• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • id consider haxorus the biggest threat in uu atm. sd breaks stall so easily. just some prior damage on the fairy (usually aromatisse, but granbulls coming up), and its gone(aromatisse tends to take knock offs too, and hippo isnt an uncommon mon on stalls). sableye is just a ♥♥♥♥.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What are good Talonflame and Chesnaught builds? Talonflame seems to be very fast, and by looking at the statistics the preferred Nature is Adamant with Brave Bird being the most commonly known move amongst it. Not sure what Chesnaught's good points are.

Years
  • bravebird, sd, flare blitz, roost/uturn

wow, brave bird, roost, whatever

brave bird, roost, flare blitz, bulk up

chesnaught should run something like spikes, leech seed, spiky shield, a STAB of your choice

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What are good Talonflame and Chesnaught builds? Talonflame seems to be very fast, and by looking at the statistics the preferred Nature is Adamant with Brave Bird being the most commonly known move amongst it. Not sure what Chesnaught's good points are.

bravebird, sd, flare blitz, roost/uturn

chesnaught should run something like spikes, leech seed, spiky shield, a STAB of your choice
    While I hate to repeat what Moxie said, I'd like to add in natures, EVs items and abilities as well to expand. Other potential Talonflame sets will be included too, as Swords Dance and Bulk Up aren't the only viable sets:

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Tailwind/Roost
    Item: Choice Band/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate

or
    -Bulk Up
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Natural Gift
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe
    Item: Liechi Berry/Salac Berry

or
    -Brave Bird
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Chesnaught:
    -Leech Seed
    -Spiky Shield
    -Hammer Arm
    -Spikes/Wood Hammer
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Bulletproof

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    bravebird, sd, flare blitz, roost/uturn

While I hate to repeat what Moxie said, I'd like to add in natures, EVs items and abilities as well to expand. Other potential Talonflame sets will be included too, as Swords Dance and Bulk Up aren't the only viable sets.
    How do you set up with Swords Dance on an offensive Talonflame? It seems like it would rely on being able to get KOs before the opponent manages to damage it, which means Swords Dance would leave it vulnerable on that turn (depending on the opponent). The only thing I can think of to get around this is Mat Block by a fast ally.

EDIT: If the opponent doesn't use a supereffective move then Talonflame may be able to survive and take them out on the next turn because of the Attack boost, but it seems risky.

EDIT 2: On the Tailwind one, wouldn't you be able to take some EVs out of Speed and into something else, because when you use Tailwind it's gonna put speed up and Gale Wings will make Tailwind go first.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    How do you set up with Swords Dance on an offensive Talonflame? It seems like it would rely on being able to get KOs before the opponent manages to damage it, which means Swords Dance would leave it vulnerable on that turn (depending on the opponent). The only thing I can think of to get around this is Mat Block by a fast ally.

EDIT: If the opponent doesn't use a supereffective move then Talonflame may be able to survive and take them out on the next turn because of the Attack boost, but it seems risky.

EDIT 2: On the Tailwind one, wouldn't you be able to take some EVs out of Speed and into something else, because when you use Tailwind it's gonna put speed up and Gale Wings will make Tailwind go first.
    You usually bring in a boosting Talonflame on a predicted resisted hit (particularly Grass or Bug)/ on something deathly afraid of Talonflame (like Ferrothorn, for example), especially after a poke has been KO'd. You then can set up while the opponent switches out.

Tailwind is usually meant to be Talonflame's parting gift to its team before dying; its not meant to give Talon even more Speed (since its already fast as hell with base 123 Speed and Gale Wings).

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    You usually bring in a boosting Talonflame on a predicted resisted hit (particularly Grass or Bug)/ on something deathly afraid of Talonflame (like Ferrothorn, for example), especially after a poke has been KO'd. You then can set up while the opponent switches out.

