• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like this one and I finally got my Eevee (I probably should have asked this BEFORE breeding), but what is the point of Baton Pass on it? My Eevee's Hidden Power type is Dragon (not optimal), so it needs to be a different move and I don't see the use of Baton Pass.
    I don't really see the point in Baton Pass on that Sylveon either, but if your's doesn't have a good Hidden Power type, you could probably put Calm Mind in that 4th slot and swap Specs for another item like Leftovers or a Sitrus Berry.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like this one and I finally got my Eevee (I probably should have asked this BEFORE breeding), but what is the point of Baton Pass on it? My Eevee's Hidden Power type is Dragon (not optimal), so it needs to be a different move and I don't see the use of Baton Pass.

I don't really see the point in Baton Pass on that Sylveon either, but if your's doesn't have a good Hidden Power type, you could probably put Calm Mind in that 4th slot and swap Specs for another item like Leftovers or a Sitrus Berry.

Baton Pass is there for this reason: if a check/counter switches into Sylveon (like Heatran), Sylveon can predict and use Baton Pass to switch to another teammate to handle the situation.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Baton Pass is there for this reason: if a check/counter switches into Sylveon (like Heatran), Sylveon can predict and use Baton Pass to switch to another teammate to handle the situation.
    Couldn't you just like....switch normally in that case?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Couldn't you just like....switch normally in that case?

And I have another scenario: if Sylveon is on the bad end of a double-switch (like the aforementioned Heatran), it can tank a hit, then Baton Pass away to a better teammate; this may be important for getting frail sweepers into battle, as manually switching leaves the new Pokemon vulnerable to an attack. If you manually switch, the new Pokemon may be subject to a super effective hit or an unwanted status.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    And I have another scenario: if Sylveon is on the bad end of a double-switch (like the aforementioned Heatran), it can tank a hit, then Baton Pass away to a better teammate; this may be important for getting frail sweepers into battle, as manually switching leaves the new Pokemon vulnerable to an attack. If you manually switch, the new Pokemon may be subject to a super effective hit or an unwanted status.
    Alright, I'll level up my Eevee to learn Baton Pass, and if I end up not liking the move I'll run Calm Mind (that's a TM Sylveon can learn, right?). Luckily I can just use the move reminder if I ever want Baton Pass back.

Edit:

Though Double-Edge is an option for Mega Glalie, this needs one transferred all the way from Gen III, as it can only learn it there. Return is a more convenient alternative:
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion
    -Ice Shard/Freeze-Dry
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant/Naive/Naughty
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Glalitite
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Why Freeze-Dry if it's a physical attacker?

Last edited:

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Could someone suggest me a good moveset for regular Rayquaza? Most sets I've seen have V-create, but I can't get hold of that move, since it's event only. Any help on what I could use?

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    Could someone suggest me a good moveset for regular Rayquaza? Most sets I've seen have V-create, but I can't get hold of that move, since it's event only. Any help on what I could use?

I would love to know too.

WhIch is normally better scald or surf? I'm torn :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    Which is normally better scald or surf? I'm torn :(
    idk why people always ask this question :/ (scald vs hydro pump too lol)

okay, so scald is handy for the burn chance. defensive water types usually run scald cos if the burn may happen, it will lower the opponent's attack stat, therefore weakening physical hits and doing a bit of damage every turn.

surf is a more powerful attack, but merely by 10 points. it doesn't have the chance to burn but it may score a few ko's that scald can't. most offensive water pokemon run hydro pump, but if the chance to miss is worrisome, then surf is the go-to move.

it really comes down to what pokemon you're using and what kind of moveset and ev's that pokemon will run.

hope this helped n_n

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    idk why people always ask this question :/ (scald vs hydro pump too lol)

okay, so scald is handy for the burn chance. defensive water types usually run scald cos if the burn may happen, it will lower the opponent's attack stat, therefore weakening physical hits and doing a bit of damage every turn.

surf is a more powerful attack, but merely by 10 points. it doesn't have the chance to burn but it may score a few ko's that scald can't. most offensive water pokemon run hydro pump, but if the chance to miss is worrisome, then surf is the go-to move.

it really comes down to what pokemon you're using and what kind of moveset and ev's that pokemon will run.

hope this helped n_n
    This is probably because

A: I'm a noob and I may not have known about the burn thing either by not reading the description or forgeting
    B: alot of read articles with conflicting movesets
    C: I relised its a stupid question after B

OriginRoute

The Omnipotent Origin
    Years
    I would love to know too.

Move 1: Swords Dance
    Move 2: Earthquake / Iron Head
    Move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
    Move 4: Extreme Speed

Since V-create is an "anti-steel" type attack in Rayquaza's movepool, Earthquake is a good substitute for it. You can easily outmatch most of the Ice / Steel / Poison type attackers although you might experience some difficulty if the opponent has the Levitate ability.

On the other hand, you can also use Iron Head with 30% chance to flinch if you feel like gambling your way through the match.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Freeze-Dry let's Glalie and other pokes with Freeze-Dry maul all the pokes that would normally be neutral to Ice for 4x damage. Stuff like Kingdra, Gyarados, Gastrodon, Ludicolo, Quagsire, etc. It's just good to have it for Water types in general since they resist Refrigerated Explosions and Returns, and Earthquake might not be enough. If you do use Freeze-Dry, Naughty or Naive would be the natures to use.

srinator

Mamo can 2hko Rotom wash with lo freeze dry after rocks lol

Edit: 16 spA ev's to Mamo for this :o

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    While Freeze-Dry isn't necessary, it's actually neat to have simply because it lets Mega Glalie hit bulky Water Pokemon, like Wash Rotom, for super effective damage. It also hits Ludicolo, Mega Swampert, Quagsire and regular Gyarados 4x as super effectively:

