• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 29, 2024
But isnt that kind of irrelevant because we dont even know about fairy moves yet ? (Actually its been irrelevant since gen 3 since the physical/special split but w/e)

Also Azumarril is very bulky. I doubt a unstab neutral steel move will do much against 100/80/80 defenses and certainly wont OHKO.

EDIT:

It also gets Ice Punch to hit grass/poison types on the switch VERY hard.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
But isnt that kind of irrelevant because we dont even know about fairy moves yet ? (Actually its been irrelevant since gen 3 since the phsical/special split but w/e)

Also Azumarril is very bulky. I doubt a unstab neutral steel type will do much against 100/80/80 defenses and certainly wont OHKO.
I agree...besides the dragons won't get stab so even more reason Azu will survive.
We shouldn't jump to conclusions about Fairy moves just yet. Thus far we've only seen a handful.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
But isnt that kind of irrelevant because we dont even know about fairy moves yet ? (Actually its been irrelevant since gen 3 since the physical/special split but w/e)

Also Azumarril is very bulky. I doubt a unstab neutral steel move will do much against 100/80/80 defenses and certainly wont OHKO.

EDIT:

It also gets Ice Punch to hit grass/poison types on the switch VERY hard.

I said that they wouldn't get OHKO'd, though its very possible to kill them in 3 hits even without STAB.

Doing a comparison between Garchomp and Azumarill with Garchomp attacking with one of the more common Steel attacks Iron Tail, it does 115-136 raw damage, No boosts, no EVs no IVs.

If you can get one fully set up it causes major damage.

A +6 Attack Garchomp can One Shot an Azumarill if it switches in and has no bonus, though that is an extreme.

With enough speed, anything can really out do an Azumarill making it as I said, a Punching bag to stall for the right set up or, a more positive way to put it since Punching bag may be the wrong term. Azumarill is a tank. It'll be slow moving, can take a hit, and can dish out some major hurt, but these things are what gives it a major weakness to the speedy hard hitting foes.

All we have to play with are what if scenarios. But even still I completely disagree with the turing the meta game on its ear type of responses because even with these changes, many of the Pokemon effected aren't that great and alone don't make enough impact.

Steel losing Ghost and Dark resistance is a bigger change than Fairy types alone IMO. Metagross, Bronzong, and Jiranchi magically gain 2 more weaknesses that they didn't previously have before.

Only really good thing about Fairy is that they kill Sableye and Spiritomb as neither no longer have no weaknesses. This also opens the door for more Ghost/Dark types to enter.

Years
Let's see if next gen they add another type to fix the type chart again.
I hope not...
@ Xander. You're right about the changes to Steel...it really nerfs the Psychic/Steel types...it should be the Dragon Pseudo's that become nerfed...not Meta...actually...they nerfed all the Pseudo's with all of them but Metagross being weak against Fairy, and Metagross gaining two weaknesses due to the lost of Steel's resistance... Hydreigon got hit pretty hard too with that 4X weakness to Fairy.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
lets se....considering the new weakness

mawhile is pretty much god right now.

Its fire weakness is now neutral. Its fighting weakness is neutral plus it can harm them as well. grass cant harm it bad. poision of course cant hurt it at all. dragon cant hurt it at all. Its only weakness is ground and thats it I think.

(still furious that dark and ghost can harm steel. metagross,jirachi,and bronzong just got a heck of alot of weakness)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
lets se....considering the new weakness

mawhile is pretty much god right now.

Its fire weakness is now neutral. Its fighting weakness is neutral plus it can harm them as well. grass cant harm it bad. poision of course cant hurt it at all. dragon cant hurt it at all. Its only weakness is ground and thats it I think.

(still furious that dark and ghost can harm steel. metagross,jirachi,and bronzong just got a heck of alot of weakness)

Fairy isn't resistant to Fire. Fire resists Fairy so Mawile is still weak to Fire attacks.

Mawile is weak to just Fire and Ground type attacks from what I see. It resists Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Rock, Dark and Fairy. Is Highly resistant (1/4th damage) to Bug Types, and is immune to Poison and Dragon types.

She really isn't that bad, though she will have trouble with some move set balances to make up for her fairly low end stats. UU at best with Mega possibly hitting OU, and I'm being generous because she's actually in a better boat than Azumarill right now.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 29, 2024
I said that they wouldn't get OHKO'd, though its very possible to kill them in 3 hits even without STAB.

