• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Starters Which would you choose?

Which Starter Would You Choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    How is the grass type a snake? It has arms and legs! Snakes do not have appendages!!

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2010
    Since most of the time I choose Fire type starters on all Pokemon games that I have played, I'll choose Pokabu, the fire pig Pokemon.
    I previously chosen Charmander, Cyndaquil and Torchic.

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    The Grass starter. I hope the Fire's Evolution line will have better forms. I hate Pig-Shaped Fire Pokemon.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    For me, it will totally depend on their evolutions.
    But so far, fire..because I always pick fire.

Major_Tom

Ground control to Major Tom
    Years
    From the information we have recieved so far I will pick the grass starter, but that can change once we see thier evolutions.

Cid

Years
    I was expecting the series to deteriorate after awhile, especially seeing the oddly-drawn eyes from the fourth Generation of Pokemon, but in all seriousness, these things don't look like Pokemon at all. They're starting to get lazy, mashing up forms of other Pokemon into the starters. I really hope that the evolved forms of these starters aren't as bad (though it used to be the opposite, especially in the 3rd Generation). D:

Back to the aspect of choosing, then.
    Judging from the look of the Water-type (I've always tried to start any Pokemon game with a Water-type in my first playthrough of it ever since I got the chance), they could've done better. The nose looks off, and its stomach has a seashell oddly stuck on it, looking out of place. The colors are out of place, and is that really supposed to be a tail? A little more detail for the head should have been added, too. Overall, it looks awfully like a character ripped from the Hello Kitty universe...ugh. Guess I would, for the first time, shake off the tradition of picking the Water-type first. I feel bad for nitpicking on it first, though it looks the least pleasant of the three, in my opinion.

The Fire-type looks slightly better. The only thing that bugs me about it is the placement of its ears...and the concept of a fire pig, overall. Having played Legend of Zelda (and heard similar comments from other people), though, if its later forms look as bad-ass as Ganondorf's beast form, then I wouldn't care about the concept.

The Grass-type looks like it got through the starter application by the passing mark. A Treecko look-alike, with a smug expression. Everything looked okay, until I saw its lazily drawn feet. Those just turned me off.

This judgment for the trio might seem unfair, but their appearances (and types) are simply the only given information that I can judge from to choose, so far (then again, when I first chose from three starters without any information about them except their looks and their type, I did use a similar judgment). Also, everything depends on a person's opinion. If I had to pick the base form of the starter, I'd choose the Fire-type.

Last edited:

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
    Grass snake all the way!!!
    Because although it is slightly remeniscent of Treecko, it is the only one there that, despite being called a grass snake, looks nothing like any animal I've ever seen.

There have been waaaaaay too many pokemon lately that look like real animals, its SOOOOO annoying.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    "They're all awful" was my vote.

:/ I mean, I guess I actually kind of like the grass type. It's cute, but I won't use it because I really dislike doubling up types in my teams and the grass slot in my teams will always be taken up by Cherrim.

The water type looks like an abomination. It's like Piplup merged with Bidoof, Pachirisu, Swampert and a clam. :| I don't really see how it's an otter and I think the design is just way too complex for a starter. It does not appeal to me at. all. I'm so disappointed with it. Like. Words cannot even describe. Hopefully it'll grow on me but I felt the same way (albeit slightly less annoyed by) about Treecko and it never grew on me. :/

So the fire pig kind of... becomes my starter by default. I was kind of hoping I'd continue my pattern of fire starters in the odd numbered gens and water in the even but... process of elimination isn't how I wanted to decide my starter. Then again, I decided my starter by process of elimination in gen 4 and that turned out to be my favourite gen so... I guess we'll see. u_u

In short, I'll probably pick the fire type but only because I don't like starting a new gen/game with a Pokémon that isn't an initial starter. I can almost guarantee that for the third game of B/W, I will use my starter as an HM slave, if at all. :|

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I'm picking Pokabu!

Fire is awesome - so are pigs.

Put them together and you get ownage! :D

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Not knowing what their evolution lines are, I'd pick either the grass or fire type. I usually go for fire, and this time it could be just as likely... but I haven't liked the design for a grass starter in a long while, until now that is.

Years
    well judging on the information so far, i would pick mijumaru, beacuase it is the sea otter pokemon, so its final evolution could be pretty cool

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    I'd pick the grass type, it has the best design off all grass-type starters so far.
    the fire type looks cool as well, it's the first quadrupedal fire starter.
    I'm glad they didn't introduce yet another sluggish grass type starter.
    I'm not to fond of the water type though, I hope it's evolutions will look better.

Years
    The grass one reminds me of Flygon so that's pretty cool.

I love the fire pig. Its sprite is adorable.

The water pokemon looks cuter than Piplup. I like the look of it.

I would have to see the all evolutionary stages before choosing a starter, though.

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
    Years
    I'm not really surprised at the look of them. I chose all is aweful, because they are. I'll just roll a die to find out which one take since ill be trading off for my regular team when I get the chance. Otter, pig and snake have been done before for pokemon, maybe not Fire pig or grass snake but i'd like to see somehting more unique like an Centipede like fire pokemon, Hermit crab like water pokemon, or a unicorn like grass pokemon... aw well, someone is bound to like them and you can't please them all.

shot571

grass one looks the most interesting but fire to me looks like itll turn into a fire hippowdon so something. so i picked fire. Water lloked crap but its final evo may be a polar bear which would be pretty cool.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Okay guys, I know the release on generation five is really exciting and the news starters and other features are worth discussing but they still go in the specific Generation Five Thread stuck in this very forum so, please, use them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back