• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Anyone know what the standard Klefki ev spread would be?
    There is no such thing as a standard Klefki. As with Meowstic it heavily depends on if you are running Screens or not and what you want to survive. Like Meowstic, Klefki does not have enough EVs in order to cover everything you need.

EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
    Bold Nature

Note, that is by no means standard but a custom spread we have made on the fly.
    Survives Mega-Kangaskhan's Fake Out and Garchomp's Earthquake but lacks SDef in order to perform good against Rotom-H and Charizard-Y - to be honest, if you want to go against those two you probably are better off with Meowstic. Rotom-W cannot 2HKO it at least.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What would be good moveset for adamant cacturne and timid lucario

I don't know about Cacturne's effectiveness, given its low Speed and frailty, but here goes:
    -Spikes
    -Seed Bomb
    -Sucker Punch
    -Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Lucario (assuming X/Y):
    -Nasty Plot
    -Aura Sphere
    -Flash Cannon
    -Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse/Vacuum Wave
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Lucarionite

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    There is no such thing as a standard Klefki. As with Meowstic it heavily depends on if you are running Screens or not and what you want to survive. Like Meowstic, Klefki does not have enough EVs in order to cover everything you need.

EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
    Bold Nature

Note, that is by no means standard but a custom spread we have made on the fly.
    Survives Mega-Kangaskhan's Fake Out and Garchomp's Earthquake but lacks SDef in order to perform good against Rotom-H and Charizard-Y - to be honest, if you want to go against those two you probably are better off with Meowstic. Rotom-W cannot 2HKO it at least.

Im going with Klefki because Meow still seems to get slaughtered. Even with bulkier evs

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    What's a good defensive/support set for Fairy Arceus?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    What's a good defensive/support set for Fairy Arceus?
    It is kind of hard to tell whether we would use it over Leftovers Arceus, but let's give it a shot.

Arceus @ Pixie Plate
    Ability: Multitype
    Level: 50
    EVs: 172 Spd / 252 HP / 84 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Roar / Defog
    - Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

Being immune to Draco Meteor is surely a huge perk. This speed allows you to outpace Kyurem-W, the rest it put into defense. You might want to avoid picking both Toxic and Roar for obvious reasons.
    If you decide to run Flamethrower or Fire Blast, put at least 220 into speed in order to outrun Banded Genesect who might ruin your day. That amount is also enough in order to beat Palkia. Othere options are obviously Perish Song instead of Roar or Stealth Rocks.

PlatinumDude, your amount of speed seems to be a bit random. You barely loose to all the base 90-er, so we don't see the point of investing in speed at all.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It is kind of hard to tell whether we would use it over Leftovers Arceus, but let's give it a shot.

Arceus @ Pixie Plate
    Ability: Multitype
    EVs: 172 Spd / 252 HP / 84 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Roar / Defog
    - Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

Being immune to Draco Meteor is surely a huge perk. This speed allows you to outpace Kyurem-W, the rest it put into defense. You might want to avoid picking both Toxic and Roar for obvious reasons.
    If you decide to run Flamethrower or Fire Blast, put at least 220 into speed in order to outrun Banded Genesect who might ruin your day. That amount is also enough in order to beat Palkia. Othere options are obviously Perish Song instead of Roar or Stealth Rocks.

PlatinumDude, your amount of speed seems to be a bit random. You barely loose to all the base 90-er, so we don't see the point of investing in speed at all.
    Timid + 112 Speed EVs lets Fairy Arceus outspeed things up to Jolly Garchomp, which in turn, lets it outspeed Palkia, as well as the many base 95/99 Speed Pokemon like Xerneas, Yveltal, Rayquaza and White Kyurem.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Right, we have read the wrong nature. It looked a bit weird because Arceus is capable of outrunning Jolly Garchomp with a neutral nature just fine. Either Timid or Bold could do the job.
    Anyway, Garchomp is probably one of the lesser concerns considering how underused it is. At least we consider it underused when it appears on less than 5% of the teams. Even then, it mostly is a Scarf-Revengekiller because if its speed and is a physical attacker, ergo not very threatening thanks to WoW (does 38% at best).

Years
    where to put EVs; mega kangaskhan

i'm working on a mega kangaskhan for my competitive team.
    I managed to get an adamant nature and 31 ivs in everything except special attack.
    where should I put the EVs? im thinking attack, and something else.

speed came to mind first but should I do hp or defense instead? what's your opinion?
    :D

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
    Years
    I've been wanting to do Talonflame for a long time now, and ended up with a few move sets:
    (I don't really care about items, EV spreads or abilities at the moment. I will use whatever complements the moves)
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -Steel Wing
    -Roost

-WoW
    -Tailwind
    -Roost
    -U-turn/Brave Bird

Obviously, the first is a more late-game sweeper, the second support. I know not many people are using Steel Wing, but I wanted to try it out for Fairy coverage. For the second, I am liking the first three moves, but can't decide on the last slot. U-turn would be nice to keep momentum, but priority, thanks to Gale Wings, in Brave Bird is quite appealing. Any thoughts?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    i'm working on a mega kangaskhan for my competitive team.
    I managed to get an adamant nature and 31 ivs in everything except special attack.
    where should I put the EVs? im thinking attack, and something else.

speed came to mind first but should I do hp or defense instead? what's your opinion?
    :D
    Just use max Attack, max Speed. Jolly is worth considering for the extra speed boost.
    I've been wanting to do Talonflame for a long time now, and ended up with a few move sets:
    (I don't really care about items, EV spreads or abilities at the moment. I will use whatever complements the moves)
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -Steel Wing
    -Roost

