• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    is Mega Gyarados even that common? I feel like there's a plethora of better mega evos to use. o.o

Mega Gyarados is a rather common sight in OU. The very reason why it's viable is because regular Gyarados can hold off of Mega Evolving until the right moment, given the differing typings of the regular and Mega forms. Regular Gyarados can make use of its Water/Flying type to take advantage of its Bug and Fighting resistances to set up Dragon Dance, for instance, as Mega Gyarados is weak to those types. It can also lure in Wash Rotom with the regular form, then Mega Evolve to strike it with Mold Breaker Earthquake.

Gible

Y L I E S S E
    Years
    Mega Gyarados is a rather common sight in OU. The very reason why it's viable is because regular Gyarados can hold off of Mega Evolving until the right moment, given the differing typings of the regular and Mega forms. Regular Gyarados can make use of its Water/Flying type to take advantage of its Bug and Fighting resistances to set up Dragon Dance, for instance, as Mega Gyarados is weak to those types. It can also lure in Wash Rotom with the regular form, then Mega Evolve to strike it with Mold Breaker Earthquake.

Ahh makes sense. I like Scrappy Kangaskhan/Mega Khan for a similar reason. I don't feel the need to explain because you seem quite educated in Pokemon so it'd just be a waste of time. As you can probably tell from my other posts, I mostly play Ubers Tier :P.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for the help i just hatched a shiny and it had the perfect ivs but no speed boost ;(

If you have the mega stone for it, you can use that to circumvent the problem; Blaziken gains Speed Boost upon mega evolving.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Not necessarily, you can run it as a more bulky Pokémon. You could try this set:

Charizard@CharizarditeX
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Tough Claws
    EVs: 252 Speed/136 HP/120 Atk

Will-O-Wisp
    Roost
    Flare Blitz
    Dragon Claw

This is a more bulky set that allows CharX to take more hits and then Roost off the damage, and cripple physical attackers with Wow.

oh ok that would be good but then ill have to choose a differnt sweeper wouldnt i?i am thinking of breeding a timid charmander and the trading the Y mega stone for him

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    oh ok that would be good but then ill have to choose a differnt sweeper wouldnt i?i am thinking of breeding a timid charmander and the trading the Y mega stone for him

Going by species clause, only 1 Charizard can be on the team, but you may already know that.

Anyway, here's the ideal set for Charizard Y:
    -Fire Blast
    -Solar Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Dragon Pulse/Roost
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    So finally got my final ingame team together and now I am just leveling and teaching the moves and working my way to the elite four, I got 5 badges at the moment and at the 6th getting ready to enter! I am posting this just to get input and if you guys think this team will serve me well throughout the game! Keep in mind I wanted to spread all HMs theough my team so the HMs will NOT be removed from my movesets! But anyways here it is:

Please Note: My Mawile is my mega of choice but I cant get Mega Mawile stone until after the elite four so unfortunately I won't have any Mega Pokémon until after I complete the Elite Four and find the stone for her!

Mishima (Greninja)[Female]: Moveset - Surf, Waterfall, Extrasensory, Grass Knot
    Lynx (Linoone)[Female]: Moveset - Return, Strength, Dig, Shadow Claw
    Katzuko (Talonflame)[Female]: Moveset - Roost, Brave Bird, Fly, Flare Blitz
    Cthulu (Malamar)[Female]: Moveset - Cut, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Hypnosis
    Venus (Mawile)[Female]: Moveset - Power-Up Punch, Iron Head, Play Rough, Sucker Punch
    Frostbite (Mamoswine)[Female]: Moveset - Ice Shard, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Rock Slide

On my Mawile, I swap Power-Up Punch for False Swipe when I go to catch Pokémon then switch back after my catching is complete! I don't use False Swipe for trainer battles, once I am out of the battle with the wild Pokémon and it was successfully caught I remove False Swipe for my Power-Up Punch! It works nicely with Malamar's Hypnosis! :D

What do you guys think? Will I be okay ingame?

Thanks so much!

