• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    Btw, when using a Power item each Pokemon is worth 5 EVS. Thus a hoard would equal 25 EV's per stat. You would only need to fight 11 battles instead of 30. 10 with it on, and one with it off.

If you have Pokerus you only need to fight 6 battles. 5 on 1 off.

Also considering your pokemon is close to 100 it should have recieved a higher stat bonus than 3. Its possible you had already gained EV's from training your Blaziken.
    Perhaps try resetting its EV's?

Theres plenty of berries to reset them, or you can find a reset bag while Super Training.

Ah right, seems possible, but I might also consider breeding a torchic with good IVs so that I can get a better blaziken overall!

Years
  • So right now I'm breeding for a shiny HA bold Squirtle for competitive battle with at least one iv (sp. atk). And I want to know, how is the moveset I thought of?

Rain Dance
    Rest
    Surf
    Hydro Pump

I don't know, I just feel like Hydro Pump could really be replaced well by an ice type move. What do you think?

Years
  • So right now I'm breeding for a shiny HA bold Squirtle for competitive battle with at least one iv (sp. atk). And I want to know, how is the moveset I thought of?

Rain Dance
    Rest
    Surf
    Hydro Pump

I don't know, I just feel like Hydro Pump could really be replaced well by an ice type move. What do you think?

According to Smogon this is the best set, since Blastoise requires its Mega to be useful:

- Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump / Water Pulse / Scald
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 236 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 20 Speed
    Ability: Rain Dish
    Item: Blastoisinite

Dark Pulse is there so it can get past Ghost-types that are normally immune to Rapid Spin. Of the Water moves of choice, go with either Hydro Pump for raw power, Scald for a more defensive route or Water Pulse to abuse Mega Launcher. Ice Beam or Aura Sphere is there as an extra coverage move.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks for the help PlatinumDude and OrginRoute.

I'm just wondering now whether this is a good IV spread for a Jolly Rayquaza- 31/28/28/X/31/31. I sort of regret not SRing for a max attack, but I got impatient and just decided to save.

This is actually close enough if you don't have the patience for an absolutely perfect Rayquaza.

Edit: Greninja'd

Last edited:
    Years
  • Best nature for Kyogre, just in case when I go to catch it?

Timid, it's Special Attack will already be base 180, so it will be able to destroy most things anyways.

EDIT: PlatinumDude is right, as the Special Attack buff is needed to take out some of the threats in Ubers.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Best nature for Kyogre, just in case when I go to catch it?

Timid, it's Special Attack will already be base 180, so it will be able to destroy most things anyways.

Technically, Modest is the better nature, as 90 Speed is rather slow for an Uber. Modest is preferred on Primal Kyogre to nuke as much stuff as possible. Timid is only acceptable on Choice Scarf Kyogre.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Technically, Modest is the better nature, as 90 Speed is rather slow for an Uber. Modest is preferred on Primal Kyogre to nuke as much stuff as possible. Timid is only acceptable on Choice Scarf Kyogre.
    Okay, so just to confirm, Modest will be the best? Because I'd rather not sit through the whole cutscene pointlessly.

In addition, what are the best moves and EV spread?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay, so just to confirm, Modest will be the best? Because I'd rather not sit through the whole cutscene pointlessly.

In addition, what are the best moves and EV spread?

Modest is the best nature, yes. To save you some time, have a Modest Synchronizer (preferably fainted) as your lead Pokemon before you start the battle; there's a 50% chance that Kyogre will have the nature of the Synchronizer.

As for potential sets:
    -Calm Mind
    -Origin Pulse
    -Thunder
    -Ice Beam/Blizzard
    EVs: 180 HP/252 SAtk/76 Spe or 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Blue Orb

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam/Roar
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe

or
    -Water Spout
    -Origin Pulse/Surf
    -Thunder
    -Ice Beam
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Modest is the best nature, yes. To save you some time, have a Modest Synchronizer (preferably fainted) as your lead Pokemon before you start the battle; there's a 50% chance that Kyogre will have the nature of the Synchronizer.