-WoW
    -Tailwind
    -Roost
    -U-turn/Brave Bird

Obviously, the first is a more late-game sweeper, the second support. I know not many people are using Steel Wing, but I wanted to try it out for Fairy coverage. For the second, I am liking the first three moves, but can't decide on the last slot. U-turn would be nice to keep momentum, but priority, thanks to Gale Wings, in Brave Bird is quite appealing. Any thoughts?
    Don't even think about using Steel Wing on Talonflame. Tyranitar can take one and Talonflame still can't do much to Heatran; it should just let teammates handle them. Talonflame's main niche is revenge killing with Brave Bird and your second set doesn't even accomplish that. Here are the superior sets for Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Roost/Tailwind
    Item: Choice Band/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate

or
    -Bulk Up
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    -Will-o-Wisp/Taunt/Substitute
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Last edited:
    Years
    Just use max Attack, max Speed. Jolly is worth considering for the extra speed boost.

ok thanks, I will consider jolly as I think I have some jolly dittoes layin around.
    on the topic of mega kangaskhan, what is your opinion on moveset?
    I was thinking:
    fake out
    power up punch
    earthquake or maybe bulldoze? it would lower speed twice
    dizzy punch

(is return still viable?)
    I also thought about giga impact since it will hit twice and recharge once which seem pretty nice

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    ok thanks, I will consider jolly as I think I have some jolly dittoes layin around.
    on the topic of mega kangaskhan, what is your opinion on moveset?
    I was thinking:
    fake out
    power up punch
    earthquake or maybe bulldoze? it would lower speed twice
    dizzy punch

(is return still viable?)
    I also thought about giga impact since it will hit twice and recharge once which seem pretty nice
    Don't think about Giga Impact. It's not worth using because the charge-up turn is better spent on another attack. Don't use Fake Out and Power-Up Punch together; this leaves Kangaskhan with a bit of 4-moveslot syndrome. Earthquake is the superior option over Bulldoze because of its greater power and Mega Khan can take care of faster opponents with Sucker Punch. Return >>> Dizzy Punch; relying on confusion is unreliable:
    -Fake Out/Power-Up Punch
    -Return
    -Sucker Punch
    -Earthquake/Crunch
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy

Years
    Don't think about Giga Impact. It's not worth using because the charge-up turn is better spent on another attack. Don't use Fake Out and Power-Up Punch together; this leaves Kangaskhan with a bit of 4-moveslot syndrome. Earthquake is the superior option over Bulldoze because of its greater power and Mega Khan can take care of faster opponents with Sucker Punch. Return >>> Dizzy Punch; relying on confusion is unreliable:
    -Fake Out/Power-Up Punch
    -Return
    -Sucker Punch
    -Earthquake/Crunch
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy
    o man, this was very helpful, ty dude.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    Skarmory is recommended to run 224 HP to regain Sturdy after 2 turns of leftovers... why does this amount of EVs make this work? How many EVs I'll need for the same effect at lv50? Are there any online sources which teach this? I feel like there should be yet I can't seem to find one.

Is there a magic number for Regenerator?

Edit: I tried experimenting on showdown and I'm guessing its 212 HP EVs, such that its HP = integer*16 + 9 ? @_@ If so why would that be the case?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Skarmory is recommended to run 224 HP to regain Sturdy after 2 turns of leftovers... why does this amount of EVs make this work? How many EVs I'll need for the same effect at lv50? Are there any online sources which teach this? I feel like there should be yet I can't seem to find one.

Is there a magic number for Regenerator?

Edit: I tried experimenting on showdown and I'm guessing its 212 HP EVs, such that its HP = integer*16 + 9 ? @_@ If so why would that be the case?
    167 HP; at 167 HP you take and recover from

167 / 8 = 20.875, 20 damage
    167 / 16 = 10.4375, 10 damage

The result is

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SDef
    Impish Nature

Note: Maybe it is useful to decrease the speed IVs to 19 IV in order to underspeed Scizor which allows you to Roost without getting Superpowered while at the same time still being faster than Tyranitar.

Ignore Regenerator, there are no damage dealing hazards that deal 1/3 to health. There is a situational case with subs, but give us a bit more time to explain.

If you want to generate at least as much HP in three switches as with four subs, then your HP number needs to be 3 points higher or lower than a multiple of 12. Nothing new, expect for the multiple of 12.

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    167 HP; at 167 HP you take and recover from

167 / 8 = 20.875, 20 damage
    167 / 16 = 10.4375, 10 damage.
    That makes sense, how two turns of 10 HP recovery would make up for 20 HP taken. :) What's the easiest approach to figure this out? Say if I were to ever want to figure it out for any other Sturdy user who takes 1/8 damage from SR.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    That makes sense, how two turns of 10 HP recovery would make up for 20 HP taken. :) What's the easiest approach to figure this out? Say if I were to ever want to figure it out for any other Sturdy user who takes 1/8 damage from SR.
    Writing an algorithm, we assume. I am currenty out of time but we will come back in seven hours. Maybe you will find it out in the meantime, otherwise we will do it.

Got it - we did it with the algorithm. What is the result of (HP / 16) * 2 >= (HP / 8) when HP is an integer?

HPoptimal = 16 * x + b
    b = [0, 7]

In other words: The HP needs to be a multiple of 16, a multiple of 16 plus 7 or something inbetween.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back