• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
On DEFENSIVE Typing .Of all 18 elemental types, which types are Fairy most likely to interact with?

Ghost, Dark, Psychic (the Spooky Triad) and Dragon. (and steel and poison)

Fairy has to have a weakness to 1 of these, or more.

It will probably be neutral or resistant to dragon.

It could be weak to STEEL, based on ultra-common Fairy lore.

We WANT it to be weak to POISON, because POISON needs some love offensively.

I don't think any other element is likely to play a role here.

How will Ghost, Dark, and Psychic affect them?

Nakala Pri

On DEFENSIVE Typing .Of all 18 elemental types, which types are Fairy most likely to interact with?

You have something going there. Poison HAS to be effective against Fairy! If it isn't I will scream. xD Plus I love Conquest! :P

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
what happens if fairy turns out to be OP? I'm going to laugh endlessly if that happens, then ill cry. But seriously, do we know what fairy is weak to?

Years
I somehow think that Fairy having an advantage over Dragon is somewhat compatible, only because I think of the type matchup of putting good up against evil, in which most cases, good wins. That's just how I think of it. :3c

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
My prediction for the Fairy type was correct, although it was heavily influenced by GameXplain's analyse videos. I'll never forget how I shut my friends up who were going on about 'There's not going to be a new type since it would disrupt the type balance blah blah...'. :3

I'm sure GameFreak would convert stronger Pokemon to the Fairy type. They're certainly planning on creating stronger Fairy Pokemon in the near future, those would be revealed soon enough.

Well, I hope so. So far, the only reliable Fairy-type Pokemon is Gardevoir, and that is only Pokemon against many. We should have at least 3 or 4 usable Fairy-type Pokemon in the pool.
what happens if fairy turns out to be OP? I'm going to laugh endlessly if that happens, then ill cry. But seriously, do we know what fairy is weak to?
Hardly unlikely unless Gamefreak introduces 3 or 4 Pokemon that is so OP that they can put Garchomp to shame. Dragon still OP because their wide movepool and excellent total stats.
God Damnit! I cant wait for my Dragonite to get raped by a cleffable. Yay

And Gardevoir... why? Why Gardevoir?

Knight type? It wouldnt make sense, I mean, which pokemon would you include as ¨Knights¨
Probably because Gardevoir resemble magical creature, or maybe even a homunculus. It kinda natural and have no problem from design perspective. I can also suspect that Mr. Mime and its pre evo would ber part Fairy-type as well.

Escavalier, but Knight is status, or job or occupation of people. It is like naming Fairy-type as mage or Witch-type, Poison-type as Rogue-type, or Water-Type as Navy-Type. That is plain silly.

I somehow think that Fairy having an advantage over Dragon is somewhat compatible, only because I think of the type matchup of putting good up against evil, in which most cases, good wins. That's just how I think of it. :3c

Nope, that is not the case. Actual Faeries in European folk-lore usually are crazy, incomprehensible, or even plain evil. So does Dragon, while they are depicted as evil incarnate in Western mythology, Dragon is symbol of luck and prosperity out there in Eastern mythos. Never put any type match-up on good/evil basis, because that is subjective, and shallow in story perspective.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Just look at this:
Spoiler:

It just sad to see stupid people like: "Haha! Now my Jigglypuff can beat the sh*t out of Salamence and Garchomp!".

I mean, if you want to defeat Garchomp and Salamence with your Jigglypuff, why waiting? Just teach it Blizzard. It will hit with 4x the power rather than just 2x + STAB of any fairy type move (Assuming that it isn't SE against Flying or Ground).

Anyway, you'll still lose because, you know, stats count. The dragons will attack first and blow up your little baloon before it can even do anything.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Just look at this:
Spoiler:

It just sad to see stupid people like: "Haha! Now my Jigglypuff can beat the sh*t out of Salamence and Garchomp!".

I mean, if you want to defeat Garchomp and Salamence with your Jigglypuff, why waiting? Just teach it Blizzard. It will hit with 4x the power rather than just 2x + STAB of any fairy type move (Assuming that it isn't SE against Flying or Ground).

Anyway, you'll still lose because, you know, stats count. The dragons will attack first and blow up your little baloon before it can even do anything.

Meh, those people who exagerrate thing probably just troll or simply brainless. Those who played long enough would know that Dragon is OP simply not only because their type matchup, but their stats and flexible move-pool they can learn. Even me who don't delve into competitive gameplay knows that very well.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years

Most of the Retro-Fairies are NORMAL-FAIRY (if Clefable isn't pure Fairy I will laugh, his jap name IS Pixie) Normal Types are IMMUNE to Ghost. If Pure-Fairy is weak to ghost, all of the Normal-Fairy would have a distinct advantage. I think Ghost Will be Super-Effective on Fairy to give the Normal-Fairy-Type and advantage over the Pure-Fairy-Type.

We want Poison to be super-effective against Fairy because it is only good against Grass-Type. (which most are poison anyway, dissolving the advantage.) Psychic is only SE against one type also. While Psychic are already much better offensively than Poison, their STAB is only good againt Fighting. This would give Non-Psychics a reason to carry Psychic moves they would otherwise pass on.

So, Here is my DEFENSIVE TYPE EFFECTIVENESS CHART.

Weakness to Steel, Poison, Ghost, Psychic (or just 3 of 4)

Resistance to Dragon (maybe)

There is a rumor that Fairy is immune to Dragon, I DON'T think that will happen. Jigglypuff is not Immune to Draco Meteor. It is a rock from space - it hurts.

