• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nature

Do you care about the nature of your pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
Years
  • Do you care about the nature of your pokemon?
    Honestly, I can care less, I never saw the purpose of natures. They can affect the stats but it's not like the stat will have like 100 points less. The pokemon will still be strong regardless.

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • I sort of do, but generally only enough to find one that isn't totally wrong for a pokemon (like an adamant Abra or something). I'm usually just happy to get a neutral one.

Sometimes if I'm doing a challenge, like a monotype run, I'll try a bit harder to get a "perfect" one, but I don't think I've ever gone beyond about a boxful of bred pokemon. I won't try indefinitely.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • If I'm just playing through the game, I don't care too much.
    I usually just try to avoid natures that would lower a stat that the Pokemon actually needs.

Every now and again I get picky, but for the most part I ignore them unless I'm breeding for something specific.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I don't care about natures on certain Pokemon, but If I am making a good team then I focus on those natures that it must know to increase sp. atk or speed.
    ; )

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They can affect the stats but it's not like the stat will have like 100 points less.

In the most extreme cases (eg; Deoxsys Attack with max EVs and IVs) the difference between a penalising nature and a beneficial one is like 90 points of attack.

Even in the more common examples among very strong Pokémon, their highest stat can be increased by between 30 to 40 points with a beneficial nature, and decreased by almost the same amount by a penalising one.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't really give a crap tbh. Unless I'm actually planning on EV training a Pokemon, then natures don't matter to me.

Years
  • Being a competitive battler, I appreciate natures a lot. They play a role in-game as well, especially when seemingly "Identical" Pokemon are facing each other. While I've never
    breeded to get a choice nature, although I do like being able to boost a stat that my Pokemon uses frequently at the expense of one that doesn't apply to its moveset. I don't mind neutral natures either,
    as they allow strength to be achieved through rigorous training, and are fine, in-game. Hindering natures, however, really bother me, to the point where I decide against using a certain Pokemon, especially in a nuzlocke run. So yes,
    I'm quite pro-natures, if that's what you'd like to call it.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Back in my carefree days of playing Pokemon Sapphire Version, I didn't really care about natures (at the time I was unaware of their stat-boosting and stat-reducing effects). Concerning Nature, I actually caught Pokemon based on looks (i.e., Swampert looks "serious", so I traded for a "Serious" Mudkip; Treecko's PokeDex says it is calm, cool, and collected, so I traded for a "Calm" Treecko).

My Torchic was a Docile Nature on my first-ever Sapphire playthrough, and I thought it was really neat.

At one point, I actually thought Rayquaza's nature was coded to match the Nature of the version mascot, because my Rayquaza had a Mild Nature on my first attempt catching it. When I caught Kyogre on my first attempt, it had a Mild Nature as well.

When I learned about the "true nature" of Natures; they became more of a concern, particularly because I kept yelling at my "Serious" Swampert for its crappy Speed stat and realized that the Serious Nature didn't give it any useful benefit. The only Pokemon I've hatched according to Nature and specifically EV-trained is a Hasty Flygon that I've nicknamed Trump Card. Finally, I've been able to outspeed quite a few Pokemon in Emerald's Battle Tower and Earthquake, allowing me to get past the 50-Trainer streak (a feat I've only achieved twice). So yeah, the Hasty Nature has been very helpful in my experience.

In the near future, I anticipate running Adamant and Modest Natures on most of my Pokemon (physical and special attackers), making adjustments for certain Pokemon (bulky Water-types and such). EV-training will follow...

And does the fact that I currently have two boxes in Emerald, each with an Abra (for Synchronize field effect) and Ditto (for Everstone breeding), for every existing Nature say anything about the importance of Natures...? ._. (while obtaining Ditto of every Nature in Desert Underpass, I actually came across a shiny Whismur, to boot)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I care about it. They're good for stats, and it's easier to use your imagination for your pokemon if they have natures~!

