• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Type Discussion

Do you want a new type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blazing Rud

This is Blazingly Awsome!!! - Pokemon Blazing Fire
Years
  • This thread I made for everyone to discuss about new types in Sun and Moon. Here discuss about some new types that could be included in sun and moon. Come up with some awesome ideas.
    Also you can discuss about new Pokemon Type combinations which are ever seen before!!

Enjoy

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't think we need a new type this soon.

Right now we have 18 types. I think that leaves a little room for another type or two some time in the future (20 types seems like it would be ok) but we don't need one right now.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • I personally don't want or think we'll be getting a new type anytime soon, though it'd be neat to see one come gen 8 or 9. We only just got Fairy in the last generation, 6, so I don't see any real reason to already bring another on the scene, we likely won't get anymore for quite a while since before Fairy's introduction, the last time new types were introduced was in gen 2. That's a four generation gap, and as others said Fairy was only brought onto the scene thanks to the Dragon-type and it needing a counter besides Ice and... well, itself.

So while I don't see potential for any new types this generation, it's quite possible we could see one in the near future. I don't have any clue of what it could be though, I'm quite stumped there!

Years
  • Like the others said, we only just got Fairy-types last generation due to Dragon-types reaching overpowered levels not seen since 1st Gen Psychic-types, and therefore Dragon needed a better counter since Ice didn't have the defensive capabilities to do so.

18 types right now is just enough, and I just can't see anything else besides what we have now as fitting for a type so I think it's best to just leave the types as they currently are.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If it took them 14 years to introduce a new type then I really can't see them needing to do so again for a long time. The Fairy-type was only added to nerf the Dragons slightly, now it is much more balanced.

As for new type combinations then I can definitely see this being the case for Sun & Moon. We have already seen some very interesting examples with only some of the new Pokemon revealed. A couple of new combinations I would particularly like to see are Bug/Dark and Ice/Fairy.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • There is no reason to add a new type right now. Everything is pretty well balanced. Having a type back to back would make little sense. The only reason they usually add typings is to balance out the type table. They added steel and dark because Ghost and Psychic were a bit overpowered. They added Fairy because Dragon was starting to become over powered.

If they were going to add a new type, we probably would already know something small about it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I used to be moderately on board with the idea of more types, but now I'd rather they just add more move classifications instead. By "classification", I mean how there's a whole group of Powder moves, or Ball and Bomb moves, and Pokémon types and abilities interact with these sorts of moves in different ways. I don't know if there's an official term for it, so I'll just keep using classification for now.

So just as a whole bunch of moves are classified as Sound moves rather than having a Sound type, other commonly requested new Types could become Classifications instead.

Wind would be a good one. A lot of Flying type moves would fall into this, but so would Fairy Wind, Silver Wind, and Twister, among others. Wind attacks could gain a slight boost when Tailwind is active, and could also gain priority from Gale Wings.

Light is another new Type which a Classification could do just as well. Solar Beam, Mirror Shot, Flash, and other moves would be classified as Light. A new hold item, Magnifying Glass, could add a chance to Burn to all moves in the Light Classification.

And I'm sure there are other new Types that could receive the same treatment.

(Wait, is this too far off topic? Should I spin it off into its own thread?)

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I used to be moderately on board with the idea of more types, but now I'd rather they just add more move classifications instead. By "classification", I mean how there's a whole group of Powder moves, or Ball and Bomb moves, and Pokémon types and abilities interact with these sorts of moves in different ways. I don't know if there's an official term for it, so I'll just keep using classification for now.

So just as a whole bunch of moves are classified as Sound moves rather than having a Sound type, other commonly requested new Types could become Classifications instead.

Wind would be a good one. A lot of Flying type moves would fall into this, but so would Fairy Wind, Silver Wind, and Twister, among others. Wind attacks could gain a slight boost when Tailwind is active, and could also gain priority from Gale Wings.

Light is another new Type which a Classification could do just as well. Solar Beam, Mirror Shot, Flash, and other moves would be classified as Light. A new hold item, Magnifying Glass, could add a chance to Burn to all moves in the Light Classification.

And I'm sure there are other new Types that could receive the same treatment.

(Wait, is this too far off topic? Should I spin it off into its own thread?)

I think your concept of "Classification" is spot on!
    I want more interactions with pokemon's height and weight (for example Grass Knot), as well as Friendship needs to have a larger influence in move pools and abilities.

I otherwise have to agree with others, we have enough types, and with the addition of Fairy, I've been having to completely re-memorize weaknesses and resistances, and I would really prefer not to have to do that all over again in Gen 7. At this point adding more typings is just going to force people to have to study more about new typings and how they affect each individual weakness and resistance, and that would just make the game more complicated, which at this point is obviously counter productive to GF's goal of making everything easier for everyone especially younger children.

