came to hate that thing.

And as for Timburr's evolution line, gonna guess because it bears such a resemblance to Machop's.

Years
  • Combee? Thank you so much for mentioning that jerk that cheats you out of its evolution. I actually liked it for a little while back in 2007 when I found out how rare females were, but many years later I came to hate that thing.

And as for Timburr's evolution line, gonna guess because it bears such a resemblance to Machop's.

I'm glad someone understands! I hate that bee. With Timburr though I actually really like machop and it evolutions. It's a solid enough design. I do think that female machamp and machoke could resemble something like nidoqueen in at least showing they have so sort of feminine quality however. I figure they probably don't because of the age pokemon is geared towards but still. It's just small things like that that really bother me.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    What about Vanillite? It's literally an ice cream cone.
    And its evolutions are just bigger ice cream cones.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I could at least make a party out of the most uncreative pokemon. Just to name a few.

Klefki is a must here, Rattata, Furret, Hitmonchan, Wailord, and Beatifly.

Back