Tailwind is usually meant to be Talonflame's parting gift to its team before dying; its not meant to give Talon even more Speed (since its already fast as hell with base 123 Speed and Gale Wings).
    I see. I can definitely understand the usefulness of Tailwind, because some of the Pokés I've got (W. Rotom and Clefable) are defensive and therefore usually end up moving second to the opponent.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    I am trying to train up a Modest Lucario in my Soul Silver. Can someone tell me if these stats look alright?
    lvl 41
    ability: steadfast
    hp- 115
    atk- 97
    defense- 73
    sp atk- 117
    sp def- 69
    spd- 90

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What is a good Infernape (my fave Poké) build? Its Attack and Special Attack match exactly, as well as its Defense and Special Defense, though I imagine it to be a good Physical (not sure).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What is a good Infernape (my fave Poké) build? Its Attack and Special Attack match exactly, as well as its Defense and Special Defense, though I imagine it to be a good Physical (not sure).

Infernape is better off mixed to set itself apart from Terrakion and Keldeo. It can also pull off a surprise defensive set:
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Mach Punch/Thunder Punch
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 168 Atk/88 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Overheat
    -Close Combat
    -Endeavor
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 168 Atk/88 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Close Combat
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 212 HP/4 Atk/252 Def/40 Spe
    Ability: Blaze

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    ok so i have this ursaring that i iv bred myself. perfect ivs in HP, Atk, Def, Spcl. Def, and Spd. With the moves Earthquake, Play Rough (so it can atleast do some major damage to a fighting type before getting KO'ed) Rest (to regain HP) and Sleep talk (so im not just sitting there doing nothing). Now the reason i did the rest and sleep talk is because the ability is quick feet which should make its speed stat go up 1 stage when it gets inflicted with a status move right? Well using rest doesnt make me increase my speed which doesnt make sense because it has a status condition. can someone help me please?

and if this ability worked like i thought it would, and rest lasts for only 2 turns, i could totally get my speed up and using the choice band (not the one that is only for one move or use or whatever it is) my attack would be amazing. but why wont the ability work?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ok so i have this ursaring that i iv bred myself. perfect ivs in HP, Atk, Def, Spcl. Def, and Spd. With the moves Earthquake, Play Rough (so it can atleast do some major damage to a fighting type before getting KO'ed) Rest (to regain HP) and Sleep talk (so im not just sitting there doing nothing). Now the reason i did the rest and sleep talk is because the ability is quick feet which should make its speed stat go up 1 stage when it gets inflicted with a status move right? Well using rest doesnt make me increase my speed which doesnt make sense because it has a status condition. can someone help me please?

and if this ability worked like i thought it would, and rest lasts for only 2 turns, i could totally get my speed up and using the choice band (not the one that is only for one move or use or whatever it is) my attack would be amazing. but why wont the ability work?

Ursaring should use Toxic Orb to make use of Quick Feet; RestTalk is simply unreliable. While Play Rough and Earthquake have good coverage together, they lack STAB on Ursaring. Doing so will make it miss out on the raw power that Facade provides; the below set has good neutral coverage:
    -Facade
    -Earthquake/Close Combat
    -Crunch
    -Protect/Swords Dance
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Quick Feet

Play Rough isn't worth it on Ursaring; a STAB neutral statused Facade outdamages a 2x super effective Play Rough:

252 Atk Ursaring Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 238-280 (61.9 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 276-325 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quick Feet boosts Speed by 1.5x when the user is afflicted by non-infatuation/confusion status. At level 100, Jolly Ursaring hits 229 Speed (maximum, assuming 31 IVs in Speed), which will be boosted to 343 when it's statused. While this Speed is rather good, Ursaring is still outsped by base 108 Speed Pokemon and above with +Speed natures. Or you just didn't invest in Speed at all. Ursaring needs Speed investment to make the most out of Quick Feet; otherwise, it's still slow even with the Quick Feet boost.

