• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Nakala Pri

That must mean... NINFIA IS FAIRY TYPE! I agree, Fairy being effective against Dragon type is just... weird. They are totally unrelated!

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I'm gonna to piss myself from the name of this type Jesus Christ.
But sadly I kind of like it, because they finally added another weakness on dragons.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Fairy might be weak against Fire too at some point, since most fairies are bug-like in form. Maybe it'll be strong against Dark-types or even weak against them too.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I feel the same way...
Also I don't think Fairy is girly at all, that a modern connotation of society today. I mean in the past Red was boy and Blue was seen as girly. Look at us now having blue be boyish. Also seems a bit old fashion to think of things as boyish or girlish...just saying.

Anyways back to the type. I remember something which may explain why Marill is fairy. In many legends fairies were water creatures. Combine that with the fact Marill's evolution is a rabbit and the asian myth of the moon rabbit(and two of the four known having a link to the moon) it makes some sense.

Years
The fairy typing being strong agianst dragons makes perfect sense if you into the fantasy stuff. In almost all books fairies of some sort have powers that can either control or defeat dragons. Tinkerbell is the worst fairy example ever also. I love this idea and really hope they make some dark fairys like the ones in folklore that would steal children.

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Oh man! It feels good to be right! lol

Anyway, I think the "too feminine" complaints are pretty silly. Pokemon is filled to the brim with cute, fluffy and pink creatures, but a fairy type is too far?

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
I think it's not so bad afterall for fairies to be immune to dragons, btw which pokemon are you expecting to be reclassified as fairy type? Here's a list of mine:

Celfairy
Clefable
Wigglytuff
Gothitelle
Milotic
Celebi
Manaphy
Phione
Cresselia
Meloetta

Years
If Celebi loses the Psychic type for the Fairy type I'm guessing it'll be seeing more use than it already has as it'll lose it's 4x weakness against bug, and can now hit dragons while still keeping it's psychic moves...

I see Mew becoming Fairy...and maybe Victini...and Shaymin land forme, and Jiranchi...along with Phione and Manaphy.

I also see Raichu and Happiny (and happiny's evolutions) becoming part fairy

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
I wasn't on board with this at first, but I have to say that I kind of like the idea now. I know some people think it may be a little too late in the franchise to throw another type into the mix, but its sort of goes with the theme that Pokémon has been building for the past 15 years. I mean, if the narrative of the Pokémon has always been that there's so much to explore and that there's still so much we don't know about Pokémon, then the discovery/adding of a new type, even this late, makes a lot of sense. I think it would have gone against the theme if it was stated that we know all of the typings after Steel and Dark were discovered, the end.

I have no objections with the new type but... if it's going to be immune to dragons then I'm really not happy first Dragon type was one of my favorates second it makes no sense to me to be immune to them, well dragon type Pokémon well have good stats but they're only super effective to each other which makes dragon type useless on every other Pokémon!

In my opinion GF should make both types super effective on each other, this will make the balance much more suitable to me.

Well, I don't actually know if they said that they were immune to Dragon types. It seems so far that they are just super effective against Dragon types. Also, even if Dragons are only super effective against themselves, they're always good to have on a team because they have really high defense against some of the more basic types, like Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric. I think Ice is the only other type that's super effective against them anyways.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I was wondering whether Gamefreak should have invented a "Knight" type instead... Since knights are strong against dragons. Maybe even a Knight Pokémon, Fighting/Fairy... The Buster Blader from Yu-Gi-Oh was a "Warrior" card and magic cards that supported Warrior cards generally boosted them against Dragon cards.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
Initially I was wary of the idea due to it seeming unnecessary (changing types of past Pokemon, etc.) but after reading some of the theories and explanations of past posters I actually like it.
I do strongly agree the Dragon type needed to be stripped of it's superiority because it was getting ridiculous.

For all who are claiming the title "Fairy" is effeminate or not the best choice, here's the thing:
Fairy is a much broader spectrum than say the name Magic or Lunar. Those types of names would restrict the members in a way, such as Magic being similar to Psychic and Lunar having a Lunatone/Solrock-esque feel. So I believe Fairy is the best choice.

Also, just as Belldandy said, Fairy perfectly matches Dragon since it is also a mythical creature.

Eh, just my two cents. :)

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I'm starting to think Fairy Pokemon are cool. I'm adding a Cleffable to my team if I can.

I'm hoping that Yevtal is a Fairy Dragon.
I almost know for fact that Xerneas is a Fairy, just look at his horns. Yevtal doesn't look like a Fairy, but I'm thinking they will both be Dual-Type Fairy.

Xerneas looks Steel/Fairy

Yevtal looks Dragon/Fairy

thedhp

TheDavidPearson
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 21, 2016
I really hope they don't make Yveltal a Fairy Dragon. I'm thinking that it's going to be a dark/dragon and Xerneas is going to be a Fairy, maybe even a Fairy/Steel like you said.

It makes sense because the art makes Yveltal look evil and Xerneas would be the one to save/protect the world from Yveltal? Hense promoting the cause of Fairies?

Last edited:

Years
Maybe they'll do the same thing as RS did and make Xerneas the strong one and Yvetal the one whose weak against Xerneas. At this point as far as we know that'll mean that Yvetal would need to be part Dragon and Xerneas part Fairy.

Anyways I'm hoping that the Fairy type will dive deeper in time to the days of the amoral fairies for their designs.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
The Jigglypuff Line was Confirmed as NORMAL/FAIRY, Right?

Will the Clefairy Line be NORMAL/FAIRY?

Fairy is in their name. I see no reason to be dual-type anything. But all the other "retro-fairys" have been mono types with FAIRY tacked on.

I've said this before. There is NOTHING NORMAL about CLEFAIRY. IT LIVES ON THE MOON. It's face is in its belly. It's PANK.

Clefairy would be Awesome if it became a Pure FAIRY Type?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Dragon Type would still be OP as Xander say as long as both Ice and Fairy type doesn't have good enough Pokemon. Gardevoir is good, but it just one Pokemon while there are many Dragon type to boot.

Clefairy lines definitely would become part of Fairy-type. If not, then Gamefreak just probably trolling us.....
I hope Shuppet and Bannette become fariy type too, to add more flavor into Fairy-type.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
My prediction for the Fairy type was correct, although it was heavily influenced by GameXplain's analyse videos. I'll never forget how I shut my friends up who were going on about 'There's not going to be a new type since it would disrupt the type balance blah blah...'. :3

Dragon Type would still be OP as Xander say as long as both Ice and Fairy type doesn't have good enough Pokemon. Gardevoir is good, but it just one Pokemon while there are many Dragon type to boot.

Clefairy lines definitely would become part of Fairy-type. If not, then Gamefreak just probably trolling us.....
I hope Shuppet and Bannette become fariy type too, to add more flavor into Fairy-type.
I'm sure GameFreak would convert stronger Pokemon to the Fairy type. They're certainly planning on creating stronger Fairy Pokemon in the near future, those would be revealed soon enough.

Years
Guys I think it is very funny to see Fairy types like Jigglypuff having an advantage over Dragon types like Hydreigon. What do you say!!!!. Then they should also make Dragons having advantage of Fairy Types as well

Back