• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2014
    Bullet punch or Extremespeed? (Mega Luc)

Hey guys.
    I'm running a physical Mega Lucario on my team, the moves so far are:

Close Combat
    Swords Dance
    Crunch

Right now I'm trying to decide on whether to have bullet punch or extremespeed as a priority move. They both have the same power (after adaptability). Bullet punch lets me check Mega Aerodactyl and many fairy types, but many fast pokemon resist it (starmie, talonflame, etc.). Extremespeed doesn't have that problem, but is stopped by steel, rock and ghost types.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey guys.
    I'm running a physical Mega Lucario on my team, the moves so far are:

Close Combat
    Swords Dance
    Crunch

Right now I'm trying to decide on whether to have bullet punch or extremespeed as a priority move. They both have the same power (after adaptability). Bullet punch lets me check Mega Aerodactyl and many fairy types, but many fast pokemon resist it (starmie, talonflame, etc.). Extremespeed doesn't have that problem, but is stopped by steel, rock and ghost types.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :)

Extreme Speed is helpful if you want the +2 priority or the jump on Talonflame's Brave Bird, but Bullet Punch has the coverage. Really, it depends on what you have a harder time with.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Extreme Speed is helpful if you want the +2 priority or the jump on Talonflame's Brave Bird, but Bullet Punch has the coverage. Really, it depends on what you have a harder time with.

To add on to that, it depends a bit on the rest of your team. If they already cover the stuff Bullet Punch would, go with Extreme Speed. If your team doesn't have much for dealing with Mega Aerodactyl and Faires but can handle stuff like Talonflame or Starmie, roll with Bullet Punch.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2014
    Right, I guess that makes sense. It didn't occur to me to think of it that way. I'll be going with BP then, thanks! :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Do 31 IVs mean 31 more stat points?Do they give a big advantage?

At level 100 you'll have 31 more points. So let's say you have 2 Garchomps. One with 0 Attack IVs, one with 31 Attack IVs. At level 100, the second Garchomp will have 31 more Attack than the first one (assuming they both have the same nature and EVs). At level 50, you'd be getting a bonus of 15-16 points.

....How much of an advantage/how useful perfect IVs are is debatable.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Been experimenting, with some success if I may add, with a Meloetta on Showdown. I've been running Assault Vest, as I'm not using a Calm Mind set or anything, and she's been tanking pretty well. But with a mixed attacking set, not really sure what EVs to run. The one's I've been running are purely random, just more Sp.ATK than ATK. I do usually have rain support, and Serene Grace Thunder is pretty deadly.

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 176 SAtk / 252 HP / 80 Atk
    Mild Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Psychic
    - Thunder
    - Relic Song

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Been experimenting, with some success if I may add, with a Meloetta on Showdown. I've been running Assault Vest, as I'm not using a Calm Mind set or anything, and she's been tanking pretty well. But with a mixed attacking set, not really sure what EVs to run. The one's I've been running are purely random, just more Sp.ATK than ATK. I do usually have rain support, and Serene Grace Thunder is pretty deadly.

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 176 SAtk / 252 HP / 80 Atk
    Mild Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Psychic
    - Thunder
    - Relic Song

Hasty nature is preferred on this Meloetta to take advantage of its Pirouette forme's high Speed. The EV spread should be 64 Atk/252 SAtk/192 Spe. This gives it enough Speed to outspeed max Speed Therian Landorus in Aria Forme and Alakazam/Dugtrio in Pirouette forme (it loses out to Greninja, sadly).

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2014
    Raising Vespiqueen tips?

I'm trying to raise a Vespiqueen on Pokemon Ruby Destiny - Reign of Legends, and I was wondering if anybody had some tips for me. If this helps, this is its summary.

Level: 52
    Nature: Impish

HP:150
    Attack: 111
    Defense: 135
    Sp Attack: 92
    Sp Defense: 126
    Speed: 70

Move Set:

-Destiny Bond
    -Hyper Beam
    -Toxic
    -Aerial Ace

Thanks in advance. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm trying to raise a Vespiqueen on Pokemon Ruby Destiny - Reign of Legends, and I was wondering if anybody had some tips for me. If this helps, this is its summary.

