• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Let's have a look and see if we can argue each of these typing advantages/disadvantages into sense.

Beats Fighting, Dark and Dragon - Fairies can be thought to use magical powers. Magic is often thought to be able to overcome brute force and sneaky/dirty tricks (the point of Dark types), whole faeries used to overcome dragons has some basis in legends.

Not effective on Fire, Poison or Steel - I can't say I have a good one for fire rn, but the others makes sense. Fairies often have strong ties to nature and myths. What's bad for the natural world? Poison sure is! And steel - I suppose one could argue that manmade, artificial things can hurt fairies.

Resists Fighting, Dark and Bug. It is immune to Dragon. - See above for the first two, although it being fully immune to Dragon is a surprise. Bugs - well, they also have a tie to nature - I suppose one could say that Fairies just know how to deal with them and heal up against a common foe.
Fairy beats dark could also represent the tricky nature of fairies themselves...aka they outmaneuver even the Evil type when it comes to sneakiness and deceit...as in myths fairies were notorious for being tricksters.

Btw this confirms Hydreigon's 4x weakness to Fairy...no wonder it was shown being defeated by Sylveon in official art...

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Good point there too.

So I guess the most questionable of those is the fire resisting it one, from a logic standpoint (rather than a game-balancing one). Mind you, they're not always the most solid reasoning, typings. Have you tried to punch a bird?

Years
Good point there too.

So I guess the most questionable of those is the fire resisting it one, from a logic standpoint (rather than a game-balancing one). Mind you, they're not always the most solid reasoning, typings. Have you tried to punch a bird?
Lol. So true. But then again it is the flying type and it's hard to hit something that flying without losing attitude and thus power {XD}

bobandbill

one more time
Years
So you have tried punching birds! You... you monster.

The fairy typing hurts a few Pokemon, such as giving Scrafty a quadruple weakness. Someone else pointed out however that Heatran does well against them (well, as long as they don't have a ground move, anyway).

Years
So you have tried punching birds! You... you monster.

The fairy typing hurts a few Pokemon, such as giving Scrafty a quadruple weakness. Someone else pointed out however that Heatran does well against them (well, as long as they don't have a ground move, anyway).
I would never hit a bit. I have seen some mean kids try too...they got hit by them though xD Even seen some throw rocks at them...

Yeah Heatran currently seems like the best wall against the Fairy type. Thus far from the ones we know only Marill (and I'm assuming Azumarill here) can stand against it with STAB moves.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'm not entirely happy with the new type chart. While I'm glad that it's weak to Poison, it should've been resistant to Dragon rather than immune, and it shouldn't have resisted Bug. Also, I wish the Ice type resisted it.

Also, Steel loses its resistances to Ghost and Dark? This makes Bronzong, Jirachi, and Metagross cry... Why didn't they give new resistances to the Ice type instead?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm not entirely happy with the new type chart. While I'm glad that it's weak to Poison, it should've been resistant to Dragon rather than immune, and it shouldn't have resisted Bug. Also, I wish the Ice type resisted it.

Also, Steel loses its resistances to Ghost and Dark? This makes Bronzong, Jirachi, and Metagross cry... Why didn't they give new resistances to the Ice type instead?

I agree with you only on the Dragon part. This is the dumbest mistake that I hope gets rectoned later down the line, but I'll deal with it because thanks to this Fairy Types have a really good chance of being pathetically weak.

Gardevoir is now weak to an element she has always been strong against and even more weak to an Element she was never very good against.

Marill can be taken out by the most common Water Pokemon Tentacool.

Last edited:

Years
I agree with you only on the Dragon part. This is the dumbest mistake that I hope gets rectoned later down the line, but I'll deal with it because thanks to this Fairy Types have a really good chance of being pathetically weak.

Gardevoir is now weak to an element she has always been strong against and even more weak to an Element she was never very good against.

