• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Types?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Do you think in the next pokemon game that they will add a new type to a pokemon, since over the years theyve added steal and dark pokemon.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Well, Steel and Dark were both added in the Johto Games, and so far we have had two more Generations with out any new types.

Next Generation MIGHT reveal two new types but I fail to see what they could be, unless it was something like "Wood" and "Light" (as in a Holy or Religious sense)

Light:
    Super Effective against: Poison, Dark, Ghost
    Weak Against: Dark, Psychic

Wood:
    Super Effective against, Ground, Rock, Grass, Bug, Flying
    Weak Against, Fire, Lightning, Fighting

They're just ideas I came up with off the top of my head so nothing too special.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Knowing Japan, I'm still surprised there's no Light type.

I don't think they will add any types though, which is really a shame if nothing else.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Plus, we all know how Nintendo does not like change.

Umm, sweetie. Would you like to please back up that statement, because that is truly wrong.

Anyway sweeties, I'm still hoping for a Light type in the fifth generation, sweeties. We have a Dark type, but no counter part.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Umm, sweetie. Would you like to please back up that statement, because that is truly wrong.

Anyway sweeties, I'm still hoping for a Light type in the fifth generation, sweeties. We have a Dark type, but no counter part.

"Giggle... OK, lets get started, OK sweetie just relax... "

Are you the suspicious groomer lady in Vielstone? It seems like it.

Anyway, I agree, Light seems like the most Obvious choice for a new type, I wouldn't mind wood though hah.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2009
    Hehe, that's odd xD I was thinking about this yesterday and I came up with the same two types ^^ but I guess Light is a pretty obvious one

I doubt they'll add any more though .__.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I really, really doubt that there will ever be any new types. As per your suggestions, Wood is too similar to Grass. And Light.. well, I think in my mind that there just won't be a Light type. Ever.

But now, think about it the other way. Why did they add Dark and Steel types in the second generation anyways?

If you thought, "Because the Psychic type was too strong", you get an internet cookie. Notice that both Steel and Dark types resist/are immune to Psychic respectively? They were basically designed to balance the gameplay, preventing early R/B/Y Pokémon like Mewtwo and Alakazam from dominating the metagame.

Seeing as there's nothing like that going on now, I doubt that there will be any new types.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • Why add new types when there are so many problems with the ones right now. There are way too many water types and not enough of other like dragon, steel, dark, ghost; a lot of types are almost non existent early in the game.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm lazy. So...
    I really, really doubt that there will ever be any new types. As per your suggestions, Wood is too similar to Grass. And Light.. well, I think in my mind that there just won't be a Light type. Ever.

But now, think about it the other way. Why did they add Dark and Steel types in the second generation anyways?

If you thought, "Because the Psychic type was too strong", you get an internet cookie. Notice that both Steel and Dark types resist/are immune to Psychic respectively? They were basically designed to balance the gameplay, preventing early R/B/Y Pokémon like Mewtwo and Alakazam from dominating the metagame.

Seeing as there's nothing like that going on now, I doubt that there will be any new types.
    What he said. =P

Basically, there is no giant imbalance of doom evident in the 4th generation akin to the one that was clearly evident in R/B/Y. Psychic Pokemon ran rampent completely amongst other problems, hence why they added the two new types. Now there is no need for it - some imbalence but hardly anything drastic, and new types could disbalence it anyway.

Plus, adding new types may bring determental affects. If you happen to know how Hidden Power works for the 3rd/4th gen, than you'd know that the type of Hidden Power you get (and the power) depends on your Pokemon IVs. If suddenly new types were added in, a reinvention of the IV system would have to be implemented (unless they were really clever about it). And that could stop Pokemon being able to be traded to (possible) 5th gen games. That was why (at least partly) you can't trade from the 2nd to 3rd gen - the IVs changed dramatically.

And I'd like to be able to trade between 4th/5th gen games if they come out (I think there would be a 5th gen though), personally. -_-

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Why add new types when there are so many problems with the ones right now. There are way too many water types and not enough of other like dragon, steel, dark, ghost; a lot of types are almost non existent early in the game.

I really don't get your reasoning behind this. Those types are almost non-existent early in-game because that's simply the way Nintendo makes things. The type spread among the Pokémon won't ever really change whether or not Nintendo will add another type; it'll always just be like that, with a few Dragon types per generation, and tons of Water types.

And I'd like to be able to trade between 4th/5th gen games if they come out (I think there would be a 5th gen though), personally. -_-

Well, I'd figure that as long as Pokémon is making money for Nintendo and as long as there's this giant fanbase that makes sites like this, there'll always be another gen. So I'm definitely expecting a 5th gen, whether others aren't or not. :P

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • I really don't get your reasoning behind this. Those types are almost non-existent early in-game because that's simply the way Nintendo makes things. The type spread among the Pokémon won't ever really change whether or not Nintendo will add another type; it'll always just be like that, with a few Dragon types per generation, and tons of Water types.

And that doesn't annoy you? Don't you think it would be cool to be able to catch some other types early in the game?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    And that doesn't annoy you? Don't you think it would be cool to be able to catch some other types early in the game?

Sometimes it does, although I generally don't care what types I have in my team throughout in-game; I usually own my way through without a moment's doubt. :P

But that still doesn't really give a reason for Nintendo to invent new types..

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
  • I really can't imagine any more types. Light...Well.. I really couldn't imagine that since we have Electric which can basicly be used as Light.

Wood, well. That would be pretty weak to everything wouldn't it? Besides Ghost.

pkmn mstr ketz

i love you too
    Years
  • well i think they should add light too, they have got dark, so it would make sense. anyway there is dark and ghost already and thats quite confusin cuz they pretty similar. some sort of space or time move would be pretty awesome.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I agree with pretty much the first three posts I saw. I highly doubt they'll add new types, but on the off chance that they do, I'd love to see a Light-type Pokémon.

Kamakazai

私は神の風午前!
    Years
  • I really can't imagine any more types. Light...Well.. I really couldn't imagine that since we have Electric which can basicly be used as Light.

Wood, well. That would be pretty weak to everything wouldn't it? Besides Ghost.

You didn't read the post did you? Light in the holy aspect. Maybe we should say Angel type so that people actually know what were talking about >.>

And wood type? Come on people wood is grass with a different name. Personally I never understood why it was grass pokemon and not Plant pokemon considering grass is very specific.

Back