UB3R_N00B

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So finally got my final ingame team together and now I am just leveling and teaching the moves and working my way to the elite four, I got 5 badges at the moment and at the 6th getting ready to enter! I am posting this just to get input and if you guys think this team will serve me well throughout the game! Keep in mind I wanted to spread all HMs theough my team so the HMs will NOT be removed from my movesets! But anyways here it is:

Please Note: My Mawile is my mega of choice but I cant get Mega Mawile stone until after the elite four so unfortunately I won't have any Mega Pokémon until after I complete the Elite Four and find the stone for her!

Mishima (Greninja)[Female]: Moveset - Surf, Waterfall, Extrasensory, Grass Knot
    Lynx (Linoone)[Female]: Moveset - Return, Strength, Dig, Shadow Claw
    Katzuko (Talonflame)[Female]: Moveset - Roost, Brave Bird, Fly, Flare Blitz
    Cthulu (Malamar)[Female]: Moveset - Cut, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Hypnosis
    Venus (Mawile)[Female]: Moveset - Power-Up Punch, Iron Head, Play Rough, Sucker Punch
    Frostbite (Mamoswine)[Female]: Moveset - Ice Shard, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Rock Slide

On my Mawile, I swap Power-Up Punch for False Swipe when I go to catch Pokémon then switch back after my catching is complete! I don't use False Swipe for trainer battles, once I am out of the battle with the wild Pokémon and it was successfully caught I remove False Swipe for my Power-Up Punch! It works nicely with Malamar's Hypnosis! :D

What do you guys think? Will I be okay ingame?

Thanks so much!

UB3R_N00B
    Looks good to me. The only thing is maybe to remove cut from Malamar and teach it something else. Cut is a crappy move, and you hardly ever need it outside of battle. should be able to teach it Superpower, which works nicely with its Contrary ability.

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    It has suction cups for future chain fishing, and I am keeping all HMs on my ingame team. I like knowing I can make it anywhere without worrying about having to go back to the pokemon center to find a cut pokemon then needing to run the whole way back. Thanks for the information though! Everything else is okay there?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It has suction cups for future chain fishing, and I am keeping all HMs on my ingame team. I like knowing I can make it anywhere without worrying about having to go back to the pokemon center to find a cut pokemon then needing to run the whole way back. Thanks for the information though! Everything else is okay there?

Oh, don't use Superpower then. I still say remove Cut. You've probably already cut down 99% of the cuttable trees in Kalos, and once you have cut them down and gotten whatever item was being blocked off, there is zero reason to cut down that tree again. And there isn't a whole lotta cuttable trees in Kalos either.

And yes, the rest of your team is good.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

You should be fine, as long as your team isnt underleveled. The elite 4 is quite easy as long as you stack up on healing items. It would probably be easy to beat the elite four with all NU Pokémon, so I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm building an experimental team on Showdown at the moment...one which focuses on Baton Passing a couple Swords Dances (and a few speed boosts) onto a physical Greninja to sweep late-game. I've already got:

MegaGengar:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Wave
    -Thunderbolt
    -Taunt
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Def/252 Spd
    Item: Gengarite

Speed Boost Scolipede:
    -Protect
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -Baton Pass
    EVs: 248 HP/208 Sp.Def/52 Spd
    Item: Mental Herb

Protean Greninja:
    -Waterfall
    -Night Slash
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Rock Slide
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

...but I need some ideas for my hazard lead and the two other slots keeping in mind I've already got a bit of a psychic weakness going

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm building an experimental team on Showdown at the moment...one which focuses on Baton Passing a couple Swords Dances (and a few speed boosts) onto a physical Greninja to sweep late-game. I've already got:

MegaGengar:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Wave
    -Thunderbolt
    -Taunt
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Def/252 Spd
    Item: Gengarite

Speed Boost Scolipede:
    -Protect
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -Baton Pass
    EVs: 248 HP/208 Sp.Def/52 Spd
    Item: Mental Herb

Protean Greninja:
    -Waterfall
    -Night Slash
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Rock Slide

...but I need some ideas for my hazard lead and the two other slots keeping in mind I've already got a bit of a psychic weakness going
    Mega Gengar is banned, more specifically, the Gengarite is banned. You'll have to make do with regular Gengar with Life Orb or Focus Sash. And I'd use Destiny Bond over Taunt so that any opponent that fails to get KOed by Gengar's attacks will be dragged down with it.