Gardevoir is interesting as it's now weak to two types one of it's types is strong against with psychic taking down Poison types and Fairy taking down Dark types...and it now it has two types to deal with fighting types {XD}

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years

I disagree with your point about Fairy's being weak. I actually see the Fairy type becoming very competitively viable. The main reasoning being, they're very anti-metagame. While dragons were OP in OU due to their high base stats and great neutral coverage, Fairy's will be a check for many OU staples. They also have 2 very uncommon weaknesses, which pokemon will have to start carrying for
the purpose of dealing with Fairy-types only. Poison is an otherwise useless type offensively, as is steel, so I only see a few pokemon being viable with being fairy checks, mainly Scizor and Gengar, though Tentacruel does warrant mention as you said. Azumarill in my opinion will probably become incredibly competitively viable, due to the added resistance to Fighting and great secondary stab.

My biggest issue though is the steel nerf. I honestly see it ruining alot of great Pokemon, and making Ghost types fairly overpowered. Gengar for example would no longer need to carry the inaccurate Focus Blast, but could instead pick up Sludge Bomb to deal with Fairy-types or something, while ploughing through most Pokemon with a neutral Shadow Ball. Dark, I guess would need a power buff due to a new resistance and weakness, though it still seems odd.

I really want to love X and Y, but to me this radical change of the type system seems odd. There could be much better ways to check Dragons, and I already thought that Dark and Fighting types were fairly plain defensively, so an extra weakness to me, would make them struggle alot. Tyranitar for example, really didn't need another weakness.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Here's a more in-depth fairy type chart.
pX7HFFD.png

Also the Rock/Ice and Rock/Dragon fossil aren't that good on defensive aspect both having 5 weaknesses and the ice one having a x4.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I disagree with your point about Fairy's being weak. I actually see the Fairy type becoming very competitively viable. The main reasoning being, they're very anti-metagame. While dragons were OP in OU due to their high base stats and great neutral coverage, Fairy's will be a check for many OU staples. They also have 2 very uncommon weaknesses, which pokemon will have to start carrying for
the purpose of dealing with Fairy-types only. Poison is an otherwise useless type offensively, as is steel, so I only see a few pokemon being viable with being fairy checks, mainly Scizor and Gengar, though Tentacruel does warrant mention as you said. Azumarill in my opinion will probably become incredibly competitively viable, due to the added resistance to Fighting and great secondary stab.

My biggest issue though is the steel nerf. I honestly see it ruining alot of great Pokemon, and making Ghost types fairly overpowered. Gengar for example would no longer need to carry the inaccurate Focus Blast, but could instead pick up Sludge Bomb to deal with Fairy-types or something, while ploughing through most Pokemon with a neutral Shadow Ball. Dark, I guess would need a power buff due to a new resistance and weakness, though it still seems odd.

I really want to love X and Y, but to me this radical change of the type system seems odd. There could be much better ways to check Dragons, and I already thought that Dark and Fighting types were fairly plain defensively, so an extra weakness to me, would make them struggle alot. Tyranitar for example, really didn't need another weakness.

Steel isn't that uncommon. Many Pokemon use Steel type attacks, a lot of good ones at that. They'd be used more for Fairy Types that's for sure, even on Dragon Type Pokemon who can learn Iron Tail and Metal Claw.

Marill doesn't have that great of a secondary typing boost as its main focus is on Physical attacks thanks to Huge Power. So far Fairy is a Special Type focus which leaves Marill with next to nothing in terms of attack power and makes it weak to some commonly used Pokemon like Tentacruel who is used to set up Toxic Spikes and as a spinner.

A lot of Fairy Type Pokemon look weak stat wise as opposed to Dragons, so I don't even see them having great stats other than the ones that were remade into Fairy Types. Even then they are only good against 3 Pokemon. One of which really isn't that common unless its Lucario (Fighting...which resists it as a Steel type and Lucario learns some Steel attacks so it can easily beat Fairy Types), Dragon which are common, Dark which are a mixture of Common to Uncommon. In all honestly I barely ever see Dark Types outside of like four or five Pokemon.