As for potential sets:
    -Calm Mind
    -Origin Pulse
    -Thunder
    -Ice Beam/Blizzard
    EVs: 180 HP/252 SAtk/76 Spe or 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam/Roar
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe

or
    -Water Spout
    -Origin Pulse/Surf
    -Thunder
    -Ice Beam
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf
    I was aware of Synchronize, but thanks for the heads-up anyway. Thanks for the sets!

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    My Modest Kyogre has 31 on HP, Special Attack and Special Defense. Its Defense is a low 12-13, and its Speed is a horrible 7-8.

Is this good enough, considering it's a legendary with amazing stats regardless? Or should I try again for better Speed?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • My Modest Kyogre has 31 on HP, Special Attack and Special Defense. Its Defense is a low 12-13, and its Speed is a horrible 7-8.

Is this good enough, considering it's a legendary with amazing stats regardless? Or should I try again for better Speed?

Try again for better Speed. A 31 would be most appreciated.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    My Modest Kyogre has 31 on HP, Special Attack and Special Defense. Its Defense is a low 12-13, and its Speed is a horrible 7-8.

You'll always get 3 perfect stats, so try to aim for 4 at least

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Try again for better Speed. A 31 would be most appreciated.
    Could I run it defensivley? I would prefer the better Speed, but Kyogre never had outstanding Speed to begin with and I'm wondering if I can use its decent bulk to run it more defensivley while keeping a huge Sp.Atk to 'nuke' opposing Pokémon.

I just don't like sitting through all these cutscenes and dialogue every time, for only a 50% chance of a Modest Kyogre, which might end up having bad IVs anyway. I know I can't complain about having a bad Kyogre if I'm not willing to put in the effort, but this one is decent and it's a legendary in Ubers anyway, so it's less problematic when it has a bad IV.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Could I run it defensivley? I would prefer the better Speed, but Kyogre never had outstanding Speed to begin with and I'm wondering if I can use its decent bulk to run it more defensivley while keeping a huge Sp.Atk to 'nuke' opposing Pokémon.

I just don't like sitting through all these cutscenes and dialogue every time, for only a 50% chance of a Modest Kyogre, which might end up having bad IVs anyway. I know I can't complain about having a bad Kyogre if I'm not willing to put in the effort, but this one is decent and it's a legendary in Ubers anyway, so it's less problematic when it has a bad IV.

You could do that, but the 31 Speed IV is still preferred on Kyogre's defensive sets so it doesn't risk losing the Speed tie against 0 Speed base 90s.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    You could do that, but the 31 Speed IV is still preferred on Kyogre's defensive sets so it doesn't risk losing the Speed tie against 0 Speed base 90s.
    I ended up saving by accident because I forgot, so I'm stuck with this Kyogre. Stupid, I know, but I still think this one is decent, and I'm gonna bring Kyogre to the E4. Since it has that bad Speed, should I go with the 180 HP/252 SpAtk/74 Spe, or a modified version of it with maybe max HP or something? I've already done the 252 SpAtk, so I'm wondering about the other stats.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    can someone tell me what's a great moveset for cacturne ?
    Here are some sets from Smogon:

Spikes
    Cacturne @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Spikes
    - Bullet Seed
    - Sucker Punch
    - Destiny Bond

Swords Dance
    Cacturne @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Sucker Punch
    - Seed Bomb
    - Drain Punch

Swords Dance
    Cacturne @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Seed Bomb
    - Sucker Punch
    - Drain Punch

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • Hey guys! So I was breeding a Vulpix for competitive play with Calm nature and I got a shiny Vulpix. I really want to use it so here's a little info about it before I cut to the actual question: EVs are 252 HP/ Sp.Atk 4 and Sp.Def 252 and its IVs are 31/31/x/31/31/31. Now it's supposed to be supportive and I wonder if I still can use it even if it doesn't have that extra maxed IV on its defense stat.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back