• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves that annoy you

Years
    I was thinking of this today while training my Lanturn, went up against three Audino in a row and they get critical hits with Double-Edge. It started my hatred towards the move and I went into total rageface.

So, what moves annoy you the most and why?

Moves that totally annoy me:
    • Double-Edge (especially when it gets a critical hit)
    • Any status-inducing move
    • Moves that cause confusion (especially Swagger and Flatter)
    • Secret Power (it almost always puts me to sleep)
    • Stealth Rock (I hated Cheren's Gigalith cos of this)
    • Dragon Tail
    • Inaccurate moves (When the opponent gets them hitting perfectly)
    • Minimize and Double Team

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Any status-inducing move, especially paralysis, sleep and poison, is annoying to me. I either can't do much or suffer a slow, painful death.

It's also annoying when I'm forced to use an inaccurate move, like Focus Blast, and it misses.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I hate moves that end up negating my attacks or making them useless in the future, like Substitute or Disable. I'm all about all-out attacking in my games, so if the other team negates my attacks, then I'm kind of screwed and it's really annoying haha.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Probably any status inducing move, and Astonish. Especially when it gets the flinch part and it keeps making your active Pokemon flinch. >_>

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    - Protect. It just frustrates me, even if I don't have a status.
    - Thunder Wave. Para-hax are clearly the most annoying thing ever. Most grass types carry Sleep Powder so I don't see Stun Spore too often.
    - Sleep Powder / Hypnosis / All that jazz.
    - Rest + Lum. Kick in the nuts on all the damage you just did.
    - Double Team / Minimize. Especially on Pokemon that just wouldn't normally have it, like Machamp or...I dunno, Registeel.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Moves that cause direct status problems. Especially in-game. Confusion and Paralysis are the worst IMO. Swagger, Confuse Ray, Stun Spore, Thunder Wave and Flatter are ideas from Satan himself lbr. High crit moves that never crit from me but always from them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Quash. It's just a stupid name and it annoys me that they actually made a move with this name, or even a move that does what it does. What's the point?

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I agree regarding with what's been said about status-inducing moves, but the one I find most annoying is anything that causes Confusion. When a Zubat in a cave hits my Pokemon with Confuse Ray or Supersonic, I might as well just run away else the first guy in my party faints from hitting itself so many times.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    Confusion is a whole different state of rage. Who is confused enough to smack themselves in the face. Confusion should make you use a random move, or if in a Double Battle, use a random move and a chance it hits your other Pokemon* (just realized my mistake lol)
    Now if the dialog said "Mareep is confused. It fell on the ground and hurt itself," then I wouldn't be mad.

Last edited:
    Years
    Sand-attack. I really only have problems with it at the beginning of the game, when it's really annoying. Worst part is that the AI just spams the move until none of your moves can hit.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    Sand-attack. I really only have problems with it at the beginning of the game, when it's really annoying. Worst part is that the AI just spams the move until none of your moves can hit.

Even worse:

You use Sand Attack 6 times, they land a Blizzard.
    You get hit by Sand Attack once, you miss Tackle three times in a row.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    In the early days of Gen I-II, I HATED Bind and Wrap. I would yell at the Game Boy whenever anything tried to use it on me, mainly for the horrible animation that would accompany it, but also because of the slow-painful life sucking effect it had. And Fire Spin as well! "_____ is trapped by Fire Spin" used to drive me absolutely insane! Looking back on it now, it's amusing, but at the time I would always seethe with anger if an Onix or something used Bind. It's one of the reasons that I have no affection for Brock!

Nowadays, confusion-based moves annoy be a lot, be it Supersonic or Confuse Ray. That they mainly tend to emanate from Zubats only makes the whole thing worse, to be honest. Paralysis/Sleep/Freeze/Burn I'm fine with, as they have a consistent effect, for the most part. But confusion can go at any time, can hurt you at any time. Yeah, it's a sneaky one, that is!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Moves that I hate being used against me, that's quite the laundry list.

- All moves that afflict status ailments. I hate all of them in general, & whenever someone is afflicted, it follows with me falling back to the nearest healer/Pokémon Center.
    - Anything that confuses my guys. Do I really need to explain this? I make it a habit to run if my Pokémon gets confused, or switch it out to another one, hopefully one with Own Tempo.
    - Protect & Detect. Anyone who uses these are cowards that are delaying the inevitable. The CPU especially loves spamming these two, & thus, I'm wishing that GameFreak implements more moves that can ignore these two - Feint & Shadow Force isn't enough.
    - Any move that reduces my stats. Who in the world likes being handicapped stat-wise? I know I don't. If the stat reduction happens to be a crippling handicap, I either run or switch out, hopefully to a Pokémon with Clear Body.
    - DT/Minimize. I hate missing, & whenever the CPU spams either of those, more often than not, I'm wishing for either a haze or a swift-class move. Otherwise, it'll end up being a drawn-out war of attrition - whoever uses Struggle first loses.

psycodragon

Digimon Can Eat It
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 15, 2012
    I hate all non-attack moves. Like, once I was level spamming my pokemon and didn`t notice when I replaced hyper beam with softboiled.FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-. Anyway, I always have all attacks. I never consider anyone would use status moves. No offense, some status moves are good (for you) like Toxic, but I hate most status moves.

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
    DOUBLE TEAM. Espeacial when you're counting on your pokemon's move to save the day, and, double team strikes again. Hate it.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Confusion is a whole different state of rage. Who is confused enough to smack themselves in the face. Confusion should make you use a random move, or if in a Double Battle, use a random move and a chance it hits your opponent.

Now if the dialog said "Mareep is confused. It fell on the ground and hurt itself," then I wouldn't be mad.

I agree with the random move part so much. I never saw a person who was confused enough just smack them self out of nowhere because they happened to be confused.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
    I hate them stat lowering moves like double team and sand attack.
    I also hate status moves like Hypnosis, Spore, etc...

But when I use them moves, I forget the hate and use them naturally.

_CruzaComplex

Steven Stone Fanatic
    Years
    Anything using Paralysis annoys me, though it seems that's what Paralysis is -meant- to do. Confuse Ray is a beast I'd rather not tangle with, as is Recover.

Also, and probably because I NEVER expect it to be in a competitive setting, Pursuit. I mean really, who does that?

Back