4 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 168-200 (55.2 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 360-424 (108.7 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 504-592 (127.9 - 150.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 328-388 (89.3 - 105.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

V-create isn't necessary on Rayquaza anymore because Dragon Ascent is its new nuking attack. Both deal the same amount of damage. While Dragon Ascent still lowers Rayquaza's defenses, it doesn't lower its Speed. Earthquake, Fire Blast and Overheat still let it deal with Steel Pokemon. Despite its name, Dragon Ascent is a Flying move instead of a Dragon move:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Ascent
    -Earthquake/Fire Blast
    -Extreme Speed/Earthquake
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/40 SAtk/216 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Dragon Ascent
    -Earthquake
    -Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Move 1: Swords Dance
    Move 2: Earthquake / Iron Head
    Move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
    Move 4: Extreme Speed

Since V-create is an "anti-steel" type attack in Rayquaza's movepool, Earthquake is a good substitute for it. You can easily outmatch most of the Ice / Steel / Poison type attackers although you might experience some difficulty if the opponent has the Levitate ability.

On the other hand, you can also use Iron Head with 30% chance to flinch if you feel like gambling your way through the match.

As I mentioned above, Dragon Ascent is Rayquaza's new nuking attack, and it does more damage to Fairies than Iron Head would:

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 286-337 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Iron Head vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 255-302 (60.8 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And even though Mega Rayquaza is banned to "anything goes", Dragon Ascent isn't. In Ubers play (yes, it's a tier now), regular Rayquaza can still have Dragon Ascent, but it can't Mega Evolve.

Edit: Greninja'd by a long shot, but I still feel like giving better explanations.

Last edited:

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
    So I was playing a fine emerald hack, and decided to EV train my pokemons for the FIRST TIME.
    I haven't done it ever.

It was already too late as my levels were 60+ when I decided, so I decided to gather berries that reset the evs.

My question is : Since there is no way to determine how much Evs we have in which stat, say for ex. if my Milotic has +56 Attack EV, and I give him 5 Kelpsy Berries, he will get -50 Attack EV, so will it eat another berry? or my 6 attack stats are now wasted?

Another question : is there any way to determine the IVs of newly hatched pokemons? by any means at all in emerald?

Anyone knows? Need help here.. :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    Something that just occurred to me that I've never been certain of:

When a Pokémon is being suspect tested, such as right now with Greninja, should I immediately consider him as Uber and take him off any teams I have or is he still viable for OU until they reach a verdict?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Something that just occurred to me that I've never been certain of:

When a Pokémon is being suspect tested, such as right now with Greninja, should I immediately consider him as Uber and take him off any teams I have or is he still viable for OU until they reach a verdict?
    It's still usable in OU until the official decision if reached. A suspected Pokemon isn't necessarily going to get sent to Ubers (like Keldeo in Gen 5), even though that's been the trend this generation. Though tbh chances are pretty likely that Greninja will get banned, so you'll wanna start thinking about other options and how/if you need to re-work your teams.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Freeze-Dry let's Glalie and other pokes with Freeze-Dry maul all the pokes that would normally be neutral to Ice for 4x damage. Stuff like Kingdra, Gyarados, Gastrodon, Ludicolo, Quagsire, etc. It's just good to have it for Water types in general since they resist Refrigerated Explosions and Returns, and Earthquake might not be enough. If you do use Freeze-Dry, Naughty or Naive would be the natures to use.
    Hm, I already bred a Jolly one, but I guess if I have to I'll breed again... I know Freeze-Dry gives coverage for Water-types, and I guess it's worth it if you can deal that much damage to them.

I also forgot Mega Glalie has Refrigerate, thus making Return its most powerful Ice move, but since Glalie has nothing else to get Water-types, it needs Freeze-Dry as well for coverage.

Thanks, PlatinumDude and Zekrom! And Happy New Year to both of you :)!

OriginRoute

The Omnipotent Origin
    Years
    As I mentioned above, Dragon Ascent is Rayquaza's new nuking attack, and it does more damage to Fairies than Iron Head would:

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 286-337 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Iron Head vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 255-302 (60.8 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And even though Mega Rayquaza is banned to "anything goes", Dragon Ascent isn't. In Ubers play (yes, it's a tier now), regular Rayquaza can still have Dragon Ascent, but it can't Mega Evolve.

Edit: Greninja'd by a long shot, but I still feel like giving better explanations.

Yes you're right. Dragon Ascent is the recommended attack move for ΩRuby / αSapphire Rayquaza. But for just a regular one, of course we don't have access to that move. Earthquake is the best replacement. Iron Head is just another choice aside from Earthquake (or Brick Break).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Yes you're right. Dragon Ascent is the recommended attack move for ΩRuby / αSapphire Rayquaza. But for just a regular one, of course we don't have access to that move. Earthquake is the best replacement. Iron Head is just another choice aside from Earthquake (or Brick Break).

Any Rayquaza can learn Dragon Ascent, even those transferred from past generations. In OR/AS, Zinnia's grandmother becomes the Dragon Ascent move tutor after the Delta Episode.

OriginRoute

The Omnipotent Origin
    Years
    Any Rayquaza can learn Dragon Ascent, even those transferred from past generations. In OR/AS, Zinnia's grandmother becomes the Dragon Ascent move tutor after the Delta Episode.

No I mean I thought we shouldn't give a regular Rayquaza an access to Mega Evolution with that move. (Because just like how they asked, a regular/plain Rayquaza moveset)

I really like it though. Aside from being Rayquaza's main STAB and signature move, we don't need to use Mega Stones which is convenient if we are planning to use Life Orb or bands.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back