Anyone else have ideas on Defensive Typing?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Most of the Retro-Fairies are NORMAL-FAIRY (if Clefable isn't pure Fairy I will laugh, his jap name IS Pixie) Normal Types are IMMUNE to Ghost. If Pure-Fairy is weak to ghost, all of the Normal-Fairy would have a distinct advantage. I think Ghost Will be Super-Effective on Fairy to give the Normal-Fairy-Type and advantage over the Pure-Fairy-Type.

We want Poison to be super-effective against Fairy because it is only good against Grass-Type. (which most are poison anyway, dissolving the advantage.) Psychic is only SE against one type also. While Psychic are already much better offensively than Poison, their STAB is only good againt Fighting. This would give Non-Psychics a reason to carry Psychic moves they would otherwise pass on.

So, Here is my DEFENSIVE TYPE EFFECTIVENESS CHART.

Weakness to Steel, Poison, Ghost, Psychic (or just 3 of 4)

Resistance to Dragon (maybe)

There is a rumor that Fairy is immune to Dragon, I DON'T think that will happen. Jigglypuff is not Immune to Draco Meteor. It is a rock from space - it hurts.

Anyone else have ideas on Defensive Typing?

Based on the Smash Fairy is Weak to Poison and SE against Ice.

As for your match ups you posted...Psychic is SE to Poison and Fighting type Pokemon. There is more than one type.

As for what we've seen so far with typing older Pokemon: I'm going to say they are only going to touch Pokemon with one type and "Add" Fairy type to them making them Dual typed. So Clefairy and Snubbull will be Normal/Fairy IF they get their type changed.

Saw some comments about Ralts, Only Gardevoir was confirmed. Ralts and Kirlia may stay pure psychic since they can evolve into a Psychic/Fighting type as well.

Kinda hope they add Dragon resistance to other older types like Ice types. Not just to fairies.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
If Fairy SE against Ice, then Ice-type practically near useless now as they have too many weaknesses with too little offense advantage. We know that Ice-type worth something because they are the only type that SE against Dragon beside itself. While other Ice offense advantage easily replaced by something else. Use Fire for grass, Water for Ground, and Electric for Flying. With too many weaknesses, the STAB isn't worth it. It'll be better ito use Water Pokemon for Ice attack.

They add one potential strong type while in the meantime they make another already weak type into near-useless state. Well, this is rather harsh isn't it?

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I would have been happy with it, but the name is off-putting for me. They have a lot of semi-adult fans, if not adults, they should realize we care too. Also, if it makes ice obsolete (Ice was my favorite type) I'd be kinda annoyed as well.

D Dog master of war

In the heart of battle!
Years
...... Wwwwwwwwwhhhhhyyyyyyy? Why did they call it fairy type? There's always a chance Trollfreak can call them light. And I like the type so far. But I hope they leave most of the older pokemon alone. And this type might be weak like bug( as with moves and most pokemon).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 16, 2014
One of the reasons Dragon seems to be so OP other than stats and junk, is that a lot of them are legendaries/psuedo legendaries. There aren't many just normal dragon Pokemon out there. Like maybe Kingdra, Druddigon, I know there's a few more but that's what's coming to me right now. They need to make some lower tier dragons for the playthrough and not make them OP. Not every dragon has to be a destructive, awesome, powerful monster.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Personally feel that the new Fairy type is perfectly fine. Dragons had to be taken down a peg, and this is a perfect way to do so. As for those who are complaining about the name choice, get real. It's simply a name, and it makes perfect sense if you forget the PG stuff Disney's taught us. Look up some mythology, fairies could be downright scary sometimes.

Anyway, I'm just really hyped that Azumarill might become OU. Cause I always loved that line.

Edit: Forgot to say. If you really don't like it, don't use it. Don't complain when your Haxorus keeps getting KOed though.

franko94

Master Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2013
I think this harms the prospect of the Generation III remakes because it removes the hardest of the elite 4 members because of Fairy being S/E against Dragon, as well as the fact that the easily-obtained Marill is now a competitive advantage over Salamance and Flygon. That's my only gripe about it until they decide that Pikachu can learn a Fairy type move.

Years
I think this harms the prospect of the Generation III remakes because it removes the hardest of the elite 4 members because of Fairy being S/E against Dragon, as well as the fact that the easily-obtained Marill is now a competitive advantage over Salamance and Flygon. That's my only gripe about it until they decide that Pikachu can learn a Fairy type move.

I imagine that there would be a massive number of things they'd need to reconsider and alter, should Game Freak develop an RSE remake. With a larger pokedex, new moves, abilities (plus the phy/spec split), etc, I don't think the new type would make THAT much of a difference. On the contrary, I believe it may breathe some new life into older games; Pokemon like Azumarill will rise out of uselessness and Gardevoir will be more interesting, which is important given its role as Wally's mascot.

I hope Fairy promotes some of the more obscure types, like making it resisted by Ice and Grass.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I hope Fairy promotes some of the more obscure types, like making it resisted by Ice and Grass.

This, Ice and Grass in particular need some balancing out, they are far to disadvantaged right now, as well as Poison and Steel to a lesser extent. I really can't see Grass and Ice being super effective against Fairy, so maybe Fairy can just be resisted by Ice and Grass like you said.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
I guess the name Fairy is a bit weird but okay... I mean it's only a name after all and even if I'm not very good at Pokémon (for now :p) I see how Dragons "mess up" the game somewhat by being overpowered. Balance is good, it keeps a game fresh.

Back