• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New Pokémon and forms for Sun and Moon

Years
  • I LOVE this new Exeggutor form, he seems to have a lot more personality with the giraffe neck and I look forward to using him. I think I'll have to run two grass types though as I plan on picking Rowlet.

Ninetales being freshened up is pretty cool. I'm pretty indifferent to Sandshrew & Sandslash's forms, but then I'm indifferent to their original form too.

As for the new pokémon, I continue to be underwhelmed. None of this lot are particularly terrible, but they're not good either. Mudbray and Mudsdale are just an all round mistake.

Gyms being potentially abandoned seems like a welcome change, I'm cautiously optimistic on that one.

Years
  • This all look great, but I wonder about the Z-Moves. Without knowing how they work exactly I'm worried that they'll be rather unbalanced and get overused. And are totem Pokemon something that we'll get or is it just for the challenges?

I'm rather interested in Minior. Whether it's related to Solrock and Lunatone or not, I think I'll still want one on my team.

Find it amusing how Sandshrew isn't ground anymore though, haha.

Really digging the direction of this new generation. :)
    Oh you

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    Sweet mother of Arceus! I was generally surprised because I wasn't suspecting the Alola forms at all. I just can't believe that Exeggutor's form is Dragon & Grass.

Edit: The alola forms definitely do remind me of the Delta forms from the fanmade Pokemon Insurgence.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I don't know if somebody has said this elsewhere, but the electric Oricorio looks like Tapu Koko's mask, so maybe the other legendaries have different Oricorio masks depending on their island and type:
    New Pokémon and forms for Sun and Moon

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I'm definitely impressed by the new Pokemon. I especially like Minior and Lurantis though, I'm definitely going to use a Minior.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Omg so much new stuff as if I couldn't already be more hyped

The Alola forms are just amazing. I like the ice variants, though Exeggutor is too bizarre for my liking, I find that it resembles Tropius a bit so the Dragon typing makes sense. Sandslash being Ice/Steel is actually quite cool (yes punny), because it suggests a purified form – steel is purified earth, hence ground –> steel. I hope there'll be more Alola forms especially if they're taking a leaf out of tumblr fan art xD Sableye variants for every coloured gemstone?

I love how they scrapped (most likely) the gyms, but I want to see exactly how holistic and diversified the trials are and what the Totem Pokemon does. It sounds like a Horde Battle with the Totem Pokemon being like the king piece on a chessboard and the ability implies aura-like effects that likely buff the pokemon pawns.

I like the four new character designs! And someone pointed out that Mallow confirms the Chinese leaks of the fully evolved starters, so wow I guess the Chinese really have infiltrated Tokyo xD

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Fomantis and Lurantis just got me thinking. Their description makes it sound like they'll only come out at night. (it says they're nocturnal)

So now I'm wondering if these games will have more focus on different Pokemon appearing at different times of the day. I always felt that they never went far enough with that idea.

Then I got to thinking, imagine if the Pokemon that appeared at night were vastly different than during the day. So much so that there was a separate night pokedex. (and the rainbow one we've seen is the day pokedex)

I know that's a bit of a wacky theory but it would be awesome if something like that actually happened.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2019
    Sweet mother of Arceus! I was generally surprised because I wasn't suspecting the Alola forms at all. I just can't believe that Exeggutor's form is Dragon & Grass.

Edit: The alola forms definitely do remind me of the Delta forms from the fanmade Pokemon Insurgence.

The delta species pokemon in insurgence were actually based on the delta species pokemon from the trading card game. They were in a few sets many years ago so they could actually be based on them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The weasel looks so dumb, but I'm thinking it's just going to be the knock off normal type like rattata/bidoof. Which if that is the case it's following in suit pretty well lol!

I really like the mud horse, I could see myself using it. The star rock is cool. I feel okay about the new grass type.. not in love with it, but it's doable. I like the fire and ghost form of the bird with four different forms.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2016
    I am somehow splitted because of those news to be honest.
    One the one hand I really like the idea of having Pokemon in special forms with different types and appearance. But I cannot help but thinking of the Delta Pokemon from Pokemon Insurgence, which are other forms with different types of already existing Pokemon too.

Years
  • Guys, I found out what bird Oricorio is based on: https://ommanyte.tumblr.com/post/148369695340/oricorio-origins

It's based on a Hawaiian Honeycreeper which is Hawaii's equivalent of the Galapagos-native Darwin's Finch. Different species of it were found on different islands (which fits with Oricorio's different forms each being exclusive to a certain island in Alola).

It was said there was once 51 different Hawaiian Honeycreeper species, but today less than half of the species of the bird still exist. The ones that died out were caused by deforestation, avian malaria, competition from non-native birds and introduced feral species like cats and mongooses (no wonder Yungoos is evil) as well as other human mediated factors.

Well done Game Freak for adding another awesome endangered animal Pokemon

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
    Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 17, 2023
    Originally posted by Solivagant
    I like the four new character designs! And someone pointed out that Mallow confirms the Chinese leaks of the fully evolved starters, so wow I guess the Chinese really have infiltrated Tokyo xD

Just because some parts are proven true, does not confirm the whole rumor. All leaks are fake until/unless proven true, as a whole. I fully believe 100% that these images are fake. I do not want Litten evolving into a bipedal wrestler. If these leaks are true, then I'd be picking Rowlet instead, because that design is the only one that really works

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Just because some parts are proven true, does not confirm the whole rumor. All leaks are fake until/unless proven true, as a whole. I fully believe 100% that these images are fake. I do not want Litten evolving into a bipedal wrestler. If these leaks are true, then I'd be picking Rowlet instead, because that design is the only one that really works

It is near impossible for them to be take, at least Litten's evolution. The female next to Ash was way way way too accurate to be fake. Every last detail, other than color matched and these leaks came out way before Mallow was shown.

It is possible some are made fake on purpose, but the Litten evo at the very least is correct. And it isn't a wrestler, he is a ring master.

Years
  • It is possible some are made fake on purpose, but the Litten evo at the very least is correct. And it isn't a wrestler, he is a ring master.

Litten's final evolution seems to be based on Tiger Mask, which was said to be a heel wrestler. Heel wrestlers use dirty tactics in fighting which explains the Chinese leak mentioning Litten's evolution will be a Fire/Dark type. The same leak also mentions Rowlet and Popplio's evolutions being Grass/Flying (it's a given since Rowlet itself is dual-typed) and Water/Fairy respectively.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    Does Alolan Sandslash remind anybody else of Brain Freezer from Johnny Test?
    Spoiler:

Years
  • They could very well change the design since these were created, but I believe they are real.

There's the possibility of that, but I think they had designed the Pokemon well in advance so it's likely what's in the art will be the final evolutions. The red "confidential" label that's on the concept art was something I also found out appeared on the concept art of other things in the game, such as the vehicles and the Pokemon Center, as seen in the trailer that announced the games.

Back