I wouldn't use physical Greninja if I were you. Its physical move pool is weaker than its special one; that, and 95 Attack isn't the best stat to be sweeping with. There are many slow/average-paced physical attackers that benefit from having Scolipede's Speed Boost Baton Passed to them, such as Mega Heracross, Mega Medicham, Breloom, (all three leave you more vulnerable to Talonflame), Bisharp, Excadrill, Azumarill and Mamoswine.

Mega Heracross:
    -Pin Missile
    -Close Combat
    -Rock Blast
    -Earthquake/Swords Dance
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe
    Item: Heracronite
    Ability: Guts/Moxie

Mega Medicham:
    -High Jump Kick
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    -Fake Out/Substitute
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Medichamite
    Ability: Pure Power

Breloom:
    -Bullet Seed
    -Mach Punch
    -Rock Tomb
    -Spore
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Technician

Bisharp:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Pursuit/Swords Dance
    Item: Black Glasses/Dread Plate/Life Orb
    Ability: Defiant

Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Rock Slide/Stealth Rock
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon
    Ability: Mold Breaker

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Choice Scarf) or 120 HP/136 Atk/252 SDef (Assault Vest; Adamant only)
    Item: Choice Scarf/Assault Vest
    Ability: Mold Breaker

Azumarill:
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Superpower
    EVs: 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spe
    Item: Choice Band/Splash Plate/Mystic Water
    Ability: Huge Power

Mamoswine:
    -Earthquake
    -Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear
    -Ice Shard
    -Freeze-Dry/Superpower
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 244 Atk/12 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Thick Fat

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard
    -Endeavor
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Oblivious

An ideal hazard lead is Deoxys (Defense or Speed):

Defense:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes
    -Taunt
    -Thunder Wave/Magic Coat
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Red Card/Mental Herb

or
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Seismic Toss/Night Shade
    -Taunt
    -Recover
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/244 Def/12 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Speed:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes
    -Ice Beam
    -Knock Off/Superpower/Psycho Boost
    Nature: Naive/Timid
    EVs: 24 Atk/232 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    I plan on using two separate Relic Song Meloetta, a Jolly and
    Hasty
    (I was advised to use Naive before, but I decided to just soft-reset for either Hasty or Naive nature with enough speed IVs to outspeed positive base 120 while in Pirouette.)
    one. I need advice on movesets/items for both of them.

They don't have viable Hidden Power. They're not for any specific tier, and my main concern is that I don't want to transfer them over to XY and regret not having given them move tutors. Thanks in advanced. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I plan on using two separate Relic Song Meloetta, a Jolly and
    Hasty
    (I was advised to use Naive before, but I decided to just soft-reset for either Hasty or Naive nature with enough speed IVs to outspeed positive base 120 while in Pirouette.)
    one. I need advice on movesets/items for both of them.

They don't have viable Hidden Power. They're not for any specific tier, and my main concern is that I don't want to transfer them over to XY and regret not having given them move tutors. Thanks in advanced. :)

The Hasty one is better because if Meloetta opts for Relic Song, it's best for it to go mixed rather than fully physical, since being walled by Gliscor and Skarmory would stink big-time:
    -Relic Song
    -Close Combat
    -Thunder/Shadow Ball
    -Psychic/Hidden Power (Ice)/Ice Punch
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 64 Atk/252 SAtk/192 Spe
    Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2015
    I need help with movesets for these pokemon:
    Politoad Modest
    Machamp Careful
    Nidoking Modest

Was thinking of using assault vest for politoad and machamp

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I need help with movesets for these pokemon:
    Politoad Modest
    Machamp Careful
    Nidoking Modest

Was thinking of using assault vest for politoad and machamp

Machamp is best as Adamant, and anything it can do, Conkeldurr can do better.

Politoed and Nidoking, are spot-on, though:

Politoed:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Hypnosis/Psychic/Scald
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
    Item: Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle

Nidoking:
    -Sludge Wave