• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Move Combinations

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
  • Move Combinations

"The first details on special CoroCoro magazine; CoroCoro Special's October issue have started to come out through a Twitter so there is a possibility of it being inaccurate, with thanks to Sabonea Masukippa for translation. This issue confirms a new feature within Double & Triple Battles called Combination Attacks. These attacks can be joined together if you select both attacks by selecting two or more specific attacks. Three examples of these attacks include Grass Oath, Fire Oath and Water Oath. We don't know how these work exactly but we have three examples;
    If you use Grass Oath and Water Oath, the moves combine to make a Moor attack which lowers your opponent's speed.
    In addition to that, Fire Oath and Water Oath create a Rainbow in the sky which boosts the likelihood of secondary effects occuring for your team mates.
    Grass Oath & Fire Oath creates a Field of Fire which will cause damage to the opponents each turn.
    These combinations, as well as being done together, also need to be done in order. For example, for the Grass/Fire Oath one, you'll need to use Grass Oath and then Fire Oath. It is unknown if all combination moves will be like this. We'll bring more details on this brand new feature as and when it comes including and hopefully some scans & total confirmation so keep checking back."
    -- Serebii

This sounds amazing. :D

allBlue

legendary cake lover
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 15, 2013
    More strategies to play around with in battles :) Can't wait to see how many more of those combo attacks have been implemented in the game, could definitely be game changer in competitive battle scenes.

Years
  • this looks cool! ... I've always wanted combos (I think) and now they're here :)

maybe a combo they'll do will be razor leaf and flamethrower -- the grass pkmn uses razor leaf and the fire pkmn used flamethrower to set the leaves on fire. it'll be called razor flame and will slash into the foe with a sharp, fiery cut.

Power: 90
    Effect: may burn the foe of make it flinch

just an idea :) what do you think?

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    IMO This is the best feature to be shown so far, if it is true at least >< I'm slightly suspicious, just in case.

This gives proper tactics to double/triple battles, rather than just thoughtless attacking! It is also fun to randomly discover these moves (kind of like Rikku's Mix in FFX where you try random combinations to see if anything happens). Yay!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Personally, I think this is a great idea. This is really taking the games to the next level (well, to me at least!) I can't wait to see the visual effects this actually creates (besides what we can already see). I hope there's more than just a few specific combination moves, otherwise the feature won't be too interesting, but... this really reminds me of appeals in RSE contests. Do I dare say this is a sign of RS remakes? :(

Also, mrunner4home, I like it. A lot. :D

Years
  • Personally, I think this is a great idea. This is really taking the games to the next level (well, to me at least!) I can't wait to see the visual effects this actually creates (besides what we can already see). I hope there's more than just a few specific combination moves, otherwise the feature won't be too interesting, but... this really reminds me of appeals in RSE contests. Do I dare say this is a sign of RS remakes? :(

yeah I think this, along with the older characters, and the rumored more stuff to the game to appeal to the older fans, means that black and white will be more aimed at the older players. it'll still be playable for the younger people but they'll add more stuff like the ivs and evs which are for the -- can't think of how to say this -- more experienced older more thinky people. lol. so pkmn won't be considered so much a little kid game (by the people who don't know better) :D

Years
  • this looks to me like Nintendo is attempting so sort of, un-do the current competitive battle scene or meta game. like an Eff you to smogon haha. Personally i love this, if true it will revamp and augment battling for the better.

Bay

Years
  • This does sound interesting. I too hope though it isn't just limited to a few attacks that we could combine.

One thing I'm curious though is if we have to wait a turn or something after we done the combos. Looks like it'll take a bit of energy out of our Pokemon if we do the combos in succession. D:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Personally, I think this is a great idea. This is really taking the games to the next level (well, to me at least!) I can't wait to see the visual effects this actually creates (besides what we can already see). I hope there's more than just a few specific combination moves, otherwise the feature won't be too interesting, but... this really reminds me of appeals in RSE contests. Do I dare say this is a sign of RS remakes? :(

I thought the same thing when I read it, a shout out to RSE it seems :)
    I love this new feature :D

The Red Chain

Oh man, this made me even more psyched than I already was. <33
    I just really hope they amp up the NPC trainer's power. After like the first two or three gyms we can already woop most of their Pokemon in one or two hits. Combo moves, and all the other powerful moves they are revealing like Grass Mixer, will make opponents even easier to beat than before. I hope with the new combo moves they put some time into the NPC trainers, honestly. Give us more of a challenge. :3

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • This is... I can't believe it... This is... freaking AWESOME! This is what I've been waiting for since the third generation! Combination attacks! Double battles and Triple battles are now far more awesome then before, and seem to be a bit different.

I am crying tears of happiness right now, since this was revealed. Game Freak, you are awesome... even more now then before.

The Red Chain

So is every move combinable?
    It looks like the only ones revealed to combine so far are Fire Oath, Grass Oath, and Water Oath. But having more moves to combine would just be... omg. <33 Afterall, it isn't like getting all three starters or two would be easy for a while unless you're buying two copies of the game. So, I don't see combining with just those three moves becoming very common. I wonder if any other Pokemon get the "Oath" moves...

Btw, I adoreee your signature Ty. ^__^

Back