• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen My name's NOT RIIICK!!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    If I'm a boy, it'll be Dave or Brendan, and if I use the female character the name will be May no matter what.

Years
    I'll probably name him Troy, after myself. I still haven't decided if I want to play as a female, though, and if I do most likely I'll name her May, because she's my favorite character in the Pokemon series and naming her anything else would be a crime. c: So, in essence, the exact same thing I did in RSE, haha.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Think I'll choose Ruby or maybe Rey (king) this time around.

Btw someone earlier mentioned Scott. It has happened to me yet but it'll be weird to be named the same as a NPC...(as Scott will proably appear like Eusine did in HgSs).

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    More than likely it'll be Alessa.
    Like I've been using for most games for the past several years. I've grown quite fond of it as a nickname. :3

In regards to Patrick's name not being Rick, however, I kind of hope the nickname feature doesn't return, at least for these games. It works better in Japanese, because some people may affix -san to your name, while your closer friends might add -kun or -chan, but it really doesn't work in English (and quite a few other languages, if I'm not mistaken)--if you have a nickname in English, you want everyone to refer to you by it, not just your close friends (or at least make the feature optional, since it does work out quite well in Japanese).

I wasn't aware this was a mutual feeling amongst all English speakers.
    I don't want strangers calling me by my nicknames. I want them to address me by my proper name. Nickname privileges are reserved for close friends/family only.

Now granted, I didn't really care for that feature (was entirely neutral on it since I skipped most of the gushy "I'm so glad we're friends" dialogue anyway) but just sayin', not everybody feels that way about their names. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    More than likely it'll be Alessa.
    Like I've been using for most games for the past several years. I've grown quite fond of it as a nickname. :3

I wasn't aware this was a mutual feeling amongst all English speakers.
    I don't want strangers calling me by my nicknames. I want them to address me by my proper name. Nickname privileges are reserved for close friends/family only.

Now granted, I didn't really care for that feature (was entirely neutral on it since I skipped most of the gushy "I'm so glad we're friends" dialogue anyway) but just sayin', not everybody feels that way about their names. :P
    I was thinking more along the lines of a nickname that essentially replaces your name, because for whatever reason the person does not like being referred to by their legal name--that is something I see quite often. If you have a sort of "pet name" with your friends and family, that is obviously quite different. Those kinds of pet names are not something I see too often these days, however, which is why I'm of the opinion that it would have been nice had the feature been optional.

And yes, there are always exceptions to general trends. There is no such thing as a truly mutual feeling, and everyone is an individual (it would be quite terrifying if we weren't!).

Last edited:

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I was thinking more along the lines of a nickname that essentially replaces your name, because for whatever reason the person does not like being referred to by their legal name--that is something I see quite often. If you have a sort of "pet name" with your friends and family, that is obviously quite different. Those kinds of pet names are not something I see too often these days, however, which is why I'm of the opinion that it would have been nice had the feature been optional.

And yes, there are always exceptions to general trends. Everyone is an individual, we are all aware of that (it would be quite terrifying if we weren't!).

Ahh.. I gotcha. I only really responded because you had originally grouped all nicknames together, and all people together, and made it sound like that feature doesn't belong in the English versions, specifically, at all.

Clarification, man. Just needed a little clarification. :)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Ahh.. I gotcha. I only really responded because you had originally grouped all nicknames together, and all people together, and made it sound like that feature doesn't belong in the English versions, specifically, at all.

Clarification, man. Just needed a little clarification. :)

I feel ya. I mainly said I hope the feature doesn't return for ORAS because they weren't included in RSE to begin with (because I had little to no issue with it in XY), but then I went on that tangent about nicknames in general. Unless Game Freak wants to alter the relationship the player has with Wally and Brendan/May, I can't even see how they would incorporate such a feature into ORAS.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I feel ya. I mainly said I hope the feature doesn't return for ORAS because they weren't included in RSE to begin with (because I had little to no issue with it in XY), but then I went on that tangent about nicknames in general. Unless Game Freak wants to alter the relationship the player has with Wally and Brendan/May, I can't even see how they would incorporate such a feature into ORAS.

Nicknames are kind of misleading too, since in the previous games our names were limited to seven characters and we go there and think "why the hell did I name myself forrr?" and proceed to give another random name thinking it's just another name change.

Languages, too, have a different system of naming oftentimes. If they are making this a must like in X&Y, I'm sticking with DERP.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    In pokemon X I named myself Apollo after Apollo Justice... This time I'll call myself Phoenix.. Because Hoenn is all about nature.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I've started to want to use my real name for once. Maybe (I think the 3DS had the Omega, and Alpha signs) spice it up by making the A and the O in my name Alpha and Omega (yes I got both letters in my real life name).

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
    Years
    If I choose the boy character- KIRBY, or KIRBY 12, or KIRBY 13.

If I for some reason choose girl- BANDANNA, or HAT.

P.s. I am a boy

Years
    Well... my name is Brendan, and I plan on playing as the male character (who's default name just so happens to be Brendan), so I think my mind's been made up for me :p

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
    well in Pokémon Y, i named myself Joshua, so in OR/AS, i'll probably name myself Josh, as i cycle between these two names for every game i play :)

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I either name my male character PJ or Z (I like short names for some reason), or I'll name my female character Annabelle (favorite female name).

However, everyone is overlooking the important point: will we get to name our rival?

Back