• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New TM's Disappointment?

Years
  • As comes with every new generation, some TMs are removed and replaced with something else.

But Black & White got rid of some TMs people considered awesome and replaced it with a move that sucks.

Here are the new TMs for Black & White, and if it replaced a 4th Gen move, the move they replaced:

TM01 Hone Claws > Focus Punch
    TM03 Psyshock > Water Pulse
    TM09 Venoshock > Bullet Seed
    TM19 Telekinesis > Giga Drain
    TM23 Smack Down > Iron Tail
    TM34 Sludge Wave > Shock Wave
    TM43 Flame Charge > Secret Power
    TM47 Low Sweep > Steel Wing
    TM48 Round > Skill Swap
    TM49 Echoed Voice > Snatch
    TM51 Ally Switch > Roost
    TM55 Scald > Brine
    TM58 Sky Drop > Endure
    TM59 Incinerate > Dragon Pulse
    TM60 Quash > Drain Punch
    TM62 Acrobatics > Silver Wind
    TM67 Retaliate > Recycle
    TM72 Volt Switch > Avalanche
    TM76 Struggle Bug > Stealth Rock
    TM78 Bulldoze > Captivate
    TM79 Frost Breath > Dark Pulse
    TM82 Dragon Tail > Sleep Talk
    TM83 Work Up > Natural Gift
    TM93 Wild Charge
    TM94 Rock Smash (previously a HM)

These moves remain unchanged:

TM02 Dragon Claw
    TM04 Calm Mind
    TM05 Roar
    TM06 Toxic
    TM07 Hail
    TM08 Bulk Up
    TM10 Hidden Power
    TM11 Sunny Day
    TM12 Taunt
    TM13 Ice Beam
    TM14 Blizzard
    TM15 Hyper Beam
    TM16 Light Screen
    TM17 Protect
    TM18 Rain Dance
    TM20 Safeguard
    TM21 Frustration
    TM22 SolarBeam
    TM24 Thunderbolt
    TM25 Thunder
    TM26 Earthquake
    TM27 Return
    TM28 Dig
    TM29 Psychic
    TM30 Shadow Ball
    TM31 Brick Break
    TM32 Double Team
    TM33 Reflect
    TM35 Flamethrower
    TM36 Sludge Bomb
    TM37 Sandstorm
    TM38 Fire Blast
    TM39 Rock Tomb
    TM40 Aerial Ace
    TM41 Torment
    TM42 Facade
    TM44 Rest
    TM45 Attract
    TM46 Thief
    TM50 Overheat
    TM52 Focus Blast
    TM53 Energy Ball
    TM54 False Swipe
    TM56 Fling
    TM57 Charge Beam
    TM61 Will-O-Wisp
    TM63 Embargo
    TM64 Explosion
    TM65 Shadow Claw
    TM66 Payback
    TM68 Giga Impact
    TM69 Rock Polish
    TM70 Flash
    TM71 Stone Edge
    TM73 Thunder Wave
    TM74 Gyro Ball
    TM75 Swords Dance
    TM77 Psych Up
    TM80 Rock Slide
    TM81 X-Scissor
    TM84 Poison Jab
    TM85 Dream Eater
    TM86 Grass Knot
    TM87 Swagger
    TM88 Pluck
    TM89 U-turn
    TM90 Substitute
    TM91 Flash Cannon
    TM92 Trick Room

Were you disappointed with the new TM list?

I was disappointed with the removal of Iron Tail - that essentially ruins the chance of someone copying the moveset of Ash's Pikachu.

Also, Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse didn't deserve being replaced. I hope those two awesome moves get reinstated in 6th Gen.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Quite frankly I hate most of the new TMs with a burning passion, only ones that are even passable IMO would have to be Psyshock, Scald, and Volt Switch. The others are either meh moves that should have been their own TMs instead of replacements if you ask me or so crap that they shouldn't even be moves to begin with much less TMs but hey that's my opinion blabbering on there.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Most of TM's suck, so the only way to get a powerful move set is by breeding. It really sucks :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Good girl :3

OKAY SO I'm replying mostly from a competitive sense (and slightly nostalgic), so yay!