Doing a comparison between Garchomp and Azumarill with Garchomp attacking with one of the more common Steel attacks Iron Tail, it does 115-136 raw damage, No boosts, no EVs no IVs.

If you can get one fully set up it causes major damage.

A +6 Attack Garchomp can One Shot an Azumarill if it switches in and has no bonus, though that is an extreme.

If you let something get +6 you actually deserve to lose lol.

Azu runs max Hp and chomp runs max attack with Jolly.

Regardless, STAB EQ hits Azumarril harder than Iron Tail (also has horrible accuracy). So unless we get a levitating fairy, Garchomp wont have to stray from the flawless Ground/Dragon/Fire coverage as STAB EQ will maul grounded fairies just fine whilst fire still maintaining coverage against things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress and Bronzong etc.

Azumarrils niche will probably be walling specs dragons and weaker, less hard hitting ones such as Lati@s, Dragonite, Kingdra, Hydreigon etc.

Garchomp and Haxorus get Swords Dance and as thus are harder to wall as they hit ALOT harder than the aforementioned, the former having STAB EQ to contend as i said earlier and the latter having great neutral coverage and base 147 atk.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Mawile is actually weak to Fire and Ground, Resistant 1/2 to Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Rock, Dark and Fairy, Resistant 1/4 to Bug and Neutral to Water, Electric, Fighting, Ghost and Steel.

Years
Mawile is actually weak to Fire and Ground, Resistant 1/2 to Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Rock, Dark and Fairy, Resistant 1/4 to Bug and Neutral to Water, Electric, Fighting, Ghost and Steel.
And not affected by Dragon and Poison moves!

It's nice to see that it went from having three weaknesses to a mere 2.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
To fairies, nvm didn't read da context of the previous posts.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
To me, Draining Kiss looks like a physical move...
If so, let's hope Azumarill & Mawile can both learn it, as they'd benefit greatly...

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Now that the chart for Fairy has been shown I checked out how confirmed dual fairy types are doing atm and I gotta say Mawile looks to be the best choice for me.

Mawile now has...
2 immunities (Poison and Dragon)
Takes 0.25x damage from 1 type (Bug)
Takes 0.5x damage from 8 types! (Fairy, Dark, Rock, Psychic, Flying, Ice, Grass, & Normal)
Takes normal damage from 5 types (Steel, Ghost, Fight, Electric, & Water)
Takes 2x damage from only 2 types (Fire and Ground)

For a dual typed Pokemon to have no 4x weakness, only 2 2x weaknesses, 2 immunities, and a crap load of resistances is awesome. Especially since a lot of the Pokemon that use to be able to achieve this were nerfed. Mega Mawile is going to be a scary Pokemon imo.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, Steel losing two resistances is a step in the right direction, although attacking wise it picked up strength. Although I suppose it needed to happen to make it a more viable attacking option...

I wonder how dark types will fair after this. I'm not too sure they needed the weakness and being able to hit Steels decently may not be the most useful tradeoff.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
The only type I could ever really see getting remotely nerfed is Dark. I cannot for the life of me think of any distinct advantage that Dark has this generation, seeing as it has another type resisting it (Fairy), so it would definitely struggle in the battlefield for some spotlight.

Then again, you can't knock Dark out just yet! I feel this was to create some sort of nice balance in things. Yes, Ghost types might become more powerful as a result of allowing them to strike Steel-types neutrally, but keep in mind that Dark types do also exist to check/counter Ghosts, as well! So the pressure is definitely on dark types to make sure that Ghosts aren't getting out of hand, and you'd have to use poison and steel types to get rid of fairies so your dark types can safely get rid of opposing ghosts.

That's how I see it. n_n
& the Dark-type is STILL immune to Psychic & hit them super-effectivly.
& there are powerful Psychics, like Alakazam (which is rumored to get a mega evolution) & Reuniclus.
So I'm not too worried about the future of the Dark-type, they will still have their uses.

Back to the Fairies...
Does anyone else think Pikachu could become Electric/Fairy?
(I think so, since it's in the Fairy egg group...)

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Does anyone else think Pikachu could become Electric/Fairy?
(I think so, since it's in the Fairy egg group...)

They invented a whole new electric mouse to avoid changing pikachu. Dendee or something. Looks exactly like pikachu, but fairy/electric type.

I have ALWAYS been a fan of Mawile, now it is actually USABLE in battle!!!!????

Back