Last edited:

iPika

Crytec
    Years
  • Hi guys. I realised that my team is as bad as Munchlax's speed. I need some recommendations on what to do. This is my RU team.
    Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
    Ability: No Guard
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sacred Sword
    - Gyro Ball

Ambipom (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Aerial Ace
    - Knock Off
    - Return
    - U-turn

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Punch

Moltres @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Roost

Clawitzer @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mega Launcher
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
    Mild Nature
    - Aura Sphere
    - Dark Pulse
    - U-turn
    - Scald

Drapion @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sniper
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Taunt
    - Swords Dance
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab

What should I remove and what should I add? Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi guys. I realised that my team is as bad as Munchlax's speed. I need some recommendations on what to do. This is my RU team.
    Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
    Ability: No Guard
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sacred Sword
    - Gyro Ball

Ambipom (M) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Aerial Ace
    - Knock Off
    - Return
    - U-turn

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Punch

Moltres @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Roost

Clawitzer @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mega Launcher
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
    Mild Nature
    - Aura Sphere
    - Dark Pulse
    - U-turn
    - Scald

Drapion @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Taunt
    - Swords Dance
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab

What should I remove and what should I add? Thanks!
    44 Speed EVs let Doublade outspeed 0 Speed Rhyperior. If that's the case, you shouldn't use Gyro Ball:
    -Swords Dance
    -Iron Head
    -Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
    Item: Eviolite

Ambipom likes the freedom of switching moves, so Choice Band is a no-go:
    -Fake Out
    -Return
    -Low Kick
    -Knock Off
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item; Life Orb

More offensive presence would be preferred for Rhyperior:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Blast
    -Dragon Tail
    EVs: 248 HP/16 Atk/244 SDef

or
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Megahorn
    -Ice Punch
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Rock Polish
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Ice Punch
    Item: Weakness Policy/Life Orb

Since Moltres is weak to Stealth Rock, how about replacing Rhyperior with Sandslash to provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support?:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Knock Off
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def (Adamant) or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Impish)

What does Moltres' EV spread do, really? It could use the extra Speed from Timid and 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe.

Mild doesn't do Clawitzer any favors; that nature compromises its bulk. U-turn is meant for scouting purposes, not for the damage. Try squeezing in Ice Beam somewhere on Clawitzer so it has an easier time with Grass and Dragon Pokemon:
    -Scald/Water Pulse
    -Dark Pulse
    -Ice Beam
    -Aura Sphere/U-turn
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

95 Speed is decent in RU, and you're wasting that away with your current Drapion spread. Bulky Swords Dance Drapion should look something like this:
    -Swords Dance
    -Knock Off
    -Earthquake/Aqua Tail
    -Taunt
    EVs: 160 HP/96 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge/Lum Berry

iPika

Crytec
    Years
  • 44 Speed EVs let Doublade outspeed 0 Speed Rhyperior. If that's the case, you shouldn't use Gyro Ball:
    -Swords Dance
    -Iron Head
    -Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
    Item: Eviolite

Ambipom likes the freedom of switching moves, so Choice Band is a no-go:
    -Fake Out
    -Return
    -Low Kick
    -Knock Off
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item; Life Orb

More offensive presence would be preferred for Rhyperior:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Blast
    -Dragon Tail
    EVs: 248 HP/16 Atk/244 SDef

or
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Megahorn
    -Ice Punch
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Rock Polish
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Ice Punch
    Item: Weakness Policy/Life Orb

Since Moltres is weak to Stealth Rock, how about replacing Rhyperior with Sandslash to provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support?:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Knock Off
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def (Adamant) or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Impish)

What does Moltres' EV spread do, really? It could use the extra Speed from Timid and 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe.

Mild doesn't do Clawitzer any favors; that nature compromises its bulk. U-turn is meant for scouting purposes, not for the damage. Try squeezing in Ice Beam somewhere on Clawitzer so it has an easier time with Grass and Dragon Pokemon:
    -Scald/Water Pulse
    -Dark Pulse
    -Ice Beam
    -Aura Sphere/U-turn
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

95 Speed is decent in RU, and you're wasting that away with your current Drapion spread. Bulky Swords Dance Drapion should look something like this:
    -Swords Dance
    -Knock Off
    -Earthquake/Aqua Tail
    -Taunt
    EVs: 160 HP/96 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge/Lum Berry

Rhyperior isn't the only problem in RU.

