• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    I have this bold meowstic. I want it to have more EVs invested into Sp Def. How can I have correct amount of EVs w/o wasting any of them. Currently I have 252 in Hp. I want more EVs in Sp def with some in Def.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I have this bold meowstic. I want it to have more EVs invested into Sp Def. How can I have correct amount of EVs w/o wasting any of them. Currently I have 252 in Hp. I want more EVs in Sp def with some in Def.
    The difference is not the end of the world but still you lose one stat point when you don't use at least 172 Def.

If you are using Dual Screens, we recommend you to run Bold 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef. These are the perfect numbers in order to not to be 2HKOed by Mega-Kangaskhan's Return and Charizard-Y's Heat Wave. That's more Def than SDef, but the most efficient spread we have found. What do you want to survive?

Years

Well, since HP is maxed out at 252, you can split the remaining EV's (You have 258 remaining) between Def and SpD. Most sets for male Meowstic that are support-oriented, have 252 Hp/252 Def and 4 in SpD, though. But, if you want to invest in SpD, you could do like 196 Def/60 SpD to pad that stat a bit.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    The difference is not the end of the world but still you lose one stat point when you don't use at least 172 Def.

If you are using Dual Screens, we recommend you to run Bold 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef. These are the perfect numbers in order to not to be 2HKOed by Mega-Kangaskhan's Return and Charizard-Y's Heat Wave. That's more Def than SDef, but the most efficient spread we have found. What do you want to survive?

It seems that a lot of mons I run into attack Meow with special attacks and thats what winds up killing it are special attacks

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    It seems that a lot of mons I run into attack Meow with special attacks and thats what winds up killing it are special attacks
    We need slightly more spcific examples in order for you to create your own spread. Defensive spreads are very felxible. What is killing you? Don't shy away from calling them by name. Also, do you have Light Screen or not?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    We need slightly more spcific examples in order for you to create your own spread. Defensive spreads are very felxible. What is killing you? Don't shy away from calling them by name. Also, do you have Light Screen or not?

I do have LS. There isnt one particular Sp. Atk that kills. Neutral attacks slaughter it too. Way i set up being safeguard then swagger. I dont get LS in time. Doesnt seem like to matter cuz I get beat in every way possible

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I do have LS. There isnt one particular Sp. Atk that kills. Neutral attacks slaughter it too. Way i set up being safeguard then swagger. I dont get LS in time. Doesnt seem like to matter cuz I get beat in every way possible

Maybe it'd be better to run dual screens instead of SafeSwagger then. Or at least throw up a screen first, then go for the safeswag. IDK.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    If you say nothing in particular, our first guess would probably be Rotom-W. Because you haven't used Light Screen yet, we will just assume you don't have it.

Remember, with 252 HP you will have 181 in total without a Sitrus Berry. Let's do tests for a Modest 252 Rotom-W:

Calm 36 SDef, 90 damage with Thunderbolt - 3HKO
    Calm 132 SDef, 81 damage with Thunderbolt and 99 damage with Hydro Pump - 2HKO

The second spread is probably the one you want to look at. You will barely be able to emulate this spread with a Bold nature. 220 SDef would be necessary.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    If you say nothing in particular, our first guess would probably be Rotom-W. Because you haven't used Light Screen yet, we will just assume you don't have it.

Remember, with 252 HP you will have 181 in total without a Sitrus Berry. Let's do tests for a Modest 252 Rotom-W:

Calm 36 SDef, 90 damage with Thunderbolt - 3HKO
    Calm 132 SDef, 81 damage with Thunderbolt and 99 damage with Hydro Pump - 2HKO

The second spread is probably the one you want to look at. You will barely be able to emulate this spread with a Bold nature. 220 SDef would be necessary.

Not sure if youre asking if I have Rotom-W or going against it? I have gone against it and its soo damn bulky is hard even my +2 Banded Chomp to hit with Dragon claw. I choose not to carry Rotom-w because for some reason when I use it its power is soo underwhelming despite its base stats it wasnt worth it to me to use it, tho I cant beat it soo I dk

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Not sure if youre asking if I have Rotom-W or going against it? I have gone against it and its soo damn bulky is hard even my +2 Banded Chomp to hit with Dragon claw. I choose not to carry Rotom-w because for some reason when I use it its power is soo underwhelming despite its base stats it wasnt worth it to me to use it, tho I cant beat it soo I dk
    Not sure if we understand; those test are Meowstic against Roton-W. We were trying to find a SDef threshold you are comfortable with.

Rotom-W? Banded +2 Garchomp?

+2 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 142-168 (90.4 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Note that in VGC people rarely run max Def Rotom because that would make it fodder against Charizard-Y. They must have paired it with Mawile or Scrafty, because you would plow through it otherwise. If you don't want to use Light Screen, Fake Out is a perfect alternative and keeps dangerous stuff such as Mawile and Scrafty at bay.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Has Ubers always not had Evasion Clause? I just battled this guy who was using Minimize. I thought that there was Evasion Clause in Ubers, but I never really paid attention till now because its enforced in the other tiers on Showdown and I don't think I've ever encountered an evasion team before on Ubers.

I lost, btw (maybe its because I'm stupid, maybe its because evasion is broken, idk). Here's the video: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-106403299

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Has Ubers always not had Evasion Clause? I just battled this guy who was using Minimize. I thought that there was Evasion Clause in Ubers, but I never really paid attention till now because its enforced in the other tiers on Showdown and I don't think I've ever encountered an evasion team before on Ubers.

I lost, btw (maybe its because I'm stupid, maybe its because evasion is broken, idk). Here's the video: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-106403299

Evasion clause isn't applied for Ubers: https://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Really...

I'm surprised it hasn't been abused in Ubers then. I seriously have never seen an evasion team in Ubers until now, I think.
    Evasion isn't a good playstyle. You won't win matches with on a regularly because RNG is as likely to screw you over as it is to the opponent. If the opponent hits the Double Teamer, he hasn't really accomplised anything in that turn. Broken isn't equal to effective in this case.
    On a subjective note: Playing pure Evasion is so darn unfunny and both winning and loosing a match is so much more tedious than the worst stall matches that we suspect that only a true griefer can exercise enough patience to pull this off on a regular basis. Some people have far too much free time.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    Really...

I'm surprised it hasn't been abused in Ubers then. I seriously have never seen an evasion team in Ubers until now, I think.

Evasion isn't a good playstyle. You won't win matches with on a regularly because RNG is as likely to screw you over as it is to the opponent. If the opponent hits the Double Teamer, he hasn't really accomplised anything in that turn. Broken isn't equal to effective in this case.
    On a subjective note: Playing pure Evasion is so darn unfunny and both winning and loosing a match is so much more tedious than the worst stall matches that we suspect that only a true griefer can exercise enough patience to pull this off on a regular basis. Some people have far too much free time.

To ride on what Onicon is saying. I was playing in Battle Spot against someone trying to use one poke to evade and he did all the way then built up its defense while he thinks hes evading. It was a simple process of divide and conquer. While he was building up the evading poke I systematically picked at his other pokes. I think he was trying to do a baton pass thing but he was quickly neutralized. Then like 4 turns later I defeated the +6 Evasion poke.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    That's a big reason I don't think Smogon has looked into Evasion well enough. Evasion being banned in any tier is ridiculous because it's terrible.

I haven't actually seen Evasion win a match. This was a first.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back