• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New generations looking younger?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    There are little kids walking around nowadays that are like 5"5 with six pack abs, that's hardly looking younger.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Yet there are those with round faces, small noses, weak jaw muscles (just some of the traits that are usually used fo describing children that haven't hit puberty yet...)!
    IMO, the real cause of this is lack of activity.
    Kids today hardly ever pay ouside, nor do people my age walk around, or play sports. Everyone's, including me, just too lazy to do all that stuff, and just sit at their computer...

Years
    IT'S AN APOCALYPSE!!

I wouldn't say younger, but they do look shorter.. far shorter than what we used to look at their stage. And then again when I compare myself to the seniors, we ourselves look shorter. I think this is some worldwide gene problem.. lol.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Yet there are those with round faces, small noses, weak jaw muscles (just some of the traits that are usually used fo describing children that haven't hit puberty yet...)!
    IMO, the real cause of this is lack of activity.
    Kids today hardly ever pay ouside, nor do people my age walk around, or play sports. Everyone's, including me, just too lazy to do all that stuff, and just sit at their computer...
    i'm sorry i do not understand how someones facial structure determines if someone looks younger, especially their jaw strength?

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    LOL
    It's true, everything that makes you-you is affected and caused by genetics.
    But you have to agree, a 16 year old looks older than the one without facial hair!

Years
    I def think they do. Alot of college students look like they should still be in high school, myself included.

They're putting something in the water, I tells ya. :)

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    ^_^
    XD, true, true!
    Perhaps it''s the imbalance in hormones that causes this, and IMO, it's the diet and life style that caused the hormonal imbalance in the first place!

ChariChu

~ take a drink from my hands
    Years
    no one is getting younger or shorter. perception changes with age. you dont realise how young you looked or how short you were a particular age when you were a kid and years later when you see another kid who's at the same age then it surprises you. neither genetics nor society has anything to do with it.

I agree. Whenever I look at photos of myself, or my friends especially, when they were 12-13 I'm always surprised at how young they looked, when I remember perceiving them as older looking at the time.

I do know that the kids of Gen Z are on average entering puberty earlier than previous generations, and are remaining pubescent for longer. That's what I read in a newspaper article, anyway. xD

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    But if your perception was "off" then in a way, why are you sure that it isn't now?
    I mean, if they looked older/younger then wouldn't they look oposite now that YOU'RE older?
    See? Perception is a two way street, thus I think it isn't just your perception...

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Well i am 17 but at the age of 15 i was able to buy cig's and not get carded.Plus i get alot of the times i look like i am 18 or 19.

I do see that it seems like they are thou caz i seen a kid last year in the 9th grade who was like 4 foot 11 and was like age 14 but looked 10.

Years
    But if your perception was "off" then in a way, why are you sure that it isn't now?
    I mean, if they looked older/younger then wouldn't they look oposite now that YOU'RE older?
    See? Perception is a two way street, thus I think it isn't just your perception...

People's perceptions are based off of their own age and what they are used to seeing. You and your peers are not long removed from being 14 and are basing your expectations for how a 14 year old should look based on how "old" you thought you appeared to each other at that age, and are not used to 14 year olds being shorter than you yet.

Morgnarok

Years
    People's perceptions are based off of their own age and what they are used to seeing. You and your peers are not long removed from being 14 and are basing your expectations for how a 14 year old should look based on how "old" you thought you appeared to each other at that age, and are not used to 14 year olds being shorter than you yet.

This is very true and for me i can't remember at all how i looked when i was 14 and that was only 3 years ago.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Well sure, there are exceptions, but I'm 18 now, and I haven't just spent all of my time with people my age. I don't thing that the gap should be that big(for me at least) if it's just my perception that's messing with me...

Morgnarok

Years
    Well i hang with people ageing from 16+ or i will hang with other people under that age if they act mature and are not little punks.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    i think its the opposite, the new generation is looking older, or at least, acting older. i'm 19 and i volunteer at a boys and girls club and even the elementary kids have "he said, she said" drama, and all the high school kids look like they could be in college with me.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    In my area, it's the opposite. Everyone looks older and most of em are taller than me, but I guess it varies from region to region.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    i think its the opposite, the new generation is looking older, or at least, acting older. i'm 19 and i volunteer at a boys and girls club and even the elementary kids have "he said, she said" drama, and all the high school kids look like they could be in college with me.
    I've noticed that here too, only they are younger and shorter than past generations.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    So I guess it really does depend on the area you live in...
    @Writethemwrong
    I don't think that dramaticall behaviour makes someone seem older or more mature, if anything it's the opposite.

Back