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I only care about natures if they reduce a stat that a Pokémon's highest in (for example, a Pokémon with a high attack stat getting bogged down with a nature that reduces attack). I don't do competitive battling at all, so I don't see a reason for me to worry too much about them, though.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I couldn't care less honestly. I'm happy with any pokemon I catch.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • I care when the Nature is detrimental to a Pokemon's already not-very-good stat - especially in the Defenses.

If a Pokemon is already weak in the area of Special Defense for example and I know the Pokemon is going to be hit with a lot of Special Defense attacks, I'm going to care if the Pokemon's Nature is something that lowers that Special Defense even lower than it already is.

I tend to have a habit of sticking with a certain group of Pokemon throughout the entirety of the game (up until Elite Four) and so that means I'll be wanting all of my Pokemon to be able and ready to join me on my Elite Four battle.

When you get to the Elite, a lot of tanking goes on and if the Pokemon has additional weakness where it was already not the strongest in, that really doesn't help the Pokemon and to me, it isn't fair to the Pokemon to put it in a situation you know it will suffer badly in.

You can always level up more and if you're an EV sort of person, you can adjust some EVs to help compensate, but I personally don't like to have a team where there's a big discrepancy between their levels or where there has to be a big sacrifice in one area of training just to make up for another.

So... yeah. If the Nature is something that really hurts the Pokemon's ability to stand his or her or its ground, then yeah. It matters to me.

EDIT: If this were real life, I wouldn't mind it nearly so much as in real life, there are other things to account for that the game doesn't really get into.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Do you care about the nature of your pokemon?
    Honestly, I can care less, I never saw the purpose of natures. They can affect the stats but it's not like the stat will have like 100 points less. The pokemon will still be strong regardless.

I assume you mean you can't care less? Saying you can care less is like saying you kind of do care, because there is room for less care, if you get what I'm saying? But if you say you can't care less it's saying that you've reached the point of not caring at all, so there isn't any room for caring any less.

Nature usually doesn't bother me too much for the first run-through of a game. Once I've beaten the E4 or reached the point where I can battle them, I usually take my favourites and start looking for one with a favourable nature and IVs (as in, another member of its species, not one I've already raised). Seeing as I don't battle competitively (no regular WiFi access) it's not a tragedy or anything if I don't get them perfect. Just as long as they're not the least favourable I'm happy.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I used to not care about them at all. In fact, until I started using the internet, I didn't even know they made too much of a difference in a Pokemons stats. I would just catch whatever Pokemon I found and use it if I liked it.

However, when I recently got Emerald, I was wondering why my Azumarill just wasn't working out. And I noticed she had a Modest nature. Since then, I've been paying a bit more attention to natures. But I still don't obsess over them. I guess I'm somewhat in between? I prefer to have a nature that's considered good for a certain species, but if I find one with a different nature that is still powerful, that's cool, too.

That Azumarill, though, is a right pain.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm a nature freak 90% of the time. I don't go for exact natures (when a Pokemon is supposed to be Adamant/Jolly, I also accept Naughty/Naive/Lonely/Hasty). I also don't accept neutral natures and avoid Lax and Gentle like the plague.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • I'm a nature freak 90% of the time. I don't go for exact natures (when a Pokemon is supposed to be Adamant/Jolly, I also accept Naughty/Naive/Lonely/Hasty). I also don't accept neutral natures and avoid Lax and Gentle like the plague.

No Lax or Gentle for me, either, as I really dislike how it +Defense -Defense in favor of or against Special Defense.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I prefer not to have to deal with natures. They're not even explained at all in the games or their manuals for all I can tell so it's a poorly presented feature... Natures are one of the things that keep me preferring the old games.

Honestly, I can care less,
    * can't

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • At the very least they started doing something about that in HG/SS and Black/White, as the boosted stat now is marked with red, and the decreased stat is marked with blue, so it makes it quite a bit easier for us nature-maniacs.

And I'm really pro nature, unless I somehow manage to acquire semi-perfect IVs when I'm catching/breeding something, I will keep going until I get what I want. Competitive battling might do that to you, haha.

Back