I don't see an incredible amount of change right now other than the heavy unbalancing they just introduced. Fairy I just don't see getting a lot of practical use I can see some types dropping out of unneeded fear but some may not even change.

I see a lot of Fairy Checks with the current set up that we have, but my experiences are different from everyone else and I can only speak from what I see on a daily basis.

I agree with you that things should have been done differently. Only solace to some players is Ice really WASN'T touched, though you can say they should have been cause they need a boost based on all the voices echoing in the distance.

Years
Fairy's type advantages & resistances are going to flip competitive battling on its head. Immunity to Dragon? That alone will change everything. Things like Azumarill will become ridiculously strong dragon killers. It will cause a domino effect that will re-order the balance of power when it comes to typing. New Pokemon will see the light of UU, OU, and Ubers. Some will fall down to NU, RU, etc. A lot will change.

Offensively, Fairy type is strong against Fighting, Dark and Dragon; and not very effective against Steel, Poison and Fire. Defensively, Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel; resists Bug, Fighting and Dark; and is immune to Dragon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Fairy's type advantages & resistances are going to flip competitive battling on its head. Immunity to Dragon? That alone will change everything. Things like Azumarill will become ridiculously strong dragon killers. It will cause a domino effect that will re-order the balance of power when it comes to typing. New Pokemon will see the light of UU, OU, and Ubers. Some will fall down to NU, RU, etc. A lot will change.

Typing alone won't be enough to do that though. With exception to the retyped Fairies, I don't see this happening with a good number of the current set.

Azumarill still suffers from a lack of attacks to even use effectively and with a petty 50 base for Special Attack its pretty much just a punching bag to stall dragons who can use Steel attacks. I doubt any can one shot it without a proper set up, but still it'll be a punching back to stall against them.

Gardevoir is much better as a Dragon killer though she's fairly frail to physical assaults and is outsped by some of the more physical dragons. Steel attacks of Dragons as a Fairy check won't be that uncommon.

Years
Typing alone won't be enough to do that though. With exception to the retyped Fairies, I don't see this happening with a good number of the current set.

Azumarill still suffers from a lack of attacks to even use effectively and with a petty 50 base for Special Attack its pretty much just a punching bag to stall dragons who can use Steel attacks. I doubt any can one shot it without a proper set up, but still it'll be a punching back to stall against them.

Gardevoir is much better as a Dragon killer though she's fairly frail to physical assaults and is outsped by some of the more physical dragons. Steel attacks of Dragons as a Fairy check won't be that uncommon.
Steel isn't very effective against water though...so it'll be neutral damage...
Also we still don't know how the Gen V Fairies will perform...some could be strong despite their looks.

Years

The CB Huge Power set for Azumarill [Ice Punch/Waterfall/Superpower/Aqua Jet] has an attack stat of 654, sooooo special attack is meaningless. Throw Fairy typing and a Dragon immunity in there, and it's hard to imagine it not wreaking some havoc.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Steel isn't very effective against water though...so it'll be neutral damage...
Also we still don't know how the Gen V Fairies will perform...some could be strong despite their looks.

Its highly doubtful their appearance wouldn't reflect their stats. Even the ones retyped aren't that great. As for Marill yes I know, which means Steel is now doing raw damage and Marill lost the edge it once had over steel types so he takes more damage than before.

A high damage Steel attack from a Dragon Type will still do a lot of damage since its no longer resisted.

Years
The CB Huge Power set for Azumarill [Ice Punch/Waterfall/Superpower/Aqua Jet] has an attack stat of 654, sooooo special attack is meaningless. Throw Fairy typing and a Dragon immunity in there, and it's hard to imagine it not wreaking some havoc.
Well he's saying that because he beleives Fairy moves will mostly be special and there won't be many physical moves for Azumarill or Megamawile for that matter to use...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Well Azumarill will be weak to Electric Grass and Poison, the Grass/Poison pokemon will resist Azumarill stab attacks too.

Back