• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Name-change suggestion

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2008
    Hi,

I've just got a small suggestion for the name changing thread - maybe if someone wants to change their name, if the name is taken up by a non-posting or a banned member, the name should be made available? I only asked because this happened to me - I checked the member list for Cipher, and it wasn't there, but the name was in use.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place - I just thought I'd suggest this suggestion. (As if I was going to do anything else with it. >.<)

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
    Years
    Sounds good but...what if the non-active user decides to come back and can't log in with his/her old name anymore?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    And some banned user's are only banned for a certain amount of time. When they come back, it's kind of unfair if they're name got stripped from them because they were banned, right? ^^

Years
    Bare in mind that banned members don't all remain banned members. There are those who have been given a temporary ban (which means that their ban will expire after a certain amount of days.)

If they come back one day to find that their username has been snipped of characters just for another member to use it, what are the chances of them not complaining about it?

Also, claiming the username of a banned member might cause the member using it to grow an infamous reputation, or just harassment on their part. I sincerely do not recommend it.

As for members with no posts, the same thing could be said with them. Accounts with no posts don't all remain that way, their owners might come back one day to start posting with the same account.
    Ergo, the same issue would arise.

It'd be much easier if people just think of different names if the one they favour isn't availible to them. :\

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Well, when I wanted my name to be just plain Teresa, I was told that the name was taken. When I checked the members list, there wasnt a person with a username Teresa, so I had to make it .:Teresa:.

If theres something to explain that, then please tell me so I know.

Years
    Well, when I wanted my name to be just plain Teresa, I was told that the name was taken. When I checked the members list, there wasnt a person with a username Teresa, so I had to make it .:Teresa:.

If theres something to explain that, then please tell me so I know.

Banned users and accounts that have made no posts at all will not show up on the members list.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    As for members with no posts, the same thing could be said with them. Accounts with no posts don't all remain that way, their owners might come back one day to start posting with the same account.
    Ergo, the same issue would arise.
    We actually do prune members with no posts occasionally, I know it was done a few months back. And Steve was in agreement that it could be done again on a fairly regular basis to free up usernames for other people to use.

But the whole taking of usernames for banned people just wouldn't work at all. For one, it'd be very confusing for a lot of people to have a "banned" member going around the place. And, as Siggy said, there'd be a stigma attached to a banned name too, so it wouldn't be that great of an idea to take one anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2008
    Alright, then, maybe not banned users. But users who have never posted...if that's the case, there's surely no harm in them just making a new account?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    If you would go for that idea, you would have to take the accounts users made for their later name changes, because they don't want anyone to take it before they're able to change their name into consideration.
    So that isn't that easy either.

However, if 0-posters from a year or two would be removed, if would surely free up a few names.

Bushstar

Master of Nothingness
    Years
    The thing I am wondering is how to change my name. I don't get get the FAQ about changing my name. Can someone at least explain it for me?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    The thing I am wondering is how to change my name. I don't get get the FAQ about changing my name. Can someone at least explain it for me?

If you have been registered for at least 3 months, you visit the stickied Name-change thread in this forum, and after checking the members list for availability, you post your request (what your want your name changed to) in said thread.

Back