Firstly, I'd say Hone Claws and Focus Punch both can be good except for the fact that I thought it was still Focus Punch the other day loool. Psyshock is definitely 100x better than Water Pulse, and I like that it can be used on Pokemon. Venoshock idk what it does and for that fact I consider it useless, but to ME Bullet Seed was always useless, lol. Wtf @ Telekinesis? Giga Drain is much better and so much useful, okay now the dumb is starting to set in. >__>; Smack Down isn't that great imo, but nor is Iron Tail really BUT GENERATION 2 ;__; Sludge Wave... nah, Shock Wave is better. Flame Charge is boring but so is Secret Power so idc. Low Sweep can be "okay" but really, STEEL WING IS NOSTALGIA WHAT ARE YOU DOING GAME FREAK.

Round is okay, Skill Swap is not. So I'm fine with that, except for the fact that Round = ALWAYS IN CHALLENGE CUP. Seriouslyyy. Echoed Voice too! Snatch idk I never used it. NO MORE ROOST? Okay no wonder gen 5 Pokemon suck at recovering. ;; I love Scald, hate Brine, purely because of the amazing burn effect. Sky Drop, meh. Endure was meh too. lolwhat@loss of Dragon Pulse. AND DRAIN PUNCH WAS GREAT TOO FFFF. Acrobatics is good at least, expecially on Tornadus and other things :3; Uhhh Volt Switch is amazing. Now... onto the sad one. Stealth Rock is amazing and I'd love it if more generation 5 Pokemon could learn it, but no, Game Freak had to go ahead and suck. Dark Pulse is great unlike Frost Breath idk what it even does. Dragon Tail is good and so is Work Up. And finally, Wild Charge is great on Emboar and stuff!!

Oh yes, and Rock Smash to TM = great.

From a completely competitive sense, some of the changes are good tbh, but some just really... are wtf. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was seriously disappointed when Focus Punch, Stealth Rock, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Drain Punch and Giga Drain got replaced because those moves were rather good in Gen IV and the latter 2 got power boosts during the generation shift. I was rather happy when they changed Brine to Scald because Brine wasn't that useful to begin with.

Years
  • I was seriously disappointed when Focus Punch, Stealth Rock, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Drain Punch and Giga Drain got replaced because those moves were rather good in Gen IV and the latter 2 got power boosts during the generation shift. I was rather happy when they changed Brine to Scald because Brine wasn't that useful to begin with.

Yeah PlatDude, I agree with you.

Drain Punch getting replaced with Quash was epic fail and no Unova Pokemon actually learn Quash.

Hone Claws I find more convenient than Focus Punch.

Getting rid of Dark Pulse to make way for Frost Breath was dumb, and the only Pokemon apart from Mew and Smeargle that learn it are all Ice-types. At least Lucario can pick up Dark Pulse from move relearners now.

Stealth Rock getting replaced by Struggle Bug was terrible, and the latter doesn't hit that hard (only 30BP).

Dragon Pulse being taken over by another lackluster move, Incinerate. EPIC FAIL.

Giga Drain getting replaced by Telekinesis was probably because they wanted more double/triple battle support moves.

Smack Down replacing Iron Tail basically kills our chance of having a Pikachu with an Ash's Pikachu moveset meaning if we want a Pikachu knowing Iron Tail, it has to be Poke Transferred... maybe I'll just let my Pikachu learn Slam/Return for something close.

Also, I wasn't happy with Sludge Wave, Togekiss can no longer learn damaging Electric attacks :( Replacing Shock Wave totally cut down Togekiss's movepool a little more. Now it can't learn damaging Ice, Poison and Electric attacks unless if it had a Hidden Power of that type or used a move of that type with Metronome.

Sky Drop is also worthless, not that many Pokemon learn it and they tend to be fully-evolved Flying-types (except Rufflet).

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Sludge Wave struck me as being completely redundant with the existence of Sludge Bomb (at the very least they could have replaced bomb with wave, it's better in almost every way).