I would love to see more new type combinations in this new generation, obviously we have some real winners such as Bug/Fairy and Poison/Fire, so I think we should be expecting many more new type combos this time around. I really want to see a Grass/Fire, Electric/Poison, and Ice/Steel type pokemon. Those would be some seriously bad ass typing combinations.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I think we have enough types, but what I would like to see is more type combinations that are either rare or haven't happened yet. I'm hoping we get a Fire/Ice that can be obtainable on the Big Island.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Dark and Steel were made due to Gen I having an OP type, Psychic. Fairy was made due to Dragon becoming OP by Gen V. We'll probably have to wait for another type to become OP in order to get another type chart shift. I can see that type being Fairy itself...

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • As the others said, I don't think there's going to be another type in Sun and Moon. The Fairy-type was recently added and I don't think there's any overpowered pokémon type right now (like dragon-type was, that's why they added a new type). So, instead of a new type, I'd rather have new type combinations such as Ghost/Electric, Fire/Ice, Fairy/Ice, Ice/Dragon (besides Kyurem), etc... =D

Years
  • No new type please. Outside of buffering Dragon-types, which Fairy-types are good at, I hate them. Though I'd like to see Grass/Ice, Steel/Water, or Fighting/Electric in the spectrum of combinations.

Blazing Rud

Years
  • Woah! looks everyone is against for getting a new type. But what ever i have my own thoughts. I did like to see a new cosmic type. Some pokemon like Rayquaza, Deoxys, Xerneas and some others. Well that my thoughts and looks they doesn't match to anyone elses.

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
    Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 17, 2023
    I wouldn't exactly say that, Blazing Rud. While I do agree that there probably won't be any new types this generation, I personally believe that there's room in the chart for 2 more types, and I do believe Cosmic would be one of them . I think 20 types total is a nice rounded number

As for type combinations, there's still plenty to pick from. I would like to see more combos with Fairy, simply because it's the newest type

Years
  • Like Colours said, a Cosmic-type would seem too complicated plus I believe Psychic and Fairy seem to be covering that since there's a few Pokemon of those types with cosmic-like relations.

Khrysamere

A Side Character
    Years
  • Almost all of the Birds need to be fixed, They should be Bird Type and Mono Normal Type, not the other way around, or just Flying (The Normal Stab is nice, but it makes it so they receive regular damage from fighting types)

I may be saying this only because I like to organize my boxes by the First type and it's annoying that I have to put all of the Flying type Pokemon with the Normal Pokemon...but Who knows, I may not :P

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
    Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 17, 2023
    @ Colours and Hikamaru

True, I don't' know for certain what Cosmic would be good/weak against, but I know of a fact that it can qualify as a separate type. Psychic is strength of the mind. It has nothing to do with space And Fairy is geared toward mythology, fantasy, and fairytale stuff, as well as cuteness in general. Nothing really space-oriented there

Pokémon I can see as Cosmic type - Rayquaza, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Deoxys, Jirachi, and Solgaleo and Lunala
    Pokémon that are a bit less likely to be Cosmic type, but still could be - Cleffa line, the Lati's, and maybe Dialga and Palkia

@ Khrysamere

I agree completely that most of the Normal/Flying type should be pure Flying. I also sort my boxes by type, and only the pure and the primary qualify. I don't like the idea of putting birds in with the Normal types. Birds area a separate group of animals, so they deserve to be sorted that way

Last edited:

Blazing Rud

Years
  • @ Colours and Hikamaru

True, I don't' know for certain what Cosmic would be good/weak against, but I know of a fact that it can qualify as a separate type. Psychic is strength of the mind. It has nothing to do with space And Fairy is geared toward mythology, fantasy, and fairytale stuff, as well as cuteness in general. Nothing really space-oriented there

Pokémon I can see as Cosmic type - Rayquaza, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Deoxys, Jirachi, and Solgaleo and Lunala
    Pokémon that are a bit less likely to be Cosmic type, but still could be - Cleffa line, the Lati's, and maybe Dialga and Palkia

@ Khrysamere

I agree completely that most of the Normal/Flying type should be pure Flying. I also sort my boxes by type, and only the pure and the primary qualify. I don't like the idea of putting birds in with the Normal types. Birds area a separate group of animals, so they deserve to be sorted that way
    I agree too for birds being non flying and normal they should go with pure flying type. Something like talonflame is also acceptable as they can make them with other type combinations. That is why rowlet id my Fav.{XD}

Years
  • True, I don't' know for certain what Cosmic would be good/weak against, but I know of a fact that it can qualify as a separate type. Psychic is strength of the mind. It has nothing to do with space And Fairy is geared toward mythology, fantasy, and fairytale stuff, as well as cuteness in general. Nothing really space-oriented there
    No, but Psychic-type includes the kind of sci-fi/new age/space aliens idea you could touch "the universe" if you "opened your third eye" or whatever terminology they used. Maybe today we think of them as pretty separate, but aliens and space and mind powers were all lumped together into a kind of new age metaphysics. That's what the type covers (as well as "magic" in a sense). Most space-themed Pokemon are already Psychic-types for this ease. The only ones I can think of that are not Psychic are Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable who have a moon-theme and fall under Fairy typing, which have some kind of moon association (like with the move Moonblast).

Back