Level: 52

HP:150
    Attack: 111
    Defense: 135
    Sp Attack: 92
    Sp Defense: 126
    Speed: 70

Move Set:

-Destiny Bond
    -Hyper Beam
    -Toxic
    -Aerial Ace

Thanks in advance. :)
    I'm not sure if raising a Pokemon in a hack would count, but here goes.

Vespiquen isn't a good Pokemon because while it has good defenses, its bad defensive typing, which has common weaknesses, drags it down:
    -Substitute
    -Roost
    -Attack Order
    -Toxic
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/96 Def/164 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Should I use a Gyrados with Moxie, or Intimidate for standard DD Set? What Moves is he using this Gen? (not mega)

Advice on using Krookodile as a sweeper? He only gets Knock Off is Showdown so far.. but that is part of what makes him awesome! Should I just wait for Bank?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Should I use a Gyrados with Moxie, or Intimidate for standard DD Set? What Moves is he using this Gen? (not mega)

Advice on using Krookodile as a sweeper? He only gets Knock Off is Showdown so far.. but that is part of what makes him awesome! Should I just wait for Bank?

Moxie is preferred on offensive DD Gyarados; Intimidate is preferred on bulky Dragon Dance or defensive Gyarados:

Offensive:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Bounce/Stone Edge
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Moxie

Bulky:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce/Earthquake
    -Substitute/Taunt
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 120 HP/64 Atk/100 Def/224 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate

Defensive:
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Waterfall
    -Roar/Dragon Tail
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Atk/252 Def
    Ability: Intimidate

Offensive Krookodile is best played late-game. And yes, you may have to wait for Bank for this:
    -Earthquake
    -Knock Off
    -Pursuit
    -Stone Edge
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Moxie

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Do people really only play by the VGC rules these days?

So, during the Gen 4 era people used to complain all the time about me having a Darkrai & Mewtwo on my team. They'd always yell things like, "LOLOLOLO YOU N00B STOP USING UBERS!!11!1!ONE!!1!1!!!" During the Gen 5 era I had pretty much had it & thought, "**** it, I'm getting rid of all the ubers on my team." Although, I should mention that during the Gen 5 era I didn't battle people I met on forums nearly as much as I did on Gen 4.

So, here's the thing. My team had no ubers on it. However, what it did have is a Land Form Shaymin & a Jirachi. While these Pokemon are not uber, they are in fact banned by the VGC rules. A few weeks ago I learned from my friend whom I was visiting that during the Gen 5 era people stop giving a **** about the Smogon rules, (which I believe the concept of ubers originated from,) & started only battling people if they followed the VGC rules. Apparently I missed all of this.

So, is that true? Will people not battle me if I'm using Pokemon banned by the VGCs?

Thanks,
    PM260

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    It depends on who you battle. Just ask people ahead of time what rules they prefer. Smogon's OU is generally the most popular, though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    Quick question.

Just finishing up a Noivern. Max SpA and Spe. Atm it has Frisk but I might switch the ability. Anyway I'm wondering on the moveset?

D. Meteor
    Boomburst
    Taunt

I can't decide between STAB Air Slash or Flamethrower for coverage.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Quick question.

Just finishing up a Noivern. Max SpA and Spe. Atm it has Frisk but I might switch the ability. Anyway I'm wondering on the moveset?

D. Meteor
    Boomburst
    Taunt

I can't decide between STAB Air Slash or Flamethrower for coverage.
    Don't bother with Boomburst; while it has the raw power, it doesn't have the coverage. Noivern is best played as a fast scout, IMO:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast
    -Switcheroo/Hurricane/U-turn
    Nature: Timid/Naive
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Frisk/Infiltrator

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast
    -U-turn/Roost
    Nature: Naive/Timid
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Frisk/Infiltrator

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Maybe you should go with Flamethrower. It should be able to take down plenty of ice-types with that, which Noivern is four-times weak against. If you want, you could also try Roost.

Edit: Nevermind; PlatinumDude beat me to it. xD

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years

• Well written, too long to quote. Yep. Singles Smogon is still the most popular ruleset around. The reason why VGC has become more and more popular is because that's what the official tournament format revolves around, so you will be seeing more and more people battling doubles VGC. Still, we're on the internet and for the most part, singles play still drastically outnumber VGC. Before you battle with anyone, decide on the rules. Voila! Happy players.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back