I'm not that into competitive gaming, so I wasn't too crushed by the loss of Stealth Rock, though what they replaced it with (Struggle Bug) is almost completely useless...

I'm not going to bother with talking about some of my major disappointments (Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, etc.) since they've already been covered, but my disappointment comes mainly from the lacklustre TM's that they didn't change, such as Flash, Frustration, Psych Up, and Charge Beam. All of these are, in my opinion, far too situational in use or just plain useless. Steel Wing, Iron Tail, Shock Wave, Sleep Talk, etc. are far more deserving of TM status that the junk that they've kept.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    GameFreak seem to have trolled as per. Volt Switch was a great addition though. I miss Stealth Rock, Dragon Pulse, and Natural Gift (used to love messing with that move on some Pokemon and the fact this generation it'd help Gyara slaughter the boring and overrated Ferrothorn is a plus) but at the same time I'm thankful we can use TMs more than once now. I'm willing to take that addition over the removal of some amazing TMs, though I'm hoping next gen we'll get to use TMs as many times as we want, alongside receive TMs that are more worth repeated use.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • No, I love the new TMS... it's better than having the same over and over, I love Bulldoze, Hone Claws & Acrobatics.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • The removal of Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Shockwave and Steel Wing were the worst for me, some of my favorite moves, would've been nice to just get some new TMs instead of replacing them.

My biggest gripe is the TM placement, Flamethrower can't be obtained until you get to Abundant Shrine, which is after you beat Ghestis.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I would think Game Freak 'balanced' the technical machines for their debut as re-usable devices and will restore some of the older moves in the future. I feel some are very much baseless, for instance Rock Polish. The removal of Steel Wing was strange as it occupied the same number since the second generation. Ultimately, I'm not disappointed nor impressed; many moves that were TMs can be bred from monsters that know them from the fourth generation anyway.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • The only one I really noticed that it was missing was Dark Pulse. Mainly because my Hydreigon doesn't have a special Dark-type move. :( Not all of them are bad, but I didn't realise Giga Drain, Steel Wing, Iron Tail and Dragon Pulse were replaced. I like those moves a lot. D:

Years
  • I love most of the new TM's, but I'm not happy with the removal of dark pulse D:

I love Low Sweep and Bulldoze so YAY FOR THEM

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The only new one's I actually like were Acrobratics, and Scald. The rest were quite disappointing...I would rather have had them keep the gen IV order...

Years
  • The removal of Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Shockwave and Steel Wing were the worst for me, some of my favorite moves, would've been nice to just get some new TMs instead of replacing them.

My biggest gripe is the TM placement, Flamethrower can't be obtained until you get to Abundant Shrine, which is after you beat Ghestis.

Yeah, I hated having some TMs only available after beating the Elite Four, N and Ghetsis. It annoyed me, especially with Psychic, Energy Ball, Flamethrower, Earthquake and Ice Beam.

|Torch|

Fire Trainer!
    Years
  • I just started to get back to playing and noticed the same. TM's on Black/White are not what i would have like to have seen, but its a franchise at I'm still amazed that they have been able to continue with it. Even now in 2012. But yeah big disappointment no doubt about it. :L

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • Removing those good TMs such as Iron Tail, Drain Punch, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse... it destroyed the possibilities for good movesets for the new Pokemon. Why can't I have a an Iron Tailing Mienshao or a Dark Pulsing Liepard or a Giga Draining Simisage? GAME FREAK, why did you remove such good TMs and replaced them with moves that I find useless?

Some TMs deserved to be replaced anyway. I like the new attacks, Low Sweep and Bulldoze because it slows the enemy down on every strike. Now my Arcanine can learn a Ground attack besides Dig.

ManaphyLv100

Legendary Ranger
    Years
  • Finally, Stealth Rock is gone! I hate that move so bad... mainly because Fire and Ice are two of my favourite types.

No Roost = ;_; Seriously, what were they thinking? And Ally Switch is just... No.

If more things could learn Frost Breath, I'd love it. It's a great move. I was planning on trying it with Kingdra... But no. Oh well, that would just have been TOO OP.

The rest I'm fairly relaxed about.

Back