• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New generations looking younger?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Younger? >__>

I always thought it was the opposite, we're looking OLDER than we relly are. As in: me, and my Mexican 12 year old step-cousin who I swear has been hit on by 18 year olds.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I have a split opinion on this. I think that new generation looks younger in a way, but also looks older as well. Compared to Generations before us, we look younger than them when graduating high school. However, I look at some of my sister's friends, and some of the kids around the school she goes to, and I see both people who look younger than they really are, as well as people who look older.

To put it simply, there are factors, just as what Hiiro said. There are some things that make someone look older than they are these days, while some people who look younger than they are.

Example of Older: My Sister. She's 13, but people have told me that she looks older than me, and I'm 18.
    Example of Younger: A freshman in the band last year. I swear he could have walked into a sixth grade room and not look out of place.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • All that may be true, but i'm not talking about one or two peole in a generation...
    I'm talking about THE ENTIRE GENERATION looks as though they skiped a grade or two! How on Earth is that possible?! Everyone looks as though they're 15, 16 at max, and yet they're 17-18!

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • Interestingly, people are going through puberty at a younger age than they were in the past. Younger kids should, in theory, look older than their parents and grandparents did at their age.
    We are also taller than previous generations. That isn't why old houses had low ceilings though, they were used to trap heat.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't know, I mean, yeah, some of the younger kids look older, but that could easily be just the person themselves. There's plenty of people younger than me who look younger than their age, too.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • It's very likely that it's all just personal perspective for you.

Well then a lot of people I know share my perspective... XD
    But what's interesting is that, if computers, lack of activity, or something like that is a likely cause of this, those that do sports should be unaffected. And yet, the same thing there! They look exactly like everyone else, too young for their age! And trust me they do, if only i could post pictures of them...

Years

• Well then a lot of people I know share my perspective... XD
    But what's interesting is that, if computers, lack of activity, or something like that is a likely cause of this, those that do sports should be unaffected. And yet, the same thing there! They look exactly like everyone else, too young for their age! And trust me they do, if only i could post pictures of them...

Are you taking into account that you're getting older and that they seem younger than they are because you're so used to people that age being closer in age to you and therefore not looking much younger than you?

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Are you taking into account that you're getting older and that they seem younger than they are because you're so used to people that age being closer in age to you and therefore not looking much younger than you?

As I've said, if that IS the case, then a lot, and I mean A LOT of people aren't taking this into account! Seriously, you should see them! They look as though they could go back to elementary school!
    Sure, there are a couple of people in my generation that you could say the same thing, but younger generations are just incredibly juvenile!

Years

• As I've said, if that IS the case, then a lot, and I mean A LOT of people aren't taking this into account! Seriously, you should see them! They look as though they could go back to elementary school!
    Sure, there are a couple of people in my generation that you could say the same thing, but younger generations are just incredibly juvenile!

That's what I and many of my peers initially thought about the freshmen class at my high school... but we quickly recalled that we were three/four years older than they were and that we had gotten used to freshmen that were two/three years younger than us from the last school year.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Now this is really confusing me...
    Trust me, I've done a lot of resarch on this topic, and by what i've found is that every generation looks a bit younger than the previous one!
    But if this is the case, why is it only here, and not where you live?

Years
    Trust me, I've done a lot of resarch on this topic, and by what i've found is that every generation looks a bit younger than the previous one!

Some of it may have to do with the fashion of the time period giving off the perception of a generation being older/younger in appearance because of what they wear.

Years

I'd love to see this research.

Well, they look younger, when? At what age? A generation consists of a group of people born between date A and date B, sometimes within a few years, so not everyone would look the same age, because they aren't.

People age/develop at different rates, too. Some mature (in the biological sense) quickly, while others take longer. It's not because people are suddenly looking younger/older, it's just a somewhat random biological process at work.

Some of it may have to do with the fashion of the time period giving off the perception of a generation being older/younger in appearance because of what they wear.

That's also very true. People forget to factor in things like cosmetics.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • It's not a research in that manner, although i did it for a school project, and my Biology professor agreed...
    She said it's due to hormonal dis balance in teenager's body, but the exact cause is unknown.
    And I know that not everyone matures at same rate, what am I an idiot?! But it's still unbelievable that it's not a minority of people, it's the whole generation (they variate a year in age).

Years
  • Most year 7's here (the academic year you turn 12 in) seem to be getting shorter, ruder and more annoying. Maybe it is perspective, but I hope I wasn't as annoying as they are.

Back