Yeah, Ambipom definitely needs more work.

I'm just gonna completely remove Rhyperior cuz he feels like he has no presence at all. Sandslash it is then.

Hmm... I'll try that Moltres spread.

Hmm... Yeah, U-Turn is crap on Clawitzer. No idea why I took Mild.

Hmm... I see.

By the way, should I do something about Moltres and his Hurricane? That 70% accuracy pisses me off.

Thanks a lot, friend!

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    Ursaring should use Toxic Orb to make use of Quick Feet; RestTalk is simply unreliable. While Play Rough and Earthquake have good coverage together, they lack STAB on Ursaring. Doing so will make it miss out on the raw power that Facade provides; the below set has good neutral coverage:
    -Facade
    -Earthquake/Close Combat
    -Crunch
    -Protect/Swords Dance
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Quick Feet

Play Rough isn't worth it on Ursaring; a STAB neutral statused Facade outdamages a 2x super effective Play Rough:

252 Atk Ursaring Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 238-280 (61.9 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 276-325 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quick Feet boosts Speed by 1.5x when the user is afflicted by non-infatuation/confusion status. At level 100, Jolly Ursaring hits 229 Speed (maximum, assuming 31 IVs in Speed), which will be boosted to 343 when it's statused. While this Speed is rather good, Ursaring is still outsped by base 108 Speed Pokemon and above with +Speed natures. Or you just didn't invest in Speed at all. Ursaring needs Speed investment to make the most out of Quick Feet; otherwise, it's still slow even with the Quick Feet boost.

ok first off, i have no idea what stab means. i just now got into competitive battling so i dont know much terminology. Second, I thought rest would be good because it heals you perfectly and heals your status condition. and if i use rest with toxic orb, would that make my poisoned condition go away, come back and give me another speed boost? or does that not work? and i havent EV trained him at all i came here to see if that was a good enough move set and stuff, but my ursaring has adamant nature to boost his attack, and lower his special attack because ursaring doesnt need special attack.
    Anything else i should know?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    ok first off, i have no idea what stab means. i just now got into competitive battling so i dont know much terminology. Second, I thought rest would be good because it heals you perfectly and heals your status condition. and if i use rest with toxic orb, would that make my poisoned condition go away, come back and give me another speed boost? or does that not work? and i havent EV trained him at all i came here to see if that was a good enough move set and stuff, but my ursaring has adamant nature to boost his attack, and lower his special attack because ursaring doesnt need special attack.
    Anything else i should know?

STAB stands for "Same Type Attack Bonus" (or was it boost?). Moves that are the same type as the Pokemon using them get a 50% boost in base power. For example, Bullet Punch will be 50% stronger on a Scizor because it is part Steel.

The issue with using Rest+Sleep Talk is that it randomly selects a move, so you may end up using something you really don't wanna use, and devoting 2 slots to Rest and Sleep Talk means Ursaring is lacking in important coverage moves.

I don't know for sure if Toxic Orb will re-activate after Ursaring wakes up, but I'd imagine it would.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    STAB stands for "Same Type Attack Bonus" (or was it boost?). Moves that are the same type as the Pokemon using them get a 50% boost in base power. For example, Bullet Punch will be 50% stronger on a Scizor because it is part Steel.

The issue with using Rest+Sleep Talk is that it randomly selects a move, so you may end up using something you really don't wanna use, and devoting 2 slots to Rest and Sleep Talk means Ursaring is lacking in important coverage moves.

I don't know for sure if Toxic Orb will re-activate after Ursaring wakes up, but I'd imagine it would.

well i dont have a toxic or burn orb yet. im trying to get it in the battle maison. so ill guess we'll see when i get it

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What's a good Raichu build for my friend? Preferably built around Electro Ball, but if there's anything better ones please advise. Also does Electro Ball count mid-battle stat changes and items that might boost speed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back